• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

I tried to go for a run, but its still to icy/snowy, and I don't wanna fall and hurt myself.

Cant wait for spring

Anyone here ever get a ton of mucous/drainage going down the back of their throat while running? It gets so bad for me I end up gagging sometimes and have to stop and try to relax... really sucks.

On another note, I ran in Vibrams for 2 years then switched to Altra Instinct and now Im on the Instinct 1.5's. Best shoes Ive ever run in. Loved Vibrams but hated having to constantly roll out my calves. My lactic acid would kill me if I didnt.

Yep, I have had postnasal drip my whole life, and it's pretty annoying when I run, though not as bad as yours. I've never had to stop, never actually gagged, though maybe bc I lack a mechanical gag reflex. I take a bunch of OTC drugs and supplements to help keep my mucous under control; that's really my best suggestion for you if you can't figure out why you have so much extra mucous to begin with.

I'm really curious about this running barefoot style trend; I just ordered some Merrell minimalist trail shoes that should arrive tomorrow:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0050SN2I4/ref=oh_details_o01_s03_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've heard a lot of good things about Vibram FiveFingers but as I have very crooked toes that are all smushed together, I think that type of toe separation would be painful. Well, I know it would be. I did order some toed socks to wear around & when running. I have so many foot issues - flat feet, almost too narrow for normal shoes, deformed toes - that it limits my shoe options but the potential benefits of running in less padded/structured shoes seem worth trying some new shoes for. I run mostly trail since moving to Germany & I have a long history of spraining my ankles on trail runs. I constantly have to stop and adjust/retie my shoes, and my feet never feel stable or secure running trail. Running on the road here is dangerous as the roads are narrow & very curvy with not even a shoulder to run on. Even if it were safe, it wouldn't be optimal bc my choices are flat or very steep, and I much prefer moderate hills. I so prefer running on trails, if only I can avoid injuring myself more than usual.

Never the throat for me.

I pulled my left groin March 2nd during a 10K trail race. I made excellent time even after falling on mile 5. I only push myself when I race. I am my biggest competitor. Fairnymph, RACE!

Worst pain ever for 5 days. I am not walking fluidly yet and stairs are slow so I can't run. Retardly, I was thinking that I would still trail race this Saturday but I was sitting down at the time. I ran on the spot...eff that. It hurts. I need to wait to fully heal so I can have more years of running. I didn't realize how much I liked trail running until it was taken away from me.

Ouch! I hope you heal quickly. Do you think that you injured yourself falling? Or was that unrelated? I'm asking if you know you'd injured yourself and finished the race anyway, or was it something you only realized in hindsight?

I greatly admire your racing! And night running, which I do a lot of myself. You would make a great HL mascot with your fitness & diet regimens.

I had a minor groin injury 2 weeks prior. Self diagnosed. I came home one night after trail running and it hurt a bit to go up stairs and swing my leg into and out of the car. I ran several times after that with no pain during. I had a feeling the racing was a bad idea but I was willing to deal with the ramifications of my decision. I felt great running. I told myself if I hurt during I was walking the rest through. I bet the fly forward commando roll on my left side when I tripped downhill had something to do with it too. My ribs were bruised and I tore some knee and ankle meat. Once I stopped running....holy fuck the pain. Endorphins are a hell of a thing :)

I am happy that we have more daylight hours. Trail running at night is not my favourite. I have been lucky I have only fallen once at night and never impaled myself.

I don't want to mod but thank you.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0050SN2I4/ref=oh_details_o01_s03_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
what do they weigh? I could not find that spec.

I need a substantial shoe to feel confident on trails. My treads are like tire tracks.

Ahh, sounds like it was a whole combination of factors, and endorphins masking pain really can trip you up, no pun intended. That fall sounds really nasty, like the one time I injured myself skiing. I would have almost definitely kept running in your place, too. And those weird sorta-injuries that you don't notice while running then suddenly escalate to where you can't walk....I think all my running injuries have crept up on me like that.

I'm thrilled about the longer days, especially since I'm such a night owl, but really need to run while it's light out with how uneven and twig-covered the trails around here are.

You would certainly make a good mod, but I was just thinking more generally that you're a good role model for people & it's obvious you inspire many with your posts. :)

I couldn't find the weight either (only the packaged weighty of 1.5 kg) but I'll report back on how they feel. They should be here...or at my friend's house where my mail gets delivered. The shoes I've been running in are traditional stability shoes, with major tread: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000YS7MS6/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have you always worn Salomon? I always wore Asics, the only other brand I tried was New Balance but they run too wide. Like you I tend to stick with the same model.

