Bluelight

Thread: Movie Reviews Part 3 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234561222 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    <3 
    Heart
    I just came back from watching Children Of Men and I would have to say it was a stunning piece of cinema.
    This film really chews up its audience by subjecting them to some of the most bleak and moving imagery with amazing speed and force.

This movie moves at an insane pace and can lose you at times, flying over unimportant plot details. That said, I found it always stayed within my grasp.

The acting was superb and I felt this as well as script and cinematography really added to the gritty realism being portrayed.

The film was stimulating and engrossing at all times with the odd random flicker of humour appearing on screen.

Most importantly for me, the whole premise was believable; this really helped it to pack its powerful punch and added weight to its message.

The only down-side for me was the soundtrack. The musical score should be something the viewer shouldn't be overly aware of in my opinion. It's main purpose is to lift you through the scene changes and highlight the different emotions taking place between the characters in a subtle and complimentary way. This score was almost entirely made up of Beatles wannabe' Brit-soft-rock tunes [which I actually really enjoy], and I grew tired of the repetition by the second half of the movie. It was just too too much by the end.
    Reading through the credits I was surprised to see works by Deep Purple, Aphex Twin and The Kills had all featured, but I didn't remember hearing anything remotely like what I would expect songs by those bands to have been like.

I would give this **** [four] stars --- it was thoroughly entertaining and would stand up to repeat viewings. Well worth taking a look at the cinema for the full effect.
    Last edited by CHiLD-0F-THE-BEAT; 30-10-2006 at 12:48.

2. Collapse Details

Do you enjoy feeling depressed?

If so, you will LOVE children of men! Just got back from it and it's the most depressing movie I've ever seen.

I'm still not sure whether I liked it, but I'm definately glad I saw it.

3. Collapse Details

Huo Yuan Jia
    Aka Jet Li's Fearless

My dad acquired a copy on DVD. Unfortunately it didn't have English subtitles so I had to quickly remember as much Mandarin as I could. Thankfully it's pretty light on the dialogue so I could figure out what was going on. But then, who watches martial arts films for the story?

Jet Li plays Huo Yuan Jia, Chinese martial arts hero and one of the founders of the Jin Wu academy. (His ego's really showing in this one ) The film is loosely based Huo's life, from his childhood training, his rise to fame and finally his tragic death.

While the fight choreography is superb, the action dies off around half way. I actually thought the fights up until this point were the best parts of the movie. Once again, Li's ego shows as the next chapter shows off the sort of serious acting he's retiring from martial arts films for. He has about three lines in this chapter. He also gets a hot girlfriend too. That said, there is some good, if not cliched character development here, which is not often seen in this genre.

The action picks up in the final chapter, however I found these scenes to be a bit disappointing compared to the first half. It's partly because the actors that play his opponents aren't Chinese martial artists' and partly because there are fewer fights. The final chapter feels rushed and should have featured more on the start of the Jin Wu academy than jumping from scene to scene hinting what fights are coming up. The film comes to an abrupt, yet fitting end.

Overall, Fearless is a more serious take on the martial arts genre in the vein of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. It should have been more than it was but it's still watchable and re-watchable. You might like to skip over the boring bits after you've seen them once though.

3.5/5

4. Collapse Details

I saw The Departed the other day. It was OK but the ending had no impact at all and people in the cinema were actually laughing through a lot of it. The last scene was pure cheese. Lame. Other than that, nice.

3/5

5. Collapse Details

^^^
    you know american cinema is in trouble when even scorsese is ripping off asian films

6. Collapse Details

haha I was pretty drunk when I wrote that Depated review, hence why it was so detailed and insightful.

Tonight I saw Suburban Mayhem which I loved simply because it was so entertaining. The main character, Kat, is an awesome creation. I know I really should have hated her because she was the devil incarnate but I couldn't help but love her. Towards the end I was starting to think the plot was really familiar and then I realised the story is almost identical to a real murder case in Wollongong involving a killer called Mark Valera. Anyway, this movie is so Australian and you've got to love it for that.

"I can't believe you took the Charger! You know I don't even drive the Charger!"

7. Collapse Details

Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    Do you enjoy feeling depressed?

If so, you will LOVE children of men! Just got back from it and it's the most depressing movie I've ever seen.

I'm still not sure whether I liked it, but I'm definately glad I saw it.
    Pretty much.

I'm not sure I agree with the 9/10 reviews that I read of it, but it's certainly a thought-provoking piece of cinema.

I have to say though... I really do not like the hand held camera technique. If it's meant to be giving a realistic, gritty effect, all it does is give me a headache.

