• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Buprenorphine as a recreational drug?

Bupe is a weird drug. Higher dose doesn't equal you getting higher. In my experience, taking more won't get you higher. The first few times I took it I got a nice rush, but now it just keeps me normal and out of WD. If you're after a high, you're taking the wrong drug. Try something else like oxy if you want the desired effects you're talking about.

Its this easy: if you're not addicted to opiates, it'll get you real high. If you are, you'll just feel baseline

And if you're not addicted there's no reason to go above even 1 or maybe 2mg

Bupe is a weird drug. Higher dose doesn't equal you getting higher. In my experience, taking more won't get you higher. The first few times I took it I got a nice rush, but now it just keeps me normal and out of WD. If you're after a high, you're taking the wrong drug. Try something else like oxy if you want the desired effects you're talking about.

ahh thats how i felt, less is more in terms of bupe! if i took 8mg i'd want to die, 2mg i would possibly want to die, 1mg was just perfect to me and i was a pretty hardcore oxy taker :p

its a much different high though, its really... like i can't explain, it like a huge rush to your head that doesn't go away which can be uncomfortable at higher doses

this guy owed me a little bit of money well only <NO PRICE DISCUSSION> im sure that's ok to say how much he owd me. well instead gave me a handful of 8mg subutex.stupid me didnt dose reasearch on the dose in thought the higher the dose the better so I just had 8mg.
now ive read this thread & realized u can get higher from 2mg.
I would prefer to take it today obviously. im thinking about taking 12mg instead of 8mg to try to comensate for my tolerance. on the other hand i could wait untill the bupe is out of my system so i can dose 2mg & get the effect of the norbuprenorphine & than keep it at a low dose. any suggestions? what would u do?

for those who dont know norbupe which is more recreational than bupe is a metabolite of bupe but at around 2mg bupe itself saturates ya receptors enough to make norbupe non-effective.
so basically 2mg is more recreational than 4mg. i didnt know that. ive been dosing 8mg. so i cant get high on norbupe anymore. so my only chance of getting any effect today i suppose is to slightly increase the dose to get a higher amount of bupe
oi also read bupe works on dopamine & serotonin & also reduces anxiety
erowid states under effects: Opioid; Analgesic; Anxiolytic
I suffer from GAD so this bupe has been of some benefit to me. like tramadol used to be when I took 100mg a day.
also here u can read about antidepressant potential for bupe from wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buprenorphine#Antidepressant_potential
like I said I usd to think tramadol was great for depression but shit for pain. maybe bupe could be shit as an opiate but an ok AD.

Anyways. what do u guys think I should do. take 12mg today or wait for the bupe to get out of my system so i can take 2mg doses which i SHOULD have started on in the first place. how many days would i have to wait?
...........id probably get a better high out of waiting but ofcourse i wanna get high today. so i dont know what to do. how much better is the 2mg dose over the higher doses like 8mg-16mg?

I have basically no tolerance to opiates so ive been getting a mild ad effect like wikipedia says

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait til the buprenorphine is out of your system. This will take more than one day of sobriety, go at least 3 days without dosing.

Then, before I give specific advice, I must ask what ROA you're using? Sublingual? Rectal? Intranasal? IV/IM? (I hope you're not IVing these).

Trust me, taking those 12mg today will be such a waste... You will regret it very much. Wait 3 days, then my advice would be try plugging 0.25mg and see how you feel, if in an hour you don't feel where you want to be, try snorting 0.25mg

My advice with buprenorphine: Use more than one ROA, start LOW and go SLOW. Buprenorphine takes quite some time to peak, so don't redose too soon. Checkout the suboxone megathread.

