• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Biking Nerds Unite

Oh yeah, and while I'm bragging (heh):

XT components, with an XTR rear derailleur. Titanium clipless pedals by Ritchey, a titanium replacement spring on the Helix Pro, brand-new titanium springs in the Marzocchi, a complete rebuild of the marzocchi about a year ago with a brand new recent-style Marzocchi oil damper, carbon fiber spokes in both the front and rear wheels, nice top-shelf reinforced rims just short of DH-type heavyweight to stand up to really rough enduro use in the White Mountains of NH with tons of brutal granite just waiting for a flat tire to pretzel your rim like a wet noodle.....I think that about covers it :)

But while I'm out riding her, I'm sure I'll think of something else. There's just something special about having shoes that are wide enough for my extremely -- almost freakishly -- wide feet, a handlebar that is featherweight yet provides the best connection to the steering I've ever had from even the heaviest steel DH handlebars, and is the perfect height at 1.5 inches of rise to climb almost as well as a flat bar yet still descend as well as a 2-inch DH riser bar. And still be all those things while also allowing for a 26 (28? All I remember is that it's two inches wider than any other bar I could find anywhere near this quality) inch width to accomodate my -- almost freakishly, for someone my size -- wide shoulders. The whole bike is dialed in just so, like that.

It's worth a boatload more than my car. It's worth as much as every car that my wife and I have ever owned, put together. But it finally achieves everything I ever dreamed of when I was in my teens, racing downhill and dual slalom and cross-country and any other off-road event that they would put together that I could conceivably get my sponsors to pay my way to.

These days, it's all about finding time to ride at all, while raising a baby son, buying a new home, coping with severe chronic pain for the fourth year in a row, on top of all the usual pressures of life and then some....speaking of which, I better get my ass out the door now and enjoy this damn thing.

Before I go though, I would heartily recommend any of today's GT i-Drive models. They are now adopting many of the things that I had to customize my bike to get, into their standard lineup which has diversified greatly.

The i-Drive 5 is somewhat similar to my bike, and the Ruckus version of the i-Drive 7 is a really great choice if you want to get uber-suspension although I doubt any stock shock can compare with the Helix Pro. Few stock forks can compare to the Marzocchi Z1 but a lot of progress has been made in this area. The basic design and many of the component choices by GT are excellent, the value is there, and few suspension designs can compete with the i-Drive.

Go get one if you can!

Damn you MTB'ers.. aren't there any road racers here? :)

well, Ruski, although i was an MTB racer, I do a lot of road riding now; I got a great deal from my bike shop on a Giant road bike.

It's a mostly-stock 2001 TCR-2, with aircraft aluminum ultra-thin-wall/large-tube frame, carbon aero-shaped fork and seatpost, and Giant's "mtb-style" road frame design with an unusually long seatpost for low center of gravity, better cornering, lighter weight (only 17 pounds for the whole bike) and stronger/stiffer frame. I can't say enough good things about this design, it's a lot nicer for a life long mountain biker to ride I'll say that much for sure.

I love my bike! It's the cutest thing ever! It's vintage and only has 3 speeds. It has a basket on the back and is called a Fairway Flyer. Whenever I ride my bike I want to have sex with myself.

I dont really like going super fast because I get scared that the stupid ass cars will hit me but I do like how I can get some place faster on a bike than I could even in a car. You dont have to stick to the roads on a bike!

AbrahamLyra said:
I love my bike! It's the cutest thing ever! It's vintage and only has 3 speeds. It has a basket on the back and is called a Fairway Flyer. Whenever I ride my bike I want to have sex with myself.

I dont really like going super fast because I get scared that the stupid ass cars will hit me but I do like how I can get some place faster on a bike than I could even in a car. You dont have to stick to the roads on a bike!

Yes, stupid arse drivers do try and kill you. I can vouch for that.

it's a work in progress. French made Motobecane. looks a lot lighter in the pic, it's Deep Blue from Rustoleum. Can't wait to get this baby up and running, I'm thinking off adding some either black or purple stripes to it...
IMG_2179.jpg

Last edited:
I am still on my stumpjumper fsr pro for the time being, but will hopefully be able to upgrade to a heckler soon...

My bike is a "city-bike" with no gears. I don't like biking in difficult terrains, I'd rather walk :D

I love to bike, but since my ride is a road bike and it's the middle of winter here, I'm stuck on an indoor trainer. Can't wait for spring to hit though-- a 40 minute ride to work every day including two of the steepest hills in the city. Woo!

I used to be really into mountain biking but i haven't done it in too long, Maybe i should get the Super 8 out and take it for a thrash.

I am not one of you.

I love shredding some singletrack on my mountainbike, but I really hate to see bikers on roads where its not appropriate. Let's face it. Some roads are not made for bikers.

You go much slower than us (in cars), you are not as visible, you're largely unprotected against any collision. You are a danger to yourself and a danger to everybody else on the road when you choose to ride on curvy/tight/trafficked roads.

