• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Heroin laced with fentanyl, has no heroin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Bluelighter
A few recent news articles

Wilmington, DE.

3 on Heroin were 'Close calls'

One man keeled over Saturday in a Wilmington parking lot. Another man collapsed in his Ogletown home. The third lost consciousness as he drove on U.S. 13 near Minquadale.

All three were near death with suspected heroin overdoses when paramedics arrived, New Castle County Emergency Medical Services Sgt. Kelli Starr-Leach said.

"They were all close calls," she said.

Authorities say any or all of Saturday's overdoses may be related to what police believe is a batch of extra-potent heroin, possibly mixed with fentanyl, a heavy anesthetic. Since April 14, overdoses killed at least 14 in Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey -- at least five in New Castle County alone.

Delaware's last death was a 25-year-old found dead Friday in her Westgate Farms home, in the Mill Creek area.

The unidentified men found Saturday were hospitalized after paramedics administered a drug that counteracts the effects of heroin, she said. Their conditions were not disclosed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man charged after heroin overdose

Wilmington, DE
Heroin overdoses in Wilmington and New Castle County continued during the past two days, resulting in drug charges against at least one victim who will be arrested following his release from the hospital.

A warrant was issued Monday for Edwardo Quiroga, 23, of the first block of University Ave., near New Castle, on charges of heroin possession and possession of drug paraphernalia, police said.

New Castle County paramedics who went to Quiroga's home about 6:30 p.m. Sunday found him unresponsive due to a heroin overdose but managed to stabilize him, they said. Quiroga was taken to Christiana Hospital.

Officers with a search warrant later found four bags of heroin labeled "King Kong" in Quiroga's bedroom, along with five hypodermic needles, which prompted the drug charges.

Quiroga was one of four people saved by paramedics Sunday and Monday.

Wilmington police found a 41-year-old man unresponsive Sunday night inside an apartment in the 800 block of N. Market St.

Monday morning, Wilmington officers investigated the apparent heroin overdoses of a 47-year-old man in the 1600 block of W. Fifth St. and a 54-year-old man in the 4300 block of Miller Road.

Wilmington police Master Sgt. Steven Elliott said the overdoses are tied to a batch of heroin mixed with fentanyl, a potent painkiller used in surgeries that heightens the drug's effect.

All four of the people who overdosed on the drug during the weekend are expected to make full recoveries, Elliott said. The bad heroin has been linked to five deaths in New Castle County since April 22.

Wilmington drug officers and detectives are continuing to crack down on drug dealers in an effort to locate the source, officials said. County police spokesman Cpl. Trinidad Navarro said that in the past 10 days, county paramedics have responded to 22 cases of heroin overdoses.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heroin's Hell

WILMINGTON -- Robert I. Bovell Jr.'s eyes flickered down briefly before he said how police found his brother.

"Face-down on the ground in an alley at Second and Broom ... dead from an overdose with the fresh needle marks in his arm."

The death of 38-year-old Neil "Jai" Bovell, of Wilmington -- one of seven Delaware fatalities tied to a purer-than-usual batch of heroin and the painkiller fentanyl -- is a scenario experts say is being repeated nationwide.

More than 30 people have been killed by such overdoses across the country since mid-April -- 15 in Philadelphia alone -- and hundreds more have been hospitalized, according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency.

"This is murder in the first degree," said New Castle County Councilman Jea Street.

Law enforcement and other agencies must use whatever resources are needed to "get these murderers and this killer drug off the street," he said, but the solution must be found beyond city, county or state levels.

In separate appeals Wednesday, the Interdenominational Ministers Action Council in Wilmington and a group of city, county, state and federal law enforcement and service agencies -- led by Mayor James M. Baker -- urged unity behind efforts to educate the public about deadly risks of heroin and to help users get recovery services they need.

New Castle County paramedics have responded with police and firefighters to more than 100 suspected overdoses since the rash began, said Chief Lawrence E. Tan, chief of the county's Emergency Medical Services.

Many of the calls -- all requiring full response and advanced life support -- come in as cardiac arrest, breathing difficulties, loss of consciousness or car accidents, and each one is a case of life and death, he said.

