• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Scientific Explanation Thread

Evolution doesn't requires faith in the same way as religion does, because of all the proof. I think that's the point. For example:

"... evolution implies that between the earliest-known ancestors of humans (roughly five million years old) and the appearance of anatomically modern humans (about 100,000 years ago), one should find a succession of hominid creatures with features progressively less apelike and more modern, which is indeed what the fossil record shows. But one should not--and does not--find modern human fossils embedded in strata from the Jurassic period (144 million years ago). Evolutionary biology routinely makes predictions far more refined and precise than this, and researchers test them constantly."

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?ch...5B-1D07-8E49809EC588EEDF&pageNumber=2&catID=2

Donny Don't said:
Every now and then I'll need to ship a piece of IT equipment to somebody in another state, and I'll print off their address on an A4 sheet of paper to stick to the box. I position the sheet of paper neatly, and then reel off a 30cm long piece of sticky tape. As i go to stick down one side of the sheet, as the sticky tape is about 2cm away the sheet of paper jumps up off the box to greet it and ruins the alignment. I'm sure it has something to do with the bernoulli effect, but it both annoys and fascinates me.

What you are witnessing is static electricity. You could try grounding the tape after you rip it off but before you stick on your label. Give it a go and report back!

Now back to evolution and buddhism....

vanth said:
Evolution doesn't requires faith in the same way as religion does, because of all the proof. I think that's the point. For example:

"... evolution implies that between the earliest-known ancestors of humans (roughly five million years old) and the appearance of anatomically modern humans (about 100,000 years ago), one should find a succession of hominid creatures with features progressively less apelike and more modern, which is indeed what the fossil record shows. But one should not--and does not--find modern human fossils embedded in strata from the Jurassic period (144 million years ago). Evolutionary biology routinely makes predictions far more refined and precise than this, and researchers test them constantly."

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?ch...5B-1D07-8E49809EC588EEDF&pageNumber=2&catID=2

The scientific problem with human evolution is that it is built upon the weak science of paleoanthropology. Even one of the most orthodox evolutionist evangelists Richard Leakey admitted, ". . . I often felt that paleoanthropology was more of an art than a science." Sir Peter Medawar, a Nobel Prize winner in medicine referred to paleoanthropology as, "a comparatively humble and unexacting kind of science."

the last couple of years, Ive read and study'd lots of articles about science V religion and im not going to make my mind up. Both are just as "weak" as another.

Pfft. I couldnt give a fuck about the evolution vs religion debate.

I was raised catholic and ill die defending the church for one reason:

If we ARE right, you are gonna be some toasty motherfuckers staring up from purgatory, and i dont want to be one. If we're wrong, then i risk nothing !

I'd rather burn in purgatory for eternity than share heaven with a god that would give a species freedom of thought and then punish them for exercising it.

ValeTudo said:
Pfft. I couldnt give a fuck about the evolution vs religion debate.

I was raised catholic and ill die defending the church for one reason:

If we ARE right, you are gonna be some toasty motherfuckers staring up from purgatory, and i dont want to be one. If we're wrong, then i risk nothing !
Good on ya then mate, you have the right to do so, as long as you don't enforce it on others ;).
How can you be sure though that your religion is the right one(to get you to heaven?)

lostpunk5545 said:
I'd rather burn in purgatory for eternity than share heaven with a god that would give a species freedom of thought and then punish them for exercising it.

what you mean is freedom of CHOICE, and "god" will punish those who do not make the right choices, ultimately, It is us that are punishing ourselvs.

My thought regarding Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Islam, Christianity and subsequent denominations) is that they all revere the same Messiah, they just interpret his teachings differently due to exposure to different prophets at different times in history & in different locations. Therefore, if God is legit, i doubt he would punish me for interpreting his teachings incorrectly, as technically, regardless of which religion i choose, I cherish the same God ~

As for enforcing it on others, go fuck yourself sunshine, the Catholic church soundly rejects the entire concept of evangelism and only accepts converts who actively pursue a relationship with God, this has been the case since the middle ages, forced conversion is pointless unless the individual genuinely accepts Jesus Christ into their heart

(Negcreep) If you can't handle the concepts I'm talking about here then we're just going to go around in circles.

