• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ [DXM Subthread] Extraction

Hmm, Equate? That's another red flag for me. I'm sure that's not the problem, but I've only used Tussin and Robitussin.

The top one's just about 5-10ml of citrate, the bottom one's about 20ml of citrate dissolved in 25ml of 80prf vodka.

After reading about the naptha/ammonia/tussin method. I went out to get all the materials required to make some powder. I have been to 2 hardware stores + bunnings and also 2 supermarkets (woolworths/coles) and cannot anywhere find non-sudsy ammonia, unfortunately everywhere i have looked is the sudsy kind. Is there anywhere in Adelaide or any ideas for places which would carry the non sudsy kind, or even something else i can use with this extraction method?

To be quite honest, I have used the sudsy kind with success, however, I have found no other sources reporting this. In my personal oppinion, I shouldn't have done this without better knowledge of the chemical process and refuse to repeat it without obtaining that knowledge. Also, my degree of success is uncertain, as it was too long ago, and I hadn't recorded results properly.

Anyway, I have recently discovered the wonders of Zicam Max, and though it minimum amount of ingredients of my agent lemon, it seems to come too close to the minimum volume to disregegard the quality. It does, however unlike agent lemon, contain HBr, is the cause of some negative side-effects (itching, for one). It is difficult to pass up a readily available preparation that one can get excellent results with from one to two literal shots. I guess I'll have to compare and contrast.

All right.
Ive probably robo-tripped over 150+(being conservative) times by now.
tried it all.

naptha- dont do it. too much can go wrong and that shit tastes nasty.

lemon juice- ha

secrets extraction works great but why bother? why not just crush em up in a blender with some water(boil if ya want, but who cares) and pound it like an animal.

ive probably pocketed a good 50 or so bottles of robogels and about the same number of CCC packages, never felt guilty once, but when it comes down to it, if you have the money, just buy it. who cares what the Longs clerk thinks? she just want to get home and get that vicodin and a glass of wine anyway. doesnt matter what you look like.

robogels are you best way to go, but the pounding of the syrup gets some people off more than others. depends on who you are.

Cant forgot the DELSYM extraction. thats the easiest. mix with water(about 50/50), in a freezer bag. shake. let it sit for a while, an hour should be plenty, and by then therell be about a gram of pure DXM Polistyrex[NOT HBR, sorry!] takes twice as long to kick in, and twice as long to clear out. kinda like methadone as compared with heroin. poor analogy, but i hope someone gets it.

anyway, DXM supposedly causes Olney's Lesions, and liver damage, so go easier on it than i have. im crazy.

As an aside, it took me years to realize this, but when youre going to play, play safe or dont play at all.

See what works for you

Last edited:
You should use Delsym in conjunction with the seperation techniques listed here. A lot of people try to downplay dextromethorphan polistirex since it's extended-release, I guess they don't know that it's hard to find something that comes in a 5 oz. bottle (888mg dextromethorphan polistirex) that will send you to the third-plateau every single time, as well as take maybe an hour seperate using that extraction. I'd say go with Delsym; a lot of the seperation techniques for Robitussin and other OTC products are a little more dangerous and involve ingredients that can be hazardous to your health if done incorrectly. Peace.

I was definately wrong saying Dexalone instead of Delsym. thats what I meant..... if ya read my post youll understand. why else would I have mentionned Polistyrex? Oh, well. Simple Edit.

out of curiousity... is there another commercially viable form of DXM thats not HBR or Polistyrex? anyone?

No, you're only going to be sold HBr or polistirex. From what I've heard (not saying this is true), if you do the Agent Lemon technique, the dextromethorphan turns into the citrate form during the 'extraction.' Not sure if this idea is legit, though, more info is needed.

The main reason I prefer the polistirex form over the HBr form is because polistirex seems to lean more towards a 'true' dissociative, even at lower doses. With dextromethorphan HBr, the dissociation doesn't occur until after the second plateau (or at least for me and my friends) which causes people to 'chase' certain plateaus; with one 5 oz. bottle of Delsym extracted, I reach the middle third plateau every time (as long as I don't dose two days in a row, of course). A sweet spot for me was always a 5 oz. bottle and a 3 oz. bottle extracted together, resulting in somewhere around 1.15 grams of dextromethorphan polistirex after the seperation. That dose is a perfect fourth plateau dose for me (I weigh ~155 lbs) and after doing that for a while, I convinced myself I would never go back to dextromethorphan hydrobromide.

