• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ [DXM Subthread] Extraction

I have the most horrible time with DXM too. I took 20 gel caps once which like like idk 200mg, was sick as shit, threw up, hated it. Tried again the other day, doses half hour apart then progressive less...6oz later, jack shit...I don't know, maybe I should give up trying to do DXM all together.

quick question about the final 'salting' stage...

does anyone know the ratio of water:dxm required?

also, does dxm citrate (made by salting the base with powdered citric acid) scrape up and store well, or is it messy and perishable like the agent lemon?

Usually the same amount of water as naphtha.

DXM Citrate will store well, as long as it dries to a powder and not an agent lemon style sludge. The last stage of drying will take a while as you don't want to heat it once there is very little liquid left (maybe double boiler?).

thx rogan.

btw you say that agent lemon is much safer than doing the freebase crystallization. i'm assuming it's because you won't get any residue left over from the naptha?

but what about converting it to a salt in water as an additional step, as mentioned at the end of the tek - would that be any cleaner?

The last time I did an extraction I did the freebase crystallization and then converted it to a salt, the way I see it you get the efficiency of the freebase with the safety of agent lemon. The only difference is I didn't evaporate it down to a powder - thats only because I wanted to consume it asap :)

How much of a difference is there between 500mg bottled + lemon juice and the extracted white stuff?

SaRz said:
i read in alot of places that people were finding it hard to get it to crystalize. I read somewhere that a user exhaled on some cold 'goo' that had been in the fridge for a few minutes and to his surprise they crystals began forming.

So that leaves me thinking that its a temperature thing, that sparks the crystalization process. So what i did is, before it was evaporated completly, and left only with dxm i put it in the freezer. When i put it in, the liquid did not move at all, the only way i could tell was there was because it had a glossy surface. I left it in the freezer for ten minutes ( after it cooled, so it didnt crack the plate ) and then took it out, reheated it to evaporate that nasties. While the evaporation began, the crystals formed and i have a pyrex pan covered in its entirety with crystals. I will post the pictures....

Just incanse some of you were having a hard time with the crystals

LouReed How much of a difference is there between 500mg bottled + lemon juice and the extracted white stuff?

I've only ever used citric acid, it works but the absorption isn't as good as HBr - I usually go for the trifecta: DXM Citrate, shot of vodka and a 1/2 a shot of syrup (for the PEG) - that way it hits hard and consistent.

Extracts have never given me trips as good as syrup, but I think I've turned into one of those freaks who can drink multiple bottles of Robitussin without nausea.

i have never gotten a straight answer for this.. does extracting still give you nausea? if yes which method is least unpleasant for your stomach/liver?
i always puke my guts out on dxm, be it syrup or gels so i already have a low tolerance, if that helps.

helplesstorture said:
does extracting still give you nausea? if yes which method is least unpleasant for your stomach/liver?
do you barf on the come-up, or at the peak? it's the high that makes me nauseated, not the additives. the additives create more of a stomach cramping and diarrhea. so yeah, for me, the extractions retain the nausea. strangely they also retain the itch.

the idea with the extractions is not only to eliminate the additives, but to transform it from the bromide salt as well, because the bromine is toxic at recreational doses, apparently.

so in that sense, the agent lemon is a good one, as it creates a citrate form of the dxm. the freebase method is cleaner in theory, but it really depends on what grade of chemicals you're using (like rogan mentions). if you have leftovers from naptha it's not going to be any healthier.

if you want to experiment with extraction and figure out how the additives are effecting you, maybe start with a Delsym water separation. you heavily dilute a bottle of the syrup with water and filter out the dxm polistyrex. so you get time-release dxm hbr without the syrup additives. imo see how that works, before you bother with agent lemon etc.

rogan said:
I usually go for the trifecta: DXM Citrate, shot of vodka and a 1/2 a shot of syrup (for the PEG) - that way it hits hard and consistent
lol beast of a cocktail. i'll try it next time. thx

Hey.
I tried this out the other day, and I let it sit outside for several hours as I went and hung out with my girlfriend, figuring it'd dry up and crystallize by the time I got home.
Well I got home, and had the clear goo.
But no crystallization.
I didn't realize it was goo till I tried to scrape it, assuming it was so clear because of how thin of a layer I had. (roughly 1/16in. thick)
I just got goo on the blade.
I put the blade in the pan, and set it in the fridge for about half an hour.
Still nothing.
So I stuck it under my bed in a really warm room (and dry, for the record).
But still nothing.

Any ideas?

