• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Movie Reviews Part 3 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

I really want to see Juno, it seems like it would be good. I love Ellen Page. She was good in Hard Candy, which was fucking intense.

^ word, even though Ellen Page displayed some amazing superhuman strength in that film (a 5'1" female picking up a 6" solid male and suspending him from the ceiling? pleeeeeeease)

katmeow said:
Knocked Up

Got some free tickets for this so decided to check it out. The title and the premise (totally mismatched couple have one night stand, get pregnant, decide to stick it out) don't sound that fantastic, but the movie was actually pretty good. The two main characters played the awkwardness well and there were some really funny scenes in there. Bit long though.

3.5/5

Saw this on DVD the other night. Yes it was too long. It had a certain charm about it, that kind of charm that was evident in 40 Year Old Virgin and Superbad.

I love the kind of, realistic view of the world these movies have. It's not optimistic, it's not pessimistic, they deal with awkward, real life situations* in a way that makes you shudder at some points but sigh in content at others.

I liked the interactions between Ben (Seth Rogen) and Pete (Paul Rudd) and I found both of the female leads to be annoying. How funny.

* 40 Year Old Virgin, Superbad, Knocked Up: Dealing with unwanted pregnancy, being a late bloomer, virginity, teenage romance.

Black Snake Moan

Samuel L. Jackson and Christina Ricci provide OK enough performances and the awesome dirty delta blues style music was a real highlight. The down south imagery also had a big impact.

Ricci plays a sex crazed nympho, a behaviour brought on by a history of sexual abuse, thus there is a high degree of nudity on her part. Jackson plays a gritty old church going farmer who was once the local blues legend. He abducts her in an attempt to cure the girl of her wicked ways.

Justin Timberlake is also in this film.

In the end the story lacked any dynamic impact and the ending just kinda fell flat across the finish line. There is just enough good things about this film to make you not kick yourself for watching it.

I saw Knocked Up as well a while ago and it was not as unwatchable as I expected.

* MAJOR SPOILERS FOR 'I AM LEGEND' AHEAD *

Since the release of DVD there's been this DVD that I keep seeing around for around about $2. It's been that price since the release of DVD and I keep wondering why anyone bothered converting it to the format because it's obviously not making anyone any money. That movie I think is called 'Psycho Beach Party,' and although I haven't seen it I bet it is about 4000 times less likely to make you consider laying in the middle of the road than I AM LEGEND.

If you are thinking of seeing this movie I have some advice for you. Please go to your kitchen and find the biggest knife in the second drawer, you know that drawer where you keep all the shit that's bigger than general cutlery, your egg whisk and shit. Grab that knife firmly and push it straight into your eye with a bit of force, you want to have both aqueous and vitreous humour running down your face. That feeling you're experiencing now is more fun than you will have at any point in this film.

But let's take a look at why. For a start it's a film that predominately features Will Smith. I absolutely loathe him but that's a personal thing, and maybe others think that his acting improved since he was the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, but I think you would be wrong in that case. The last movie I attempted to watch him in was I, Robot and that 5 minutes of product placement to 30 seconds of actual plot Aasimov rape fest was much better than this. I was drunk throughout the whole film and even the terrible pre-mixed vodka drinks I consumed in the cinema throughout didn't help numb the pain of it.

The next thing that was abhorrent about this movie was the CGI. It was so crap I couldn't tell if I was watching a multi-million dollar movie or playing Resident Evil 1 on the first playstation. Which is funny because if they had have just removed large sections of the movie and replaced it with a Loading bar it would have been more watchable. The second thing about the CGI is that they seemed to have run out of money at some point because they just used the same character model for all of the infected/living dead/whatever the fuck you want to call them. For female infected they had the same CGI guy but with tits. And not only did they use the same character model over and over but it was dressed in one of three styles of clothing. Yes, get used to seeing torn jean CGI infected guy because you and him are about to become close friends. I really can't understand why Mr Smith is so saddened by the loss of 5.something billion people to the cancer curing virus when they were all the same person. Living in a world populated with 5.something billion of the same person would be really annoying and he should be glad that they've all been reduced to night dwelling circle jerkers. Yes there is one scene in which the infected are circle jerking in a dark corner of an abandoned building. There is no other possible explanation for what they appear to be doing on screen.

It would be easy to fill a couple of A4 pages up with general hate for this movie. If I had have made it it I would have just fired Will Smith and made a movie entirely about the Inspector Rex character because the dog is a much better actor than him.

