• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA: What types of jobs do BLers have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
right now I have two jobs, my day job as an insurance agent and my night/weekend job as a buffet attendant

I got tested for the restaurant job, hair screen, but not the insurance job

right now I make 8/hour usd for the insurance and 7.5 for the restaurant . . . that's okay but I'm getting screwed on the insurance, I should be making at least 13 to 15 an hour, but the place I work the owner/boss is a cheap ass . . .

as far as moving up, not in the office, because of that above . . . I could move up bigtime if I were working for an actual company and/or had my own agency . . . in the restaurant, sure I could if I busted my ass for a while, its a corporation so I could at least make it to GM without a degree . . . but since I'm moving I'm gonna be getting into something else real soon . . .

I work as a programmer doing web applications in the public service.

did you have to take a UA? No

what does your job pay? About $60k p/year (AUS)

is the job really worth it? It's a nice holding job while I decide over the next few years what else I might do. Flexible hours and generally relaxed work environment make it so much better than working in private industry. It's also a very convenient job to have when you're partying hard, but those days are mostly behind me now. ;)

is there any future in "climbing the corperate ladder of the job like promotions"? Yeah but it takes a while. In government you generally have to wait for someone to die to get a promotion (not kidding).

and any other specifications about the job? I think you need a certain type of mindset to work in this sort of environment... it can be very boring at times.

I work as a technician in an academic research lab

did you have to take a UA?

No, academia's not into that shit.

what does your job pay?

$33,500/year. This is below what I should be making for two reasons: 1. I am one pay grade below what is justified by my level of experience, yet I still have all the responsibilities of the job title one step above mine 2. The institution I work at runs on its name (it is one of the top universities in the world) and screws over all its employees, including professors, with wages that are 15-20% below those of other good universities in my metro area.

is the job really worth it?

I dunno. At this point I'm locked in if I want to go to grad school next year, just for the sake of looking good in applications/interviews. I do way more technical and adminstrative tasks and less research than I did in my last technician job, so I'm beginning to wonder about how well it's really preparing me for grad school and furthering my career goals. The balance could change in the near future though, if I just gotta keep working on it. On the positive side, I like my coworkers and the general interpersonal environment in my laboratory. Nobody gives me a hard time unless I deserve it, which is more than I can say for labs I worked in previously. If I was either paid more, or had a greater research component to the job, I'd be pretty satisfied. Hopefully I can work things so that one or both of those goals are attained.

is there any future in "climbing the corperate ladder of the job like promotions"?

Yeah, I could just keep working and climbing pay grades until I become a senior technician, but I don't want to be the bitch of grad students and postdocs on a long-term basis. This job is a means to an end for me, that end being graduate education at a better institution than I would have been able to get into without this additional experience.

What type of work do you do?

I did a search on this and found a thread from 2008-2009 so I thought I'd make a new one

I'm a visual merchandiser at Victoria's Secret

Whatcha guys do

I work at a desk.

I don't think you're going to get many people to be honest with ya in this thread, molly897. Too many people have posted about their drug habits and other questionable stuff to put personally identifiable material out there.

I changed the title to something a little more broad, maybe more people will respond.

BTW, I'm a teaching assistant at the university where I attend grad school.

Good change, Jerry. :)

In that regard, I work at a desk as a "general office clerk." It's only for the summer though, and then it's back to school so I never have to have a job like it again. :p

Emergency Room Nurse, in 4 years when I'm done medicine, likely emergency doc.

I work in a library :) It's the job of my dreams...unfortunately the budget here is really bad and I'm hoping I don't get cut. If I do I'll probably still volunteer there maybe 4 days a week. I just want to play with books and talk to people all day long forever.

I currently work in a school and hope to be working in a hospital within 18 months. Academic and medical careers: stable as fuck.

Academic and medical careers: stable as fuck.

what? even if i have a shot at academia i may leave because i can't mentally handle the idea of a decade moving from place to place every 2-3 years!!! i guess you mean teaching rather than research...

I manage between 10-14 people in a call center for security alarm systems and also work part time at a country club fixing their alarm systems when they go down. Boring work but pays pretty well so I can't complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.