View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ [DXM Subthread] Extraction

Stonee

Bluelighter
I happen to find a cough syrup which only contain DXM as the subtance without any other ingrediet.I want to extract to solid form instead of liquid only.
It contain 15ml of DXM with every 10ml in it.

Any suggestion as most of the erowid is using rotussin as example

Last edited:
Here is a link to a tutorial on how to do it:
Code:
http://www.dextroverse.org/extractions.html

haha i tried that one time it gave me a weird ass buzz diff from just drinkin it

Too much side effect on me when i drink it without using any extraction,vomit,keep runing to restroom etc :(

from DXM calculater I downloaded at dextroverse

Extracting DXM HBr from Sucrets lozenges

Sucrets lozenges are a good and very cheap source of DXM. They can be hard to find, though. When you do find them, you should be aware that they come in a blue bag, not in a tin (just as stated below). Each bag contains 20 lozenges with 15mg of DXM in each lozenge. In total, each bag contains 300mg of DXM. Here is a method on how to extract DXM from these lozenges.

To extract DXM from Sucrets is very simple. First of all, you must make sure that you have the kind of sucrets that are in the bag (they say dextromethrophan HBR) , and not the little tin. To extract, first you must crush up the sucrets (20 per bag) and put them in a cup or bowl of warm water. Then put the cup into the microwave, and continualy let it go for 1 minute intervals, stiring in-between, until the sucrets are totally dissolved. There should be a powdery looking substance on the bottom of the cup or bowl. This is the DXM, because DXM Hbr is not water soluble. From here, you can do 1 of 2 things.

-======================= [ Comment ] =======================-
(the following is not the author's words, just a revision)

Solubility for DXM HBr in water is 1.5g/100mL at 25 C

That means for every 100ml of water at room temperature, 1.5g of DXM HBr will dissolve in it.
-======================= [ Comment ] =======================-

1. Siphon the excess water out of the cup/bowl leaving the powder behind. Then take the (probably wet) powder from the cup and put it into a liquid (orange juice, etc..) and Drink UP!

2. Take the whole thing (water included) and dump it though a stack of coffee filters. Then take the coffee filters and put them on a plate, and microwave it till the coffee filters are dry. Then crunch up/scrape etc.. until the now dry DXM falls off the coffee filters. Now you can put the powder in empty caplets and swallow.

Woolah! you have pure DXM HBR

Note: This is not freebase, just the pure DXM Hbr powder.

Also, with the length of this it may seem a little complicated, but it is umbeliveably simple. Much much much easier than the acid-base extraction listed on the DXM FAQ.
Also, I don't know if he originally invented it, but credit for this process should go to Melph on #DXM, because he's the one who told me how to do it...

Zicam is by far your best best. get the ( Nite Concentrated Cough Mist Oral Cough Suppressant Spray ) one bottle of it is 540mg of DXM. its only .75 of an ounce so its 1/2 a standard shot. No ingredients that will affect you.

185597.jpg

Shit, I think I'm gonna try and find those Sucrets (I wanna try that extraction) or that Zicam cought mist. Hha shit that'd be nice.

Lately I've been eating a lot of Robogels, but if I could find Dexalone, Sucrets, or that mist I'd buy it.

Voodoochild870 said:
Shit, I think I'm gonna try and find those Sucrets (I wanna try that extraction) or that Zicam cought mist. Hha shit that'd be nice.

Lately I've been eating a lot of Robogels, but if I could find Dexalone, Sucrets, or that mist I'd buy it.

My friend bought dexalones back during NYE on a webpage. I'll ask him about the site.

is it normal for DXM to make you feel completely emotionless? I've never tried it again because I hated feeling so empty and cold.. Is there something past this to explore? Is there some benefit to this state?

KandyJill said:
My friend bought dexalones back during NYE on a webpage. I'll ask him about the site.