I'm guessing it's just too thin to make a real apparent crystal formation.
I tried it again today, and just left the goo in the pan, and put the new layer on, and stuck it outside in my car in the hot sun all day, and will leave it there all night. My car easily reaches 100-105 degrees till the end of September, and early October.

Think it'll work now?
Reasons why it didn't before?

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

I've used a method with lighter fluid, where you use an acid to separate the DXM from the fluid, much the same way that you separate the DXM from the base/syrup mix. This brings a solution of DXM-citrate (or another salt if you use different acid, citrate works though) which can be drinked.

If you're using the plastic ziploc baggy method to separate the polar & non-polar layers... don't. Every time I've tried to do that (no matter what the brand of the baggy is), the naphtha dissolves something weird on the inside of the baggy, and leaves me with goo-covered DXM crystals. :(

Just separate it by leaving it in the jar, and carefully sucking out the naphtha layer with a syringe or an eyedropper (or a turkey baster if you don't have any of those). Just be careful not to get any ammonia!

Ok so my last few tries have been very successful, leaving wonderful results.
It seems blowdrying the hell out of it to evaporate it, and then crystallize it, works rather well, instead of just letting it sit to evaporate, and/or crystallize.
I usually wait till it looks good and crystallized, then throw it in the fridge for a couple of hours to take care of any extra work that needs to be done.
It comes out wonderful.
Great method.

Im using a cough syrup that's off brand (of tylenol lol) there is 8 fl oz in the bottle and it contains (per 30 mL)

Acetominophen - 1,000 MG
Dextromethorphan HCl - 30 MG
Dexylamine Succinate (Spelling?) - 15 MG (It's an antihistamine lol)

Anyway would this method get rid of the acetominophen? (Not too sure about the antihist.) Or is it safe to use this syrup with this method?

Thanks ;P

So this would mean seperating the waste from the naptha/syrup/ammonia mixture and then using the naptha/syrup mixture to fill a new jar, which is then topped up with ammonia, shook and topped up with a further 1 /10th naptha right?

^no.

you add naptha to the ammonia+syrup, stir and then let the solution separate into layers (the naptha is immiscible like oil in water).

once the solution has separated completely without any emulsion (bubbles etc dividing the layers) then siphon off the naptha and put it in your evaporation dish.

now if you wish to, you can repeat the process by adding fresh naptha to the ammonia+syrup.

make sense?

^ if you want an easy food-safe salt, search "agent lemon" tek. instead of evaporating the naptha, you combine it with lemon juice, creating dxm citrate. it's a liquid/goo and is not good for storage.

a citrate salt created using citric acid does not scrape up well. apparently using hcl acid you get a nice salt that is easy to work with, but make sure you wash it.

the dxm freebase you get in this tek is not water soluble. so what you can do is wash the crystals in cold water to hopefully remove impurities.

the main thing with this extraction is that you have to be sure about the ammonia and solvent that you are working with, and that there are no leftovers in the final product. i worked with a dirty solvent and didn't properly wash the crystals on my first go, and you can read about the ordeal that resulted earlier in this thread.

Safety information.

I successfully completed a freebase extraction with a 44% yield. I am re-adding Naptha to the leftover waste to see how much extra can be extracted.

During my experiment I made a fatal error that I feel I need to warn anyone who will attempt this.

During the addition of Ammonia I spilled a generous amount on my lap (the bottle was messed up from previously falling through a shopping bag and being ran over by a bike). It soaked right through my pants and ended up on my scrotum. This made me very angry at my mistake as the liquid was cold and on my scrotum. Pissed off I continued my experiment. Seconds later my sack was on fire. Freaking out I quickly set the chemicals down and bent over to get up. As I bent over I placed my head over the Ammonia and breathed deeply (I wasn't thinking clearly as my balls were being chemically burned). This only added to my pain and I sprinted to a shower, screaming, where relieved by ballsack.

The lesson here is that Ammonia is a nasty little chemical and should be treated with respect. I've gotten it all over my hands and it never irritated me and I grew too confidant. Now my scrotum is red with 2 coin sized burns to forever remind me Ammonia's true, evil, form.

I used 5 Safeway Brand Orange flavor cough syrup 15mg/ml DXM, 1 Robo Max Cough, and 1 Safeway Max Cough. 4oz each bottle. Final Yield = 1.1g white powder. DXM in syrup = 2.5g. Put into gel capsules and taken with grapefruit juice. Tested .55g per person (2 people) and worked great! Tripped so hard I thought I died or was dieing till I woke up. Respect DXM's power.

Next extraction I will post pictures of the step by step process.

Last edited: