• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Alprazolam and Clonazepam Solubility

Dondante

Bluelighter
Anyone know the maximum solubility of these two compounds in either 100% ethanol or in a polyethylene glycol mix? I've heard 2 mg/mL in grain alcohol for alprazolam, but I was wondering if anyone has any more info on the solubility for either of these compounds. Thanks.

Alprazolam:
Practically insoluble in water; sparingly soluble in alcohol and in acetone; freely soluble in chloroform and dichloromethane.

Clonazepam:
Solubility in mg/mL at 25°: acetone 31, chloroform 15, methanol 8.6, ether 0.7, benzene 0.5, water <0.1.

Source: Clarke's Analysis of Drugs and Poisons. Electronic edition.

Dondante said:
Anyone know the maximum solubility of these two compounds in either 100% ethanol or in a polyethylene glycol mix? I've heard 2 mg/mL in grain alcohol for alprazolam, but I was wondering if anyone has any more info on the solubility for either of these compounds. Thanks.

I think that Alprazolam and Clonazepam (both active and "recreational" at 0,5mg-1mg) are soluble enough in 1ml water + a few drops of Ethanol+Propyleneglycol.
That is if you want to prepare them for injection.

But even for other purposes, I think you only need a few drops of Ethanol+PropyleneGlycol in water to make a solvent in which Alprazolam and Clonazepam will be soluble....

This is a little off topic, but I am trying to get access to Clarke's Analysis of Drugs and Poisons. My institution doesn't have a hard copy or electronic access, and they can't get it via interlibrary loan. Any ideas on how I could other get access to the information?

hussness said:
This is a little off topic, but I am trying to get access to Clarke's Analysis of Drugs and Poisons. My institution doesn't have a hard copy or electronic access, and they can't get it via interlibrary loan. Any ideas on how I could other get access to the information?

I wish I could access to "Clarke's Analysis of Drugs and Poisons" too.....

Yeah, you need something like 1-5% PEG in water to make reasonable amounts of benzos soluble. My memory could be rusty though, so I'll have to double-check this.

While I do not condone this activity, I figured out a way to get access to Clarke's Analysis of Drugs and Poisons, along with all the other MedicinesComplete publications (Martindale: the complete drug reference, Stockley's drug interactions, etc, etc) for free.

1. go to http://www.mytrashmail.com/ and check out the Temporary Email thing. Basically, you can have mail sent to [email protected] and then just log-in to "AnyAddressYouCanThinkOf" on mytrashmail.com to read the mail sent to that address. You don't have to sign up or register for anything at all.

2. go to http://www.medicinescomplete.com/mc/registration.htm to set up a 15-day free registration to MedicinesComplete. Provide an @mytrashmail.com email address.

3. When your 15-day trial to MedicinesComplete is done, just sign up for another 15-day free trial with a different @mytrashmail.com account, ad infinitum.

It's a little bit of a hassle to have to re-register for the free trial (with a different e-mail address) every 15 days, but it really only takes a minute or two.

As for the original solubility question, my very limited experience (so far) with pure alprazolam powder would suggest that about 10-12mg is the max amount of alprazolam soluble in 50ml of 80-proof vodka. Although I suppose with more stirring, a little more alprazolam could dissolve than that. Does anybody have any laboratory-tested numbers for alprazolam solubility?

i dont mean to hijack this topic or anything, but im curious myself as to whether i could crush a few mgs of xanax in a spoon and just.. dissolve it in vodka and inject it.
could i do that? and... should i dilute it?

how bad does shooting vodka hurt?

Clarke's Analysis of Drugs and Poisons is available for download from Emule.

thesean001 said:
i dont mean to hijack this topic or anything, but im curious myself as to whether i could crush a few mgs of xanax in a spoon and just.. dissolve it in vodka and inject it.
could i do that? and... should i dilute it?

how bad does shooting vodka hurt?

Shooting vodka can be as bad as causing instant heat-attack, amongst many other possibilities.

Doing what you mention will likely dissolve more pill-binders than it would drugs.

I would think its probably because dondante wants to make pure powder dosing more accurate and safe...

^^ you are correct! I would never think of shooting up benzos or anything for that matter. I would like to try IM with a few substances (does that count as shooting?), but for god sakes man, not benzos.

I actually got rid of most of the powder already as I was starting to notice bad effects from taking them just to sleep (never even took more than 1 mg alpazolam/day). Benzos are sneeky little bastards ... you don't think about it, and next thing you know you're taking them every night to sleep. I won't take them more than once a week now at most, or else I start to get some generalized anxiety during the following day.

So I tried to dissolve the clonazepam in 100% ETOH and I couldn't even get 1mg/mL ... still need to work on that. The identity of the clonazepam is in question at this point because of the unexpected difficulty in dissolving it, and the white color of the powder (it is reported to be a light yellow powder). I haven't tried the alprazolam yet, but I suspect it will be slightly more soluble.

Almost all benzodiazepines have a bioavailability of 90% or greater. Its pretty stupid to load up a shot, especially with vodka, to get that little 10% of drug you would've lost. I mean, use common sense guys.

lyserg said:
Almost all benzodiazepines have a bioavailability of 90% or greater. Its pretty stupid to load up a shot, especially with vodka, to get that little 10% of drug you would've lost. I mean, use common sense guys.

Some people (like me...) don't shoot benzos "to get that little 10% of drug you would've lost" as you say, but to get a rush...
The rush is worth it...(only with hypnotic, triazolo- benzos)

Well, the results are finally in ...

A 20 mg/mL solution of alprazolam was prepared in 100% ethanol. It took a good bit of shaking and a very small amount of heat (running under warm water), but it's all dissolved. I actually didn't think it was going to dissolve, because there was a good bit still left after the warming and shaking, but 4 hours later, it had all gone into solution! I was very surprised to get such a high concentration.

The alprazolam was from a trusted source ... the clonazepam OTOH, was from a different source and wasn't actually clonazepam, but that situation has been resolved.

Oh, and I'm still keeping my promise to myself that I won't use this stuff more than once or twice a week (usually at 0.5 mg and never more than 1 mg). Xanax is good at what it does, but benzos are definitely nothing to casually mess around with.

I wan't to dissolve 1gram Alprazolam powder, but in what ratio can i get it? I can't find any spirit stronger than 50% here. Are there other compounds i can use to dissolve the alprazolam that aren't dangerous.

I have a 50ml bottle with pippet, and i want to get 1gram of alprazolam powder into that would it work with 46% ethanol and Propyleneglycol?

NoddinWitAcoldBilly said:
i hope you arent asking so you can shoot up benzos :/

Please don't inject anything that is not designed to be injected. It's incredibly dangerous.