• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Weird freaky 'nightmares' after MDMA use

MarijNnl

Greenlighter
This happened to me the second time now and freaks me out, even making me want to stop using MDMA (although I still love the effects)... and I am quite aware this must sound pretty weird/fucked up

When I lay down, tired and ready to go to sleep 2 days after use, all is fine still... but once I get close to falling asleep I start getting these weird negative hallucinations that I can see, feel and hear... freaking me out quite a bit
its somewhat like a nightmare, but I am still awake when it happens, just on the edge of falling asleep

last night for example, it felt like a bird sat on my shoulder and I could in fact hear and feel its fladdering...
then I wake myself up again, and the hallucinations are away (to come back when I allmost fall asleep again)...

the other time this happend to me I was getting visuals of a guy looking for trouble, pushing me... which I could 'feel' also..

this must sound really strange to you, and it is, but I did experience this... even though I have used MDMA / LSD / ketamine many times without any negative experiences... I guess its related to very low serotonine levels, even though I havent used particulary large amounts of MDMA

I havent heard of this before, anyone experience something like this? what could I do to stop this from happening again (apart from not taking MDMA anymore)?

Strange. I always seem to sleep better after mdma use, not that i find it hard to sleep or anything, it just makes me more relaxed. I can't understand why it affects you this way though. Maybe you've been using it too often?

happens when you start doing e too much, has happened to me alot, TERRIFYING. I asked around and apparently my friends who use e a bit too much get the same thing. You may want to try cutting back your use? Or is this just after one time.

I sometimes get this.

Normaly the night after a sesh.. I'll just be going to sleep.. still awake but just my eyes closing naturally.. and I get this sudden moving image in my head of a face behind my head moving incredably fast with mouth wide open to eat my head.

I can hear the face traveling as its very fast.. and it seems as if the face is made out of sand.. just like the sand face in the film 'The Mummy'.. except smaller.

Quite scary and will happen 2-4 times before I finally get to sleep.. sometimes it just puts me off wanting to sleep that night.

It will go soon.. Normally after 3 days.. Also you shouldn't sesh on more than once every 2 weeks..
Do you also get little shocks in your brain.. when your serrotin levels are low and you feel a brain wave having to make a jump because the thingys in your brain that carry messages are damaged?

Keep it surreal
Ed

I have experienced something similar to this, although it wasn't entirely unpleasant (though it certainly had a haunting quality to it). I was just back from a rave one morning and was in that state when your just on the edge of sleep, and I found myself getting imagery from the rave the night before as well as hearing dance music. It was all very vivid, very real.

I don't think it has to do with over usage of ecstasy, because the experience in question was my first time using E in almost a year, and only my eigth time total. Since then I've experienced the same thing a number of times.

eDDe9 said:
I sometimes get this.

Normaly the night after a sesh.. I'll just be going to sleep.. still awake but just my eyes closing naturally.. and I get this sudden moving image in my head of a face behind my head moving incredably fast with mouth wide open to eat my head.

I can hear the face traveling as its very fast.. and it seems as if the face is made out of sand.. just like the sand face in the film 'The Mummy'.. except smaller.

Quite scary and will happen 2-4 times before I finally get to sleep.. sometimes it just puts me off wanting to sleep that night.

It will go soon.. Normally after 3 days.. Also you shouldn't sesh on more than once every 2 weeks..
Do you also get little shocks in your brain.. when your serrotin levels are low and you feel a brain wave having to make a jump because the thingys in your brain that carry messages are damaged?

thanks for the reply! seems that I am not the only one having this then... its quite freaky eh isnt it? the shocks I had too and a bit more often (not too often, I usually dont take that much), but even though they suck as well, they're not nearly as bad as these weird hallucinations/nightmares

last time I only had it 1 night though, hopefully tonight Ill be able to fall sleep normally again as well.. Ill keep you posted

I've also experienced this. It actually happened after my first time--which involved a couple of fairly high doses of pure powder---way back in the Days of Old.

IIRC, it was most prominent the second night after dropping. Lying on a couch in a sort of half-sleep, still worn-out from the intense E-trip and light/erratic sleep of the previous night. I'd slip under and suddenly get very vivid, very bizarre and frightening visions accompanied by a sensation of falling, or more accurately, being pulled downward by heavier gravity.

Then I'd be jarred back awake, heart racing, forehead dappled with cold sweat, feeling disoriented and promising myself I'd never take ecstasy again. Replay from beginning.

It got better, though, day by day. And I broke my promise, of course.

Yea got this shit after a recenty 3 day festival e binge. Scary 'precence' around my room/face, twisted images etc. also loud cracking noises as i was trying to get to sleep. pretty intense, but i just rode it out and wrote it off to the comedown.

