• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Biking Nerds Unite

socko said:
I ride with people of different levels of fitness and would take it easy.
Add Infraction for

It's more an internal comparison for me. I can compare the shape I was in circa training for a century verses the recent staying inside, too busy to ride, and getting stoned a lot.

ebola

Did you ever do that century? I remember a trhead months ago where you were planning a training schedule.

It's good to get stoned or trip on the bike ride sometimes... It helps me overcome the lack of motivatoin that marijuana brings on if I smoke beforehand. I'm already way out there on a ride and forced to ride home. And it makes the ride more interesting.

As long as the ride isn't technically difficult of course. :)

On a note........Sell me your bike.

Get your own! I just finished this one now I'm waiting for the snow to melt and the trails to dry so I can give it a good thrashing... You don't want this one anyways half of the parts are all worn out :D

Cove Bikes would be happy to sell you one of their beautiful Canadian made frames. They sell direct, phone number is available on contact page. If you look around there are good deals to be found on used frames, I paid only $300 for mine.

Back when I used to toke, safety meetings at the trailhead always seemed to help me pick better lines. Never seemed to demotivate me either, I'd have a joint at home and be itching to put the helmet on and go for a rip. It's nice for meandering rides through the city/suburbs as well, just to see what you can see.

Weed goes with biking almost as well as it does with snowboarding IMO :)

Yeah, I guess. I wouldn't want to combine either of them, with herb, but having a bowl waiting for me directly afterwards would be three different kinds of awesome.

socko said:
Did you ever do that century?

Oh yeah, back in August. I didn't train as much as I woulda liked, but I finished okay (along with another bluelighter). Around mile 70, my legs and ass were pretty angry, and I couldn't output near as much torque, but i made it. :)

It's good to get stoned or trip on the bike ride sometimes...

I tried this once with mj with pretty poor results. Time dilation made the uphill parts seem tougher, and my heart-beat was uncomfortably prominent. Fun downhill though. :)

ebola

Crutch.........

I got my rims, Sram x7 triger shifters/rear deralier combo today!! Yay. Chain -n- shit. I'm worried I chose the wrong cassette: 11-26t. I can do the equation. work capacity/ intensity/duration....I wan' ride at this new york state park. Big 45 yard ravine at 45 degrees, and an incline at like 20 -30 degrees to get to the top.

Tommorow I expect to receive the Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2 2009 fork and other parts.

This is a rebuild on a $500 2007 felt q 520. I've spent $600 + on parts for the rebuild.
The state park is 50 miles from my apt., so I am going to get the 11-32 t cassette in place of the 11-26t.

attachment.php

This is my bike before the rebuild.

The state park is 50 miles from my apt., so I am going to get the 11-32 t cassette in place of the 11-26t.

The 11-26 will make you a stronger rider ;) The SRAM will not let you down, that's what I like except on the front derailleur, it's good stuff. The DJ2 is a good choice too, lots of bang for your buck and built pretty strong. Your bike looks pretty solid, seat's kinda low though for an XC bike.

Bay Area bike geek here. I'm def. down for an expedition once I get over my injuries from getting doored last week. GRRRR!!!!! Badly, badly bruised leg, and some kind of nerve injury from the impact of my elbow and the asphalt. The nerve thing REALLY sucks. I don't have full use my right hand yet. But I have all of the door bitch's info so she'll be paying the bills.

I've been biking in cities for fun and transportation 20 years and only been doored twice so I've been pretty lucky. And it won't stop me from biking in the city. Honestly, I enjoy the challenge of riding in the city and there are a few cool semi-secret bike routes that take you along the rapidly shrinking busted-out dock areas.

I'm also used to defensive riding so I can usually avoid collisions. This bitch pulled an unintentional stealth move, bending over to get something in front of the passenger seat, then popping her head up and flinging the door open in practically one move. I usually just check all the parked cars to see if there's a driver in there.

Anyway, this isn't the getting doored thread. My main ride is a Frankenstein Bontrager that I picked up for really cheap 10 years ago. No logos. The body, fork and stem are all different colors and it sort of looks like a cheap beater unless you look closely at it. I love my bike. It feels like an extension of me.

Any more Critical Mass riders out there? There's been a bunch of riders v. drivers drama lately so I've stopped doing it for now. I highly recommend it to other city riders who haven't done it. It's incredibly liberating to ride down the middle of the main traffic arteries with absolutely no cars to worry about, while you're surrounded by like-minded cyclists all smiling and whooping. Whooping = good. =D

I haven't done one yet, but I will be once they start up again this summer. Woop!

I did a couple of Critical Mass rides and the first one was empowering and liberating. The second was full of violence and drama and I just feel like it's sending a positive message, so I quit. I'm not super into the urban riding, SF has some crazy drivers and I've had a couple of near accidents with idiots just coming on over into the bike lane to turn right. WTF? My usual route to get to SFSU from Nob Hill area was down Polk to Market, Market to the Wiggle, Thru the Panhandle to the end of GG Park, Left at the beach, Left at Lake Merced, and voila! 14 miles single trip. If I was feeling ambitious I would go from Fisherman's Warf to Presidio Park, down Arguello, into GG Park and resume.

Ah...I miss cycling.

i jus wish i didn live in toronto not the nicest place to bike but hopefully ill move to b.c. soon.

T. Biking is amazingly fun if you know the rules of the road. My head sticks easily up over traffic so I can see everyone and everyone sees me so that danger is eliminated, plus the cars in Toronto move so slowly you can usually keep pace and draft larger vehicles.

Either that type, or grueling up and down hill distance riding is where it's at for me. Or trails...anything with bicycles involved.

I've been biking in cities for fun and transportation 20 years and only been doored twice so I've been pretty lucky. And it won't stop me from biking in the city. Honestly, I enjoy the challenge of riding in the city and there are a few cool semi-secret bike routes that take you along the rapidly shrinking busted-out dock areas.
Biking is also my made mode of transportation. I continue to be dismayed by how many bad drivers, and in general, how many p0eopel are stil lin cars, especially for a city that prides itself on left-leaning activism. On a bianchi beater mountain bike, I can get most places that are within 5 miles faster than a car or public transit here in sf. I've had close calls and hit a couple of times but luckily without serious injuries. A couple of times, knowing how to an Aikido roll has helped me recover from a fall.

I spent yesterday mountain biking in Marin Headlands area. Where some good dock areas to explore?

I haven't done a critical mass yet,,, well I did part of one when I was in Minneapolis.

Last edited:
I found out that the 2008 sram x7 trigger shifter/rear derailer combo's rear deralier is a long cage while the previous derailerer was a med. cage so I returned it for the Sram x7 med cage 2008 along with the sram 11-32 t cassette.

I'm also painting the motorcross style fenders a blue color to match my frame and provide a nice contrast to the red rims. I'm gonna' sand them and use a good spraypaint that sticks to plastic.

Last edited:
Anyone ever do the MS-150??

A riding buddy of mine is trying to goat me into doing it again this year (did it in 2002, longest day (s) of my life) and I was in far better shape then.

I will assume that this isn't 150 mg of morphine sulphate. ;)
I just recently signed up for the Marin Bike Club Century in August. This should give me a good excuse to get in shape again. :)

ebola

oh how I love biking ! I live in a small town in the Canadian Rockies, and it's really all I need in terms of transport. I just have a townie that I paid $100 for, but it does the trick, and there's a milk crate attached to the front, which has been truly innovative on my life...haha.

There are some fucking CRAZY ramps and jumps people have rigged up on the nearby mountains....it's intimidating even to walk on them....

i helped both my parents pick out townies at the shop i work at, great bikes. supremely comfortable.