It's a shame that a lot of people try to downplay dextromethorphan polistirex. What happens is this, a person gets Delsym and drinks the whole bottle expecting a second plateau trip. Three hours later they're getting ran over by a middle-to-high third plateau trip. Sometimes this lasts for up to 24 hours. Lots of people get scared away when that happens. Just take it slow; for instance, if you're used to 500mg of DXM HBr, I'd only take around 280-300mg of DXM polistirex. If you take a gram of DXM polistirex, you're most likely going to be in for a long ride unless you're used to dissociative binges. If anyone needs more info about Delsym extractions (or any DXM extractions for that matter), feel free to PM me. Thanks.

Is the ratio of DXM to Polistirex better than DXM to HBr, by chance? As in, is there more actual DXM in Delsym than other HBr preparations? Or is it just the time release that makes it a better trip?

I've had Delsym before, and and it seems to me that a DXM HBr attack dose with DXM Polistirex follow-up doses would be the most beneficial; for example, two shots of Zicam or extract (about 700mg), followed by 300-600 mg of DXM Polistirex would be an excellent trip.

Fifteen milligrams DXM polistirex is supposedly equal to thirty milligrams of DXM hydrobromide, so I guess it's just more potent than HBr.

From my past experiences, Delsym does not mix well with alcohol (DXM itself doesn't mix well with alcohol except for lower doses) and the only times I've experimented with polistirex/hydrobromide combinations was with Delsym and Robitussin, not pure DXM powder, so I think that throws it all off a bit. But I can say that when I did mix Delsym and Robitussin, it was not a good thing. I tried it four times, each time was fairly negative.

If I do 8 oz. of Delsym, it's almost a perfect fourth plateau for me each and every time. With DXM HBr, it seems to be a lot more trickier to get to 'where you want to get', and also just feels a lot more taxing on the body (that's my personal opinion). DXM polistirex has a 'safer' feeling to me than DXM HBr, almost reminiscent of pharm-grade ketamine or PCP. DXM polistirex also seems to have more of an intense 'numbing' property than DXM HBr, especially the next day (generally during the 'afterglow').

A few times I've experimented with DXM polistirex for a few days in a row, and I noticed that it seems to take a lot longer to get out of your system than DXM HBr (mainly due to the extended-release mechanism of the polistirex), but it once got to a point where it felt like I was dissociated for more than three days after my final dose (DXM polistirex).

All in all, I feel as though DXM polistirex has more of 'clean' feeling than DXM HBr, but the fact that it stays in the system so long can be a hazard. If anyone decides to try it out, plan the next day before dosing because there's a chance that the afterglow will be very strong when you wake up in the morning and it'll be really annoying trying to take care of things at the same time. Delsym is fairly expensive, however ($12.59 here in Texas). Depending on my mood, if I decide to dose with dextromethorphan, it is usually either one 5 oz. bottle (888mg; middle third plateau) or one 5 oz. and one 3 oz. (around 1.2g; standard fourth plateau dose for my weight [155 lbs]). Be careful with this stuff because it can last a really long time. If anyone mixes DXM polistirex with DXM hydrobromide, take it slow with the hydrobromide because there's a chance things can start getting a little icky at higher doses.

ok yesterday night i tripped on a five ounce and one 3 ounce bottle of delsym using the polistirex extraction method. I am extremely pleased with how it went and will NEVER be using HBr again. I weigh 115 pounds and i hit high fourth plateau levels during this trip. The taste wasn't bad at all once i had the powder because its very easy to avoid by chasing down with some juice or whatever.
The trip lasted a LONG time, i mean like 12 hours of a good trip! It was an easy extraction and i will be writing a trip report on my experience soon.

i was under the impression that the poli is just coated hbr?

was reading the will white faq, and it says that neurotoxicity is related to duration of the high as much as the extremity of it, so would it be safe to assume that poli is twice as toxic (as the release is sustained twice the time of standard hbr)?

joining dextroverse now ... maybe they'll have more detailed info in the forums

here is a little more info on polistirex ...

