Not open for further replies.

doobiesnax

Bluelighter
hey everyone
i was wondering what types of jobs everyone has, and other information as to:
did you have to take a UA?
what does your job pay?
is the job really worth it?
is there any future in "climbing the corperate ladder of the job like promotions"?
and any other specifications about the job?

currently im 18, living with my parents, have only had one job in my life [ that didnt require UAs and im going to play kiss ass and ask for my job back in the morning] i quit smoking weed for a month and took some sonne7 shit in the beginning of the month to get a good job, but still failed the UA, and i really really need a job so im looking for ideas and suggestions on what type of job i should go for/what other bluelighters have as jobs to go for reference off of "ooh this person has this job and is similar to me, maybe i could try this"

any suggestions/help is greatly appriciated.

i do as much freelance stuff as i can.

im employed by several artists/craftsmen, and do work on an as-needed basis.

im getting tired of it, i love art, but it might have to wait at this point in my life.

i get b/w 7-10 an hour, depending on who i work for, but i live with my parents so i have no bills.

i suggest looking for jobs through people you know. use your family and friends, they are your life-line. use all your connections to find work, theres plenty to be done.

i am considering being an EMT, which only requires a high school diploma in most states, i dont know if you could handle blood or whatever, but its a suggestion.

im 18 too

I'm an interactive designer at an entertainment company

did you have to take a UA? no, i never have for work
what does your job pay? it pays pretty well but if i was at another company i would not be making as much
is the job really worth it? sometimes i wonder if it is, but i think everyone has those moments.
is there any future in "climbing the corperate ladder of the job like promotions"? could become an art or creative director but i'm not ready for that yet
and any other specifications about the job? this isn't a field to enter if you don't have the desire or talent. formal education isn't necessary but you would need a good portfolio to make up for it. basic design skills would be needed for internships to get your foot in the door.

i forgot to mention im pretty good at artisitic stuff, im very good at drawing is what im told.
i dont have a ged or highschool diploma, and going back to school is highly out of the quesiton, as i feel im far too .....stupid.....to go back... i dont remember much of anything..
and i know i cant pass a ged test...

thanks for the quick reply wesmdow, and blood doesnt bother me, but i cant get a hsd or ged because of my lack of intelligence....

...and for those whoed care to make fun of my lack of self esteem or intellect... hell, atleast im admitting im not very smart and not acting like some knowitall asshole.

ive been wanting to get into the artistic painting scene.
downtown in some galleries here i have to take some of my work there and ask if theyd like to display my work for sale, and instead of wanting $350 for something that has maybe a $10 paint set used in it, i thought id like to just make many many paintings and charge small amounts [as i dont think theyre worth much anyways] like 25-50$ per painting, and maybe if i sell alot or art for a small amount of money i could make a profit and make money instead of making few paintings for alot of money.
...and i dont mean making paintings that arentof good quality, i try my best at everything i create.
...if its going to have my name or handle on it, i dont want it being a piece of shit. ya know?

:edit: i took too long to post as im drinking beer right now and didnt know chrissie posted as well as wesmdow.
what is an interactive designer? and what does one do?
designer sounds awesome to me, but id assume id need some type of education or immaculate portfolio to get a job there.
ive been told im good at drawing/painting, jsut...i dont think i am...as i think everything i make is "similar" to everything ive seen.
nothing...like... "completely new"... alot of my stuff is similar to alex grey or jhonen vasquez, and as much as i like hearing that, id much rather hear "wow thats unlike anything ive ever seen before"...like im making something new instead of "wow that looks like..."
so im not sure if anything in any portfolio ive made would be anything to sway any executivein some company to wanting to hire me on the team.

Last edited:
The art world is very snobby. I've been to several galleries and know quite a few people in the scene, you won't get a show unless you're "someone". You may want to approach an art group who holds shows often and see if you can get a few pieces in their show, makes it alot easier to break into it.

Selling art is a very tough way to make money, even the infinitely talented art students I know have a hard time selling their work. You may want to consider tatoo artistry, or custom automotive design. Both will require a portfolio and training but it's a steady paycheck where all you need to do is be talented, Mensa level mind not needed.

Just something to consider:

Getting a two-year degree from a community college is very easy and could really help your future prospects. Trust me, some of the people I've seen leave school with an Associates Degree proves that you don't have to be smart to get one. It's ALL about putting in the effort to passing.

id love to go to any college, but because of previous problems/ stereotyping of myself by police and teachers i couldnt finish highschool, and i dont have the intellect to get a GED.

ive had a few people tell me i should go to the local tattoo parlors and ask to get an apprinticeship, but sadly, im very very critical of my work, and dont think anything i make is good, and im not sure if i could handle the rejection well...
so i want to go to the parlors n show them my portfolio [which is really just a folder with drawings ive done in it] but none of them are entirely original, theyre all based off of things ive seen and tweked the designs or not even changed them, and ive just redrawn the same thing just for practice.

i want to go to the tattoo parlors, but im not sure how i could handle the rejection...its pathetic in a way, but i dont deal well with rejection... and i dont think anything i do is good enough, so i cant get over the fear and just go do it and see what happens.
...i should grow up and get over my fears.....

youre obviously intelligent enough to pass the GED.

one of the questions was literally, "in which country was the vietnam war fought?"

