• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Biking Nerds Unite

I inherited a bike I'll never be able to afford: hard-tail, decent shocks in the front, sram...6? drivetrain, Lightspeed titanium frame. It's sufficiently corrosion resistant that they didn't even bother to paint it.

ebola

Cool!
I was always a fan of GT's ball bearing tumbler process. It produces a natural finish.

I've recently done the biking 'Elfstedentocht'
Route.png

235km

It isn't, you'd be sweating your ass off. I did now, actually... Especially when going from the top of the top circle to the bottom. Was going with the leading group that part. Completely exhausted afterwards...

It isn't, you'd be sweating your ass off. I did now, actually... Especially when going from the top of the top circle to the bottom. Was going with the leading group that part. Completely exhausted afterwards...

I don't race, I just ride for fun. I'm also used to riding in a much hillier environment a bit to the south and east of you ;)

Cauberg? I've been biking there as well. My brother won a bet as a kid against a professional Dutch biker climbing that without mountain gears or whatever it's called in English.

Sounds intriguing.
I'm trying to train to bike from San Francisco to Santa Cruz. I'm a bit behind schedule though. These 2.5 hr. training rides are still leaving me sore...

ebola
I assume you're taking hwy 1. Doesn't the traffic scare you? I've been run off the road, had bottles thrown at me, spit on, etc in california, even on hwy 1. The car drivers there are some of the nastiest people in the USA. I think only Texas is worse where I was advised to carry a pistol so it would be visible to traffic for a bike ride I was thinkiing of doing across the state..

Cauberg? I've been biking there as well. My brother won a bet as a kid against a professional Dutch biker climbing that without mountain gears or whatever it's called in English.

Haha, a bit further SE in SW Germany. Down in the Odenwald/Kraichgau area

Ive been driving down to carter road,super fun.I highly recomend if you're close to central florida,but yea look it up.#CENTRAL FLORIDAAA BIKER lol but ive been riding my bike alot more lately saves gas and is fun

not bad, not bad at all. . .
socko said:
I assume you're taking hwy 1.

Nope, side-streets. It's immaterial, though, as continued infection issues with saddle sores really knocked my training askew, but I'm still gonna visit this friend soon...so it's gonna be something like San Jose to Santa Cruz instead (sigh. . .).

ebola

I traded a new 10sp Shimano chain I got for $4.00 ( i bought and sold 3 for $40 a piece ) from an online retailer and traded it to another rider at Pinkbike.com for new $70 Oakley padded mtb size XXL shorts.

I got $250 Icebreaker GT marino wool padded riding shorts for $4.50 from a thrift store. My dad shipped them to me with the tags still on them.

The Pearl Izumi shorts tend to have a nice fit due to the short length and have thin padding making them suitable for all occasions. Ive worn them beneath chinos to a job interview. Ive had them for about 3 seasons. I plan on getting a new pair at this seasons end.

Last edited:
Does anyone else use Mechanix brand or other "work" gloves sold at places like Home Depot/Lowes and put them into double duty use as Mtb gloves?
I do and theyre competively priced. They offer models with plush padding on the palms and on the front too where tree branches and brush whack you.

Pretty nice deals there beagle. I also bought most of my stuff on sale. This is the time of year when stuff starts going on sale, but stock is still decent. My mountain bike was stolen out of my basement (someone left the door open...) a few weeks ago, and I'm really excited to get one built up again even if it is just a XC/trail bike.

not bad, not bad at all. . .

Nope, side-streets. It's immaterial, though, as continued infection issues with saddle sores really knocked my training askew, but I'm still gonna visit this friend soon...so it's gonna be something like San Jose to Santa Cruz instead (sigh. . .).

ebola

I get them bad too. I've tried different saddles, special bike shorts, and talcum powder. NOthing works.

hahah...I'm okay now (sort of...I just had to get stitches following an MBT accident :p). This is stupid and gross, but I learned that it is absolutely essential to bike only in clean shorts and to change out of them and shower directly following riding.

ebola