OK i just received another 6 8mg subs. just got home. im taking them sublingually. I snorted 8mg of the shit the other night & it burnt very badly for almost 10 minutes. there is no way i would ever snort that much again. it probably damaged my nostrils. very unpleasant. im sure snorting less than 1mg would be OK though.
anyways i had a mild euphoria yesturday from taking 8mg. im very tempted to do the same today.
i know if i wait a few days i'll get a better result from taking a lower dose but i wanna get high NOW lol.
hmm maybe i'll have 12mg today. than i will stop for 3 days & use only 2mg.

i find is fascinating that u get higher off lower doses. if only id done my research first cuz ive been using them for the last week. I could have had a 3 month supply of weak analgesia & maybe even the so called AD effect.

anyways i think i will have some today. than i'll go off it for a few days. so what dose would give me the most recreation now that my opiate receptors have been saturated. will 16mg be stronger than 8mg?
the first time i ever tried subs I actually took 24mg. the ceiling dose cuz i was chasing a high. I started at 4mg. than worked my way up as i THOUGHT the higher the dose would be stronger.
anyways. I know if i wait a few days than <2mg will have a good effect but what should i take today?
im assuming once ya opiate receptors are saturated that the higher the dose the better. so im going for 16mg
Im probably wasting a months worth of supply in one dose. but im very impatient.

so im gunna put 8mg under my tongue now. hopefully someone can get back to me soon. would taking another 8mg after this one be ANY stronger. even the slightest bit stronger or am I simply just wasting them? my tolerance is at 8mg because that's what i took yesturday
i'll edit this post in an a few hrs & let u guys know how i feel anyway. & tell u if i took 8 or 16

btw i read this http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=8 so i know how bupe works. just out of curiosity im assuming ppl who are useing bupe to actually quit opiates would benefit from higher doses?
& those who arnt addicted are better taking <2mg?
otherise why would they have 8mg pills?

Last edited:
.25mg is too low imo. Do .5 at a time.

Heres an interesting question. If the body doesnt really get high or more affect past 2mg how ocme like if I take 8mgs for a week and try taking 7 one day Ill feel a little sick?

OK i just received another 6 8mg subs. just got home. im taking them sublingually. I snorted 8mg of the shit the other night & it burnt very badly for almost 10 minutes. there is no way i would ever snort that much again. it probably damaged my nostrils. very unpleasant. im sure snorting less than 1mg would be OK though.
anyways i had a mild euphoria yesturday from taking 8mg. im very tempted to do the same today.
i know if i wait a few days i'll get a better result from taking a lower dose but i wanna get high NOW lol.
hmm maybe i'll have 12mg today. than i will stop for 3 days & use only 2mg.

i find is fascinating that u get higher off lower doses. if only id done my research first cuz ive been using them for the last week. I could have had a 3 month supply of weak analgesia & maybe even the so called AD effect.

anyways i think i will have some today. than i'll go off it for a few days. so what dose would give me the most recreation now that my opiate receptors have been saturated. will 16mg be stronger than 8mg?
the first time i ever tried subs I actually took 24mg. the ceiling dose cuz i was chasing a high. I started at 4mg. than worked my way up as i THOUGHT the higher the dose would be stronger.
anyways. I know if i wait a few days than <2mg will have a good effect but what should i take today?
im assuming once ya opiate receptors are saturated that the higher the dose the better. so im going for 16mg
Im probably wasting a months worth of supply in one dose. but im very impatient.

so im gunna put 8mg under my tongue now. hopefully someone can get back to me soon. would taking another 8mg after this one be ANY stronger. even the slightest bit stronger or am I simply just wasting them? my tolerance is at 8mg because that's what i took yesturday
i'll edit this post in an a few hrs & let u guys know how i feel anyway. & tell u if i took 8 or 16

Or not...WTF ! your not gonna get high Good luck sleeping.

Last edited:
It's pretty good methadone meets tramadol.
"methadone meets tramadol" sounds disgusting. The side effects of both by themselves are somewhat disgusting (the dissociative 'ugggh' feeling of methadone, and the twitchy 'am i going to have a seizure?' feeling of tramadol) - I'd hate to feel both of their grossness at the same time.

Or not...WTF ! your not gonna get high Good luck sleeping.

what's the supppose to mean. well anyways the last 1/2 an hr i have been sorta falling asleep while sitting down. if thats what u mean
tricomb: why would i plug or snort subs when i have 8mg tabs? whats wrong with sublingual? do u get a faster onset with snorting? I know u get higher BA & need a lower dose but its not like i im running short of supply.

anyways im getting a good effect from 8mg atm. i feel sedated. & it sorta does feel like tramadol but tramadol gave me alot of energy. i feel like sleeping on this stuff. i got these pills for basically nothing so im happy with there effect & look forward to having a <2mg dose which is suppose to be more recreational but we'll see about that.

