• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Effexor Opinions for Anxiety/Depression?

ttocs

Ex-Bluelighter
Hello all. Well I have been to two different doctors, since my family doctor retired, and both and older doctor and a younger doctor, and they both agree that Effexor would be best to try on me for my Panic/Anxiety Attacks and my depression. Since its an SNRI, and in the past I haven't had much luck with SSRI's. Even though I've only tryed Paxil, and currently weaning off Lexapro/Cipralex here in Canada.

I just would like some honest opinions on here though and not people flaming me and saying "Effexor is shit blah blah or all SSRI's and SNRI's are all shit". I would like some opinions for people who have actually been on Effexor and if it had done them any good. My problem is I think I have never been on an AD long enough for it to boost my serotonin levels back to normal:\

I don't want to become dependent on Benzodiazepines, or GHB, even though I partially already am dependent on GHB. I would like to minimize my use of GHB and only use it on special occasions or weekends.

I also have a question as whether or not it is safe to take GHB while being on Effexor? Since Effexor is an SNRI, and GHB does not hit on those receptor sites, I don't see why it wouldn't be safe. If anyone can help me or back me up on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, any help would be appreciated. BTW, Paxil helped me more than Lexapro did in the past, but Paxil had more initial side effects. Lexapro has not done shit for me.

Thanks for reading this.

I used effexor, it is a good compound for depression, and its nice because it doesnt take weeks to saturate your system...but it is addictive, very addictive, and has some opiate like withdrawl side-effects...

compare effexors structure and chemical name to tramadol, very similiar compounds.

effexor can also test a person + for PCP being a cyclohexanol compound.

I got some nice stimulant effects from it, but the last time I went through effexor withdrawl was enough for me..two weeks of postural hypotension, anxiety, opiate like withdrawl effects and spatial disorientation which gives a person the effect of having strange "shock" like sensations every time a person moves their head......

I think that effexor is one of the best anti-dep. out there, but like many potent compounds, it has its drawbacks.

good luck.

I take it for anxiety/depression and it has really helped me. I have even gone off of it a couple times and never had any serious withdrawl symptoms.

Effexor works well for me as well @ 150 mg. dose. Went off it for 6 months with no ill effects. Did not work well when I was still using coke (except to minimize coke comedown), but not sure how it interacts with GHB or other drugs besides coke.

FC

I tried effexor for about 2 months for anxiety and the highest dose i went to was 75mg's i think. It didnt help my anxiety at all. I think it actually made it worse and the side effects i got from it were intolerable.

When i stopped taking it after 2 months or so i didnt taper down i just quit cold turkey because i didnt know that effexor could cause withdrawal symptoms. I started getting those brain zaps every time i moved my head plus i felt nauseous and dizzy all the time. This lasted about 2 weeks or so.

I think if i had done the smart thing and just tapered off it instead of going cold turkey the withdrawal would have been much easier.

I could see how this drug could be useful to treat depression because it is kind of stimulating. But i cant see why its used to treat anxiety.

Thanks for some of the quick responses guys. Still looking if anyone has used GHB while on Effexor? I don't think there would be a problem. I've used GHB while on Paxil and Lexapro and no problems there, it's just that Effexor is an SNRI so I'm wondering if this would create a problem even though I don't believe GHB acts on any of the receptor sites that Effexor does.

Thanks for your help.

Did anyone get any nasty symptoms from Effexor like racing heart beat, increased blood pressure, dialated pupils? Although I find that Paxil and Cipralex both dialated my pupils, paxil had a much calmer effect though.

I take Effexor at 225mg qAM. For me, Effexor worked better than sertraline (Zoloft), a purer SSRI. I cannot take bupropion (Wellbutrin) anymore, so I guess the noradrenergic activity of the effexor is better than nothing.

ttocs said:
Did anyone get any nasty symptoms from Effexor like racing heart beat, increased blood pressure, dialated pupils? Although I find that Paxil and Cipralex both dialated my pupils, paxil had a much calmer effect though.

Effexor made my pupils extremely dilated the first few days i was on it. It was worse when i first woke up in the morning. It looked like i was baked on mushrooms or something. This went away after about a week or so.

Yes, drink it down and praise the lord. Effexor is fine with everything, diminishs mdma a bit (nothing like ssri's) but everything else is fine (except maybe dxm?)

One or two half doses of prozac will get you off effexor no probs also consider opening the capsule and taking it in devided doses for a better effect

^bad advice, don't take note of that. effexor is not fine with everything, far from it.