Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Melbourne Shuffle - Your Opinion

arizona83

Bluelighter
I personally used to hate the Melbourne shuffle. I'm not really too sure what my reasons were. About a year or so ago I started to get into it a bit whenever I went to raves. I personally think that if you start to try to do the shuffle it changes the way you hear the beat of the music. I'm by no means a good shuffler and I'm always trying to get better at it. Currently I'm trying to get the hang of doing the running man but it's harder than I thought it would be.

I guess what I wanted to know was what peoples opinions of the Melbourne shuffle are. If you can do it how did you learn it and how long did it take you to get good at it? What sort of moves can you pull off and what were the hardest moves to learn?

Hey, I go out all the time! Mostly to the office and Playdays, but that is totally out.

(4 years ago :p)

Isn't there a giant thread on this somewhere?

(and now I'm off because I'm not from melbourne and I don't do dancing so that was really all i could contribute :p)

^ +1 (edit: to trancegirle, not EE!)

Jaded as i am, and not being from melbs originally, i can still appreciate the skill and obvious practise time that goes into a good shuffle. It does look rather cool. The cap spinning stuff impressed me greatly the first time i saw it done well. But there is a time and a place for everything.

KB's bedroom is the place. Saturday night is the time :)

I like it and I can do it (pretty well, but not fantastic) but I do think it's been a little overhyped during the past few years with people showing off their skills on clept, xes, youtube... competitions and it spreading to Malaysia...

I still think it's better when people dance even if the attitude level has gone up just a touch.

End of days, the best thing about it is it's still very much a raver's dance step; something you learn by practice, being taught at raves or by watching people dance and that when the little clubbers come around for their yearly roll in the rave scene... they're just dancing in circles around their pocketbook and shoes.

KemicalBurn said:
How can there be competitions when it all looks the same?

It all starts off with the same shuffling movement with your feet but that's pretty much the only thing that stays the same with every shuffler... Some people shuffle backwards and forwards, some go side to side.

I don't do hat tricks because it think it's a little lame... but I know some people who get away with it.

Some people do more spins and jumps, there are different hand movements; bent elbows, air guitar, pointing, scratching (DJ), kind of like... backwards wave (butterfly if they were in a pool).

People going at different speeds; some people are more slower and graceful, others are a lot faster and go like a bunny...

http://www.xes.cx/shuffle.htm

I think its quite cool in a sense everyone has the same sorta step yet everyone has their own unique dance and puts in effort to making it and picking things from other peoples dances and making it their own. its all about expressing yourself and lovin the music. as to the attitude thats got into the scene, i wouldnt know as i dont live in aus and im one of those dudes whose caught the bug overseas as loads of my friends have gone back home to aus and come back to visit me and yeah, i just pickd it up. Just do as u feel as you go along. when someone dances good it just looks like everything flows every movement is so perfect. and yeah, i used to be big into the cap things. they amazed people who didnt know about the dance step but i started finding it lame after awhile.

To the OP: yeah man, im having probs with the running man. i can do it as a step but tryin to incorporate it into my dance lookin smoothly. it just aint too nice. apparently the french step is something new to look into.

^^^^

Yeh I think sometimes the best way to learn the new moves is to take a pill in the privacy of your own home and just go for it. It's surprising some of the shit you come up with when your off chops. French step?? Can't say I've heard of it...

actually, i was tryin to learn it when my mates showd me while they were off it one night. was tryin it out at home and couldnt quite get it. next weekend comes around and im right off my pickle and it just hits me. once u get the basic step u kinda understand it. the rest is up to your creativity. I havent seen the french step but someone was explaining it to me once and i didnt quite get him.

Well, personally, I'm from Melbourne and I can't stand it. But I don't dig on the rave scene so that kinda explains it.

Hip hop/house is where the funk is at...

Does anyone else think that it looks like some crazy-evolve/mutated Charleston? All you'd need is flapper-dresses, fedora hats and some illegal moonshine and BAM: you're back in the 20's.

oh, and illegal gambling...can't forget that ;)

Seriously though, i'm impartial really, but as for the alleged hype surrounding it, i guess each style of dance has its following: Break, Ballet, Belly, Tap, etc. It's the same with the shuffle.

However, whenever anyone mentions the Melbourne Shuffle, I automatically start singing that 3 stooges song:

Well me & my friends love Larry & Moe.
We love Curly's brother Shemp & his fat clone Joe.
It's such a delight to boogie and hustle.
Dancin' all night doing the Melbourne Shuffle....
We never miss a chance, to get up and dance;
doin' the Melbourne Shuffle...

:p just teasing :)

Last edited:
samadhi said:
Does anyone else think that it looks like some crazy-evolve/mutated Charleston? All you'd need is flapper-dresses, fedora hats and some illegal moonshine and BAM: you're back in the 20's.

Totally like the charleston! My sister's gf can do the charleston and it's really not that far removed.

I tried to shuffle a few times, but I'm uncoordinated and my calves cramped up, so I went back to bouncing up and down like a crazy person.