8. Collapse Details
    Pan's Labyrinth / El Laberinto del Fauno 
    Long ago, before reality TV and abhorrent mindless broadcasting, people used to tell each other stories. Magical, wonderful stories, full of fairies, trolls and adventure. Things would get eaten, people would run in fear, walls would move and beasts of pure imagination would run rampant - guiding a young hero or heroine near and far.

Entire cultures have come and gone through the legacy of stories, most of Africa's native tribes simply pass their history from generation to generation through words and it seems our 'modern' world is bereft of these wonderful tales.

But I tell you, go see 'Pan's Labyrinth'. Spanish in origin, it is passionate and alive, ferocious, violent and mystical. Stories like this do not get told around our modern fires, and they should, if you have the chance to pass your legacy to a child, bring them into this world surrounded with tales of fantasy, the classics of our generation, read to them, inspire them.

From a clinical perspective, Pan's Labyrinth is extremely well shot; the story is tight, winding and eye opening. The true power of imagination is juxtaposed with the absolute mania of a deeply violent soul, and from this mix a kingdom of pure imagination spills out.

More then a movie, an experience to cherish - 9.5 out of 10.

Youtube Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5d4f1nyLgg

NB: This is an adult fairytale, it is intense. Watch it before taking kids.

Now showing at Cinema Nova, Lygon Street.
    Last edited by Genasirus; 03-02-2007 at 14:18.

9. Collapse Details

^^^ i read a really good article about that film in the paper a few weeks ago. it sound very interesting.

i saw stranger than fiction the other night, and it was ok. however the ending proved that its just another in the long line of hollywood money making movies, set out to please, rather than make people question or think, which was disappointing.

there's some good actors in it, though; like dustin hoffman, maggie gyllenhaal, and emma thompson which helped breath some life into it and made it enjoyable enough to watch. will ferrel, of course, also stars. however this time he takes on a semi serious role instead of his usual: comedian/ goofball/ crazy motherfucker parts that he plays. and he did a fair job, except there were a few instances when you kinda knew that what you were watching wasn't quite meant to be funny, but nonetheless if you looked around and took note, you'd have found most of the audience were giggling at him under their breaths.

2 1/2 stars.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by up all night
    I saw The Departed the other day. It was OK but the ending had no impact at all and people in the cinema were actually laughing through a lot of it. The last scene was pure cheese. Lame. Other than that, nice.

3/5
    It does have a Dropkick Murphys song in it though which should automatically raise your score to at least 4

I'm shipping up to Boston whoa!
    Last edited by lostpunk5545; 04-02-2007 at 01:26.

11. Collapse Details

Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by kryalkastleE
    i went and saw KENNY last night.
    what a great aussie film. i thought that it would be a bit disapointing but it was an absolute cracker. KENNY character is so loveable, its like a mock doco on a guy who cleans toilets.

SUPPORT AUSSIE CINEMA PEOPLE!!!
    This film was fantastic and clearly the Australian movie of the year. Almost knocks off Spinal Tap as the best mocumentary ever.

it goes to 11.

12. Collapse Details

I watched The Circle last night which was great. It was about a group of women in Iran - some recently released from prison, a woman who had had a baby girl instead of a boy and was therefore unwanted as well as a lady seeking an abortion. There are no real back stories, no explanations, and the details of their life are kept very vague which allows your imagination to fill in the details. The story moves from person to person unexpectantly and if you're the sort of person who likes conclusions or things to be tied up neatly this is definitely not the movie for you. You know nothing when you begin and you walk away with a million questions.

What struck me (which was, I suppose, the point) is the utter helplessness of all these women and the difficulties they faced in trying to start a new life. Iran is such a repressive society. Women are gaoled for almost no reason at all and are afforded few basic rights. They aren't permitted to travel alone and aren't even allowed to smoke on the street. Such a minor detail but one which really did exemplify the extent to which women are kept under control.

I think the reason I liked it is because it wasn't some kind of pro-women, anti-Islam movie - it was just showing life the way it is for these women. The similarities are striking. It breaks your heart.

There is some (subtle as a sledgehammer) symbolism and the notion of the circle is carried right throughout the film in terms of plot and set design. I thought the most impressive scene in the movie was the opening one. It was one very long shot that had to have gone for 3 or 4 minutes. I watched it a couple of times - very impressive.

I don't know who I would recommend this to because it's definitely not for everyone but I give it four stars.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lostpunk5545
    It does have a Dropkick Murphys song in it though which should automatically raise your score to at least 4

I'm shipping up to Boston whoa!
    by that logic cameron crowe makes the best films ever

14. Collapse Details

EPIC MOVIE is one of the shitest movies I have ever seen. Noone go see it. You have been warned.