Oh I have plenty of sites to get Dexalone. It's just that it;s more convenient for me to drive 5 minutes away to a store to get 'em. Last time I went to this supermarket that had so many DXM products but I was only looking for the Robogels. I think I'll go there tonight and see if they got anything even better.

I thought I'd just bump this here. I stopped at the same supermarket I always go to for Robogels, and to my surprise, the Cough & Cold shelves were overflowing with Sucrets! So I bought 1 containing 18 lozenges (10mg of DXM in ea.) and then I just pocketed another 1 so it wouldn't look suspicious ;) These things were pretty cheap ($2.99)

So, now I have 36 lozenges and I'm gonna try to extract the DXM out of them. I'll post how it turns out.

Dxm

First for ^ you think pocketing something in a store is less suspicious than buying a drug they sell? :)

They make 15mg dxm hbr gelcaps, generic and brand name, most stores carry them, some may not but i have seen them everywhere for cough and i have a few of the diff bottles here right now. 10, 20, 30, even 40 gelcaps is nothing to take compared to screwing with cough syrup.

There are 20 of these things in a bottle so its really not that outragious to buy 2 bottles at a time, hell go back in 30 minutes to a different cashier even.

Ive purchased multiple packages of things that were far more suspicious, noone really cares in my experience, the cashier is tired and pissed at the store for making her work all the time and only wants to go home and pop some vicodin and drink a glass of wine so she can forget the asshole boyfriend who screwed her sister and......well back to dxm

-------------------------------------------------

For those of you who dont like DXM, the 2nd plateau is typically what people enjoy the most, but you have to go past the 1st to get there which isnt all that fun honestly.

Typically the 1st plateau is an intoxicating feeling, not too bad but not all that fun either, this plateau owes its activity primarily to the metabolite DXO, which is what most of <100mg will turn into in the body. DXO is an NMDA ligand, this is the receptor that produces the intoxicating effects.

The 2nd plateau is the saturation of NMDA receptors and the beginning of Pcp2 and Sigma1 receptor activity, from DXM itself. This is the stage most people shoot for and what most people enjoy. Its also not the easiest stage to hit, most people under or overshoot the mark and hate it afterward.

The 3rd plateau is dissociative just like ketamine or nitrous, feeling numb all over and having distant vision is common, some people feel this is a bad experience but in many cases people like it. If you know what ketamine dissociation feels like, this is fairly similar but somewhat different in cognitive effects.

The 4th plateau is full reality replacement, ive never done this with DXM but i have with ketamine hcl more than once, if you want to see what this plateau is like i have a trip report on BL from 2001 Here.

DXM is metabolised by the CY2D6 enzyme, it is O-demethylated into DXO, codeine follows this same path, turning into morphine by the same enzyme.

Having said that, i have been playing with the following idea: If one were to inhibit this enzyme you would probably get stage 2 effects from a lower dose, and totally skip and remove the first stage from the whole experience, at least for a while. Afterward metabolism would happen more slowly, though it WILL eventually turn into DXO at a slower rate, to a lesser effect and smaller impact.

I may try this and see what the advantages are, if i do i will post a real trip report in that section.

DXM powder

Also, extracting DXM from something isnt the best idea despite it being simple and popular. I would never use a non polar solvent on something i intended to injest, even with all the chem experience i have and org chem credit in college, i still dont trust myself when it comes to taking something i worked on, there are very few exceptions to that.

Im not sure its even worth the effort, DXM is not a scheduled drug, and despite its attention in the media it can be bought from a chem house, which one will be the line that divides "We dont sell things like that to private citizens" from "Which address should we ship it to?"

There are in fact chem houses that will sell nearly anything that doesnt require a license to ship, handle, or posses. In fact i wouldnt support a chemical company who decided for me which things i was competent enough to posess and use, regardless of the purpose, if its not a controlled substance its legal to own. That doesnt apply to pharmaceutical preparations, by the way.

