• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Bioavailability/Half-life MEGA Thread

I have to totally disagree where it says that midazolam has ~55% bioavailability intranasally. It's probably at least ~79%+
I am talking about midazolam maleate though.

The bioavailability of midazolam listed in this post is for buccal absorption (as per the link), not oral. GI ("oral") absorption is actually around 37%, as noted a few posts above.

I'm not a bitch I swear I'm not! Midazolam's just a very very strange benzo.

(I would have pmed the poster, but I've only been a member for 5 years- don't have PM rights yet ;D)

5 years? The fuck? Anyways...

One thing that I haven't seen is a bioavailability percentage for smoking Fentanyl. I have searched the net from top to bottom (as far as I can tell) and I just can't find it anywhere.

Is this because there have not been any studies done to find the bioavailability with smoking or freebasing it?

May sound like a stupid question, but I feel like I get way more of the drug if I freebase the gel off of some foil or something.

Anyone have any ideas?

^ Its just more intense that way because of how much faster it hits you. I dont think it has anything to do with BA as the BA is probably lower than other ROA's. Also, you lose a lot from burning off some smoke that you dont catch, but the speed in which it sets in makes up for that.

Im not 100% sure on all of this, except for the fact that your experiences with smoking are more intense because of onset of action, but the rest requires confirmation.

sonic said:
According to rxlist: It (lorazepam) is a nearly white powder almost insoluble in water.
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/loraz.htm

Water solubility is usually a good indicator whether a substance can effectively be snorted or not.

My friend got lorazepam (ativan) injections when he took thirty 30mg Adderall in less than a day and was sent to the hospital. The nurse gave him 3 injections so he could try and get some sleep. How is a substance able to be injected if its insoluble in water? They were ampoules made for the purpose of course. Alprazolam cannot be prepared in ampoules thought but Diazepam ones are made.
How?

why does it matter if you snort or eat?
I think if it doesn't get absorbed by the nose it will eventually drip down in your stomach. I can see myelf snorting a whole pill, and it completley drips down my throat and ends up being absorbed by my stomach anyway?

Help please :) I never understood this, that is why i am asking

How can something not soluble in water be injected? Different salts of a drug have different solubilities. Take propofol for example, it is not soluble in water, but it comes in an injectable emulsion of soy oil and different fatty acids. It just needs to get into your veins safely, then it doesn't matter. It does not need to be "soluble" in water as long as the mollecule still reaches the receptor.
I bet if you find a suitable solvent to Prep Lorazepam you could inject it. But then, there is not a safe solvent that can easily be injected. Ever heard of people cooking up their benzos with alcohol and then shooting it?

Does ADDERALL (DEXTROAMPHETAMINE) have a 75% or 25% oral bioavailability?

There were 2 different answers people posted, so I am trying to figure out what the oral bioavailability is...

Thanks!

anyone know the bioavailability for focalin? All aspects?

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought midazolam oral bioavailability was like 20%, and one guy has it listed at 36-40, and another at 75.

trichr0me said:
anyone know the bioavailability for focalin? All aspects?

similar to ritalin

oral.........11-52% BA
nasal..... 60-77%
IV...........98-99%
rectal......??? i'd guess around 40-60%

anyone know the BA's for morphine orally, rectally, insuffilated? on the first page it just says 20-30% oral/rectal and 10% insuffilated... is that correct?

anyone know morphine's rectal BA compared to oral or IV?

trichr0me said:
Does ADDERALL (DEXTROAMPHETAMINE) have a 75% or 25% oral bioavailability?

There were 2 different answers people posted, so I am trying to figure out what the oral bioavailability is...

Thanks!

Adderall is only 50% dextroamphetamine (25% sulfate, 25% saccharate). The other 50% is similar but different, racemic levo-amphetamine.

The drug is designed to take orally, and IIRC the high-life is around 75%. I could be remembering this wrong, but I do know its substantially higher than 25%

enoughorangejuice? said:
anyone know morphine's rectal BA compared to oral or IV?

All Bioavailabilities for other ROAs is relative to IV (which is 100% BA). Morphine has a shitty oral bioavailability at around 30% and based on experience and research I would place the bioavailability for rectal route at about the same. The only difference in this ROA is that it gets absorbed faster, kicks in faster, etc. causing a lot of people to think the BA is higher rectally but I have my doubts about that.

Short answer: oral/rectal is 30%, IV is 100% :)

enoughOJ, where did you get that methylphenidate nasal absorption figure?

nukka said:
Adderall is only 50% dextroamphetamine (25% sulfate, 25% saccharate). The other 50% is similar but different, racemic levo-amphetamine.

The drug is designed to take orally, and IIRC the high-life is around 75%. I could be remembering this wrong, but I do know its substantially higher than 25%

All Bioavailabilities for other ROAs is relative to IV (which is 100% BA). Morphine has a shitty oral bioavailability at around 30% and based on experience and research I would place the bioavailability for rectal route at about the same. The only difference in this ROA is that it gets absorbed faster, kicks in faster, etc. causing a lot of people to think the BA is higher rectally but I have my doubts about that.

Short answer: oral/rectal is 30%, IV is 100% :)
Agreed, that's what it seemed like to me.

this is a great thread lots of very useful information but im pretty sure the rectal administration of hydromorphone is much high than oral or intranasal

Ryan: Perhaps you should begin experimenting and let us know the results, in the name of science.

Other person
: Plugging is putting drugs up your anus. Not knowing isn't necessarily a bad thing.

the unknown said:
then why does everyone feel just as high mg for mg when insuffulated or taken orally. Like i said everyone would notice if 20mg felt like only 10mg if insuffulated. It just doesn't make sense.

In a subjective withdrawal-relief situation, intranasal oxycodone was only half as effective in relieving deep muscle cramps & RLS as was the same dose P.O. 12 hours later. I felt the same mental/craving relief as P.O., but the deep muscle involvement wasn't nearly as effective as P.O. Not sure how this speaks to bio-availability, but notable.

Lots of variables involved with insufflation as well. Unless you chase with drops water to make sure full dose is liberated it can hold a lot of your dose inactive in your nose, hidden in binder, etc.

Four Thoughts

1. For the benzodiazepenes do not waste time plugging because it has no increase in bioavailability. Putting clonazepam among others under the tongue to dissolve and absorb may be a better alternative to swallowing.

2. Oxycodone works well when insufflated and it has more to do with how fast dopamine is released when snorting than the overall bioavailability. Filters in various oxy products play a big role as well. Plugging is a waste of time and Oxycontin should just be chewed.

3. For methylphenidate the nasal bioavailability is near 70%. This is often disputed because drug companies that design the drug and its analogues for children do not want to list a bioavailability for a dopamine re-uptake inhibitor that is stronger than cocaine aside from serotonin re-uptake.

4. To increase availability looking into enzymes is crucial for absorption. CYP-450 is of course crucial for many benzodiazepenes and opiates/opioids.

i'd like to post this i pm'ed this to sonic and asked him to add it to one of the stickies but ill post it anyways
its a chart with opioids strengths relative to 10mg of morphine
morphine oral 10mg =
codeine im/sc 40
oral 66.67
fentanyl im/iv .03
hydrocodone 10
hydromorphone oral 2.5
im .5
demerol oral 100
im/sc 25
methadone im/sc .67
oral 6.67
morphine im / sc 3.33
oxycodone oral 6.67
oxymorphone oral 3.33
iv/im .33
all bioavailbilities listed relative to 10mg morphine orally.
that is not taking into account cross tolerance and its from globalrph.com's narcotics calculator