• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

The smell of heroin and fentanyl

sixpartseven

Bluelight Crew
I know heroin is supposed to have a vinegar smell to it, but ive gotten heroin that doesnt have the vinegar smell, but still got me high. Now, i was just reading the latest microgram bulletin on the DEA website, and they seized a brown powder, suspected to be heroin that turned out to be fentanyl and they said this about it:

The brown powder (total net mass 0.5 grams) was noted to have a distinct odor which was not consistent with the usual vinegar (acetic acid) odor of heroin.

What is that distinct odor? I cant really describe what that heroin that i had got previously smelled like, but if someone could describe (if they know) what the smell of fentanyl would be, id be able to decide if it was close to what this stuff had smelled like.

Im just wondering because im curious if it was fentanyl that i had sold to me. The product was an off white, almost light tan in color.

What a great job at the DEA it is, to determine smells of confiscated powders by smelling them.

"Oops, chief, need some more over here."

Pure heroin and fentanyl won't have a strong odor. The reason heroin often has a vinegary smell is that acetic acid (vinegar) is a byproduct of the acteylation reaction that used to convert morphine to heroin.

Color of the powder and the strength of the smell will vary with different products.

Are you in an area with reports of Fent bags? Then you may have recieved them, but there's no real way of knowing.

Was the high any different? Just make sure to test it out before railing/shooting multiple bags.

generally sour if it's basic stuff. the smoke is a harsh vinegar flavor that some find hard to stomach. mmm, time to get high. all my senses are egnited with the H crave

yeah, as pseudointellectual said, i am in the area with the fentanyl bags, but this wasnt recent that i got this stuff. it was a few months before the outbreak of deaths from fentanyl laced heroin.

I was thinking about how the heroin im talking about smelled like, and i figured its a really chemical smell that almost smells like cologne at first, without the fragrance but more consistant with the alcohol in cologone. sorry if that makes no sense, its really hard to describe.

Carl Landrover said:
Was the high any different? Just make sure to test it out before railing/shooting multiple bags.

the only difference between this stuff and stuff that i know for a fact was heroin (reeked of vinegar) was it was less itchy, which is supposed to be consistant with fentanyl, as it causes much less histamine release.

Last edited:
You can't go by smell. I've had tons of different samples of dope that smelled and looked different. And they all varied in purity. There was no correlation there.

As for the sniffing out the fent, same thing. You're not going to smell it. Think of how small a dose is likely to be in your average 100mg bag of dope... (even if it contains a lethal dose)

I've gotten fentdope quite a few times. A good guess would be about 7 or 8 bundles (about 100 bags). This has all been since April of this year. The only way I could tell it has fent in it, besides talking to people, is by how it looks and how it feels when I bang it. Its a little harder to tell when you sniff it, but if you have a good amount of experience, you could still tell.

As for how it looks, its certainly not 100%. All of it was purchased in the same 1-2 block area, from the same people. So, their connection(supplier) was the same each time. Chances are, that if I would have copped fentdope on the other side of North Philly, it would have looked different. I'm not even going to get into how it looks, because I wouldn't want anyone to go by that. They're not copping from who I cop.

So, you can't tell by smelling it, or even looking at it. My advice would be to test it out before you use, watch your dose, and if possible, talk to others that have used from the same batch.

supposidly the best way to tell whether or not it's fentanyl is the length of the high. a heroin high is supposed to last a lot longer...

fentanyl is supposed to produce a 'cooler' rush, as well. the rush is said to be much more powerful than heroin, but the high fades much faster.

just what I've heard... and if it's actually fentanyl AND heroin, well, then I don't know how you'd be able to tell, unless you had the DEA test it...

^
If its mixed, you could tell by the rush. It still feels different than just dope. If you have a good amount of experience with dope, you could tell if your shit is cut with fent each time.

And by the way, all the shit going around does have dope in it. The problem with the OD's and deaths is that the amount of fentanyl in it isn't regulated.

phrozen said:
You can't go by smell. I've had tons of different samples of dope that smelled and looked different. And they all varied in purity. There was no correlation there.