TheTripDoctor said:
First for ^ you think pocketing something in a store is less suspicious than buying a drug they sell? :)

YEP :D I just have a problem with stealing shit. Ever since I was a kid I've been a little Kleptomaniac.

They make 15mg dxm hbr gelcaps, generic and brand name, most stores carry them, some may not but i have seen them everywhere for cough and i have a few of the diff bottles here right now. 10, 20, 30, even 40 gelcaps is nothing to take compared to screwing with cough syrup.

There are 20 of these things in a bottle so its really not that outragious to buy 2 bottles at a time, hell go back in 30 minutes to a different cashier even.

Ive purchased multiple packages of things that were far more suspicious, noone really cares in my experience, the cashier is tired and pissed at the store for making her work all the time and only wants to go home and pop some vicodin and drink a glass of wine so she can forget the asshole boyfriend who screwed her sister and......well back to dxm

I know about the robogels, I always buy those, but to me it just seems shady for an 18 year old who looks like a stoner to come into a supermarket at 11 at night just to buy 5 bottles of robogels. I just want to go in there ONCE, and not have to come back later just to get more. No big deal.

I have a question though. I just got done with the extraction, and it worked out good as far as I can tell, but the only thing is I'm left with a pretty big glob of pinkish shit, and I've spread it out on a plate to dry quicker. It sure as hell seems alot more than 360mgs though, but it's slowly drying and the dried part is turning white and can be crushed/chopped into a powder. I'm just checking to make sure I did this right, and that you're suppose to get a big glob of shit.

I mean, I know I got the right ones and that they're DXM only, so is all this shit the DXM or is there other non-active ingredients that aren't water soluable in there as well? Anyways, I'm gonna keep letting it air out and then putting some into capsules.

Yea i used to yank shit off the shelves all the time :) i know all about it

It depends on what you actually did, if you used a non polar solvent and formed a freebase, then used an acid to form dxm hcl etc, then you probably have nothing but DXM and perhaps a few colorings.

An acid base on something with a lot of crap in it can be difficult, but in general not everything will disolve in both water and a non polar solvent, and DXM is the only thing im aware of that has the ability to change solubility through its freebase etc, nothing else in cough syrup other than another drug, will do this.

It is possible there are sugars, fillers binders, other crap, that doesnt just separate from the dxm when you use a non polar solvent, its possible something is soluble in both and cant be gotten rid of.

Red means coloring, some of the chemicals used for coloring can in fact form salts with an acid or a freebase if that salt is stripped off. I dont know of any offhand but there not usually simple chemicals, especially flavorings, most flavors are complex organic molecules.

Post what you actually did and ill help, whats in the pills/lozenges as well?

OK well basically I did this simple extraction step-by-step http://www.dextroverse.org/txt/sucretextract1.txt

It's the same method some other guy posted earlier in this thread. Oh yeah, and obviously where it says "From here, you can do 1 of 2 things", I went to #2

Anyways, I did that method with 36 lozenges, and each lozenge contains:
active ingredients: Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide 10mg
inactive ingredients: corn syrup, FD&C Blue 1, flavors, menthol, purified water, sucrose, titanium dioxide

^straight from the package.

And that glob is very dried out right now and has been chopped into fine powder, but there's a lot of it...

Last edited:
Thats a fairly simple one actually, good idea i must say, anyhow most likely the flavor and color stuff remained on the dxm in some amount, unless you washed the filtrate with cold water after filtering (pour cold water over it in the filter).

Assuming that corn syrup and sucrose remain in solution for the most part, you have fairly pure dxm, the pink color is the coloring shit most likely.

As long as it dries to a solid and not a mass of crap like sugars usually do (and you probably dont have sugar in there), its perfectly good.

Sometimes drying something out looks like a mass of crap before it actually either crystalizes or the solvent (water in this case) becomes so scarce the powder becomes nearly anhydrous instead of mush.

Contact me on AIM if you have it, my name is below