So you'll be glad to know that Mr Smith dies in the end. But not for any particular reason. He is clearly offered a choice to hide in a little steel thing and survive or blow himself up with a grenade. So of course the logical choice is to kill himself. We're not even talking martyrdom to save others here because he is offered with a split down the line choice, live or die, and he chooses to kill himself because he is a fucking cunt that likes wasting my time. The character could have killed himself at any time before the story of the movie instead of making me sit through an hour and a half of crap before doing so, thus necessitating me wasting more time writing this.

I am the true martyr. I endured this movie so I can tell you all not to. Seriously though, don't watch it. Don't make up your own mind, just don't do it.

Last edited:
I thought the first hour of I Am Legend was very good. The ending is awful, but the first hour or so of exposition was excellent. At no point did I believe Will Smith was anything other than an action film star pretending to be the last man on Earth, but that can be easily overlooked.

This movie is getting a very negative reaction from a lot of Australians. You all must hate Will Smith more than other countries.

Well that's the problem though isn't it. You pay to be involved in a movie not to think about Will Smith walking around a bunch of sets. I didn't find his acting very convincing at all, and the parts that were supposed to be emotionally involving
such as the death of Samantha
I just found myself wishing for a remote to fast forward.

I agree, the first hour of I am Legend, had it going as a good story, but then i just fell to peices..

Saw Balls of Fury today, I was pleasantly surprised how good it was, not that I ws expecting much, just laughed a lot more then I thought I would. Its nit up there with Dodgeball, but all the same, its still a good laugh

I thought I Am Legend was ok. I haven't actually been to the cinema for a while, and the movie was quite a good one for the cinema experience. There were just enough heart stopping, scarey moments which were spaced out through the movie nicely.

lostpunk (some major spoilers for I Am Legend, do not read unless you've seen):

NSFW:
Your complaint about Will Smith not taking advantage of the emotional scenes in the movie is a bit odd. I thought he was competent in the Samantha death scene. It would have been out of character for Neville to react any more emotionally than he did. For an example, see the way that he deals with the people who stay in his house with him later on in the movie. He is uncommunicative, the woman comments that he "hasn't been around people for a while" as he seems to have lost some basic social skills, and he gets angry and storms off when the woman and the child eat the bacon 'he'd been saving'.

Also, the complaint about the use of the same three or so CGI animated mutants. I dunno, I didn't take notice of that personally. I was too busy being scared shitless of the mutants to notice how similar they looked ;)

I Am Legend - 6.5/10 from me.

Ooh. You know what I want to see? The new Bob Dylan biopic I'm Not There that's just been made. I read an article about it yesterday and besides the fact that it's a biopic about Bob Dylan, it intrigued me because of its apparent unconventional narrative structure (he uses 6 different actors to play Dylan at various phases of his life, and his various personas). The six different 'Dylans' are played by Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Richard Gere, Ben Whishaw, Marcus Carl Franklin and Cate Blanchett. I mean, he even used a woman. And Cate Blanchett is a brilliant actress I think, so all in all this should be very interesting.

I thought Will Smith's acting was poor, or at least the movie required something outside his range of ability. Compare Tom Hanks in Castaway to him alone in the city.

Spoilers:
NSFW:
I noticed the zombie-things all had the same face. I thought for a while that they had a leader and that was him but no... just the same face. Also why the hell did the female zombie have breast tissue when the rest of her body was rotted away? Methinks not.

Vanth,

NSFW:
When you say that the female zombie's breast tissue should have rotted away because the "rest of her body had". I have to partially disagree. Her skin had rotted somewhat, just as all the other zombies, however she still maintained the normal human shape. Her ass fat hadn't become malformed noticeably (yes I look there, < ass man ;) ), and I realise that breast tissue may be somewhat more delicate, but for you to make that claim you would need to point out which other fatty area had rotted out of shape to assume that the breast tissue should have done the same.

My second point being that complaining about such a minor technical detail is exactly the reason why these kinds of movies aren't for people like you and Lostpunk ;)

Eggman,

NSFW:
I'm sure we've already ruined it for you if you haven't already seen it ;)

NSFW:
They looked to me like oranges under tightly pulled skin. It did occur to me that they may be breast implants, but then wouldn't they have fallen out?

You just spend 15 minutes or so pulling apart the lyrics of an evermore song, I'm surprised you weren't more bothered by the details :D

Vanth,

(sort of spoiler alert, but more just using NSFW tags to continue the running in joke):

NSFW:
lol, breast implants, I didn't think of that.

And for your information, that Evermore thing only took me, like, 14 minutes ;)

P.S. We should totally make every post with NSFW warning tags addressed to people. It's like getting a special envelope with your name on it :)

P.P.S. How do you make "spoiler tags", I always just use NSFW warnings and write "spoiler" before it, but I know there must be a better way.