I ordered Solomon from Zappos.com last year without knowing anything about them. They looked pretty. I will unlikely deviate.
525891_10151659782020447_89698012_n.jpg

First pair lasted about 6-7 months after 400-500 miles. My feet started to ache in odd places and once I looked at the tread...I realized why. It will be 2 years this summer that I started running. For the first 6 months I was wearing Nike cross trainers and once I figured out I liked trail running it was time to get proper gear.

The grip on the soles looks great, better than on my Asics Trabucos. I buy shoes based on how they look, too. And wine bottles. Even books. I actually hate how my current Trabucos look, basically black (not into black running shoes, my favourite is grey & purple/lavender). If the Merrell shoes don't work out I might try some Salomons. Haven't run in 5 days since a weird part of my left foot started hurting on my last two runs. But resting doesn't seem to be helping much, it might even be that walking hurts it more. Outer part of my sole, from my midfoot to my heel, just along the edge. I don't recall ever having an issue like this before.

That discomfort sounds familiar. Mine went away after a few weeks but I still ran anyway. I found that wearing flats made it hurt more than walking in heels. The Solomons come with orthotic like insoles. How many miles are on your Asics?

Like 30? I've just barely broken them in, really. Now I'm afraid it's plantar fascitis which I had back in 2008 when I was running 7+ miles 6 days a week. That hurt way less in heels, like you said. Of course now I can't remember which foot was affected. Asics have orthotic like insoles as well, it's one of the reasons I like them so much.

Off to put some heels on.

When I get back into running after a lengthy period of inactivity, the first 1-2 months of running, increasing my distance does increase my speed. But then I just plateau unless I have a faster running partner or something else to push me, like speed workouts (which I hate). At any point once I'm reasonably fit, a single speed workout will noticeably increase my speed. I don't generally care much about speed though...I haven't pushed myself since I ran competitively in high school. I do think about racing again; maybe one day.

Something else that helps me is running in the heat and humidity of south Florida. This area has a lot going for it: high murder rate, widespread poverty, high unemployment, corrupt police and government, plentiful crack cocaine, homicidal drivers, etc. But my favorite is that the daytime heat index is reliably in the 90s or 100s at least 75% of the year. I try to run at noon in the sun as often as possible because it makes winter or night running amazingly easy. Plus, I get a solid rush when the thermometer is in the 90s and I'm able to pound out 6 or more miles in the sun.

^ I would die. Seriously. I can't run when it's over 80 F. But running in high humidity is better than the opposite. I once tried to run in Phoenix, AZ at 11am in mid-June. It was 110F, but very dry. After a mile it was like all the water in my body had evaporated, though when I started out it didn't seem as bad as running in the 90s with high humidity. I don't know how you do it, I would truly rather die than regularly run at high temps.

The body acclimates, especially over a period of two weeks. Cardiac output improves, plasma volume increases and baseline core temperature drops. The body even produces specific proteins to help you tolerate the heat (heat shock proteins).

More info here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2673895/

edit: after reading that wiki article, it seems these wonderful proteins also help cancer cells survive :\

Last edited:
Something else that helps me is running in the heat and humidity of south Florida. This area has a lot going for it: high murder rate, widespread poverty, high unemployment, corrupt police and government, plentiful crack cocaine, homicidal drivers, etc. But my favorite is that the daytime heat index is reliably in the 90s or 100s at least 75% of the year. I try to run at noon in the sun as often as possible because it makes winter or night running amazingly easy. Plus, I get a solid rush when the thermometer is in the 90s and I'm able to pound out 6 or more miles in the sun.

i'm the same way here in nc! i really like seeing exactly how far i can push myself, and the challenge of surviving a 100+ heat index run is one of my favorite things about running. makes the beers afterward that much sweeter as well.

The cloudless heat smashed me yesterday. It was scorching. on top of that i was still coming off of some cold symptoms this week (thanks, baby boy).

on the plus side, the little inner knee pain i felt when i put my feet up after a run a few weeks back has never reappeared, although i've been running further each week. :)

Last long run (10+ mi) in prep for 1/2 marathon this Sunday went nearly flawless. No knee pain and got the pre-race massage last night. One more 3-4 mi run to shake out the jitters tomorrow or Wed and maybe Fri too and I should be set.