• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big and Dandy AMT Thread - Part 1 (Archived)

What Murple said.
A freezer is better than a refrigerator. A sealed vial is better than a ziplock bag. An amber (tinted) vial is better than a clear vial.

AMT dosage?

Hey all,
I have never tried AMT and I came across 50mg of it. I don't know if my weight is relevant, but I will tell you that I am 135lbs. What would you recommend for me to dose at for my first time?
any information would be greatly appreciated
thanks...

Yeah I guess when I gave my origional answer, I said it assuming you had prior experience with psychedelics. If you really don't, then no more than 25 or 30 mg. And weight is not usually a factor with psychedelics.

AMT effects & after effects

Hello cyber people.. I have tried AMT a couple of times and have come to the conclusion that it is a very interesting drug to say the least. Provides an OK experience but with massive side effects. One dose, normally takes two days to recover from. (ie. stuck in bed with an intense fever) Just wandering if anyone else out there gets fevers while on AMT. I am a seasoned user of other substances and have not yet come across side affects such as fevers before.

Originally posted by Murple:
My guess is that your AMT is not AMT. Perhaps someone decided to slip you some piperazines.

Was that supposed to be funny?
From my experience, AMT does not cause temperature changes, but can cause symptoms associated with fever (cold sweating etc.) I have woken up drenched with sweat after a number of AMT experiences.
Like someone else mentioned, the most annoying side-effect are the headaches I encountered with higher doses.
So the answer, you are not alone in experiencing
fever-like symptoms from AMT. DXM is a common substance that also seems to cause fevers.
[ 18 September 2002: Message edited by: negrogesic ]

I have taken AMT 5 times, at 20, 50, 80, 85, and 120. The only time I have felt at all sick was the time I did 80. I was chilling on my friends porch waiting for my ride to a party to show up and I started having cold sweats and fairly intense naseua. My friends were about 15 minutes late, and this made me very apprehensive, much more than I normally would be. When they showed up, we got on the freeway and my naseau intensified. I tried to smoke a bowl to battle the sickness, but was too late and threw up out the window. When we got to the rave, a million people asked if I was rolling, cause I was sweating so much. The problem was I felt like shitty shit, not like I was rolling. As soon as we left the party, I felt better and had a nice trip.
The other times I have taken AMT were in my dorm (20 and 50) and in the desert (85 and 120). Unlike my bad experience, I was in a comfortable setting and was able to smoke bud (really helps my naseua) 30 minutes after ingestion, then again about one and a half hours later. All of these times, especially in the desert, I had a fantastic trip. Also, most people talk about tripping for 15 hours or whatever, but let me tell you what...when I take AMT, I trip for at least 25 if not 30 hours. Although I think this is a tight substance, I probably won't do it again for a long time. Five in a year is probably way to many times. I hope this helps!

Last time I did Amt, it was the start of a 3 day drug binge. 5pm friday 40mg AMT, 2am 2 E tabs, 12pm saturday 4gr. shrooms, 4pm fat line Meth, 5pm line coke, 10pm 1.5 E tabs, 7 am more meth, 10 am sunday more meth, 4 pm hash brownies & 3 gr. shrooms. During that weekend we smoked approx. 50 grams of weed between 3 people. No alcohol!
It took 3 days to feel "normal" again, but more because of a lack of sleep or food! Other than that I would get waves of nausea 3 days afterwards.

what is the method of action for AMT?

AMT has a really speedy effect on some people yet a trippy on just about everybody. I can understand because the molecule is a sort of hybrid between amphetamine and tryptamine. But im kind of wondering exactly what it does to create such uneque behavior patterns. Cause when me and my companions do it we stay up all night tripping and wondering around from place to place trying to find what it is that we want to do. We get sidtracked really easily and never get anything done and the conversations alwayse end up going back to us realizing we were sidetracked. then the next day we are all mentally and physicly fatigued but cannot sit still. then we fall asleep after about 36 hours

Nobody knows because no one has ever studied what AMT does in the human brain. There have only been a few animal studies, and little else. It is known to have some mild MAO inhibitory action, but so do all psychedelics that tie up MAO. It probably has actions on 5-HT receptors, as do other psychedelics. Beyond that, it is one big fat UNKNOWN. Didn't you get the part about it being research chemical?

Given that it is psychedelic it's most likely primarily a 5HT2A receptor agonist.
However i've dont know of any pharmacological study per se with AMT. I know however some papers about stimulus generalization studies.

i'm thinking Meilikhios is right. i searched CA/medline and found nothing, but it probably has a mechanism of action close to the other tryptamine hallucinogens.