----------

posted by Phonon @ dextroverse:

DXM polistirex is a drug-polymer complex. The polymer is a cation exchange resin. In this case it's a divinylbenzene polymer substituted with sulfonic acid groups, with cross linking. Usually this polymer is coated with a water soluble material. The particles generally swell when exposed to water. Then the acid present in the stomach can donate protons to the sulfonate groups and DXM can be released and become DXM HCl in the stomach. Extended release cation exchange resins were originally designed to reduce toxicity of drugs (i.e. to reduce the 'amine peak effect').

One way that you could alter [the water/Delsym extraction] method, to speed up the absorption to the point where it's like taking DXM HBr, would be to add Coca-Cola or lemon juice [after extracting] and let it sit in the acidic drink for a while. These microparticles slowly release the drug by coming to equilibrium with your stomach acid, so if you pretreat them with acid, you could just wait a few hours and release it all from the microparticles. That way, you could do what seems to be a relatively simple Delsym extraction and not have to think about the extended release factor.

timed release of poli dxm:
0.5 hr - 42%
1 hr - 48%
2 hr - 71 %
3 hr - 73%
4 hr - 75%
5 hr - 77%
7 hr - 79%
12 hr - 82%

[edit: ^ in my experience this is a little off ... i'd say +3 hr 50%, +6 hr 100%. (i think these #s came from a water dissolve)]
----------

there were no follow-ups to his citrate/phosphate conversion ... so i can't say for sure if that method works. the consensus on dextroverse seems to be that poli is good for taking first and sustaining the buzz, but that it should be topped off with some hbr a few hours into the trip, in order to sufficiently 'peak'.

Last edited:
Question about the cold water extraction:

-======================= [ Comment ] =======================-
(the following is not the author's words, just a revision)

Solubility for DXM HBr in water is 1.5g/100mL at 25 C

That means for every 100ml of water at room temperature, 1.5g of DXM HBr will dissolve in it.
-======================= [ Comment ] =======================-
How can you extract with cold water when it dissolves this well? Or does it dissolve less at higher temperature?

Also, isn't a lot of the nausea simply due to DXM being in its' HBr form, and Bromide is not a natural compound in the body? Most drugs are in the HCl form, and some RC's with Br or I seem to have a bodyload.. Just look at the bodyload from DOC(Cl) compared to that of DOI and DOB.

Especially when people say the pure DXM compound gives them the worst nausea it really makes me wonder..

about 12 days ago i started the water extraction on a bottle of delsym. something came up and i wasn't able to dose that night, so i dried the extract in the oven for 30 min and gel capped it, then tossed it in the freezer. about 6hrs ago i dosed said two-week-old caps and they are good and strong. so it would seem as though the delsym extract will last ok in storage. anyone stored longer?

Last edited:
[DXM Subthread] DXM Freebase Extraction step by step

I'm fairly new here (to the forums part at least) so I hope this is the right forum, and I hope you guys appreciate this.

DXM is a wonderful drug. It's been my friend for many years now.

A common way of taking it is cough syrup. It has many bad side effects (most notorious is projectile vomiting and diarrhea). This guide will show you how to extract PURE dxm freebase from cough syrup using some common chemicals.

This guide was not fully written by me, but by a brilliant man by the online name of Monolaith, on the Dextroverse forums (http://www.dextroverse.org). I've modified some of it so it isn't so dependent on the dextroverse site and with some of my own hints, as I've done this extraction several times.

------

FREEBASE EXTRACTION FROM SYRUP RECIPE v.1.1

This is my preferred method of extraction from syrup, when put next to agent lemon Once you get the process down, it takes about 30 minutes from start to finish, to produce powdered DXM freebase.

I have used this method many times, I didn’t come up with this extraction, but this guide has my additions as far as materials that seem to work the best with the whole process IMO. If you follow the instructions, pay attention to colors and smells, you wont fuck it up, but I'm not responsible for any shit happening to anyone who doesn't do it right. It’s very easy to do.