Cracking down on sources

Wilmington Police Department Inspector Martin Donahue said officers have been interviewing those who survive overdoses -- and many drug arrests and seizures have resulted, including one dealer arrested April 28 in possession of bags of pure fentanyl.

State prosecutor Steve Wood said heroin users need to know they are making a dangerous choice -- one which could kill them -- when they choose to use the drug.

To dealers, he said, "We're coming after you, we're going to catch you and we're going to put you away."

Assistant special agent in the Drug Enforcement Agency Barbara Roach said the federal agency also is "aggressively pursuing" the sources of the drugs.

Roach, in charge of the Philadelphia Field Division including Delaware, said Philadelphia has had more than 70 overdoses and 15 deaths; Harrisburg had 20 overdoses and four deaths, and Camden, N.J., had 70-plus overdoses, six deaths. Many involved fentanyl, she said, adding, "It's about 100 times more potent than morphine."

Days in Shooters Alley

"The medical examiner said, he told me there was no heroin in him," Bovell said, walking to where his brother died. "It was pure fentanyl in his system."

His brother was found at about 7:30 a.m. April 25 in the alley between boarded, vacant houses in the 200 block of Broom St. Police went there after a neighbor complained of a foul odor. Another neighbor said she saw him go back into the alley two days earlier.

"They call this Shooters Alley," Robert Bovell said, walking on empty drug bags, plastic beverage caps used to heat heroin and discarded lighters. He stepped over other debris ranging from human feces to condoms, and window boards pulled from buildings by those who would find shelter inside after their highs wore off.

In this spot, backed by a park where neighbors say drugs are common, Bovell said his brother sat on the back stoop of a house where a little old lady once kept a tidy home and lovely gardens.

"He was like this," Robert Bovell said, leaning over as if holding a syringe in one hand to his other arm -- the junkie's pose. "One to eight seconds, he was dead," Bovell said.

From other heroin users who attended his brother's funeral Saturday and from interviewing people he knows from his work as a bail bondsman, Robert Bovell said he learned his brother may have been there with a young woman who took the needle and left. When he tried to track her down to find out where the drugs came from, Bovell said he learned that she, too, was dead of an overdose.

Wilmington police said they could not confirm those details, but are investigating the possible link between Bovell's death and that of Weslyn Baldwin, 25, found dead Friday in her Hockessin-area home.

Hoping to spare others such grief and help users stop drugs, Bovell joined the ministers' call to action Wednesday.

Clergy get involved

The ministers called for more community policing, employment and recreation programs, and federal action to fight the flow of illegal drugs. And they said action is needed now, before more lives are lost and summer idleness leads more young people into drug dealing, use and addiction.

"There is a serial killer loose in our community," said the Rev. Silvester Beaman.

Renee Beaman, director of the Beautiful Gate Outreach Center, said the recent overdoses also point out "the direct connection between heroin use and the risk of HIV infection."

The Rev. H. Ward Greer, ministers council president and pastor of Ezion-Mount Carmel United Methodist Church, where the group met Wednesday, said Delaware's most-recent overdose death was next door to the 201-year-old church.

Driving into the church lot Tuesday, Greer saw a body in the lot beyond a fence, "and I knew what I saw lying on the ground was one of the victims of this so-called 'laced heroin.' "

The Rev. Maurice Moyer said stopping the trend will require international muscle on supplying countries.

He, the Rev. Tyrone Johnson and others also offered condolences to the Bovells and other grieving families, and encouraged Delawareans to support them -- as well as those still suffering in addiction -- with compassion and prayer.

A difficult life

Jai Bovell was getting in trouble before he quit high school. His issues were drug-related, petty crime, threatening folks who owed him money. Many times, his brother searched for him, sometimes finding him in Shooters Alley.

Robert Bovell said his brother just got out of jail April 21, after serving six months for violating probation on a charge from the 1980s.

Robert Bovell said his brother told him he was ready to fix his life -- and Robert Bovell believed him.