--that comes directly from a friend who got his GED.

your ability to write coherent sentences says a lot about your general intelligence. confidence and dedication are another matter.

the art world IS snobby, and you have to have connections. do you know any self supporting artists? this is how i make my living now, so if you need any advice you can pm me or aim me: wesmdow.

it isnt THAT hard. you obviously have confidence issues you need to adress.

another route you can take is to learn a skill:

welding
automechanics
plumbing
electrician
carpentry
...the list goes on.

you can take an apprenticeship with no more than a GED (you CAN do it!) and learn 1 on 1 from a real person whos been in the business for years and knows the ropes.

if you want to lead a blue-collar life, this is probably the best advice ive heard, as i have a few friends who live this way.

you could also join the military, if thats your thing. it might help your confidence?

my last advice to you here, is NOT to sell drugs for a living, or even consider it. its far too much work, and far too dangerous for the short-term advantages. even though you havent mentioned it (that i read) i figure i should throw that out there: DONT TRY TO BE A DEALER!!!!!

good luck

^^nice post

original poster

i work for cc company in collection of delinquent accounts

yes i had to take a u/a

my job pays about 33k b4 incentives

it is absolutely *not* worth it but i dont know what i want to do with my life

yes there is definitely an opportunity for career development w/ the company... if you have no soul to speak of;)

you need to get your GED @ the minimum bruv... you're absolutely capable of doing so and you know it. take it easy on yourself.

I am a bartender extraordinare!!
did you have to take a UA? NO but some states do require a license
what does your job pay? $6.5/hr plus tips which when calculated hourly can be anywhere from $10(rarely is it this low)-$35/hr
is the job really worth it? right now it is SO worth it. I'm young, pretty, have a great personality--I work hard and fast, and most importantly I know how to mix! I love meeting new people and the money is too hard to beat in a 9-5 job. I only work weekends and make ~$3,000-$5,000/mo. I have M-Th OFF FREE AND CLEAR!!! the only problem is all the good parties are on the weekends :( I miss some time with my friends but then its always a party at the bar!
is there any future in "climbing the corperate ladder of the job like promotions"? uh...no not really at the bar that I work at. But eventually (1-2 yrs) I will almost definately buy my own bar.
and any other specifications about the job? Its not for everyone-you have to have the right personality, but if you think you do I would totally go for it. Its tons of fun and the BEST job to have while you go to school. This is definately not something I want to be doing for the rest of my life.

^^^ I just read that you're 18. I know most states you have to be 21 to get behind the bar BUT in WI its 18 :) :)

I've had 2 contract positions since quitting my job as a litigation legal secretary last October. I have an AA and most of a BA, which I will finish when I have the time. The first was covering someone's maternity leave in pension and benefits law. The current (going on 14 weeks when it was intended to last 4) is working for one of the in-house attorneys in a Fortune 500 financial services company. I don't especially like it and the contract is open-ended, so I'll be back to permanent employment soon.

I could technically practice as a paralegal, but I choose not to because I'm not confident enough just yet.

Fuck no, no one in my field has to (how many coked out lawyers do you know lol). But I did have to pass an 8-point background check for my current position because I work with sensitive and highly confidential info.

what does your job pay?

I won't give out an exact salary, but I'm paid more than most of my friends who have college degrees. I make on the high end of what legal secretaries make with equivalent experience. And I'm at the level where no one would dare ask me to make coffee or anything like that.

Not this one, but it's mostly because of the insecurity and the bureaucracy. I do like what I do career wise. Just haven't found the right place yet.

is there any future in "climbing the corperate ladder of the job like promotions"?

Not in this job, but in this field, DEFINITELY, and that's the one reason I stuck with it. When I finish my BA and practice as a paralegal I can probably pull $75-90K/year once I hit the 10 year mark.

You have to be willing to deal with lawyers, irate clients, and high-level professionals. It is extremely stressful and there are deadlines that could make your boss lose a case if you miss them. Personalities can interfere, and in large firms or companies if you go over someone's head (even accidentally) your ass is toast. You also have to have flawless grammar and be a very, very good proofreader.

