• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ [DXM Subthread] Extraction

also, whats with the surfactant not being allowed in the ammonia? why a no to that? i havent seen that anywhere else.

Because the surfactant would be left behind and you'd ingest it.

Because the surfactant would be left behind and you'd ingest it.

well that much i know. im just wondering how negative it is. what could happen health wise and all? like i said, ive never seen that requirement on any other TEK's. i haven't found any ammonia around here without the stuff.

about the extraction... im wondering if anyone has found an alternative to naptha? i read earlier in the thread about other chemicals being present in it. im not sure if i want to do the extraction if there are. have any of you had troubles with it anyways?

Hexane

o shit. you were the one that ingested some and ended up in the hospital right? im in the middle of an extraction right now with the surfactant included. i dont mean to ingest it with that in it. any ways to remove it? if not i guess this will be practice ;)

btw, im at the first syrup/naptha filter step. i got that non-sudsy.

Last edited:
o. sorry.:\

plus, besides crystallization, im done. again, not ingesting unless there is a hexane extraction..

Dont sweat it man :)

About the dxm though, I've done the extraction using naphtha a few times and ingested the crystals before I found out hexane is better. You can eat them, just be aware there are safer solvents to use in the future.

Dont sweat it man :)

About the dxm though, I've done the extraction using naphtha a few times and ingested the crystals before I found out hexane is better. You can eat them, just be aware there are safer solvents to use in the future.

alright then. i thought you meant hexane was the surfactant in the ammonia. again, ive never seen any other TEK that called for no surfactant ammonia. im using/used the non-suds clear, and VM&P naphtha.

No I mean hexane should be used instead of naphtha.
You should be using surfactant free ammonia btw if at all possible.

Hexane works better? Not to be confused with Heptane... the chemical that did put someone in the hospital.

DO NOT INGEST DXM WITH SURFACTANTS IN IT!

I once read up of an article. The article claimed multiple organ failures following ingestion of surfactants... I have no idea where this article is, but please don't eat this stuff.

I don't know what kind of surfactants they were, but this should be more than enough of a "stay away from this stuff" kinda thing. Just looking out for everyone.

Yes hexane.

Other possible options are Diethyl ether(slightly soluble in water so may lower your final yeild by as much as 10% ), toluene, and chloroform(heavier than water so it will be on the bottom layer rather than the top).

Last edited:
Yes hexane.

Right, I was simply curious... like I said before my last extraction lead to an abyssmal failure of a trip because of an absent minded mistake... so my chemistry days are over, I love to know things, so I can pass on information to anyone else I know who do these kinds of things.

I PM'ed him telling him not to ingest any surfactant polluted DXM... I hope I was in time. =/
Then again, I hope I didn't ruin a trip that would have otherwise gone fine!

morbiddoctor, do us a favor and check back in here so we know you're ok.

CountSymphonic said:
DO NOT INGEST DXM WITH SURFACTANTS IN IT!

I once read up of an article. The article claimed multiple organ failures following ingestion of surfactants... I have no idea where this article is, but please don't eat this stuff.

too bad you dont know where you read it. i just thought it was kind of odd that out of all the TEK's out there, there wasnt one that had a disclaimer against it or any negative posts about human ingestion of them.

like i said, unless there is a way to get them out, this will be a practice batch. if you find that article, can you forward it?

thanks for the concern.

btw, i disappeared to take a shower. im fine, my dreads were getting dandruffy. solutions are one step from crystals ATM. so no, i didnt ingest them. if i would have found an ammonia without surfactant in it, believe me, i would've grabbed it. i dont have a car though so i only had a few places around with options. i will do more hunting though.

after further reading ive found that there are many different surfactants out there. as stated before, we do not know what is in the one i have though. i am going to go ahead with crystallization for experience purposes. i also sent a message to the manufacturer that wasn't too suspicious just trying to get more info.

Last edited:
too bad you dont know where you read it. i just thought it was kind of odd that out of all the TEK's out there, there wasnt one that had a disclaimer against it or any negative posts about human ingestion of them.

like i said, unless there is a way to get them out, this will be a practice batch. if you find that article, can you forward it?

thanks for the concern.

btw, i disappeared to take a shower. im fine, my dreads were getting dandruffy. solutions are one step from crystals ATM. so no, i didnt ingest them. if i would have found an ammonia without surfactant in it, believe me, i would've grabbed it. i dont have a car though so i only had a few places around with options. i will do more hunting though.

after further reading ive found that there are many different surfactants out there. as stated before, we do not know what is in the one i have though. i am going to go ahead with crystallization for experience purposes. i also sent a message to the manufacturer that wasn't too suspicious just trying to get more info.

Go to google and look at the first few links that pop up under that search.
Good to hear you're playing it safe too.

As far as the legality of extraction and ingestion of this stuff.... I don't think anyone really cares. When my incident happened where I thought I ingested ammonia, well a cop showed up, quite a few of them actually... along with paramedics. I told them EVERYTHING, showed them the by products of the extraction, even showed them the guide... All they did was laugh and call me and my 'tripping partner' idiots. It was the biggest wtf for all of them. They did not even press charges or anything. It was funny afterwards but I was pretty terrified at the time.

ya, i looked at a whole bunch yesterday and it led me to more info. according to wikipedia there are several classifications of surfactants, all used in different products and sometimes in conjunction with others. if the manufacturer lets me know whats in them, i'll look them up and see what/if toxicity exists.

i sure can imagine the terror. i had to tell my friend to get my mom to call medics because i thought i overdosed. im pretty sure i almost did. either that or i hit fourth plateau in a way that made me feel like my first OD. scary shit.

Cloudy Naphtha?

I am trying this extraction, but have hit a snag.
I've wanted to try the extraction for a long time now, but this is the first time I've actually had the time to do it!
My original mistake may have been using Buckley's Cough (it was the only syrup I could find with no guaifenesin and a high DXM content), and because Buckley's is white it is kinda hard to tell where the ammonia layer ends and the naphtha begins. In addition to that small inconvenience my naphtha layer is cloudy! Could it be that I did not add enough naphtha to fully dissolve the DXM? As I write this there is a precipitate falling to the bottom of the flask, but i let the mix settle over night, so there should be no ammonia in the naphtha layer..?
Any advise before I throw it all away?