• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Scientific Explanation Thread

The concept of nothing before the creation of our universe is a moot point if you consider that the word universe does not represent universal. Parallel universes are not sci-fi theories restricted to Bill and Ted. It is generally accepted that for our current theories of physics to be viable, then other parallell universes must interact with ours. It is also accepted that some components (gravity is one) actually transverse between different universe's. There is a reason they are building a fucking huge proton accelerator in France (Switzerland?) at present, costing billions of dollars, and no hope of feeding the poor coming from it. The real (and hopeful) risk of tearing a hole in the fabric of this universe is possible. Will this destroy us all? Will the Vatican call shinanigans and call it a Hollywood sham? Will we find a cloud loaded with 40 virgins? Stay tune in the next 12-18 months.

The Big bang is often believed to be caused by the random collision of adjacent universes. It is also possible that is event was not isolated and will happen again at any time, maybe even involving this universe, so don't place all your investments in shares or property.

As for proving all of this, well without a better space exploration programme we are restricted to peering into space with rather crude viewing devices. Don't knock religion, it provdes hope and individual self importants to people who aren't happy with their lot in life. It also clears out the house of Load on Sunday mornings for an hour or two, leaving Max in peace to swing in the hammock and read the Sunday paper.

maxload said:
It is also accepted that some components (gravity is one) actually transverse between different universe's
Well that answers my '3am sit bolt upright and wonder why our universe isnt symmetrical*' question**

* Which is what you would expect if it was an isolated system that begun as a singularity
** Why I couldnt just dream about hot slutz instead is beyond the scope of this thread

^If there is a God, then I do believe you may come close to seeing him on our camping trip in a few weeks Mr Dogg.

You can't dream about hot sluts if you are sleep deprieved.

Question, which came first the hotness or the slutiness?
Do you need to be hot for people to then hit on you in a slutty way, or are you firstly a slut who has to hot themselves up to a ho standard? (And if you didn't hot yourself up, can you thenstill be a slut?) These are the fucking questions of life NASA should be answering

^ Last time I saw god he was having a shower at the time*. Was pretty embarrassing for both of us I might add

Recent scientific advances in phornicarium measuring techniques have shown that hawtium and slutarum and actually symbiotic organisms. Without one the other they will quickly die off and precome prey to roaming pathogens such as the highly infectious marriolosus.

Other contributing factors to slutarum rich environments is in the presence of hormones infused with high doses of alcohol. However slutarum bred in such environments are found to be short lived and highly unstable.

Yors Trooly
Dr Dog

* Suffice to say i'll never use the term 'hung like a god' in the same way again

Last edited:
shorza said:
What is stopping another big bang happening?

I read a theory that there could have been multiple big bangs and therefore multiple universes existing. However if this is true there is absolutely no way to get between them because they are seperated by nothing. Try and get your head around that :)

Last edited:
MoeBro said:
$210 if you can get me the use of a microscope that shows you electrons circulating a nucleus.

..and $420 if you can prove that an electron actually 'circles' a nucleus.

I cbf waiting for your reply.

Circulating doesn't necessarily imply that it is travelling in a circular trajectory, merely that it is travelling around said nucleus. check the definitions of the word.

shorza said:
Here is a good description of what some other dimentions could be.

more importantly, wtf? you're attempting to lecture me in quantum physics and can't spell dimensions?

Chill the fuck out dude, neither post was directed at you.

I was under the impression that an electron is distributed throughout the atom at every moment. Sort of everywhere at once, in a kind of 'cloud'?

I guess it lies in my definition of circulate. As you can see, my english isn't that great. At least I have a bigger dick than you!

I was under the impression that an electron is distributed throughout the atom at every moment. Sort of everywhere at once, in a kind of 'cloud'?

The electron cloud is a product of the Schrodinger equation (wave mechanics) which became the best way of describing Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

Put simply, the probability of finding an electron around a nucleus is governed by the principle quantum numbers which form the basis for Schrodinger's 3D equation. These principle numbers are:

1) "n" number which contains information about the energy and size of orbital

2) "l", the subsidiary or azimuthal number, which gives info on the shape of the orbital and

3) ml the magnetic quantum number which gives information on spacial orientation

A fourth quantum number m s is related to the magnetic moment. No two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers.

The electron cloud is best illustrated by a Boundary surface diagram which represents the orbital as a wave function with a 95% boundary surface probability for a 2s orbital.

For a more thorough explanation try starting with the Aufbau principle and read how electromagnetic radiation reacts with matter before studying blackbox radiation, Plank's constant and photoelectric effects. Then you'll be ready for Bohr's theory, then Heisenberg, followed by Schrodingers equation. I found the math not terribly difficult except for validating Schrodinger's equation but you don't need this to go further.

My 'understanding the universe for dummies' (by dummies) explanation of sub atomic particles:

The main problem when trying to understand itty bitty particles is that we attempt to visualize them like we do .. err .. visible (real) things.
ie. A marble circling a cup and a planet orbiting the sun are the same concept except on a different scale. But, an electron circling an atom is not the same thing at all.

This is because an electron is not a physical object. Much like a cog inside a wristwatch is not just a smaller wristwatch. It doesnt obey the regular laws of matter such as being in 'one place at one point in time' and 'not acting like a wave'. You're best of thinking of it only as an abstract concept or a bunch of formulas.

