• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ [DXM Subthread] Extraction

Maybe someone can help me.

I tried to do an extraction today with Robitussin DX. which is the most powerful cough syrup you can get here in austrailia (im pretty sure) with 600mg of DXM in 200ml.

I happen to walk past a shelf at a hardware store that had a product used for pre prepping floors for painting or something. whatever it was it had 20g/L Ammonia. I then got to the step of adding the solvent (I used Shellite) and got the 2 layers sepperated nicely with a minimal amount of whitish foam between layers, very little and i discarded that leaving just the see through layer.

when i tried to evaporate the solvent with a hairdryer i ended up with this thick whitish gel kinda which looked like frosted glass.

I made sure there was no ammonia/all the other crap in the solvent.

well i scraped up all that gel put it in a gel cap and swallowed it. Maybe it was a stupid idea but now 20 mins after, i am starting to fell the beggining of a normal dxm trip.

What am i doing wrong. I was expecting a freebase salt.

Solvents

There are typically other things in solvents from a hardware store, you should have used regular ammonia or even sodium hydroxide, sodium carbonate might work too but im not sure how good a base that would be. You dont want to use too much ammonia either, just enough to raise the pH to the point the HBr comes off the molecule, if i were doing this i would be very hesitant to use ammonia because of possible compounds that might form, without looking it up id rather use a sodium base, since youd get sodium bromide which is fairly harmless and will stay in the water.

If all you added was ammonia and then evaporated the solvent you do have dxm freebase, but i suspect there are other things in it from the chemicals, for example DCM i obtained once evaporated to a bright white fluffy compound that i was told is in it to enhance its legal uses as a floor cleaner or something, cant remember but the point is lots of things could be in what you just got as a result in that acid base, so unless you know the solvents were pure be very careful.

Foam is a bad thing, anything between the 2 layers is very very bad, and will sometimes prevent the acid base from working if the 2 layers dont contact each other. Its impossible to say what exactly you ended up with, but DXM freebase wouldnt be a crystal as far as i remember, i may be wrong but i dont think it would crystalize, so you would have some sort of waxy/fluffy solid.

Check what the solvents you used have in them by evaporating 50ml of each one and looking at the resultant residue. If there is a lot dont use them anymore.

I definitely checked the solvent. Completely evaporated leaving no residue and no smell ( maybe a tiny hint of smell on the verge of detectable).

I was hesitant to use ammonia in the first place (i have NaOH in my possesion) but all the extraction methods i found on the internet used ammonia. I just thought thats because its not a strong base and as you said it needs to just raise the pH enough.

What are the chances to overbasify if I use sodium hydroxide. Il prob try again tonight with say 100ml syrup + 100ml NaOH solution containing a teaspoon or so of NaOH.

thanks for the help.

oh yeah i got a very mild trip from that stuff i got last night. the equivalent of about 100-150mg. (I started with 300mg).

I just finished trying an extraction with NaOH.

I got the same result as with ammonia. A thick liquid. Only this time it was colourless and the 2 phases seperated nicely with no bubbles or anything between layers.

So it must be the solvent thats causing the problem. Im super fucked off because SWIM used the same solvent for a DMT extraction (where everything went normal untill..)and when he tried to evaporate the solvent to leave the crystals he ended up with a thick pale yellow liquid that would not evaporate any further.

Im gonna scrape that up put it into a capsule and see what happens. I dont have high hopes

For the austalians reading this DONT use Shellite i learned the hard way.

Just use NaOH. Yes, it's a stronger base, but that just means you need to use less and be more careful in your amounts. It seems that ammonia leaves a residue judging by the responses here, and I think NaOH, when used correctly, is safer anyway.

i scraped up all the thick liquid (not a lot of it about 1/4 of those small small capsules u can get) in the capsule was glucosamine. i only cleaned it roughly.

anyway i let the capsule sit for an hour and when i came back it was a waxy white solid which could easily be crushed into a powder. Maybe something to do with what was in the capsule or it just did what it was supposed to do and i didnt let it long enough.

Either way i got a very very mild trip. a bit better than with the ammonia extraction.

I have no problem with chugging down cough syrup and if i get shit results with trying to do an extraction why bother

microwaved sucrets

i've tried the sucrets microwaved in water separation a few times with pretty poor results. the sludge that's left behind after filtering can't be more than about 25% dxm according to the weight, and the amount of powder that it creates means about 35mg dxm per size 1 gelcap - which isn't much better than the commercially available gels. the buzz seems weaker and more drawn out as well. this tek isn't worth the time imho.

