• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

2012, the Complete Works

brayne said:
2012 has a *bit* more credibility than ordinary doomsday-theories...

says who and why?

basicly 2012 is another step in the evolution of planet earth

so is every other year. why is 2012 different?

I predict the future...

Is 2012 special because...

1)March 19 - Buddha Claimont: Ram Bahadur Bomjon who disappeared in 2006 is believed to return on this date (six years from his departure)?
2)May 19 - Saturday Night Live's contract expires?(oh noes!)
3)July 27 - Opening ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, United Kingdom?
4)October 18 - at 4:36 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time, the Earth will be home to 7 billion, according to the US Census Bureau?(wow how'd they come up with that)
5)December 31 - Expiration of the Kyoto Protocol?
6)By 2012, the USA government should guarantee full Health Insurance for all Americans, as urged by a non-partisan advisory panel created by Congress?(cool)
7)2012 is the target date for everyone in India to have access to a toilet, putting an end to defecation in public?:)D)
8 )This is the year when California's ban on the production of foie gras is scheduled to take effect?
9)100th Grey Cup?(OMG)
10)The 5-year production contract (made in 2006, announced in 2005) for American Idol, ends this year?(I can't wait)
11)The Olduvai cliff will begin and permanent blackouts will occur worldwide, according to "The Peak of World Oil Production and the Road To The Olduvai Gorge" by Richard C. Duncan?(z0mg)
12)It is claimed that unnamed Tibetan monks specializing in remote viewing predict that divine extra-terrestrials will intervene at a point where the world's governments are about to deploy weapons of mass destruction. Adding to this, the Tibetan Monks say that the world is not ready to be destroyed and that our Earth is blessed and being saved continuously from all kinds of hazards of which mankind is not even aware?(...)
13)The Prophecy of the Popes, attributed to Saint Malachy, speculated that Pope Benedict XVI would reign during the beginning of the tribulation of which Jesus spoke, and sometime later a future pope described in the prophecy as "Peter the Roman", the last in this prophetic list, would appear, bringing as a result the destruction of the city of Rome and the Last Judgement(If he lasts that long)
14)Terence McKenna's Novelty Theory, based on a mathematical interpretation of human events, predicts a point of singularity in which humankind will go through a great shift in consciousness?(SICK)
15)A hidden code found within the Torah through the computation of equidistant letters sequences shows signs of a comet within this year producing one of two outcomes: Either hitting and destroying the Earth, or crumbling into pieces. The two codes are found very close to each other within the Torah, and through the use of mathematical shortcut matrices, can be pieced together accordingly. These two statements are, "Comet...5772 [2012 according to the Gregorian calendar]...Earth Annihilated" and "Comet...It Will Be Crumbled, I Will Tear It To Pieces...5772 [2012 according to the Gregorian calendar]."?(SICK x2)
16)The supposed time traveller John Titor predicts some unusual events in 2012, but nothing like the end of the world : his comments are more about something like the Red Sea passage?(fav)
17)In The X-Files, aliens are expected to invade Earth on December 22 and take over the world?

Wikipedia. More fun than you bargained for.

Church said:
Well without reading too much into it, there is an astrological event occuring on winter solstice of 2012 (according to the mayan timekeepers, anyway)... precession of the equinoxes. Happens every 26,000 years or so.

The equinoxes are always precessing. It's not an event that "happens" at some particular time, it's a process that's always happening. Just like the Earth turning. You wouldn't say that the Earth's rotation "happens" at 3 pm, and similarly you don't say that the precession of the equinoxes happens in 2006 or 2012 or any other date.

"Precession of the equinoxes" just means that the North Pole doesn't always point towards the same spot on the sky, it moves around very very slowly. Right now it points at the current 'North Star', Polaris. In 12,000 years the North Pole will be aimed towards the star Vega instead. In another 14,000 years after that it will have moved back to Polaris again.

---

Why people give a shit about random dates on one of the old Mayan calendar systems is beyond me. the whole frenzy is because in 2012 CE the classical Mayan calendar year will hit the equivalent of our year 1000. (Depending on which scholar's calendar reconstruction you use; others have it in like 2002 or something.) Being obsessed about the year 1000 was dumb when it was our calendar and it's even dumber when it's someone else's. And God only knows why crazy New Age types fixate on the classical Mayans and not the Greeks or Egyptions or what have you.

^ Yeah, it's like, big deal that we celebrate our birthdays, because we're ALWAYS getting older with each passing second anyway. I mean, why not just celebrate birthdays every day, even though there is a specific date and time that certain cycles complete themselves?

