• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Intravenous Nicotine

^^^I think the issue with nicotine's safety is the therapeutic index, i.e., a toxic dose is merely several times a recreational one. And when you're not sure what exactly the optimal recreational dose is, then you could be straying dangerously close to poisoning yourself. I'm sure in those experiments on people, they had anticholinergic drugs on hand in case anybody OD'ed.

I once knew someone that apparently performed this, but it was soaking an old soggy supposedly PCP-oil soaked cigarette in some water, then using a micronfilter to draw up the water. She said the effects were nearly psychedelic however she gets a full trip off 300micrograms of DOC.

GHB also has a narrow therapeutic window and toxicity can rapidly develop with small increases in the dosage, yet people still use it recreationally!

Splatt said:
I once knew someone that apparently performed this, but it was soaking an old soggy supposedly PCP-oil soaked cigarette in some water, then using a micronfilter to draw up the water. She said the effects were nearly psychedelic however she gets a full trip off 300micrograms of DOC.

Injecting tobacco-soaked water is very dangerous and quite stupid. A lot of the toxic substances contained in tobacco are water soluble and cannot be removed with a micron filter.

^ lol. no one ever said it was smart, but I guess someone had to condemn it.

Sounds pretty dangerous!

I read a lot of things bout intravenous administration of Nicotine, and it is really amazing...
Once you're addicted to the Nicotine, the pleasure it brings seems to be the same than the pleasure you get when you prepare a shot or roll a shot...

I definitely want to try it...
The available Nicotine for people who want to stop comes as patches or tabs or gums. The gums varies from 1mg (sublingual tablet) to 21mg/24h (patch).
I will try to shoot 10 MICROgrams, then 20, then 50, etc....

From what I've read, Nicotine seems to be a wonderful substance, with many many good effects, the only downsides are the addictivness and the OD risk...
But it's nowhere near as dangerous as tobacco, which contains lots of other stuff...

And yeah, as somebody said above, injecting Nicotine with Opiates or Coke increases the pleasure.
That's what I want.

why not just sample a nicotinic receptor agonist to enable judging as to the potential merits or lack thereof from IV admin?

I just read that nicotine from cigarettes that is absorbed through the lungs takes only 10-19 seconds for the drug to reach the brain; faster than an intravenous injection of nicotine.

Benowitz NL. Nicotine pharmacology and addiction. In: Benowitz NL, editor. Nicotine safety and toxicity. New York (NY): Oxford University Press; 1998. p. 3-16.

I read somewhere that they did a study where they gave IV coke users who smoked shots of coke or nicotine and they couldn't tell the difference.

I imagine you could chop up a nicotine patch, or open one of those nicotine inhalers, soak it in some water, and try sampling tiny shots of that.

jasoncrest said:
From what I've read, Nicotine seems to be a wonderful substance, with many many good effects, the only downsides are the addictivness and the OD risk...
But it's nowhere near as dangerous as tobacco, which contains lots of other stuff...

From wikipedia:
"The LD50 of nicotine is 50 mg/kg for rats and 3 mg/kg for mice. 40–60 mg can be a lethal dosage for adult human beings. This makes it an extremely deadly poison. It is more toxic than many other alkaloids such as cocaine, which has a lethal dose of 1000mg."

from http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/NI/nicotine.html :
The LD50 for intraveneous administration of nicotine in mice is 0.8 mg/kg.

What this suggests to me is that IV nicotine administration is 4 times more toxic than oral administration.

Regardless...

Nicotine is an extremely deadly poison. Only inject nicotine if you are willing to accept the (very real) risk of accidentally killing yourself.

*sigh* I posted in another thread that I don't trust any member of the nightshade family. You'd better have a good life insurance policy if you want to try something this stupid.

small amounts of nicotine are present in tomatos but i know what u mean.

Almost all of the members of the nightshade family are poisonous. To include anything that has the word 'nightshade' in it, potatoes, tomatoes, tobacco, datura, henbane, etc.

I bought a Nicotin inhalor, and instead of shooting Bupe with Nicotine, I tried to shoot Bupe, and then huff Nicotine from the inhalator...
It definitely increases the pleasure, but it doesn't increase the high (anyway I get no high from Bupe); with Nicotine I felt better...

While it is effective, in my opinion it is not worth the price of Nicotine (being an inhalor, a patch, a gum or a cig....)

bob123 said:
shoot the shit and then tell us how it went

I won't try it, sorry...
I would be very happy if someone would like to try it for me...

I experienced the potentiation of Buprenorphine by huffing Nicotine from a Nicotine inhalor (inhalator?) just after shooting Bupe; when doing that, both substances make their effects exactly at the same time...
So I experienced what I wanted to experiment, no need to try shooting Nicotine, which could be dangerous...

Anyway:
-When someone is addicted to Opiates and take his Opiate just to feel normal, but still feel the little pleasure it causes, the pleasure of relief I think, (something linked to Dopamine in the N. Accumbens?); taking Nicotine with his Opiate (smoked while shooting the Opiate or maybe shooting it with the Opiate...), increases this little pleasure, it's not an increased high, just a little pleasure....

bob123 said:
shoot the shit and then tell us how it went

sigh. Here how about this, you try that shit and tell us how it went. I'll even help you out by writing your obituary for you.

Nicotine is active IV. Dunno that there would be much point to it?

"...The first modern scientific evidence for this conclusion appeared in the English medical journal Lancet in 1942. Dr. Lennox Johnston there reported that he had given small injections of nicotine solution to 35 volunteers, including himself. "Smokers almost invariably thought the sensation pleasant," Dr. Johnston declared, "and, given an adequate dose, were disinclined to smoke for a time thereafter.... After a course of 80 injections of nicotine, an injection was preferred to a cigarette." If the nicotine injections were abruptly discontinued, craving arose. Dr. Johnston found that in satisfying this craving, one milligram of injected nicotine was roughly the equivalent of smoking one cigarette. He concluded that "smoking tobacco is essentially a means of administering nicotine, just as smoking opium is a means of administering morphine."

Lennox M. Johnston, "Tobacco Smoking and Nicotine," Lancet, 243 (December 19, 1942): 742.