^^i always get at least 330mg if the starting material has 350mg in it.You probably didn't use multiple filters and filter more then once.

hey TM. i was using a pretty decent stack of filters and i rinsed with cold water after filtering like someone else suggested in this thread. it just seems like dxm is only a small part of the guck that falls out of solution when heated in water ... cuz i'm ending up with a LOT of material (someone else posted about this problem). got any tips for refining it?

I'm thinking you might be able to do an A/B extraction like you would with the syrup.Even if there is a lot of material after the extraction the same amount of DXM is present so further processing isn't really necessary and might decrease yields.

well the prob is that there is so much material that it makes the extraction pointless ... like i said im not getting much more dxm per cap than i would in the pre-made robo gels for about the same price.

I got annoyed thinking there was something in the store i could play with that i didnt have yet, so i went and bought some sucrets.

I didnt crush them you dont need to. If you use too little water you end up with a syrup that will clog your filter, so keep that in mind. Without those sugars i would have just refluxed that shit in 40ml water and then froze it, maybe anhydrous alcohol would work better i dont know, ethanol disolves the HBr form by 25%, IPA might not, it tends to disolve things less or not at all compared to lower alcohols.

I took 36 of them and put them into a 250ml polypropylene flask, this kind has a screw in cap so i sealed it up with water to the 200ml mark.

Then i shook it for a while then swirled it and let it sit, shaking every few minutes. At one point 20 minutes later the solution had become saturated with sugars and would not disolve any more of the solid things (i refuse to use the word lozenges). so i used a pipette and drew off the top water until most was out of it, mind you i SHOOK IT before this so that i was actually removing the dxm that had crashed out already as well.

I then added another quantity of water to fill the flask back to 250ml, closed and shook, swirled and waited. Eventually 20 more minutes later it all disolved, and i had a nice amount of precipitate crashed out, even in the warm water.

So i took both 250ml polypropylene flasks and put them in the freezer for exactly 20 minutes, this lowered the temp of the water itself down to around 40deg F, at which point most of the dxm crashed out. I then drew off the water very carefully from each one and put both amounts of water into 2 more separate 250ml PP flasks.

I then poured the precipitate water mix together, and used 10ml dh20 to wash the other flask out to get any dxm left, and poured that into the main flask with the rest in it.

I then allowed this to sit for a while and settle then drew off as much water as possible from the top without disturbing the precipitate at the bottom.

At this point i have around 10-15ccs of precipitate which sounds about right for the amount of DXM there should be, its not as dense as water (1g/ml), so im assuming i have at least 220mg of dxm there. Im probably wrong and i probably have closer to 320, i lost probably 50-100mg due to the water, 1.5mg/ml solubility is still a shitload if you use a lot of water, which is what were doing in this case.

A better solution would be to possibly uses these as a better starting point for an acid base extraction, since a large solution of them could be made, perhaps 100 of the solid things (notice no L word) in 300-500ml water or enough to disolve them etc, then basify and THEN filter using real glass fiber filter paper etc, wash with 30ml freezing cold dh20 and collect the precipitate from the filter and dry. One could then make a HCL salt out of this by either bubbling HCl gas through anhydrous alcohol which then would be used to disolve the freebase and then evap it, or by disolving the freebase in a dilute HCl solution perhaps 30ml of 5-10% HCl in water (10ml muriatic in 20ml water) and then evaporating it.

This is already something thats best done in large amounts at a time, you always lose something in a chemical proceedure, especially when something is actually soluble in the solution your using, even if its not much. I tried to use just enough water to form a totally saturated solution of sugars to disolve them all, but not so much that the dxm just disolved as well.

Last edited:
I use equal parts ammonia and cough syrup (dxm hbr-only or dxm hbr/guaifenessen) and a tenth of total of naphtha and lemon juice (kind used in tea). I generally use 8 oz Tussin DM containing 10mg/tspn because it's the easiest, cheapest, and largest preparation available to me. A good night's dosage in syrup is three to three and a half bottles for me, so I would use four for extraction purposes. I also use at least 80prf vodka--a 50ml bottle per head per night.

The only "equipment" I use is gallon-size ziplock bags, a 2-liter plastic bottle, a small gatorade bottle, a microwavable measuring cup, and clothes-pins.