^^when i used to take tramadol id never go over 200mg. if u take 100mg-150 it's not overly stimulating. the same effect ya talking about is why i dont like ADs

basically yeah i feel like ive had 100mg of tramadol but im tired. im calm though. & had nothing to do today so it's ok. im gunna have have another 8mg. btw the onset seemed to come on straight away. not 1/2-1hr.

ive kept this horrible stuff in my mouth for 1/2hr now. im assuming ya slollow it? ive heard some ppl spit it out but think that's only with suboxone right?
i think i read somewhere that 15mins is fine to keep it in ya mouth.
ive had it there for half an hr but it is still bitter. Should I swollow it now or do i have to wait untill its not bitter any more? cuz that's take like 2 hrs!
how long should i have a break cuz my tolerance will be at 16mg before my opiate receptors will start to respond again to doses under 2mg?. 3 days? (ive been using them the last 4 days I didnt have any yesterday though.. will 2 days be fine. or should I wait 4 days just to be safe. it wont matter anyway will it cuz if i take it a day early it just wont get me high it wont really prolong the saturation of my opiate receptors cuz it's not a high enough dose i assume

Last edited:
Heres an interesting question. If the body doesnt really get high or more affect past 2mg how ocme like if I take 8mgs for a week and try taking 7 one day Ill feel a little sick?
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=8
im only learning about bupe but i think i can answer that. first read that site. bupe has a ceiling dose of 32mg not 2mg. 2mg is recreational because bupe has an active metabolite called norbupe which is more recreational than bupe itself. but when u take more than 2mg of bupe it saturates ya opiate receptors including the effects of norbupe. So bupe IS addicve & a little bit recreational but not as recreational as norbupe. im not sure why u get w/d from bupe. i'll have to find that out but yeah the ceiling dose is 32mg not 2mg. when u take drugs even unpleasant drugs ya brain gets adapted to it & when u stop it has to adapt again i suppose. like when ya sop an antidepressant ya didnt even like in the first place. something like that
oh i forgot to say. high doses of bupe are good for ppl going quitting opiates because it gives releif. so they wanna take high doses of bupe. while ppl who arnt trying to quit opiates dont get much effect from bupe wanna take low doses to try to get effefcts from the norbupe.

anyways i think thats how it all works. ive tried asking questions a million times about bupe & nobody has explained it to me. last night i was talking to someone about whether bupe was recreational. he said no. dont even take 0.5mg it has no rec value. than it got mergeed with this thread & i realized that some ppl actually DO find it recreational. seems everyone has different ideas. im assuming this is why bupe works. im hoping someone with actual knowledge can comfirm my information is correct because i really am just taking educated guesses here.
i still find it hard to believe that taking 0.5mg is more recreational than taking 16mg. i will be quit surprized in 4 days when i have a break if when i put a couple of specs of a tablet under my tongue it will get me higher than taking 16mg. (the pill will have to be devided in 16 doses ffs) cuz its an 8mg tablet.
than after i take 0.5 im suppose to wait half an hr for it to even kick in. & it has been suggested that i shove this small amount of powder up my ass btw. than if that doesnt do anything (which im fairly sure it wont) i than snort another 0.5mg.... ehh i dunno. im gunna try the lower dose & not use for a few days but i dont like having to wait 1/2hr for it to kick in.
id just like to know once & for all what is the most recreational dose.
I am assuming it is 1.5mg-2mg cuz that's what uve heard the most
i dont wanna take 0.5mg than wait 1/2-1hr to see how i feel than take another 0.5mg & wait 1/2-1hr & see how i feel than take another 0.5mg & wait 1/2-1hr to see how i feel..
How many day to get rid of my 16mg tolerance do I have to quit before 2mg will work?
Do u spit out subutex like u do with suboxone?
Are u sure taking 0.5-2mg is STONGER than taking even the ceiling dose of bupe (approx 32mg IV)?
Does anyone have any sources that taking low doses are more recreational?
Does anyone have a source that states the dose where the effects of norbupe are blocked?
Is the ceiling dose assuming ya taking it sublingually or is it assuming ya taking it through IV?
basically that would mean u could take over 80mg sublingually & still not hit the ceiling dose
The onset is 1/2-1hr sublingually. but how long if u snort it?

if anyone knows the answers to any of those questions i would appreciate there help. or u could PM me

Last edited:
Curious? I did suboxone recreationally earlier this morning, how long before I...

