• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How you changed when you went to uni...

sassylx

Bluelighter
What changed about you when you went to uni, became 18, and all that jazz?

did you leave behind good friends,
go boozing more,
the social aspects.
relationship aspects?

thanks guys ;)

when i first started college i partied a lot! I made a lot of friends and had a lot of fun. After two years of that though I came crashing down and now I like to think in the last year school has made me a much better, socially responsible person. I like who I became and I look forward to who I will be when done.

uh, i just started, but so far i'm more social, smoke less weed (at this point), and i appreciate my true friendships more.

also im a lot more responsible (aka actually doing homework.)

It made me realize that I need to appreciate and befriend all types of people, unless I want to be alone.

Also it made me realize I need to focus more on school instead of partying. College is hard!!

I started drinking when I got to college, because Booze is what college is about pretty much. I only did drugs and smoked weed in high school now I drink pretty much every weekend and some week days. It kinda pisses me off though because I spend a lot of money on alcohol that I would rather spend on drugs. But you win some you lose some.

^^ yeah i know what all you guys mean aye, uni is about booze, and the social life practically...

but did you guys find it really hard to keep in touch with people who didnt go to uni/or your old school mates? like, did you find yourself suddenly too busy to spend time with them?

Yes, things get busy in college, especially if you are wasting away the hours with boozing. A lot of people find that they become a little reclusive in college, especially people in hard programs. It's tough to have a social life when there are always homework problems, quizzes, labs, and tests to be done.

It can be done though. I still hang out with my couple really good friends about once a week. But then again I also hang out with my little brother who is 16 alot.

I tend to "hibernate" in school, especially fall and winter term. It is not uncommon for me to finish a term and then call up a friend only to hear them say, "Where've you been for the past month man!?"

It's all good....don't feel like you always have to be partying and socializing in college. Academics should come first...then worry about partying. It might seem a little isolating in the short-term but later on it will pay off.

In fact just yesterday I saw an old classmate that I knew from Gen Chem last year. I asked him how things went and he told me that he was "more concerned with having fun last year" and that he wished he'd done more studying.

I, however, was a bit of a hermit last year - a hermit who got all A's.

When I first left school and started uni, all I did was go out and take drugs. I did so little work - even though I got my act together during my second year, I still feel like a missed a lot and I do regret not paying more attention. The course I was in offered a lot of opportunities and I could have gotten much more out of it. At the same time though, I had an awesome time and wouldn't change it for the world. :D

I graduated, took a year off to travel then went back when I was 21. I think this second experience changed me way more than the first - the first was really just an extension of what I was like as a teenager.

This time I've actually set myself some pretty challenging goals and, so far, I've achieved everything I wanted to. I've disciplined myself to do things I never really thought I could do, and once I (finally!) get a full-time job I think the skills I've learnt this time will be invaluable. Particularly juggling full-time uni and 30+ hours a week at work for the last four years - it's totally sucked a lot of the time, but it's also given me confidence in being able to do a lot of things at once, and do them well.

I've managed to hang onto some - but not all - of my high school friends. I never lost contact with anyone simply because I went to uni and they didn't.....people moving has been the biggest challenge.

Less tv, stopped playing games, stop hanging out with friends, stopped exercising. Started studying pretty much everyday and doing nothing else but school work.

oh wow^

I have a few mates at Uni who just seem to have such bad time managements skills that sometimes i dont see them for months...

whats with that?

I have no idea. I do have a tendecy to disappear for months even though my friends are in the city. I pretty much spent all of last weekend doing calculus on friday, chemistry on saturday, and finished it all off with a nice sunday of genetics.

sassylx said:
What changed about you when you went to uni, became 18, and all that jazz?

did you leave behind good friends,
go boozing more,
the social aspects.
relationship aspects?

thanks guys ;)

college turned me into an intellectual snob

I got depressed, stopped talking to anyone, stayed inside most of the time, missed a lot of class. But that wasn't really related to anything having to do with university itself. Dropped out after the first year. I never partied until after leaving.

I'd do a lot to have the opportunity to go back. Hopefully some day soon.

Definite attitude change once I got into uni, mostly due to having to interact with new (and sometimes strange) people outside of my comfort zone. Reaching the end of my 2nd year now.

I also have periods where i feel down, right at the start i was contemplating dropping out. I was also very close to dropping out this semester, had my forms signed and was ready to hand them in, i was stopped by a good friend, without him i wouldve been out.

I have quite a few friends from high school who went to my uni, which is cool, i really dont associate/relate much with the people who do the same degree with me, so i havent got a huge amount of friends at uni that i wasnt already friends with before it.

I'm 25, but 18 seems so long ago. When I first started college, I think I regressed in maturity, but that was probably due to all the drinking. :)

I'm still in contact with most of my old good friends. Some were on hiatus for a while, but I've managed to connect with almost all of them.

I loved college. There was always someone to hang out with. Always something to do. It was a good time.

Too good a time. I dropped out after I got into drugs, but now I'm clean and I'm back!

i would say that at first, i became more social, stayed totally irresponsible and generally fucked off and tried to have good time doing it. but this last year i had to drop out due to drugs/jail etc. and now that im back in school, i have a whole new perspective.
instead of looking at school as an obstacle, i see it as an opportunity. Also i am totally anti social, i have friends i talk to in class, but outside of the classroom, i spend no time at all with people my age. i generally spend all of my time going to school and studying. i think this is due to the fact that im living at home and commuting to school, rather than living on campus. for people like me, not being living in the dorms is a recipe for isolation.

fuck it though, isolation is nice compared to incarceration :D

Got lazier and more introverted the longer it went. Dont go to any classes (whats the point if the lectureres are all foreign and cant teach for shit). None of my friends are uni mates, the people in my course (engineering) are a bunch pussies and i cant relate to them at all. Tried doing an arts unit as an elective and these smelly fat bitches in the tutes wouldnt shut the fuck up! I dont care how smart you think you are you dumb slut. Tried going to a few uni events, but everyone there is so immature. They carry on like 14 year olds on passion pop, it shits me. Im over uni massively and have been for years.. on the bright side uni is over for me in a couple of weeks, for good.
Fuck. Yes.

Well, considering that I got my GED before going on and graduating with my BA, the main thing that really changed was my disposition towards life and other people. It's a bit more comforting to have a university degree than the substitute high school diploma, so I feel less anxiety about my future now. Mind you, I'm not really ashamed of never getting my high school diploma, so much as I've experienced how others can and do look down on others over such matters. It's a bummer, but so it goes.. Anyway, I think that finishing up college [with honors], somehow, translated into a willingness, on my part, to open up to others and empathize with them. I guess that's much easier to do now that I don't have a nagging sense of discomfort with myself anymore. Good stuff, overall.

i have noticed over the years of college i have become a lot more self aware and dont put up with a lot of bullshit from friends that i used to take.

yea i've left behind a few good friends, one that i considered a brother b/c we basically grew into different people and he thought he was better than me, im still bitter about that. but my good friends that have stuck around despite the growing and changing we all do have become really good friends, the kind i see myself still hanging out and talking too even though we will probably live in different cities over the US and a few overseas.

also i did the whole weekend boozing thing in high school a lot, so when i started college it wasnt that big of a deal to me. i still do it once in a while, usually around football game weekends, after midterms & finals.

socially i was always pretty outgoing but still had some reservations. but now im usually the guy that gets a boaring party started for my friends, usually the guy that go skinny dipping or streaking, and the funny thing is that the majority of those times i was dead sober.

and relationship wise i have become more picky, its not liek im looking for a wife or anyhting, but im done putting up with crap from girls and now i know pretty much exactly what i want and i go for it.