View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Zyprexa and LSD?

ford442

Bluelighter
does Zyprexa really dampen the effects of acid? i'm on 15mg daily...

and what about Abilify? i'm thinking of switching to that soon...

Zyprexa is the brand name for olanzapine.

Olanzapine is a thienobenzodiazepine. According to Wikipedia, it is structurally similar to Clozapine...

I have heard some antipsychotics mixed with LSD will cause heart failure. This makes me want to let someone more knowledgable than I to answer...

really? good heavens.. :-(
i took some acid the other night, but it did almost nothing.. could be because of my Zyprexa.. (and i'm not dead btw - in case you were wondering)
so - now that i've read some other posts it looks like i shouldnt take my Zyprexa like 48 hours before tripping.. i think that will be fine.. i'll try it next time.. hopefully soon! ;-)

I would lay off the psychedelics until someone with greater knowledge replies here...

Good luck with your future trips. :)

I’ve tripped on 2CC and DPT while taking daily doses of 10mg zypreza. Zyprexa has roughly a 5day half life but I only stopped taking it 3 days before my trips. It did not dampen the trips too much at all, I could feel the zyprexa ‘signature’ mixed in there with the 2CC/DPT effects but it didn’t bother me at all. Actually had more of a grounding effect and prevented any and all anxiety. Easier re-entry too. I was happy to find I could still trip moderately. I didn’t attempt a full blown heavy trip at the time because, well, I was trying to maintain emotional stability in my life.

Sorry no info on LSD interaction.

From my expierance Zyprexa completley destroys all positive effects of LSD ....but then again if your taking an anti-psychotic you shouldnt be fuckin around with powerful psychedelics period:\

ford442 said:
does Zyprexa really dampen the effects of acid? i'm on 15mg daily...

and what about Abilify? i'm thinking of switching to that soon...

Antipsychotic medications (especially the newer ‘atypicals’) are a surefire way to crash a trip in no time flat. Olanzapine (trade name Zyprexa or Zyprexa Zydis) in the 5-20 mg. range should be plenty to knockdown or knockout a trip on most of the 5HT2 psychedelics.

So do I think taking an atypical will dramatically impact the psychoactive effects of LSD and/or related compounds? I think there is little doubt about it.

More importantly, if you are taking an antipsychotic medication you should probably not take any psychedelic drugs, nor should you discontinue any currently Rx medication(s) without a very honest heart to heart talk with your prescriber. If you are truly in need of pharmacotherapy of the Olanzapine variety, any taking or discontinuation of any drugs should be considered with the utmost care.

As for Abilify (aripiprazole), while it has some novel dopamine actions, it still has notable 5HT2A actions like many of the ‘atypical’ / 2nd generation antipsychotics it would probably impact any serotonin acting psychedelics to some degree.

bickoma said:
I have heard some antipsychotics mixed with LSD will cause heart failure. This makes me want to let someone more knowledgable than I to answer...

As far as I know this is bullshit. If you have a specific reference that supports this though, I am all ears.

I know that there are numerous threads that detail the relationship between serotonin based psychedelics and antipsychotic medications… try searching PD and ADD.

I B

ok.. from what i've read here i can just not take the olanzapine maybe 48 hours beforehand - and i know from experience that my symptoms will not return unmedicated for at least 10 days - so a few days shouldnt cause any harm..

as far as not taking mind altering drugs in my condition - thank you kindly for your concern - i will judge carefully if they are having a real impact on my sanity...

ford442 said:
ok.. from what i've read here i can just not take the olanzapine maybe 48 hours beforehand…
It has a 21-54 hour half life so… NO that is not correct. That is not to say that one will experience zero effects, but some attenuation of effects should be expected long after the last dose of olanzapine is taken.

ford442 said:
…and i know from experience that my symptoms will not return unmedicated for at least 10 days - so a few days shouldnt cause any harm..
as far as not taking mind altering drugs in my condition - thank you kindly for your concern - i will judge carefully if they are having a real impact on my sanity...

Again no offense, but if you are Rx olanzapine, you either have a near-quack doctor who really likes going ‘off label’ or you have an Axis I psychiatric disorder ala the DSM. With regard to Axis I disorders, for many persons simply missing a single day or a few days of meds will cause a notable increase in symptoms if not full blow remission/decompensation. Also persons who have a psychiatric disorder are often times the poorest judge of their own relative stability during such periods.

I am not recommending a specific course of action here, but I really do hope you have a good solid grasp of the facts before making any decisions on any matters such as these.

I B

ya - i guess it's wishful thinking that 48 hours will be enough - but i have seen that quoted on this board - i won't risk taking much more time than that away from my meds - i have tried (with my doctor's blessing) to get off my Zyprexa completely, but i couldnt manage it - that's partly how i know that it takes about 2 weeks for me to see any trace of my symptoms returning.. i've tried that twice as i recall..

and yes - the Zyprexa is for schizophrenea - i will be going into this with a lot of caution.. the last thing i want is to worsen my mental health significantly..

Do not under any circumstances take LSD if you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, nor should you be interrupting your Zyprexa regimen for any reason.

i took some while 'schizo' and on those meds, and i still tripped, ruined the potency & dampened the effects in my opinion but its was still really fun. it didnt make me go insane or even increase my syptoms noticably. in fact i seemed to actually get less syptoms. so i guess its different for everyone.