It doesnt deserve a detailed review. 0 stars.

15. Collapse Details

You'll have to explain Silvia, what's Cameron Crowe got to do with the DKM?

I'm clueless...

16. Collapse Details

take away the (usually) quality soundtrack and his films suck even harder

17. Collapse Details

Love that avatar silvia.... what were you thinking!

18. Collapse Details

Bump
    bumped to inform all of you who like watching films about drugs/people taking drugs that you should give a film called jesus' son a go. its intense and edgy (moreso 'edgy') - like the blurb says, but above all it is hilarious. i found myself laughing hysterically at the most inappropriate of circumstances, which is what i couldn't help but love most about this movie.

i honestly dare you not to laugh at a few of the scenes. ie. the bunnies.

19. Collapse Details

^ I've watched that movie but I have no idea what it was about! Perhaps I have blocked it out.

20. Collapse Details

On the weekend I watched 'Miranda and Miranda' on dvd, directed by Woody Allen.

It the story of a woman with a messed up life, told once as a comedy and once as a drama/tradegy. It was definitely an interesting concept, and the movie was good, but I didn't think it was great. Woody Allen wasn't actually in it (which I consider a plus!) but his personality was all over the characters.

Its worth a watch.

21. Collapse Details

Man of the Year

Robin Williams plays a comedian who on the back of major support for a joke he cracks about running for president, goes ahead and runs, then wins the election. Or doesn't win the election, as he finds out when a computer glitch is revealed to him.

Very funny. Very clever.

I'd give it 8/10

22. Collapse Details

Hot Fuzz

Nicholas Angel is the finest cop London has to offer, with an arrest record 400% higher than any other officer on the force. He's so good, he makes everyone else look bad. As a result, Angel's superiors send him to a place where his talents won't be quite so embarrassing - the sleepy and seemingly crime-free village of Sandford. Once there, he is partnered with the well-meaning but overeager police officer Danny Butterman. The son of amiable Police Chief Frank Butterman, Danny is a huge action movie fan and believes his new big-city partner might just be a real-life "bad boy," and his chance to experience the life of gunfights and car chases he so longs for. Angel is quick to dismiss this as childish fantasy and Danny's puppy-like enthusiasm only adds to Angel's growing frustration. However, as a series of grisly accidents rocks the village, Angel is convinced that Sandford is not what it seems and as the intrigue deepens, Danny's dreams of explosive, high-octane, car-chasing, gunfighting, all-out action seem more and more like a reality. It's time for these small-town cops to break out some big-city justice.

...saw it on saturday night, definately worth watching if you liked Shaun of the Dead (not as good though)

23. Collapse Details

I saw Notes on a Scandal yesterday. I didn't know much about it before I went and it wasn't the usual teacher has affair with student story I thought it would be.

Its much more about the teacher's older confidant played by Judi Dench, & their relationship, Judi Dench's character has a rather strange outlook and way of dealing with the world. I don't want to say too much as I'm afraid I'll spoil it.

It was well made, well acted and interesting though I was cringing through a few scenes (this being the director's intention).

Cate Blanchett was luscious, as always, and I think this movie is worth seeing, though would translate fine to dvd if you didn't want to see it at the cinema.

24. Collapse Details

I watched Mysterious Skin today. And i have concluded that it is one of those films that you remain decidedly ambivalent about.

The plot is basically about the way in which two boys, who were both sexually abused at a young age, subsequently deal with their abuse. One turns into a teenage hustler, the other deals with the trauma by believing in delusions about alien abduction.

It is the most confronting film that i have seen in a long time, perhaps ever. Some of the scenes were definitely sickening, and i found myself fast forwarding through a few parts ( i usually make an effort not to do this). Apart me of feels that the whole thing is rather gratuitous. However, perhaps that is unfair given that any visual portrayal of this sort of subject matter is so inherently shocking that we have an automatic tendency to deem it 'unnecessary'. And really, i am sure this was the director's intent - to shock viewers to a certain extent.

As i said, i still cannot figure out if i liked this film. It was definitely disturbing. Parts of it bordered on grotesque, and i really don't think there is anything mysterious about this film. That being said, if you want something interesting, albeit disturbing, to watch, get it out.

I did warn you though
    Last edited by MR Candyslut; 17-03-2007 at 10:42.

25. Collapse Details

I saw Hot Fuzz last night. I liked it a bit more than Shaun of the Dead but that is probably only 'cause I've seen Shaun of the Dead heaps and can't remember what the first time was like.

Great movie. Very funny. And the last 30 minutes or so are so much fun to watch.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234561222 ... LastLast