1-Mix 16-ounces of ammonia and 16-ounces of tussin in 2-liter by shaking.
2-Add aprx 3.2-ounces of naphtha and shake vigorously until satisfied that the amount of naphtha has been distributed evenly within the ammount of ammonia/dxm (20 minutes perhaps).
3-Pour into ziplock bag, suspend bag by one of its top corners with clothes-pins over some sort of drain, allow to seperate into two distinct layers.
4-Drain bottom layer containing ammonia and unwanted syrup ingredients by clipping off a small piece of the bottom corner.
5-Make sure that ALL of the ammmonia has drained before catching the naphtha containing the dxm (requires minor sacrifice of content for safety) in gatorade bottle.
6-Pour equal or greater amount of lemon juice into gatorade bottle and shake vigorously, again until satisfied.
7-Pour into ziplock bag and allow to seperate just like the last seperation, except the bottom layer will contain dxm and the top will just be naphtha, so when draining, catch the bottom layer in your microwavable container tolerating accidental catching of naphtha (naphtha will be the first thing to go while microwaving).
8-Repeat 1-7 for additional bottles.
9-Microwave content under a watchful eye, not allowing spatter to avoid loss of dxm, stirring to prevent uneven boiling. Microwave until a small amount of dark brownish red syrup remains (this will be your "dxm-citrate").
10-Pour aprx 25ml of vodka (use your imagination with the remaining 25ml) into microwavable container to dissolve content and any remaining residue and pour back into the vodka's 50ml bottle for storage.

Now you've got a whole night's worth of readily drinkable DXM Elixir in less than 50ml. The citric acid and vodka seem to overpower the taste of the DXM completely, so go ahead and use your imagination with how to drink this. I would get a drink mixer and mix with orange juice, lemonade, and/or grapefruit juice w/ ice of course; grapefruit juice will inhibit the enzyme that metabolizes DXM, and vitamin c is good to reduce any stress factors in the trip. Drink the elixir over the course of 3-5 hours to achieve the best effects.

This process should take no more than two or three hours. Make sure to use only pure ammonia. Make sure the Naphtha will dissolve without residue. Make sure you don't smell ammonia or naphtha in any steps where they shouldn't be present, especially the final product. If there's any doubt, toss it out.

The reasons I prefer dosing this extraction are:
-Syrup tastes nasty no matter what kind you get.
-Gel caps seem to be designed to be rejected by your body in large amounts.
-Easy to find supplies and equipment.
-Seperates dxm from hbr.
-Sucrets are hard to find (assuming that they're worth using in the first place).
-No OTC preparation is designed for recreational dosages (even Zicam though it does seem better than the alternative OTC preparations).
-Most OTC preparations are designed against recreational dosages.
-Small volume.
-Bearable taste (sour).

Now my future goal is to mix this extraction with an LSA extraction.

ps
hello again to trip.more
trip doctor, you've got the fucking knowledge!

amor:

i tried your tek. everything went as you described, but about 4hrs after consuming the citrate i became violently ill and vomitted about 4 or 5 times. i also did not get the dxm high.

i handle high doses of robo gels fine with no nausea, so i don't think it's a tolerance issue.

the ammonia was additive free, the naptha was camp fuel but seemed to dry without residue, and the final product had no lingering smell from either product.

i mixed with 50ml gin (had no vodka) and drank with OJ over course of about an hour.

any ideas what went wrong? thx

Shit, I can't imagine anything other than the naphtha. I know that Zippo and and Ronson's have always worked for me. I suppose it could have something to do with the substitution of gin for vodka, but I doubt it.

I suspect that you didn't test for residue properly; fill the bottom of a somewhat large clear baking dish with the naphtha to get a good indication of any visible residue or any scent of it. I doubt that the naphtha, itself, could be your problem (as long as you boiled it the citrate fairly thoroughly), but any extra ingredients in the naphtha are a definite hazard.

Be very careful not to get any ammonia in the product. It's actually very easy to avoid this but impossible to remove (as far as I know) unless you perform another seperation, and it could be difficult to detect a small amount of it in your naphtha or citrate.

Photos of your process could possibly help to find the error. Fortunately I have no experience with toxic batches, so it's difficult for me to pinpoint your problem. Aprx how many miligrams were in it?

Last edited:
Do these look anything like what you came up with?

P1010180.JPG

rave_cocktail.JPG

I'd just like to add that if you are having trouble with the sucrets extraction, you might want to try a Theraflu Thin strips extraction.

It works much in the same way, and IMO works better.

Also, in the end you are left with DXM freebase, which IMO gives a better high, yet tolerance increases quickly with.

amor:
yeah the citrate looked exactly like the pics posted ... less tho ... maybe 15ml. i'll try using a different naptha like the ones you rec'd. it was a 250ml bottle w 750mg dxm, 'Equate' brand, dxm only medicinal ingredient.

dps:
thx i'll give it a try