In Mexico for work, Robert Bovell had his staff post his brother's bail. He planned to help him get into a drug rehab program when he got home, but his trip ended early with the call his brother was dead. Now, despite the family's grief, Bovell said, "at least I know where he is. ... He's in a better place."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can find the articles at :
- "3 on Heroin were 'Close Calls'" - http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060430/NEWS/604300403/1006
- "Man charged after Heroin Overdose" - http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060502/NEWS/605020341
- "Heroin's Hell" - http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060504/NEWS/605040382
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sucks..

"To dealers, he said, "We're coming after you, we're going to catch you and we're going to put you away." "

don't you love how they always say shit like this?

Bags of pure fentanyl? I doubt that somehow, damn dealer would be a corpse the moment he packed the bags.

Hmmm, I've had King Kong in Baltimore and I can't say I'm experienced with fent. but that dope was good as hell. I just get scramble but it had nice tan chunks of dope in there and it packed a wallop.....long lasting high. Had the signature dope scent as well.

Limpet_Chicken said:
Bags of pure fentanyl? I doubt that somehow, damn dealer would be a corpse the moment he packed the bags.

True, but I think what they mean is that there is no actual heroin in the bags it's just Fentanyl and cut. I'm not sure, but it is quite possible. I haven't had any of the bags in question(I live just outside Philadelphia) but it's relatively easy to tell if it's Fent only from the rush and the high. Fentanyl lacks that long lasting organic feeling high that heroin delivers in favor of a shorter lived chemical experience with a massive rush but then no legs.

I don't know what the whole story is but I hope that people reading this realize the importance of doing a test shot of the stuff before doing it. People get accustomed to similar potency and amount and then when something different/more potent comes around, they do their normal dose and fall out. It's great press for the dealers so they don't mind losing a couple of customers. That's what we deal with when we use illegal substances, but there are ways to do it more safely. I never do a bag without doing a test shot and it has (so far at least) saved me. I've ecountered some particulary strong batches that would have put me down for the count if I didn't test and realize how strong they were. Be careful out there!

DEA better act fuckin quick!

cause ive said it before, and ill say it again

2007 will be the start of the new milleniums designer fentanyl outbreaks, outbreaks that wont just occur in the USA, but worldwide, particularly australia and new zealand, the two highest profitable heroin markets in the world

these recent fentanyl sales are just the tip of the iceberg that will soon explode from under the water and bitch slap the entire worlds drug war in the face

BELEIVE DAT!

Sphinx (Afterlife) said:
DEA better act fuckin quick!

cause ive said it before, and ill say it again

2007 will be the start of the new milleniums designer fentanyl outbreaks, outbreaks that wont just occur in the USA, but worldwide, particularly australia and new zealand, the two highest profitable heroin markets in the world

these recent fentanyl sales are just the tip of the iceberg that will soon explode from under the water and bitch slap the entire worlds drug war in the face

BELEIVE DAT!

Interesting take on it, as the number of fentanyl related stories you hear is certainly increasing. What other information or insights do you have on the subject to make you think there will be a worldwide explosion of fentanyl. I know that the feds here in the US have recently taken down a fent lab, and when they catch one I'm sure there are 10 more to take it's place, but what would lead you to believe that this will explode? Do you really think that the organized narcotics groups from the middle east and south america would allow this to happen, or would they be the ones making it happen? How would this affect worldwide price and availability?

Just curious if you could elaborate a little more and explain the reasons for your assessment.

Economics is the reason, Abraxus. As long as the fentanyl manufacturers can sneak their dope into the market without the top level heroin distributors finding out who they are and killing them, you can make 100's of times more profit making fentanyl than you can growing poppies and smuggling heroin. I don't understand the reason it took until now for this to be realized.

There are a few potential reasons I can think of that it seems fentanyl disappeared for 20 years.

a) the MPTP problem may have scared underground opiate chemists away from synthetic opiate production in general (MPTP was a byproduct not of fentanyl synthesis, but of Demerol synthesis)
b) the Analog Act turned fentanyl and other designer opiates into illegal drugs instead of legal research chemicals
c) fear of law enforcement tracing it back to the manufacturer (with murder charges being pressed against them inevitably)

I overdosed on fent today, i should be dead. I made a thread devoted to identifying bags sold as heroin that are fentanyl. I agree that fent is way more profitable especially if it is manufactured within the US. I hope this dosent become a trend because junkies are dying left and right.

robatussin said:
I overdosed on fent today, i should be dead. I made a thread devoted to identifying bags sold as heroin that are fentanyl. I agree that fent is way more profitable especially if it is manufactured within the US. I hope this dosent become a trend because junkies are dying left and right.