As for the sniffing out the fent, same thing. You're not going to smell it.

yes, i know. im just saying this stuff has such a unique smell. its unlike anything ive ever smelled before. but thats not the point. my original question (masked behing other details) is does anyone have an idea what this sample (the sample the DEA confiscated) smells like, and, if there is one, what is the unique chemical smell of fentanyl (pure).

After doing a quick search, pure fentanyl hcl should be odorless. Since the confiscated stuff was clandestinely produced, who knows how that specific sample smelled.

There are too many unknowns about the sample. Was it cut? If so, that could have changed the smell. Was it synthesized and cleaned properly? If not, that could also have changed the smell. You see my point.

If you're really interested about what the clandestine stuff smells like, look into how its made and with what ingredients. You might find the answer there.

oh i get what your point is. im not trying to argue at all.

so pure fentanyl is odorless? now knowing that, im just going to go back to assuming its just heroin stored near a cologne bottle or somethin.

thanks phrozen.

fent dope has no smell to it. if its fent and heroin mix it should have a faint vinagor smell to it. barely since the fent powder covers up the heroin killin gits odor. i have tons of experience iwth fent dope and fent mix with heroin dope

It's weird..lately the bags i was buying off one of my dealers had such a strong odor...and when i shot it..the taste i got in my mouth was strong as well...
I never pinpointed the odor, but vinegar is definatly on the mark!!
Fent that ive gotten never had an odor. The patches i got never had a scent, and yay for that

XChaoticxKittenX said:
It's weird..lately the bags i was buying off one of my dealers had such a strong odor...and when i shot it..the taste i got in my mouth was strong as well...
I never pinpointed the odor, but vinegar is definatly on the mark!!
Fent that ive gotten never had an odor. The patches i got never had a scent, and yay for that

What youre describing is typical heroin. Its very common that when IVd youll get the taste of it in your mouth, and heroin has a vinegar smell because acetic acid (vinegar) is a byproduct of it when it is being manufactured.

As someone has said, not all heroin will have the tell tale odor of the glacial acetic acid used to convert it from morphine [or opium in the case of tar[. A good cook will heat off the excess acid so the odor is negligible but as most know, there are not too many people who care about the eir end product as long as it sells.

Fentanyl itself, that is the licit version of fentanyl hcl., does not have real odor [per Merck and subjective experience]. Illicit fentanyl and its many cousins do often have medicinal odors, not to mention the ton of non-active adulterants added to them to make them commerically viable.

How to tell the difference between heroin and fentanyl, et al? Well, besides the obvious [reagents,gassing, etc.] you can simply time the duration of effects. Heroin, in both addicted and non addicted people will last from 6 to 8 hours [although to an addict they cannot really tell duration per se.]. Fentanyl will last for 2 hours but some analogs last as little as 10 minutes so that is the easiest way to tell. If you are an addict you will definitely know by the time needed between fixing.

all the heroin/fentanyl ive gotten have this smell too it but its deff not vinegar...its more like baby formula and i think thats because most of the dope around my area is cut with just that baby formula but the purety i would say is around 80-90% sometimes you will get bags lower then that and sometimes higher but for the most part its around 80-90% most of the time i get fentanyl i think its way fuckin better then heroin anyday...there were bags goin around this summer "get high or die tryin" that was fentanyl/heroin 90+ pure and a bunch of stupid assholes were ODing....i still believe its very hard to OD on heroin unless you justed relaspe, the frist time, or you get very very good bags....i always say the lifestyle will kill you befor heroin does

Last edited:
rachamim said:
How to tell the difference between heroin and fentanyl, et al? Well, besides the obvious [reagents,gassing, etc.] you can simply time the duration of effects. Heroin, in both addicted and non addicted people will last from 6 to 8 hours [although to an addict they cannot really tell duration per se.]. Fentanyl will last for 2 hours but some analogs last as little as 10 minutes so that is the easiest way to tell. If you are an addict you will definitely know by the time needed between fixing.

Judging by that, the stuff I was originally refering to was most likely fentanyl. It had a very short duration, something like a half hour, and the only way it would last longer is if i did a lot at once, then it only lasted like an hour/hour and a half.

all the fent patches ive obtained had a strange smell...hard to describe since they also have plastics in them, but since all three brands are slightly different they all still contained that familiar smell...

its very chemical like, and the gel inside them smells even stronger...dont know how to describe at all though.