I work as a computer tech at an architect firm, of course you would have to be skilled in all aspects of, maintenance, troubleshooting, and networking, as well as few other things. My job really isn't worth it to me besides the fact that it barely pays my bills, i make $10 an hour US at 30 hour weeks, that's $1200 per month before taxes. My job doesn't have any real way to 'climb the ladder' but i have other prospects for what i would really like to do with my life, so this job is only temporary. If you're planning on moving out i would suggest finding a job that pays your bills and leaves you some extra room for misc. expenses. And no i didn't have to take a UA, try finding a smallish company that seems well run (you dont want to lose your job because the company goes under), they shouldnt drug test. By the way i've worked at Best Buy before they randomly drug test even after you're hired, so be careful there. Some other good job considerations might be, ticket booth for an arena, or movie theatre. Convenience stores or restaurants are good places to work if you're considering that they don't have much room for financial growth, but on the upside is a very easy job, and the boss wont get mad if you sit there if the place is empty. And oh yea, you should look into getting one of those mail-order high school diplomas. I have one of those and it works like a champ, i dropped out in 9th grade and got that the same year, it allowed me to work at a couple places despite not being 18. The diploma is very easy to get, mine went like this: It cost $700 for 2 booklets they send you, one booklet has questions, and the other has answers (except the math part, i just got a family member to help). You have as much time as you would like to complete the test and when you finish all you do is send it back, and they send you a diploma in the mail a month or 2 later. Now you're officially a high school grad. =D

Last edited:
hey everyone
i was wondering what types of jobs everyone has, Full time life guard at college pool, part time at a church camp life guard (only in summer), and reading to a blind girl (only during school)
did you have to take a UA? A what? Certified? Sure...
what does your job pay? One pays 7.15/h, another pays 10/h another pays 4/h
is the job really worth it?Yes, they are all very gratifying
is there any future in "climbing the corperate ladder of the job like promotions"? probably not, unless you mean climbing the ladder to the chair, or climbing on top of the blind girl

no

My current job description is I suppose inhouse webdesign/general IT person.
I'm sorting out a new network for a small-medium size business (40+employees) and putting together a new website for them, 3 months into a 6 month contract I started off telemarketing! But a need occured and I have the skills to fill the gap.

UA:no
Wage:£960ish after tax and NI (US$1,769.70ish) Which is not bad as it is all mine!
Worth it?as a means to an end... yes. But I wouldn't want to do this for the rest of my life. I find it interesting but I know that one day I will get bored. I really want to get into fashion photography but that is a few years down the line on my road map (portfolio, training, networking, assisting and what not) The line of work I want to get into requires me to know a lot of the right people so it will take a long time but I'll get there!
Ladder Climbing:Not in my current job as its just a contract, but in the field sure. Management or real network administration has a decent career path but I wouldn't want to do it.
Other things:It is pretty dull at times but its not forever and noone in my office has a clue about it so noone ever bugs me about why something isn't done yet. To get a job in the field qualifications are needed. I have none that are IT related but I was in the right place at the right time.

I'm a cardiac physiologist at my local district hospital. That means I perform diagnostic tests on hearts to see how well they're doing and implant pacemakers/implantable defibrillators. The pay is £15,000 (after TAX) a year as I'm in training, up to about £27,000 after completing a 4 year honors degree in clinical physiology. I can move out of the field into the private sector for more money or climb the ladder to become a manager or something.

EDIT: I've never had a drug test for a job before as they're pretty rare in the UK.

System/Network Administrator

Did you have to take a UA?

Nope.

What does your job pay?

Around $50k p/a + 1.5M/256 ADSL + superannuation.

Is the job really worth it?

Yes and no, I'm at a level where I can't learn much more from the position I'm in and I need to look elsewhere for contract work/a higher position in another company. I doubt I'll find a workplace like this again, though. Very relaxed atmosphere, it would be my ideal job if it paid twice as much and was more challenging.

Is there any future in "climbing the corperate ladder of the job like promotions"?

Not here, perhaps elsewhere if I became a Engineer or Project Manager/Coordinator.

And any other specifications about the job?

Requires a fair bit of broad area knowledge in a lot of different technologies, I really need to certify for my next level Cisco before I can demand more $. You couldn't just walk into this position, you'd want to have at least a Network/System Administration background or a high level technical support background with system admin exp before considering this sort of role.

Last edited:
nanny

no, but i needed a background check, fairly extensive references and clean driving record. many familys want you to be non smoking and some require drug tests

what does your job pay?
right now, about $25-$30 an hour because i work for two families at the same time and each pays me a regular rate

if you like kids, yes. i spend my days going to museums, playing in parks and generally having fun. plus i get to travel alot.

no, but i am able to meet and network with people i would normally not have access to. i have some "ins" at various companies if i chose to pursue something else.

its not for everyone. you need to be extremely responsible and able to keep your private life private. the schedule is often crazy and dealing with parents will drive almost anyone insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.