THE OWNER OF THIS POST HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL LIABILITY FROM USE OF THIS METHOD OF EXTRACTION. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

NOTES:

-These are the syrup preparations, that have been tested and work with this method of extraction:
Robitussin Max Strength, Robitussin DM, Robitussin Cough - Long Lasting, CVS Brand Max Strength, Histal DM

Please let me know if you come across any others that work, this is going to be a progressive listing.

-These are the syrup preparations that will not work:
Vicks44 (any variation)
Equaline DM

Please PM me of any other syrups that do not work, so that I may list them here.

-It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with this process well before attempting to execute it. It helps in case something happens mid-step and makes it easier to take pro-active action to avoid waste / injury.

- Also, if you have the time, please read through some of the replies to this thread as there are some very valuable suggestions / tips from experienced chemists and various individuals.

-Throughout this recipe the term 'clean' (as in the verb) is used. This means thorough washing with some kind of detergent / soap and a thorough rinse, not just a wipe with a towel or towel paper. Just an FYI.

You will need:

- Cough Syrup (Any Syrup that has no active ingredients aside from CPM - a.k.a Chlorpheniramine Maleate, Pseudoephedrine, Acetaminophen and / or Gufenesin . This method will remove all of those and leave you with DXM only / I CAN NOT GUARANTEE THE REMOVAL OF ANY OTHER ACTIVE INGREDIENTS ASIDE FROM THOSE JUST LISTED)

- Ziplock bags (gallon size freezer bags work well)

- Naphtha (some people use lighter fluid or other kinds of spirits to replace this, I don't recommend doing that, Naphtha for sure, evaporates fairly clean) You can find this at any hardware / paint store, just ask for it.

- Clear, Non-Sudsy Ammonia (make sure it has no dyes, no surfactants or perfumes. A quick way to test if it's sudsy or non sudsy is to shake the bottle, if little bubbles gather at the top, it's sudsy. I've noticed that some brands of ammonia will say sudsy, but they're really not. Always test to make sure before you buy it.)

- 3 Large size glass mason jars (Some people use two-liter bottles etc. I say use glass, it's easy to clean, and you can always smell it to make sure you've gotten all the nasty stuff out after cleaning.)

- Duct tape or something that will hold a ziplock bag full of fluid hanging off the edge of a table.

- Large glass baking dish (can be anything EXCEPT metal i.e.. ceramic / porcelain, clear glass makes it easy to see crystal growth though.)

- Hair blow dryer (this is optional, but having it speeds things along.)

- Scissors or pin

- Large jug of some sort (for syrup waste collection / can be made of any material, doesn't have to be glass.)

- Razor blade

- GOOD VENTILATION WHERE EVER YOU'RE DOING THIS (brain damage from inhaling naphtha vapors, is not fun.)

Ok, on to the good stuff. Make sure your jars and the baking pan are clean before you start, a little bit of dishwashing liquid works fine before and after the process for cleaning. The cleaner and more organized you are ahead of time, the less chance for process-screwups and chemical accidents.

Before beginning the extraction process below, fill one of the mason jars about halfway with Naphtha, and then fill the remainder of the jar with water until the jar is about 3/4 full. Close the jar tightly and shake for a good 30 to 40 seconds. Do this about twice and then pour the mixture into a ziplock bag and allow it to separate.

The naphtha will be on top, and the water will be on the bottom. Get your waste jug ready. Hang up the ziplock back by one of the corners (close it first of course) and snip a small hole in the corner pointing to the floor. Allow the water to drain out into your waste jug and capture the Naphtha into another jar. Clean the jar you used to pour the Naphtha into originally, you will need it later. You have now given your Naphtha a 'water-bath' and have removed most of the water-soluble bullshit.

1. Pour the syrup you're extracting from into the jars. If you have a lot of syrup to extract from (more than three 4oz bottles) Split the amount between the two jars. The idea here is that you want to make sure you don't fill the jars more than half way with syrup. You're going to need the space for the other chemicals.

2. Add an equal amount of your ammonia to the syrup in the jars, it doesn't have to be perfect, but approximate.

3. Close the jars / jar tight and shake mixture for about 20 seconds.

4. Open the jars back up and add 1/10 (one tenth) of the amount of fluid already in the jar, of Naphtha. Be careful not too add a whole lot because this will slow you down later on during naphtha evaporation. Also, beware of the fumes they are toxic and this stuff just stinks!