Shit Robatussin, I'm glad you made it okay, that's pretty scary. It's a real problem right now. Be careful. I'm definately trying to leave the dope alone right now because of this.

Coolio - Thanks for the interestig breakdown. Makes a lot of sense. I guess I never really thought of it in those terms. I just hope that this doesn't lead to even more OD's. Although, hopefully it will lead to Narcan becoming widely available to junkies that need it. If it was, there would be many fewer OD's from Fentanyl or Heroin. I don't see why they can't give it out at the needle exchanges and meth clinics.

Abraxus said:
Interesting take on it, as the number of fentanyl related stories you hear is certainly increasing. What other information or insights do you have on the subject to make you think there will be a worldwide explosion of fentanyl.

Because its already started, it started in europe in 2000, controlled by russian mafia I suspect, its starting in the USA in 2006, controlled by dominican/colombian USA domestic organizations (judgng by all the east coast OD's), but by 2007, the derivatives will show up, and those are what are gonna fuck the entire drug war, at least, the entire war against opiates, good thing theyre the best drug, opioids win

read some INCB reports
http://ar2004.emcdda.europa.eu/en/page070-en.html

In 2002, Sweden made 2 seizures of fentanyl, in 2003, they made 23 seizures... thats a sign of syndication

Also in 2002, Finnish authorities interecepted something like 13 KILOGRAMS of 3-methylfentanyl, the street value of which is worth well over 10 BILLION FUCKIN DOLLARS

In 2004, the INCB reported the seizure of FORTY ONE KILOGRAMS OF FENTANYL in the Ukraine (I posted pictures of this seizure previously)

Seizures of fentanyl and methylfentanyl were reported again in 2003 in Estonia, while Latvia reported its first seizure of 3-methylfentanyl in 2003 and Austria its first seizure of fentanyl in January 2004. In Estonia, the poor quality of the heroin available on the local market has been compensated for since 2002 by the introduction of these two synthetic opiates, under the names ‘white Chinese’, ‘white Persian’ or ‘synthetic heroin’

What I dont get, is why we arent hearing about massive OD epidemics in europe? You know why, cause the guys moving it actually took the time to cut it properly, not like these USA street thugs, these russian guys are the MASTERS of 3-methylfentanyl, and fentanyl in general. In russia its called crocodile, and its supposedly very common, and has been common since the start of the new millenium, around the same time the afghanistan heroin markets got very weak

fentanyl is as beautiful as it is terrifying, its a combination of unimagineable wealth and unimagineable devastation, it is literally a weapon of mass destruction, a WMD that anyone with a general undestanding of chemistry can produce themselves... that makes it FAAAAAR more dangerous than any nuclear bomb will ever be, worry less about Iran, and more about that 25 year old loner in his california basement suite refluxing molecules of mass destruction

Janssen is the true terrorist, they just dont know it yet. You thought the guy who discovered mustard gas was a badass... shit, you aint seen nuttin yet, the apocalypse is in PubMed.

Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post that. I just hope it doesn't fuck with the availability of actual heroin, because nothing replaces that. Fentanyl is nice for the rush, but I much prefer the real thing.

This stuff has been around Chicago for a few months now. At least thats when I seen it in the news. (I dont use dope) ODs are in the news left and right. Just a couple days ago there was a story on the news about a garage on the west side were it was being givin away free. (yes, free!!) Made me think of Tyrone Biggums and the 5 O'clock free crack givaway. They had EMS and hazmat on the scene, because 15 people ODd in the garage and it was completely littered with needles. A friend of mine who is an EMT said she has been giving Narcane a lot more then usual lately, and of course the patients are pissed because you fucked up thier high. I see this trend continuing to grow also.

me and three buddies were smokingthe gel from fentanyl transdermal patches and one of them just passes out and stops breathing. then i start to throw up over and over I end up calling 911 and they revive my friend so fentanyl is not something to fuck around with

Status
Not open for further replies.