Your own productions go here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
my song

http://music.download.com/dransworld/3600-8697_32-100268988.html

shitty recording of me and a couple friends in the garage playing a song in high school. I wrote the song, its called "Poor Man's Cocaine" and I sing and play the guitar in it.

its kinda like reggae to rock , I know its got some "issues" but if people want to comment on the quality of the song itself, or give me some pointers , go for it.

willow11 said:
Hey mate, listened to a few of your tracks. Fokestep is cool, really nice trippy dub with cool breaks. I really like the didj part. Elephant is also cool, bit breakcore like with nice springy reverbs. Maybe use some different big verbs, as in use a variety. The big boom is annoying at times- fiddle around with diffusion, decazy length and room size to add interest.

Nice and cruisy stuff, what do you record with?

hey thanks for the feedback! I wouldve used Reason for all the tracks you heard there, I mainly use wavelab for audio editing, and am slowly trying to ween my way onto cubase/rewire with reason.

http://www.myspace.com/phuckinglosers

stuff up on there is mostly demo hip hop songs, as well as one punk song, got a shitload of beats waiting to put up there. We're working on a crazy reggae/ska type song, and some metal tunes. Meeting up with a friend who spins this weekend to belt some stuff out as well.

Last edited:
ok, lots to review, so little listening time!

i'm going to try and get through them all but it will be a piecemeal process, so apologies if it takes too long. i'd also like to say that personally speaking i find it a lot easier to review something if it's downloadable rather than in an embedded player... which might explain why i'm starting with the downloadable ones :D

Blue Meanie - Black Energy

running commentary... intro section is wicked. i like interplay between the reversed elements a lot.

the kick drum is absolutely huge. bassline is crisp and nicely integrated. the synths at 1:15 are gorgeous. the panning on percussive hits is cool as well.

i think ultimately the bass & kick levels are going to have to come down a bit before it really sounds its best on a big system. as it is they might swamp the rest of the track a little bit.

this track has a really unique atmosphere. its sense of progression and space is really good as well.

i like the stripped-back minimal section from 03:45 onwards. you get a really good feel for the groove that underlies the whole thing. the pitch-bent swirly synth sounds get me smiling every time.

really nice work! :)

rock lobster - Track 03

intro is gorgeous. the acoustic guitar is warm and fuzzy; really nice underpinning for the rest of the track.

the synth arrangement is sweet as well. if it were me (and bear in mind i've still got training wheels as well ;)) i'd like to hear the synths run through a longer filtered delay when they first come in, to give even more spaciness and allow you more flexibility in terms of fading it in and out quickly with automation to alter the melodic structure.

the bass is nice man. it has moments of really deep punchy clarity. perhaps a touch more variation in the velocity would add some more feel to the bassline? it's definitely rich and creamy :)

what i like most is the interplay between the pad / guitar / melodic synth sounds. there's an underlying tranquility which is just superb... it's just a warm, beautiful and emotional piece of music :)

dr seuss said:
ok, lots to review, so little listening time!

i'm going to try and get through them all but it will be a piecemeal process, so apologies if it takes too long. i'd also like to say that personally speaking i find it a lot easier to review something if it's downloadable rather than in an embedded player... which might explain why i'm starting with the downloadable ones :D

Blue Meanie - Black Energy

running commentary... intro section is wicked. i like interplay between the reversed elements a lot.

the kick drum is absolutely huge. bassline is crisp and nicely integrated. the synths at 1:15 are gorgeous. the panning on percussive hits is cool as well.

i think ultimately the bass & kick levels are going to have to come down a bit before it really sounds its best on a big system. as it is they might swamp the rest of the track a little bit.

this track has a really unique atmosphere. its sense of progression and space is really good as well.

i like the stripped-back minimal section from 03:45 onwards. you get a really good feel for the groove that underlies the whole thing. the pitch-bent swirly synth sounds get me smiling every time.

really nice work! :)

Thanks Suess, muchos appreciated. Black Energy is the heaviest song I've written interms of bottom end. I usually cut alot of bass of instruments, this time I din't and just tried to tweak it down. The song was insprired after dancing to Vibrasphere and SuncontrolSpecies sunrise in the bush- I had to try to emulate the huge live boom sound. Maybe not . . . I've yet to compress kick/bass as I like to do, but this song doesn't really ask for it. Thanks for the reply, at some point I'll update the link when I've fully mixed it

insprired after dancing to Vibrasphere and SuncontrolSpecies sunrise in the bush- I had to try to emulate the huge live boom sound.

i can definitely hear that man... actually what i thought of when it first kicked in :) the vibrasphere comparison stands up too, which is quite a compliment!

i bet it would sound 10,000 times better in a tranquil forest somewhere in oz than in my (cold, cramped) studio!

lazyvegan said:
welcome to the multiverse (psy)

Hey bro, pretty nice ideas. Before I say anything, you gotta fix your bottom end, you seem to have absolutely cranked it...either way, i had to cut like 24 dB to listen to it. The low end is what drives dance music so spend a lot of time getting the kick and bass tuned to each other and nicely balanced. Some other sounds are clipping to, so check your levels.

I like some of the zappy sounds and persuccion, though you could liven it up a bit. Compression is a bit weird, don't overcompress. I like the vowel sound at about 7.50, don't let things get too busy though. Good work

PS. The multiverse sample is in Protocultures 'New Directions' in case you didn't know :) I'll have a listen to your other stuff too

dr seuss said:

Hey suess, lovely song. Nice mix of trippy elements and more melodic ambient sounds. Production sounds good, levels may need to be tweaked a bit eg. The last melody line is a bit too high freq'y. Very sweet melody though. :D

I like the chorusy almost guitar like sound that starts at about 1.20 very nice.

and something a bit more full-on - if you like nano, check this out:

http://www.aeonsound.org/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=33&func=fileinfo&id=11

Well its a nice intro, beyond that I can't say much because it only goes for 29 seconds. Sounds cool til their though! :) Are you able to trow up a bit more?

Do you know what I fucking hate? When you review three tunes for people and then your fucking post disapears!!! :D

I'll redo in the morning, i'm off to bed now!!!

Silentscience -

Had a listen to your tune, as you piqued my interest in your last post. I did enjoy your song, it was very cool indeed. Although, I thought it could have been a bit tighter sounding (not that I'm one to talk :) ) I really like your sound, it's very distintive indeed. I think out of all the tunes I've listened to I think your best one is the one you posted here last! Good work, sounding good !

Suess -

Finally! thanks for the commentary on my tune. I'm absoltuely sick of listening to it and working on it now I have to say though :D Right, I had a listen to your two tunes.

I thought the melody in the nano one actually sounded like a track oakenfold used to play :D A real nice melody though and the change about 2/3 into sounded distinct and nicely contrasting too. Well put together. How much time do you invest in putting all the little fizzes and buzzes into your tracks?

I preferd the second track big time as it seemed more structured than the first, which just sounds more appealing to my ear. But one thing you did in the first tack and I'm not sure if I liked it or not. Was just after 5mins you started a build up, stopped it, started again, stopped it and then kicked it off :) Is that normal for psy tracks? Never heard it done like that before. All in all very good work though!! As usual.

did anyone listen to my song? just curious if people aren't posting any reviews because they think it sucked or whatever.

ill show you mine if you show me yours

^^^Nah I had a listen, I had expected a trance masterpiece from how you spoke! )

It sounded quite cool, quite an intelligent and mature sounding song. The production lacked somewhat, then again I played it through laptop speakers so whose to say? Nice though, I'll have another listen and write some more here.

Got any other tunes?

Status
Not open for further replies.