5. Shake this mixture for about 40 seconds to a minute.

6. Pour your mixture into a gallon ziplock bag (again, make sure you don’t fill the fuckin thing up, leave at least a 1/3 of the bag empty) and duct tape (or hang by whatever method you chose to do so) it up by one of the corners (with the zipper part on the top of course) so that a corner is pointing towards the floor.

Immediately you should see a separation between the red bullshit in the syrup, and the clear layer of Naphtha, which will be on top. What you want from this mixture, is the clear layer on the top, and NONE OF THE RED STUFF. I can not stress this point enough. The red shit is toxic ammonia infested syrup shit. This is important to know for the next step.

Some syrups have gufenesin (the 'expectorant' in Robitussin DM) in them, and this will sometimes cause a bubbly frothy layer to be present within the clear layer, if this happens to you (and you're sure you didn't use sudsy ammonia) you're gonna have to wait until all those bubbles pop, and you've got a straight clear layer on the top before proceeding to the next step.

Make sure you have one of your glass mason jars clean and ready for Naphtha collection in the next step.

7. After you've got a clear, see through layer of Naphtha at the top of your mixture, get your waste collection jug ready, and snip a small hole / poke a tiny hole with a pin (scissors work so much better IMO) and slowly let the red bullshit drain out of the bag. As you start to get close to the clear layer, get your other clean glass mason jar ready to catch it (the clear Naphtha layer). It's ok to let a little bit of the clear fluid drain out to ensure you don't catch ANY of the red stuff, but don't let too much out, this clear layer contains your DXM molecules, which we will be preparing for crystallization in the next few steps.

8. !!VERY IMPORTANT STEP!! Once you've collected your clear Naphtha layer, take it over to a light and make sure you don't have any red dots / liquid in it. If you do, just pour the Naphtha into another ziplock bag, and drain it the way you did before, the red ammonia / syrup shit will always sink to the bottom. Make sure you wash out your glass jar before re-collection as well if you have to repeat step 8 again.

NOTE: I have come to the conclusion, that about three Naphtha baths are needed to extract almost 'all' of the DXM contained in the syrup. So, repeat steps one through eight, two more times if you're all about getting every single drop of DXM out of the syrup, and collect all your Naphtha / DXM mixture at once.

9. Now comes the fun part. Take your clear Naphtha / DXM mixture and pour it into your glass pan (beware of toxic fumes!). You can take two routes at this point:

9.a. - You can put the pan outside somewhere where no one will fuck with it and let the Naphtha evaporate off by itself (this stuff has a really low boiling point)

9.b. - Go outside and take a blow dryer and carefully blow over the mixture until it evaporates (beware of toxic fumes!).

9.a. Will take you at least 30 minutes, 9.b. will take you about 10 to 15 minutes. In both cases MAKE SURE YOU ARE EVAPORATING NAPHTHA IN AN AREA WITH GOOD VENTILATION, INHALING NAPHTHA CAUSES BRAIN DAMAGE ALONG WITH OTHER HEALTH COMPLICATIONS also, if you're going to be blow drying the stuff, try to keep your face away from the pan to avoid toxic fumes or consider purchasing an organic solvent respirator from your local paint store.

Remember, evaporation will always take place much quicker, when there is a higher surface area to volume ratio. The thinner the layer of Naphtha within the pan, the quicker it will evaporate off.

10. After the Naphtha has totally evaporated, you will be left with a menthol-like smelling sticky clear goo at the base of the pan. It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the way that Naphtha smells, I'm not saying huff the shit, but it's how you can tell if it has all evaporated, it has a very distinct smell, which should not be present after this point.

Wallah! This is your DXM (the clear goo), but we can't use it this way (well we could, but it would be a total hassle) so you leave it for a while longer to let it crystallize.

Try putting the pan in the fridge and letting it cool to jumpstart crystallization, which does work, but I find that crystallization takes place much quicker when a hair blow dryer is used and the pan is very dry and warm.

Also, sprinkling some powder over the goo from previous extractions (freebase DXM powder that is) will help to speed up crystal growth as well.