Phase Dancer: That article was great. It reminds me of the way James A. Michener tackles Moses (in The Source - a great book for understanding where religion comes from - recommended reading) talking to God. In The Source Moses is by himself in the desert having visions, but Michener doesn't stoop so low as to imply that Moses is actually talking to God, more that he is talking to himself. Temporal lobe epilepsy as described in that article pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:
best question to ask any religious person is that if they were raised as a child in another country with another dominant religion, would they believe in that religion and shun their current one?

ValeTudo said:
My thought regarding Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Islam, Christianity and subsequent denominations) is that they all revere the same Messiah, they just interpret his teachings differently due to exposure to different prophets at different times in history & in different locations. Therefore, if God is legit, i doubt he would punish me for interpreting his teachings incorrectly, as technically, regardless of which religion i choose, I cherish the same God ~
Yep i agree with what you have said, was just interested to see
As for enforcing it on others, go fuck yourself sunshine, the Catholic church soundly rejects the entire concept of evangelism and only accepts converts who actively pursue a relationship with God, this has been the case since the middle ages, forced conversion is pointless unless the individual genuinely accepts Jesus Christ into their heart
and again...

lostpunk5545 said:
(Negcreep) If you can't handle the concepts I'm talking about here then we're just going to go around in circles.
pffft *backs in a corner and whimpers like a little girl*

preacha said:
best question to ask any religious person is that if they were raised as a child in another country with another dominant religion, would they believe in that religion and shun their current one?
Funny enough i asked my dad that when i was 12yo as my first act of defiance against a very strict religious upbringing

He still prays for me :\

Zophen brushed upon is that religion is essential for a moralistic life.

Don't misinterpret my random gibberings in your fact filled "I am always right" thread "except when ignoring difficult questions"

This you refer too

ahem

zophen said:
^ Religions are full of bullshit , dogmatic theocratic downright inhumane at times , but the basis of them is often actually the way to live if at all possible.

as in the word which conveys little unless you actually feel it

LOVE

At fucking last !

Man semantics is a game, but misinterpretation is poor !8( :p

ValeTudo said:
This is known as Pascals Wager and was the line of reasoning that kept me Christian during my earlier childhood. By 'line of reasoning' i mean justification to my religion inspired fears.

Questioning your own faith is a painful guilt ridden exercise but the rewards far outway Pascals poorly thought out wager. The wager doesnt account for the ongoing cost of blind belief on what could be your only existence or that its equally probable that a positive afterlife is based purely on moralistic/altruistic behavior rather than belief in which case the wager is a selfish gambit and harms your 'odds'.

But, each to their own

^ yeah, i have always thought that way of thinking is so self-serving, and really quite incogruent with the christian values. Who wants to be a christian simply because they are afraid of the alternative?

There is also the benefit of sex without marriage, lying, swearing, cheating and all the other good things that come when you don't love Hillsong ;)

^ Who the fuck is talking about christianity ???????????????????????????

The basis of most religions is respect !! For the universe nature fellow human beings FFS Wake up !

maxload said:
I don't believe in Jesus son of God/Allah is great/ Let me hug you with all my pairs of arms religions. I do believe in the battle between good vs evil. If people stopped and looked around for one second they may realise that we are the Gods. No other organism has such a profound influence on the planet and we are inching closer to complete control over life. Hell eternal life is as easy as downloading a mind and adding this hard drive to a more durable vessel and then jetison it into the universe.

But the universe is not ready for a group of humans who haven't learn't the importance of love and compassion (can you feel the PLUR?) so until we have control of our own existence we won't survive much past the solar system. Win the battle against evil and we will spread forth like the fingers of God.

Sorry doesn't prove evolution is king, but it is a little more female friendly while still allowing oysters and bacon sandwitches.;)

Well said Sir maximumload!%) Its within us...:)