Look for info on k-opiod and 5-ht agonist interactions with zyprexa on pubmed, it is a really good place to look

zyprexa indeed dulls alot of hallucinogens from my exp.

dont know about others

Ya that zyprexa kills LSD and lsa for that matter. I had 3 hits of acid... nothing. Ate almost 700 morning glory seeds, and aside from getting the runs... nothing. Its very frustrating because I wanna trip one time, which I know isn't the smartest thing to do due to my severe bipolar, but I believe life is a trip and psychedelics can help you train your mind to always look for the positive and find joy and adventure in life. And even if youre having a really bad trip, you can turn it around if youre mind is strong and free. It is sometimes extremely difficult when you trip, but if you can turn it around on acid then there's no reason you can't turn it around in life.

this thread pretty dead, but figured i'd necro it and post this incase any1 else wondered...

didn't know back then that Zyprexa was inhibiting certain psychedelic drugs such as LSD or ecstacy/mdma, mushrooms work just fine (although slight stomach discomfort), anyways i once traded some shrooms for a hit of lsd, i took the lsd and nothing happened, then sometime later i got a good deal of 7 hits of LSD, i asked the guy how much he considered to be a good dose and he said two, so i took two and nothing happened, i waited two hours and then took 2 more, nothing still happened and i took another hit, then i was fed up and called the dealer again saying i had taken 5 hits and nothing, and he was just omg you did what!?, i ended up taking the rest, two more, and nothing happened apart from similar effects to amphetamine (hyper active), no visuals at all though
was taking a daily dose of Olanzapine 10mg at the time

so yeah, at least for me, LSD seems to have 0 effect taking that drug

this thread pretty dead, but figured i'd necro it and post this incase any1 else wondered...

didn't know back then that Zyprexa was inhibiting certain psychedelic drugs such as LSD or ecstacy/mdma, mushrooms work just fine (although slight stomach discomfort), anyways i once traded some shrooms for a hit of lsd, i took the lsd and nothing happened, then sometime later i got a good deal of 7 hits of LSD, i asked the guy how much he considered to be a good dose and he said two, so i took two and nothing happened, i waited two hours and then took 2 more, nothing still happened and i took another hit, then i was fed up and called the dealer again saying i had taken 5 hits and nothing, and he was just omg you did what!?, i ended up taking the rest, two more, and nothing happened apart from similar effects to amphetamine (hyper active), no visuals at all though
was taking a daily dose of Olanzapine 10mg at the time

so yeah, at least for me, LSD seems to have 0 effect taking that drug

Yeah, I was only taking 2.5-5MG of Olanzapine for a few months and it seems to dull the affects of LSD by a lot. Considering its half-life is about 24 hours and they have you take the medication daily, that means every day taking the medication the concentration of olanzapine will increase in your body considering you are re-upping your intake every half-life. Anyone taking Olanzapine in higher doses for a long period of time isn't going to be feeling the effects of Acid. But, I would like to mention I wasn't experiencing any heart problems or issues in that department. The affect of acid is either null or minimal while on Olanzapine (Same as taking an SSRI while on Olanzapine). I stopped taking Olanzapine 2 weeks ago and the affects of LSD are still duller than they were before I started taking the medication. I was only on Olanzapine for 2 months on a 2.5MG dose. I stopped cold-turkey and the withdrawals were bad for only a few days but I wasn't taking it that long. I do strongly recommend anyone coming off the drug after a long period of time to taper down.

I understand a lot of people are here for mental "issues". I would like to remind you that our mental "illnesses" aren't diseases. It is just our mind working in more intricate and aware state than most people. Often times our subconscious can exaggerate what we sense and are aware of. Just be mindful of this exaggeration and see the truth that your subconscious is merely only trying to communicate something to you. Focus on reality and you will see only reality. I've recovered from schizophrenia on my own and have helped a friend recover as well. There is nothing wrong with us, we are just given tools to better understand the universe and once you recognize that, you have much more control/power over the supposed "illness" - which to me can be actually seen as an evolutionary trait for human beings to tap into the metaphysical/spiritual realm - to give us access to the universal wealth of knowledge out there for our senses to perceive.

I'm bipolar and a neuroscience post grad so nobody come at me for mixing its my mind.

Trip regually ish once a year or so. Anyway. Orlanzapine 2.5mg and lamotrogine 25mg do not block effects of 300ug. In my experience, higher doses would need to be monitored closely. Visuals may not be as pronounced but mood and exploring the mind good to go.

Lamotrogine larger doses probably also won't effect trips, in my experience. Orlanzapine can also take the anxiety off.

Use with caution always at your own risk stay at smaller does.

I'm bipolar and a neuroscience post grad so nobody come at me for mixing its my mind.

Trip regually ish once a year or so. Anyway. Orlanzapine 2.5mg and lamotrogine 25mg do not block effects of 300ug. In my experience, higher doses would need to be monitored closely. Visuals may not be as pronounced but mood and exploring the mind good to go.

Lamotrogine larger doses probably also won't effect trips, in my experience. Orlanzapine can also take the anxiety off.

Use with caution always at your own risk stay at smaller does.
You’re a neuroscience post-grad?
Can I ask you a question …
Is it possible for a antipsychotics to destroy chemical reward pathways forever or is that just fear mongering I see on forums ?

Why are some people never able to get good highs again from drugs , years after stopping , if antipsychotic don’t cause brain damage? Do you think it’s common to never get euphoria or good trips again after stopping ?