/rant

biking is one of the best feelings around. I have a track bike (old pista with junk parts), a pinarello all campy, for the road. And for mountain i have a 08 Specialized Enduro expert stock, DMR Rhythem (custom build), Identiti Mr. Hyde (custom build) and a 05 Specialized Demo 9, which is my favorite. Downhill is my favorite activity besides going to festivals in the summer time.

I love cycling ~ but have'nt been doing it lately...

I went into a bike shop yesterday and was re-inspired to get back into it ... they have advneture challenges around here, where you ride, canoo and bushwalk for 24hours straight...! sounds pretty intense, but just what i feel like right now

here's my set up

a Giant Talon with panniers and a BOB trailer

IMG_3895.JPG

roadlesstravelled.jpg

after cycling 2000km last year, I'm taking a break, grounding for a bit, and hope to be back on the road in 2010... with enough funds to see me cycling south east Asia for atleast a few years

how much does cycling bring out the inner child! ... that joy of going down a big hill, makes u feel like your flying!

woooot.. i luvvit

has anyone ever joined one of those Critical Mass rides?

I think the point is to just get in a massive group and bike down the street to fuck with people

i've heard of them

i think the point isn't to fuck with people... but to raise awareness of environmental issues and gain support from local government for my bicycle infrastructure

Critical Mass Bicyclist Assaulted by NYPD

wow.. watch this... no wonder people have very little respect for police in the US, what an asshole

My bike is a "city-bike" with no gears. I don't like biking in difficult terrains, I'd rather walk :D
Fixed gear? Those are gnarly, i almost fell on my face when i rode one. Does it lack brakes as well?

has anyone ever joined one of those Critical Mass rides?

I think the point is to just get in a massive group and bike down the street to fuck with people

my friend is all into biking. he goes to critical mass, midnight ridaz, etc... It's not really for the purpose to piss people off, but alot of the kids involved are out there simply to do that. I can't stand the elitism some of these kids have about their bikes. I ride to get places not to start ego trippin.

I used bmx a little bit back in the day, never got too far. Decided it wasn't for me when I almost broke my shoulder. Guitar was more important. I think road bikes are goofy but for the speed and ease of pedaling you get there is no comparison, except you have to ride on pavement.

Yea fixed gear, okay okay.

It's a retro Japanese bike, with a basket and bell. When I was working in an office, I left it at the art gallery downstairs so I could get lunch and run errands in the business district. Now I use it to visit nearby friends and go to the market. I live in a flat area (relatively) and see no need for bulky bikes.

I am not one of you.

I love shredding some singletrack on my mountainbike, but I really hate to see bikers on roads where its not appropriate. Let's face it. Some roads are not made for bikers.

You go much slower than us (in cars), you are not as visible, you're largely unprotected against any collision. You are a danger to yourself and a danger to everybody else on the road when you choose to ride on curvy/tight/trafficked roads.

/rant

Some roads, yeah I agree with you there. Most freeways should be avoided. However (and different places have different laws) most cities follow 'vehicular cycling' laws. Meaning that legally, a bike is just a slow car. Passing a bike without making a full lane change is illegal, in addition to being a real asshole thing to do. No extra lane? Then it's the usual choice: be patient or be an asshole. Guess what most people do?

That said, it is generally just MUCH safer, and way less hassle, to just plan your route to avoid such places. Just because you legally can ride on any road, doesn't mean that it's a good idea. The sticky situations come when there aren't any good alternatives.

Disclaimer-- Please don't read what I've said as calling anyone specific an asshole, or implying anything like that. You're a cool cat Gaian, and I find that in most cases I agree with what you post. It's just that I've had enough motorists nearly clip me, while I was riding ~40 kph and they were going much faster, just because they couldn't be bothered to do a proper lane change.

I could go on and on. :)

I've recently traded my BMW for a mountain bike. I'm buying, scrapping and trading parts to get a few custom bikes together like I used to. In my arsenal: 92' Cannondale Killer v 900; the one in Seinfeld, seasons pre-1993. And my aluminum t6000 w/ disk brakes. I'm looking to upgrade the rims, derailur and some other parts when I get a chance to look it over and make a parts list after I tune it up early spring. I've got a couple 20 in bikes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbrahamLyra

Yes, stupid arse drivers do try and kill you. I can vouch for that.

I agree, I catch myself going too fast in a section of the city that can't support that style of riding, and I have to ride at a slower pace.

I bought a pair of new in package knee pads at the thrift shop for two dollars, I'm going back tommorow to buy the matching elbow pads for the same price. Theres been a couple people that have noticed bruises on me and so I know the pads will do their job. I'm gonna' get a light for the back of the bike too, take it off when I hit up the jumps area; I've considered getting a cart for doing my laundry at the laundromat two blocks down the street. I don't give a fuck really if I get heat from anybody. I just got over being really sick for bout' a year from abusing drugs. I see people that have it together and come off strong pulling carts behind them. Just not so much around where I am. I keep my bike seperate from my person. Theres a definite split or divide/seperateness between me and my bike. My bike doesn't have a personality or soul. I'm into aesthetics though. I'm going to do better routine maintenence on my bike this year. See how some new parts work out. I will pull wheelies down the street for anyone.