Were you using 5-htp? I find it has a profound effect on the frequency and vividy of my dreams.

After/while binging on MDMA, I always get into these very deep sleeps where it's just the most unusual dreams. Almost all these dreams are nightmares (maybe not so bad but have a negative effect), and I always wake up before I finish the dream.. which pisses me off because it's like a fucked up movie.

oh my god its not just me.... okay so 2 nights ago was my 9th time in 30 days.. a couple nights before that i was playing midnight club 3 while rolling for a while

2 nights ago i was about to fall asleep and i would close my eyes and i would be IN the game.... i would be playing at the hood veiw and i could see the game, hear the car, hear the music.... it was crazy

for up to 3 weeks after i roll, i get some very intense dreams.
i wake up and it almost seems as if it actually happened to me.
also i notice i have a very deep uninterupted sleep.
I LOVE IT!
i enjoy my roll and after it i know im going to enjoy it for up to another 3 weeks.

for me its a good thing i dont have the desire to roll for up to about 6-8 weeks cause it keeps me satisfied, so all my rolls are well spaced out.

Ive had the exact same thing happening to me the last couple of times ive had mdma.

The first time I was just lying there dosing in and out of sleep then everytime I thought I was falling asleep id wake up again cos id have this weird fucked up dream. I kept on having this recurring thought of someone holding me down and I couldn’t breathe, I couldn’t move and I just remember waking up scarred shittless every time.

The last time it happened I had a dream that I was scratching my eyes out and I couldn’t stop. I just forced myself to stay awake so it didn’t come back.

Its fucked up. Ive never had anything like this happen before I don’t even usually remember my dreams. Ive never done any hallucinates or anything to make me see shit. So I think it must have something to do with mdma. I really have no idea but hopefully it goes away.

Happens to me also.. except .. doesnt really happen after mdma use .. just every 2nd/3rd day it happens without fail... except within the dream.. i can like control the entire 'dream' to a certain extent... can be quite amusing.. but when these "dreams/nightmares" happen up to 15 times in a night... it gets quite frustrating.. even after a while of this happening.. i get to the stage.. where i know its happening.. it starts... i realise.. I open my eyes.. it stops.. repeat 5-10times a night :\

i think a lot of people get the same things. i've experienced sleep paralysis a few days after rolling which is some seriously frightening shit. it certainly does have something to do with fluctuating serotonin levels; if it's a problem for you, try rolling less often. i've even experienced hallucinations while falling asleep many weeks after my last roll after dosing 300mg 5-HTP. so i think you're definitely not alone, just try not to worry about it and do what's best for your brain.

scary dreams!!

i was on the chingers just bout every weekend until i started getting nightmares aswell... it always happened about 2-3 days after a big weekend. as i was dozing off it felt like someone was pushing down and holding me down. i would try so hard to wake myself up bt i cudnt. it was scary as!! eventually i cud wake myself up but as i was falling asleep again it would happen again.
ive slowed down a bit now and dont get it ne more. i miss that great pill feeling!! so i have a few weeks off and get rite bak on it again! =D

Wow, I guess you learn something new everyday. I am a new E user, and hadn't had any thing like this happen to me. It makes me want to re-think how often I use it....but man its good lol.

Have you considered the posibilty of them being hypnagogic hallucinations? these can be auditory, visual or tactile and they are experienced on the verge of sleep. they're often accompanyied by an extreme sense of fear.

the first time it happened to me i was so freaked out because i saw this figure sitting on the edge of my bed and she was saying my name. i thought my room was haunted or something because it just seemed so real.

but i soon learned i was just experiencing these hypnagogic and, sometimes, hypnapompic (occur as your waking up) hallucinations.

Was gettin these b4 using drugs but also getting a shitload after I did shrooms and usually in the days to follow after x.

Sometimes it helps if you avoid falling asleep on your back... I dont know exactly why but its been proven and I've noticed I only seem to get them when I have fallen asleep on my back...

Serotoner said:
Have you considered the posibilty of them being hypnagogic hallucinations? these can be auditory, visual or tactile and they are experienced on the verge of sleep. they're often accompanyied by an extreme sense of fear.

I have looked up the term at wiki, and that indeed seems to be what I experienced, thanks

yesterday I fell asleep peacefully after I had this feeling of someone picking me up from the ground
all these times however, I have layed down facing down

anyway, good to know what it is... in fact I think its quite interesting

doesnt really sounds what happens to me..
and i always sleep on my side D:
i actually dream.. and am able to control it to a certain extent.. perhaps its different... to what others are expereincing or perhaps more servre(sp?)

hey guys have you all heard that seratonin depleation also fucks up your sleep as well as mood,could have something to do with it,maybe brains trying to get back to normall function after heavy partying