Just curious, I have a close friend who is trying to kick "the Ron" as he calls it. They have him taking suboxone, and he gives some to me sometimes when I visit. Ive never been addicted to opiates but I enjoy them from time to time. Maybe a couple times a month I'll take a few percs or vicodins. In the 6 or so years of taking them I've never had withdrawls or anything like that. I have taken Suboxone twice this month.

Anyway, my friend gave me an 8 mlgm in pill form this morning and I was wondering how long I would have to wait to take percocets or Vicodin and it have the normal effect? I was curious and googled and I have not seen any sort of agreement on this topic. I hear 72 hours, 36 hours, 24, 12, I have even seen people say 5 hours.

Does anyone here actually have a ball park figure? I have some pain killers still and just want to avoid getting sick or wasting them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

what's the supppose to mean. well anyways the last 1/2 an hr i have been sorta falling asleep while sitting down. if thats what u mean
tricomb: why would i plug or snort subs when i have 8mg tabs? whats wrong with sublingual? do u get a faster onset with snorting? I know u get higher BA & need a lower dose but its not like i im running short of supply.

Plugging subs and snorting subs both offer almost twice the bioavailability, meaning you can get by on less. When you take 8mg sublingual, only like 30% of that is absorbed, so you're really taking 2.4mg buprenorphine. Intranasal subs is something around 50%, so you could snort 4mg and get the same effects and save money and drugs.

I havent fucked with bupe for too long but two mg should get you nicely buzzed. If not try four, id imagine if you use it for more than a week straight that nice opiate glow will leave. So far iv been on it for four days straight and it still hits me nicely. The buzz is pretty strong but it gives you a way more noddy feeling than other opies. I always fall asleep on it mid day.

^^Ive been told that taking doses below 2mg are stronger because u'r getting effected by bupe & its metabolite norbupe which is more recreational. At 4mg the bupe would have saturated your opiate receptors including those that nobupe needed for u to feel any effects from it.
i want to know the exact dose when norbupe starts to become inactive dur to bupe saturating to many opiate receptors.

i dont know if this is BS or not. maybe 4mg is stronger than 2mg & what i said is just some myth

have u had experience in 4mg being stronger than 2mg?
in general what have ppls experience been with different dosages?
which doses gave u the most euphoria?

Last edited:
Everyone is different, but generally speaking you shouldn't have to wait much longer than 48hrs, almost certainly not more than 72hrs... Then again, the situation is more nuanced than that. Enjoy :)

So you took 8mg of suboxone this morning? pretty high dose for someone who is using it recreationally... and you're not sick or anything?

The more suboxone you take, the more you'll have to wait before it's all out of your system and full agonists will have their normal effects. So, if you did take the whole 8mg, you probably have to wait 24-48 hours, depending on what kind of opioid you plan on (ab)using.

If you are going to indulge in a "weaker" (less binding affinity to your opioid receptors) opioid such as hydrocodone/vicodin, you'll probably have to wait longer than not (i.e. 48+hrs) to get the effects you want. However, with strong opioids (high affinity to your receptors) such as oxycodone or heroin, you won't have to wait as long (24-48hrs - but you'll still have to wait, and it's all still dosage/personal chemistry dependent).

TBH the first time I used suboxone (recreationally), I took just a lil bit, maybe 1mg tops. I wasn't able to get the desired effects out of my doc at the time, hydrocodone, for almost a whole week. And even then, I feel like it took a longer time than that to really enjoy the hydro like I used to... but then again, who knows.

A good point to always make: Everyone is different. And, although I don't advise this, you can always try compensating for the suboxone being in your system with taking more of your full agonist... As in, if you normally like the effects of 20mg of oxycodone, try taking 30-40mg, as that is likely to almost get you to where you want to be. this can be dangerous though, as using more opioids than not is rather dangerous and unpredictable given your situation. And I this is going to be almost certainly a waste with opioids that have a lower affinity to your receptors, such as hydrocodone.

