• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Biking Nerds Unite

G P said:
I love shredding some singletrack on my mountainbike, but I really hate to see bikers on roads where its not appropriate. Let's face it. Some roads are not made for bikers...curvy/tight/trafficked roads.

Which roads? I find that riding in conditions of heavy traffic is unpleasant enough to compel me to plan alternate routes. And, well...I don't find it legitimate that cars should monopolize curvy and tight roads (which present the possibility of lots of fun)...if anything, a case could be made that bikes consume fewer 'resources' (mainly space) and present fewer hazards than cars on such roads, and thus hold greater claim to the legitimacy of their presence.

The first paved roads were bvuilt for bikes, not cars. Then cars came along and hog them. In california, bikes have the same road rights as cars and have a legal right to use any road if there is no alternative route.

This link for do it yourself bike cart plans. http://bikecart.pedalpeople.com/bikecart-sequential.pdf

I just recieved the Azonic Oneal surround sound helmet. I have the electric-avenues personal amplifier that when compared to the I pod is 610% more powerful. The sound coming from the helmet is o.k. It distorts at louder volume, but the sound is never enough to drown out traffic noise.

I live in upstate NY, Syracuse. Today I recieved a 8sd chain and new grips that I safety wire with race bike wire, so they don't slip. I'm going to weigh about 175- 190 lbs when the bike riding weather arrives, and I'm looking for a new fork. I don't downhill. I think I want something adjustable; I have to do the research before I can talk confidentely about what fork is what.

Last edited:
^ a fox talas r is a good fork for all kinds of riding

I rode my bike everywhere for a long time. I want to invest in a bianchi pista.....its so awsome.

Chicago is a pretty bike-friendly city. But being in college in urbana, I'm tending to really dislike hills and shit. Its really annoying having to get back from class and bike up a huge hill to you dorm.

BUT i stopped riding because I read- and experienced -that the bicycle seats can cause erectile dysfunction. The way you sit on a traditional seat puts pressure on your perineum and contracts blood vessels and nerves. Its kind of reversible, but I'm still experiencing some problems. I plan on ordering a different bike seat though, so i can continue to speed :)

fuck cars.....lol

I've been riding all my life and now ride 100-200 miles /week for the last few years. No problems with erections.

I've been riding all my life and now ride 100-200 miles /week for the last few years. No problems with erections.

never experience numbness? You're lucky, I've read 15%-24% of cyclists experience some ED problems.

Some saddles are worse than others, but after an hour or so of riding, my dick tends to get numb. I usually walk it off for a couple of minutes and then ride again.
Saddles with penis-grooves tend to work better.

brooks FTW^ I havent owned ANYTHING like my brooks, its amazing. The only downside is the weight. I personally dont really care too much about weight, I have a steel framed road bike. It did take a little while to get worn in, but once its worn in, there is nothing quite like it.

West auckland is ALL hills, literally theres no flat spots pretty much(and this where i live) so its not very good for biking.. i do like doing it though.

I just ordered the sram x7 shifter and rear derailuer. And the Marzochhi Dirt Bomber 2 fork 2009. Sram 950 cassette. Sram pc951 chain. Alex dm 24 (red in color) rims w/ 32 black spokes. Wellgo sealed pedals w/ replacable pins. Sette Duo Bars w/ a 2in. rise. Speed dial 7 levers, a Sette saddle, Sette lock-on grips. Front and back fenders. A red flashing light too, for the front cause' I dont trust traffic behind me in the dark. And an undersaddle bag for a tube and tools.

Last edited:
I live in an area where cycling is the #1 sport. Even the tourists do it. I got into it when I decided to do a 7 day bike ride from Sf to LA for charity, the training was rigorous but exhilerating. I feel like we are lucky in SF to have so many hills to train on, plus Marin county is full of beautiful areas to ride. My favorite thing about cycling is the challenge of a multiple mile hill climb, getting to the top, and blowing down it at 30+ mph.

I haven't been able to ride my bike lately though because I left her at home in Sf when I came to the UK to study this year. I bought a cheap mountain bike to get me around town, but it's no fun to ride. I miss my bike and can't wait to go home and ride up to the top of the headlands.

ps, I'm trying to post pics as well but for some reason this is not working.

Last edited:
And those of us in the East Bay are really fucking spoiled by similar but warmer weather and reduced car traffic.

ebola

And those of us in the East Bay are really fucking spoiled by similar but warmer weather and reduced car traffic.

ebola

ah yes, that is true. East Bay riding is wonderful. One of these days we should ride together. Fancy a trek up the Marin headlands when we get back?

p-dub

sounds like a good scene...there are a couple other bluelighter cyclists round here that aren't in this thread.

Cycling around here is fantastic. I go every day. I'd be up for a ride with some bluelighters this weekend or whenever around someplace like Marin Headlands. PM me if interested

Last edited:
Awesome, it won't be until August until we get back from the UK, but I'll bring this up again. I'm sure my poor bike is all dusty from sitting in my friend's garage.

:)

I ride with people of different levels of fitness and would take it easy.