Scientists understanding of these things is really quite poor ... metaphorically they are trying to work out the architecual blueprint for a house by blindly tossing tennis balls over the fence and listening for the thuds.

i'm chill.
somewhat relaxed you could say.

and boo@bigger dick
low blow :(

The CERN Large Hadron Collider is due to slowly be brought online over the next year. This is two large (27 mile) rings into which photons are fed in concentrated bursts by a series of smaller tunnels that concentrate and accelerate photons. Each beam consists of 2808 bunches, each bunch contains 10^15 photons. The beams are a few centrimetres long but each one contains as much energy as a heavy car going at 1000mph or 77Kg of TNT.

The hope is to produce mini black holes (about one per second) and to watch them decay. Sceptics are saying that the scientists simply don't know if these black holes will decay or not, and if one of them stabilises for some reason it would suck the entire solar system in.

The scientists say this is perfectly safe and that if anything was going to happen it would have happened already through cosmic rays hitting the earth.

Luckily humanity has these guys looking out for us!

http://lifeboat.com/ex/particle.accelerator.shield

Scientsist. Why did they do it? Because they could.

I didnt know you could accelerate photons ... isnt there like a speed limit?

id assume light speed would be the speed limit.
that looks strange :\

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cern states they're accelerating protons, not photons, in which case light speed is most definitely the unobtainable speed limit,

One aim of the collider is also to try and find the Higgs Boson particle.

The Higgs boson is a hypothetical massive scalar elementary particle predicted to exist by the Standard Model of particle physics. It is the only Standard Model particle not yet observed, but plays a key role in explaining the origins of the mass of other elementary particles, in particular the difference between the massless photon and the very heavy W and Z bosons. Elementary particle masses, and the differences between electromagnetism (caused by the photon) and the weak force (caused by the W and Z bosons), are critical to many aspects of the structure of microscopic (and hence macroscopic) matter; thus if it exists, the Higgs boson has an enormous effect on the world around us.

As of 2006, no experiment has directly detected the existence of the Higgs boson, but there is some indirect evidence for it. The Higgs boson was first predicted in 1964 by the British physicist Peter Higgs, working from the ideas of Philip Anderson, and independently by others.

Wikipedia link

It's a Bump-a-thon!

From here.

THE remains of the earliest known child from humanity’s family tree have been discovered in Ethiopia, filling in a critical missing link in evolution.

The almost complete skeleton belongs to a young girl of the species Australopithecus afarensis — a probable human ancestor that was among the first to walk on two legs — who died at the age of 3 about 3.3 million years ago.

The girl, named “Selam” after the word for peace in several Ethiopian languages, is by far the oldest fossil of a hominin child yet unearthed and blurs the line between apes and humans.

evolutionlk4.jpg

She has also been nicknamed “little Lucy”, after the specimen of the same species discovered just 2½ miles (4km) away in 1974, named Lucy because the scientists who found her were listening to the Beatles song Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

Early analysis has already started to transform understanding of a pivotal stage in the evolutionary process that led ultimately to Homo sapiens. Her anatomical features lie squarely in between those of humans and other apes, showing adaptations for walking upright on two legs and for climbing and swinging from trees.

This suggests that the species lived on the cusp of the human family’s transition to a bipedal, ground-based existence, generally accepted as one of the most crucial events in the emergence of the modern anatomy.

Selam’s brain case also suggests that while her intellect was more similar to a chimp than Man, the brain of her species had already started to evolve in the direction that would produce modern human intelligence. Details of the fossil are published today in the journal Nature.

Selam’s leg and foot bones show her to have been already adept at walking upright at the age of 3, showing conclusively that A. afarensis was an accomplished biped.

Her shoulder blades are similar to those of a modern gorilla, while her fingers are long and curved, like those of a chimpanzee. The canals of her inner ear — important for balance — are also quite chimp-like. All this suggests that A. afarensis divided its time between walking upright on the ground, and climbing trees. It is possible that, like modern gorillas, females and infants spent more time in the trees, where they would have been safer from predators.

Another interesting feature is the hyoid or tongue bone, never found before in a species older than Neanderthal man. It influences the voice box and is important to the debate about the origins of human speech. Selam’s hyoid is much more similar to that of modern apes than humans, suggesting that A. afarensis was not capable of language.

Zeresenay Alemseged, an Ethiopian scientist at the Max Planck Institute in Leipzig, Germany, who led the team that found and examined Selam, said she was one of the most important hominin fossils on record: “Her completeness, antiquity and age at death combined, make this find unprecedented in the history of palaeoanthropology, and open many new research avenues to investigate the childhood of early human ancestors.”

The find was also hailed by independent experts, including Donald Johanson, who led the group that found Lucy 32 years ago. “It’s a remarkable and rewarding discovery,” Dr Johanson told The Times. “The completeness is extraordinary, and what is very gratifying for me is that the find was just four kilometres directly south from where Lucy was found all those years ago.”

Selam was found in the Dikika region of northeastern Ethiopia on December 10, 2000, by Tilahun Gebreselassie, a member of Dr Zeresenay’s team. It has since taken the scientists almost six years to extract her remains from sandstone, often using dental tools to remove rock grain by grain.

The entire skull and torso and most of the upper and lower limbs are present. While other juvenile fossils exist, such as the 2.5 million-year-old Taung child of the species Australopithecus africanus, they are known only from fragments of skull, bone or teeth.

Selam’s skull enabled a team from National Geographic to produce an artist’s impression of what the girl might have looked like. “This is something you find once in a lifetime,” Dr Zeresenay said. “Unlike Lucy, the baby has fingers, a foot and a torso. But the most impressive difference between them is that this baby has a face.”

UnSquare Ice

Can some
scientician
*"ha'", turns around*
tell me why hot water freezes
in ice cube tray
quicka than luke?

I've been fascimled by it...

Cheer
PEACE
UnS
:)