IF you do decided to go this route, still MAKE sure you start with your normal dose and work your way up. It's been said before and will be said countless times again (or something to this effect): you can always take more, but you can't take back what's already entered your blood stream. And no, the administration of something like Narcan to bring one out of w/d is not fun... But I digress...

If you have a ready source/supple of opioids, I'd suggest a little experimentation. Try taking your normal dose after 24-48hrs. You probably won't get where you wanna be, but one never knows till one tries, right?

What I would do in your case is just wait as long as possible to indulge. The more time you put between your full agonist and the use of suboxone, the more you'll enjoy the full agonist.

The biggest question that would help, other than how much suboxone you used and your ROA (route of administration/how you used it) would be what kind of opioid you're planning of (ab)using and what dosages you'd normally take?

(as stated, you'll have to wait longer to take vicodin than percocet, but you'll still have to wait a good while for the percs too.. unless you don't have a tolerance and try taking like 60mg oxycodone/12 percs at once... you'd probably feel that 24hrs after the fact... but again, doing such would almost certainly be stupid and irresponsible, if not a direct thread to your health and wellbeing, not to mention life... well, assuming you've never done it before and don't know yourself and your relationship to opioids like the back of your hand, and I'm assuming, given your question, this is not quite the case)

Oh, my fingers... fucking hell. I think I hear mr. dilaudid knocking at my door :) sorry, that shouldn't make any sense... 'night

^^Ive been told that taking doses below 2mg are stronger because u'r getting effected by bupe & its metabolite norbupe which is more recreational. At 4mg the bupe would have saturated your opiate receptors including those that nobupe needed for u to feel any effects from it.
i want to know the exact dose when norbupe starts to become inactive dur to bupe saturating to many opiate receptors.

i dont know if this is BS or not. maybe 4mg is stronger than 2mg & what i said is just some myth

have u had experience in 4mg being stronger than 2mg?
in general what have ppls experience been with different dosages?
which doses gave u the most euphoria?

When in the bloodstream (factoring in ROA and bioavailability, so like 8mg snorted would get about 4mg in the bloodstream, minus margin of human error) , yes 4mg will have higher levels of buprenorphine, and much less norbuprenorphine, so if you're looking for euphoria, you're going to want to try sub-milligram doses, with plenty of time between redosing because 1) buprenorphine takes a while to peak, and 2) if you take too much buprenorphine right off the bat, you'll ruin the metabolism of norbuprenorphine.

Make sense? Euphoria: getting 0.25-0.5mg in your blood stream. This can be achieved roughly by (using proper technique, do not swallow spit, allow tablet to disintegrate as the manufacturer intended) taking 2mg suboxone via sublingual, with only 30% of that if your lucky getting ~0.5-0.6mg buprenorphine into your bloodstream. A small amount of ethanol swished around your mouth while doing the sublingual dosing can increase BA to 50-60%.

I personally would administer it rectally, as I would be saving a lot of money and suboxone (rectal BA: ~54% so its almost twice sublingual's BA easily, plus instant onset and long duration, there's no point in IVing buprenorphine when you can plug it if it's onset you're seeking), or intranasally, and expect a intranasal BA of ~50%.
You can choose which ROA is best for you based on preference, availability of suboxone, etc. They're all about 50% (if you use ethanol w/ sublingual), so write off half of what you take as a loss.

TL ; DR The key is to have minimal amounts of buprenorphine in your bloodstream so factor in your ROA and make sure you dose enough to get 0.25-0.5mg buprenorphine in your bloodstream, be it by taking 1mg rectally or 2mg sublingually, rough estimates, your mileage will vary.. Recreational buprenorphine above 2-4mg in the bloodstream IMO adds nothing and antagonizes the desired norbuprenorphine.

Basically what you are doing is taking the doses of buprenorphine prescribed for chronic pain (0.2mg, 0.4mg) but just a little higher (0.25mg, 0.5mg) and that's the sweet spot for buprenorphine.