• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives [DXM Subthread] DXM Dosage - How much to take?

I'm still curious as to why I didn't feel 240-260mg. Seems kind of odd. Those are usually the doses that tend to be slightly euphoric, am I right?

Yeah I agree that it is very odd. Especially if you could feel even lower doses. I am just as confused as you are, tbh.

I'm thinking foods in my stomach (breads/yeast) maybe absorbed some of the dxm, causing a delay in it all kicking in? I also took it in shot form, 20ml at a time. The agent is 15mg/5ml (15mg per teaspoon). But I dunno, hmm. Do you think the dxm maybe was not evenly distributed in the cough syrup?

Kroger (American grocery store chain) brand. It has 118ml in it total. So when I did the math; 15mg/5ml
118/5=23.6x15=354mg (Total in the bottle) I drank around 5 little cups (20ml/per cup). A lot of math here.

Note - it is orange flavor/and alcohol free :). I still have a little under half a bottle left.

I'm still curious as to why I didn't feel 240-260mg. Seems kind of odd. Those are usually the doses that tend to be slightly euphoric, am I right?

I'd find that dosage level to be pretty damn boring and just a slight head change. However, the same dosage of DXM can really seem to hit you differently during different times taking it, it's weird (stomach content, acidity, who knows. The differences can be very significant). I'd go for the 350.

I'd find that dosage level to be pretty damn boring and just a slight head change. However, the same dosage of DXM can really seem to hit you differently during different times taking it, it's weird (stomach content, acidity, who knows. The differences can be very significant). I'd go for the 350.

Hmm, I'm still confused. I just think it boils down to what you said. DXM is a funny chemical, especially given ROA. I think I may try extracting the DXM to get DXM freebase. I also feel that the DXM ratio throughout the bottle was probably skewed because I can visibly see white particles in the orange liquid, which I would think is the DXM? Again I don't want to be outrageously high on dxm, which is why I aimed for a low dose, and low doses before have rocked me. With DXM freebase, could I literally smoke it off of foil?

Used DXM a few years ago when I couldn't find any psychedelics. High 2nd plateau doses (350mg) were fun - not exactly tripping though. I went for a mid-high 3rd plateau dose (700mg) and it was fucking amazing and i loved it past the initial 30-40 minutes of nausea - haven't done DXM after that though. Just sorta lost interest.

^DXM should not be vaped/smoked since the heat will cause it to degrade into something toxic or there is toxicity somehow. I'll have to look for the reference on that.

The second plateau is not outrageously high (unless intoxication is your definition of that, and you prefer just mild spaciness), it is generally considered the most recreational, your doses for this one are well under what many folks find worthwhile.

Extracting and going with your usual may be worthwhile to try though, I've always been too lazy to extract.

hmmm. Maybe I didn't do enough, possibly. I just remember doing doses of around 100-150 way back when and getting completely euphoric. I dunno, maybe it had to do with gastric reasoning. I just imagined a lot more for how much I ingested. Will try more next time ;).

So since I noticed my local pharmacy has an entire shelf dedicated simply to DXM products it reminded me that I've only ever sampled this at a threshold dose (70mg) and need to experience it fully at some point.

Now looking towards dosage, I'd like to dip my toes in the water to see what the temperature is like, and then next time dive straight in at the deep-end. So I'm thinking 1st-2nd plateau for my first experience, and straight to 4th for my second provided I feel comfortable taking that much.

I weigh 60kg, going by dosage calculators and other reports I've read, I was thinking 180-230mg or so for the first experience, then 950-1000mg for the second.

Thoughts? :)

180-230mg is barely a 2nd plateau trip and imo won't really do much to prepare you for a 1gram trip.

180-230mg is barely a 2nd plateau trip and imo won't really do much to prepare you for a 1gram trip.

My preparation for the 1000mg trip is more my countless hole experiences with Ketamine (doses ranging from 250mg to 1000mg) and with Methoxetamine (doses from 70-150mg), along with several ++++s from psychedelics etc.

It's not the intensity I want to prepare for my dipping my toes in, but rather just get a general feel for how DXM feels compared to the other NMDA-antagonists I've tried, how the substance treats my body, whether I'm left with an afterglow or comedown etc. :)

I might go higher, like 300-350mg though.

i was pretty sure you've holed on MXE or K before :) DXM is a pretty different beast though, and it also produces idiosyncratic reactions far more often than MXE or K do.

but yeah, first plateau DXM feels so different from third/fourth plateau. if you want to get a feel for how the higher plateaus are gonna be then you'll have to take a decent second plateau dose. 300-350mg is probably a good place to start for ya considering your prior dissociative experience. you should try out a 700mg dose sometime too. idk if it would be more interesting to do that before or after your 1gram trip though. :)

godspeed!

Thanks for the advice. I might just go 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, but when I have so many interesting goodies to buy at the moment I'm only really looking to buy a dose or two here and there when it comes to DXM and other dissociatives. 2nd then 4th seems like my plan for now, or potentially 2nd then 3rd if I feel like I haven't got enough of a "feel" for DXM to jump in at 4th.

first time my friend alex hit the third plateau he was like "so THIS is what it feels like to be on drugs, whoa"

he'd done lots of other drugs before lol :)

I agree with thenightwatch and your last post...
You should either work your way up, starting with second plateau and each trip one plateau higher or if you only want to do it two times start with a high second or low 3rd plateau and go on the 4th on your second trip.
But even then it's a huge difference.
Anyway...have a good flight ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I might just go 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, but when I have so many interesting goodies to buy at the moment I'm only really looking to buy a dose or two here and there when it comes to DXM and other dissociatives. 2nd then 4th seems like my plan for now, or potentially 2nd then 3rd if I feel like I haven't got enough of a "feel" for DXM to jump in at 4th.

A mid second plateau for your first experience would be wise. A 4oz bottle of tussin has like ~360mg DXM, just take between 300mg and the full bottle, however you feel. Follow this up with the third. No more than ~720mg (so, double what you took before). Don't jump into the 4th, things can get pretty darn hole-ish if you provide the right conditions (no light, eyes closed, don't move) in the third plateau, especially with cannabinoids (which you should be taking as an anti-emetic anyway if you're consuming syrup or gelcaps).

Personally in all my time using DXM I've never once been tempted to go for a 4th plateau dose. Maybe I would attempt it if I bothered to extract and use the pure chemical, if the pure chemical made the comedowns easier. I don't always get nasty comedowns from the 3rd, but sometimes I do and I'd liken it more to the feeling you get when throwing up while drunk right before passing out than anything the friendlier dissociatives have ever made me feel (aside from one exceptional case). Some folks don't get this at all, but don't assume you won't, 'cause if you do it might just turn you off from the drug (and I think this would be a sad waste, it's a very interesting drug).

Anyway, the moral of the story is this: DXM is a weird ass fucking drug, there's a reason why it has its own system of describing dose/effect. Also, ask yourself, how many people in your time here have you heard singing praises of the 4th plateau? Did it seem to be the same proportion of users who cheerlead for hole-level doses of other dissociatives, and if not, might there be a reason for this discrepancy?

Last edited:
DXM Questions

I have 4 bottles(20 caps in each) of 15 mg DXM only gel caps im not a new user of dxm but i am in pill form my other expriences were with liquid DXM how many of these do i take to have a great trip I am 6"3 155lbs Thank you!!

If you're not a new user it just depends on what you're aiming for. If you just want some drunkiness, take 6-10 tablets for a first plat or 10-34 for a second. 34-68 would be for a third/fourth plat, and I have no idea about plateau sigma. I have never used capsules, but apparently nausea can be an issue so just space the caps out if it becomes a problem.