As the goo starts to crystallize, scrape from the crystallized areas into the goo areas to speed up crystal growth. When the entire pan is crystallized, take a razor blade and scrape / chop it into powder. Smell the powder to ensure that it doesn't smell like Naphtha. It will have a very strong menthol-like smell. Your powder should be ranging in color from pure snow white, to a slight yellow tinge. If you end up with anything else (grey, white with back specks etc), throw it out and start over, it's not worth the risk of damaging your brain or body if something did go wrong.

BAM! You've got DXM freebase which you can now:

1. Dump in a shot of alcohol and dose

2. Dump in something moderately acidic and dose (this would then be DXM citrate, also known as agent lemon)

3. Put in a gelcap and dose (after ensuring that stomach conditions will be very acidic, this stuff is not easily water soluble, it is easily dissolved into acid or alcohol, keep this in mind when dosing powder in general)

ADDITIONAL NOTES: You can not smoke DXM freebase. You will end up inhaling disgusting scorched chemical nastiness.

Some people have attempted to snort DXM freebase; while I can not say from personal experience if this is effective or not, I do know this: DXM freebase must be converted to an acid-salt / solubilized within alcohol for the body to be able to efficiently absorb it into the bloodstream, it is not very soluble in water at all (i.e. which is what lines the nasal passages within it's mucus)

DEXTROMETHORPHANHYDROCHLORATE PREPARATION / ADDITIONAL STEPS (originally by Agent Poon-K-Off / Source: DXM Zine no. 16)

What exactly is this? This is the final product of following the next few steps if you have the chemicals and the proper equipment with which to work with them. The great thing about this method / addition, is that the result is going to be totally digestible, no absorption problems or a need to mix it with alcohol or assist it's absorption with acidic stomach contents. You can just pop it and that's it :D

YOU ARE GOING TO NEED GLASSWARE TO WORK WITH HYDROCHLORIC ACID AT ALL TIMES! That means no plastic nothing nowhere, you run the risk of it melting and chemicals ending up in your final product. You have been warned.

What you will need:
- glass beaker or jar
- glass pipette / eye dropper
- hydrochloric acid

Step 1
Take your DXM (freebase) crystals / powder and dump into glass beaker / jar, then fill the glass with water and stir. The DXM should be suspended (but not dissolved) in the water (which should make the water white and foggy).

Step 2
Add Hydrochloric Acid drop wise to the suspension while stirring, you should notice the cloudiness will start to disappear. Keep doing this until the solution is fully clear but don’t overdo it as any excess HCI will leave extra unwanted residue. You now have a near pure DXM HCI Solution.

Step 3
Leave the DXM HCI solution in a warm/ventilated area until it has evaporated into crystals. You now have near pure DXM HCI crystals WELL DONE!

TIP: Any HCI solution should be left in a well ventilated area to evaporate as HCI will release a fume WHICH IS VERY TOXIC AND WILL BURN IF BREATHED IN!

TIP: I don’t recommend anyone evaporating any HCI solution with a hair dryer as more fumes are released.

What the final product looks like:

In the pan
dex1.jpg

In the pan again
dex2.jpg

Scraped up
dex3.jpg

If yours is kinda gooey or has a very red tent to it, be careful, you still got some naphtha in it. It won't hurt you too bad with a small dose like this, but it's still enough to mention.

I recommend parachuting the freebase and chasing with cola. It kicks in almost uncomfortably fast that way, the way I like it ;)

------

Hope this helps guys, and I hope you have a good time. Pure freebase feels so clean when you take it, and the whole trip is just smoother. Just be careful you pay attention to smells, colors, and each step. If you have any questions or anything, feel free to post them here and I will help you the best I can.

Happy dexing :)

sick method! im tempted to try the dxm hci. sounds like it would be a lot easier to digest. aka no nausea :D a lot easier to follow than a lot of the other methods ive read

Dxm is not meant to be freebased. I am glad you mentioned that in the report. Pyrolization of dxm creates some very nasty by-products.

There are easier extractions out there if you look hard enough. Mine gives you the hbr salt, not the freebase.

Dxm kicks in much faster when not mixed in a comercial product. Extraction is the way to go.