2012 is the end of the mayan calendar.
A calendar which was pre-dated around 10000 years (dont quote me on that) but only post dated till 2012. Why would one of the worlds most advanced races do such a curious thing?

punktuality said:
2012 is the end of the mayan calendar.
A calendar which was pre-dated around 10000 years (dont quote me on that) but only post dated till 2012. Why would one of the worlds most advanced races do such a curious thing?
Because the Mayans couldn't count for shit.

The world cannot end for no reason without a catastrophic event....and the likelyhood of such an event occuring anywhere near 2012 is extremely rare

^ You know the Mayan society lived with three different calendars simultaneously: solar, lunar and astral.

This alone is one thing our civilisation can't even dream of utilising.

shvender hoot said:
Because the Mayans couldn't count for shit.

The world cannot end for no reason without a catastrophic event....and the likelyhood of such an event occuring anywhere near 2012 is extremely rare
try not to judge what you don't know anything about please thanks :)

michael said:
says who and why?

so is every other year. why is 2012 different?
watch the video

the guy explains about the secrets of the mayan calendar...

there calendars got a certain system in it that enabled them to predict the future and to describe evolutions in the past, and the knowledge of western science confirmed that their descriptions of the past are correct...

i don't know exactly what they predicted about 2012 i should watch the whole video..; =D

Terence mckenna also found "proof" about 2012 which was called timewave zero.
for more information read this -> http://www.alternativeculture.com/spirit/timewave.htm

The Mayan calendar is cyclic. It doesn't "end", any more than history ends at each sunset.

I don't know about 2012 being the end of earth as we know it now. But i have a gut feeling i might live to see some some of the most destructive man made/natural disasters that we know humans have seen...and yes i think its a possibility that the human race may become extinct/nearly extinct, in my lifetime..or not too long after. I use to believe the mayan calander growing up and shit.. but honestly i don't believe anything unless i experience it myself.. it may be right, who knows.. we will know when 2012 hits.. i have my doubts about it though.

brayne said:
i did a search and read some stuff, but didn't find exactly what it is what you want me to read. can you point your finger to where i have to look please :|
Stuff like "The magnetic field for the planet will collapse in 2012" or "A skygate will open to the 5th dimension" or that zero point rubbush you just mentioned. The link talks about 'fractal time' which means nothing. You say he found proof. The guy says
The theory of Timewave Zero was revealed to Terence by an alien intelligence following a bizarre, quasi-psychedelic experiment conducted in the Amazon jungle in Colombia in 1971.
Wow, with credability like that, why isn't the scientific community falling over itself to talk to him 8) :\

Church said:
^ Yeah, it's like, big deal that we celebrate our birthdays, because we're ALWAYS getting older with each passing second anyway. I mean, why not just celebrate birthdays every day, even though there is a specific date and time that certain cycles complete themselves?
True. As you say, there's no metaphysical significance to celebrating our birthdays on any specific day -- in fact, if you were Hebrew or Muslim, you'd celebrate your birthday on a somewhat different day. (They use primarily lunar rather than primarily solar calendars.)

However, it's even worse than that. You were born on a specific day. So there's a vague symbolic rationale, at least, for celebrating a birthday later when it's the same time of year. The Earth wasn't formed when the North star was in a specific position (it took the Earth a long time to form, much longer than the 10^4 yr timescale of the precession) so there's no sense in which any position of the North Pole is like it was at the 'beginning'.

Now I have no idea how this particular error (the precession of the equinoxes 'happening' in 2012) cropped up -- if you care to provide a reference to where you heard this, I could check it out. But gold to gumdrops it's just something that some New Ager, with more drugs than neurons in his brain, simply made up, because talking about natural cycles and stuff makes him feel all, like, groovy, man. :D

Actually, I think in much older days, at least in northern climates, people mainly celebrated the coming of spring, because that meant you survived another winter ;)

didn't the mayans predict governor arnie's death for a few months back?

Honestly, the Myans werent really THAT advanced.

Like they had a really neat and sophisticated callander, intricate art work, pyramids, religion, and even a primitive form of basket ball, but all in all they were basicly like every bloated dogmatic aristocratic slave-driving civilization, not disimilar to the Egypt or Greece. They were actualy a really savage people with a horribly oppressed populace. (I went to the pyramids in Costa Maya and the area where the pyramids are apparenly only made up 10% of the area occupyed by them, and the rest were slaves. Infact, even 90% of the space inside the city dwellings were purely for personal assistants, and anything non-slave was several feet above anything else.)

Out of all the stuff they made, the only thing of any real significance was the adding of a place-holder (0) to mathematics and, which allows for cyclic counting and things like multiplication, and large numbers that dont take up tons of space.