• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy AMT Thread - Part 1 (Archived)

How Can I Stop An Amt Headache

i was wondering what is the safest/most effective cure for AMT headaches. They are very bad and i don't know what i could take with AMT.

AND i have been using everybody's search engine, i cannot find a good answer. THANKS.

Yes, those headaches can be really severe.. I feel your pain!

Have you at least tried to take some kind of pain-killer? Smoking weed often helps migraines, but it didn't really help in my experiences (or it did, and if it did I should be thankful, any worse and I would've lost my mind).

acetaminophen is generally considered the safest drug to mix with others for pain/fever, however:

"Do not take Acetaminophen if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI)"

so i will leave that up to other BL'ers to figure out.

weed made my migraine worse on AMT... you could consider accupuncture, a massage, running cold water on your upper molars (dentist migraine remedy), massaging the webs between your thumb and index finger (look for a small node and rub it for 3-5 minutes) or laying down in a quiet place.

If you are set on using a drug to cure it, use caffeine, which is said to be safe in moderate amounts (may cause a problem in large amounts).

Sources:

http://holisticonline.com/Remedies/Depression/dep_interactions_MAOI.htm

http://nmnm.essortment.com/headachesremedy_rcra.htm

well i have tried acetemetophen and advil and a lot of OTC's. I was told to stay away from cafeine and ephedra as afaof had seizures on an energy drinks a few days later.
Im wondering if there may be a herbal cure or a vitamin supplement to help. I heard magnesium really helps with some trips, would that be appropriate here??
i know AMT is not a strong MAOI but i would still like to treat as one for safety 's sake.

Re: How Can I Stop An Amt Headache

StickGreen513 said:
i was wondering what is the safest/most effective cure for AMT headaches. They are very bad and i don't know what i could take with AMT.

AND i have been using everybody's search engine, i cannot find a good answer. THANKS.

Clonazepam .5-1mg works almost everytime for me. Sometimes a couple of ibuprofen ta boot. Also, water...

Ok, this is going to sound really out there, but the only way that I can cope with the comedown of AMT is by smoking small amounts of 5-meo-dmt. Since the AMT already acts as a MAOI inhibitor, only a mg or two is needed. This always provided a good half hour relief from the headache, as well as a nice 5-meo-dmt trip. I would usually have to do this a few times before the AMT wore off enough that I could sleep. That headache and overall shitty feeling is exactly why I don't care for AMT. Other than that, a benzo is probably your best bet.

I find AMT worth the headache. Yes, it is such a great chemical IMO. You can't stop someone from drinking either even if they get headaches every time.. And everyone knows Alcohol is bad for you, yet they still do it.

Besides, only 2 times out of the numerous trips on AMT or so did I get a headache (migraine).

endeavor said:
If it is worth a migraine, then maybe I really did miss something by not experiencing the chemical.

I only got a headache off of it a few times. Most of the other experiences were largely side effect free, and on a few occasions, quite special. I just love the empathic rush that morphs into the wonderful cascading visuals. AMT is a very visual drug for me, at doses 30mg and upwards. I wonder if coffee I had ingested during the day on those occasions had a hand in creating the headaches. Often I have wondered if the headaches are caused by the chemical, or rather are a side effect of clenching the facial muscles. I find that when I have such a headache, if I consciously try to relax the manner in which I am holding my facial set, I can alleviate some of the pain. That is why I think clonazepam works so well for me. I actually employ clonazepam anytime I get a headache as a result of taking psychedelics. I have tried xanax as well for this reason, but the results were not nearly as good. Xanax pretty much just knocks me out.

CatfishRivers said:
I wonder if coffee I had ingested during the day on those occasions had a hand in creating the headaches. Often I have wondered if the headaches are caused by the chemical, or rather are a side effect of clenching the facial muscles.

I don't think that the caffeine makes a difference.. The MAO inhibition from the AMT is not that strong. And caffeine in moderate doses are no problem with actual MAOI's (e.g. Peganum, Caapi).

And I think it's definitely chemical related; clenching of facial muscles absolutely can't produce a headache that strong in my experiences. I've had it much worse on MDMA (the clenching).

Btw, are you the CatfishRivers from the Reports on Erowid? I rather enjoyed those reports. =D

It could be your dehydrated. I noticed on 5-meo-amt that I got MASSIVE headaches if I didnt drink anything. Its the thing of you not eating/drinking for 15+ hours. You might eat and stuff, but unless Im conciously trying to eat/drink, I wont unless Im smoking some grass. My lone amt trip I did coke on the comedown so thats no help in identifying anything, but I didnt get a headache!

fasting before AMT?

I'm aware that AMT is a maoi.. what would be the minimum safe fasting (which means not eating for the simple folk :p) time before dosing?

Also how long would it take for the inhibitor effect to go away allowing you to eat tyramine containing foods again?

Last edited:
I don't think AMT's primary action is through inhibiting MAO. I think it's main effect would be through being a 5-HT agonist with some mild MAO inhibition.

I could be wrong though.

i used to think that eating before AMT may be dangerous....but it isn't....in fact if you don't eat prior,you won't eat for up to 2 days afterward, so i'd have a something in the tummy before i ate

Its not a real big concern as far as MAOI activity. You might want to fast beforehand anyway though if you don't have a strong stomach. It makes me a bit queasy, and I've seen a fair amount of people vomit, taking it a few hours after eating something.

AMT is a competetive MAOI that is only marginally more active as an MAOI tham amphetamine (concentrations that have the same degree of inhibition as follows Harmaline 1x; AMT 10 000x; amphetamine 100 000x).

As it's so weak, and a competetive inhibitor, it's going to be safe with any food, and only needs to be watched in conjuntion with a few drugs. I've taken 20mg doses of AMT in conjunction with 40mg of amphetamine without any side effects beyond AMT's capacity to make you puke.

Fasting does def help in reducing the puke factor though; I found that eating something small (and not greasy) at about the 1 hour mark helps a lot - my favourite is oatmeal flapjack!

Smoked AMT

Any one have any experiences of this? There's a couple of trip reports on erowid, and TIHKAL.

Dosages, effects compared to oral? It seems that it comes on slow and lasts just as long when vapourised as when eaten...

Does smoking reduce the nausea/GI problems that some people report?

For some reason the search engine wont let me searcn "amt* smoked" but it will let me search "amt*". Weird.

Last edited:
Tried a long time ago. I did very little and the effects were very mild although faster than orally. Horrible taste.

You need to vapourize it in order to smoke it properly. Use something like a meth pipe to do so.

The dosage needed is much less than oral (5-15mg does it for me, YMMV), the onset is faster, but the effects are not more intense (unless of course you take a higher dose). The duration is also shorter, which can be a good thing.

EDIT: Btw, the vapour smells/tastes very much like 5-MeO-DMT...

AMT smells quite a lot like DMT to me, and I can manage that vapourised. I like that tryptamin-y smell. You must have some odd poo, blowmonkey...

TIHKAL and erowid both claim it lasts almost as long.. which is odd, and several reports say it takes a long time to come on. Guess i'll just have to try it myself to see...

Smoking AMT is a hell of a lot more useful to bring on a trip, rather than to flat out trip. AMT has a notoriously long comeup (~4 hours for me and all ive ever done it with); after abotu 2 hours smoke maybe 5-10mg (have an accurate scale!) in a crack pipe. Usually brings the peak effects on much faster. It tastes like burning mothballs, and churns your stomach like a meat grinder, but such is the way of the RC.