Originally posted by atlas:
I would imagine the soviets tested at least a little before they tried it as an anti depressant. Didn't that make it all the way to Red Pharmacies all across mother Russia?
There is actually an interesting thread about AMT in Russia in alt.drugs.psychedelics right now. You can read the thread here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th :D 00d8214566f7ab9
Indopan (AMT hcl) is apparently still being used as antidepressant in Russia, and I would imagine that there has been at least some testing done on it. Moreso than most other research chemicals, at any rate. Some information on the pharmacological use of AMT hcl in Russia can be found here:
http://users.univ.kiev.ua/~cherninsky/Path/gl2_another.php
The page is in Russian, however my roommate is a Russian exchange student and he helped me translate this (I told him its for one of my psychology courses). The translation:
Indopan
Alpha-methyltryptamine hydrochloride
Dissolves in water or alcohol
Euphoriant, CNS stimulant, antidepressant
Anologue of DMT
Overdose can cause hallucinations and <loss of control-he wasn't sure of exact English translation>
Possible alternative uses include battle training and meditation
Therapeutic dose 40-60 mg per day
Supporting dose 5-10 milligrams per day
Manufactured by Panacea Biotech in 25 milligram capsules
I would imagine that there is a good amount of research that has been done on this substance, however I have no idea how you would go about getting it or if it is even publicly available.

aah, pure speculation, thats all we have to work with.
it seems to me that the mao inhibition would directly be tied in to the psychedelic properties of amt. i mean fuck, it takes 3 hours just to kick in, builds for 6 hours after that to a short peak, and then slowly tapers off. peak visuals of amt were extremely similar to peak visuals of dmt+harmala to me.
i've read somewhere that, in the presence of an maoi, excess 5ht (at least excess tryptophan) can be metabolized into dmt and det. mentally, amt is nothing like dmt, but its possible that there could've been some sort of metabolation like that going on.

Probably the best paper about the neuropharmacology of AMT is Marsden CA. Involvement of 5-hydroxytryptamine and dopamine neurones in the behavioural effects of alpha-methyltryptamine. Neuropharmacology, Vol. 19. pp. 691-698, 1980.

AMT and the effects on the heart

I tried searching for it and reading on erowid about it, but didn't find a lot of interesting stuff. What I wonder is how much AMT affects your heart rate and blood pressure?
I have a pretty high pulse normally (like 70-80) and I'm a bit worried that taking AMT will make my pulse high for like 12-16 hours and that it will make me worry and in turn increase my heart rate, which will raise my BP and maybe my body temperature and leave me in a state of feeling bad/poisoned etc.
I know it's hard to predict how a drug will effect me, since it seems to be individual, but some general pointers maybe? When taking LSD/Mushrooms I haven't felt any significant increase in heart rate, when taking speed/meth (I've done both once) I obviously did, but only on the comedown.
The reason I'm asking is because I tripped on 5-MeO-DiPT for the second time yesterday and had a very bad body load for the first 1.5 hours. My heart rate was also high (at like 120bpm) during that time, after which it calmed down and after the comeup I enjoyed my trip, though during the comeup I did tell myself repeatedly that I'll be fine and that my heart rate is far from dangerous, but it still beat hard and that annoyed me as fuck.
So, basically, how is the AMT body load compared to that of 5-MeO-DiPT? More/less? Or is it individual from time to time, since the first time I took 5-MeO-DiPT I had no noticable body load except for jaw clench. I was thinking of taking 30mg, but I'm not sure if I'm up for it, reading a lot of negative reports on AMT and how bad the body load is. So please, some info would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Matt_Himself:
Im not sure exactly, but I would assume it would be similar to that of amphetamines. Its likely that your experiences with speed would be the same for your heart, but thats IMO.
In my experience, I found AMT to have far more periphial stimulation than any amphetamines I have tried. It was more along the lines of ephedrine / caffeine. In fact, the body load was remarkably similar to a time I used 600 mg caffeine in combination with 50 mg of ephedrine. Yeah, so much for studying *that* night.

amt affects your visual perception more than it hoes your heart rate. Part of the trip you could feel your heart rate going up, but its actually you just tripping on it. a manifestation of expectations....
you got the 5htp's floating around in your seratonin, and amt comes and attaches to the t of the htp, and when its over it detaches, as your body produces more seratonin...

I need to relay the story of my only drug related hospitalization, 2 years ago a "trusted friend" of mine called me up to say he had obtained DPT, so I weighed out 35mg and insufflated it. It came on qualitatively as I would have expected from reading about it. 6 hours later I was getting upset that the trip wasnt ending as it was now 4am and I wanted to get to sleep, as I was in bed with my girlfriend twitching and in physical pain. I had her take my pulse since it was pounding in my ears, she figured around 200bpm. I recalled it being 200 after running the cross country course in high school back when i was in shape. Every vein in my body was sticking out from high blood pressure, and I had her drive my car to the hospital. In the hospital I got laughed at by several doctors and nurses, luckily it wasnt a busy morning and they took my pulse (210) and my BP (160/120), and told me I was most likely having an anxiety attack and they gave me a 1mg ativan (a benzo). 20 minutes later, from knowing that I wasnt gonna die and embarrassed about the $300 hospital bill I was gonna receive, my heart rate and BP were near normal and they sent me home. I couldnt sleep for another 12 hours, and didnt feel normal until I had eaten a huge burrito.
moral of the story: AMT causes an increase in heart rate and BP.