• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Ultimate Opiate Potentiation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So according to this thread, the following substances potentiate Opiates:

#Antihistamines
(promethazine, cyclizine, diphenhydramine.....)

#CYP enzymes inhibitors:
(cimetidine, grapefruit juice...)

#NMDA antagonists
(cat's claw, ketamine, DXM, etc....)

#Muscle-relaxants
(carisoprodol/Soma, cyclobenzaprine, orphenadrine...)

#Other CNS depressants
(benzos, alcohol...)

There's also quinine.

Are there any other potentiators??

Most of them are listed here:
http://opioids.com/opiates/index.html
(best opiate potentiation webpage, with almost nothing missing)

don't forget ibogaine. I've seen information from the french company that sold ibogaine long time ago, and it mentiones that opiate analgesia is potentiated. Mind you these pills contained 15 milligrams (if i am not mistaken), not 2 grams as in detox treatments.

this thread is rolling
great job
=D
I'm on morphine and perc and hydro w/ xanax. & White Grapefruit Juice and some Benedryl. ;)

I'm nodding my ass off
peace peeps
8) %)

Nice thread guys. I find that Atarax which is an anti-histamine, potentiates any opiate very nicely, just as well as prometh or even better, i highly suggest it....

RANDOM NEWS:
Hey i just got my 2006 PDR and it says that they are still making Oxycontin 160's, whats up with that guys?

Taking promethazine with codeine, be sure to wait for the codeine to fully come on, as promethazine is a CYP-P4502D6 substrate, and will inhibit metabolism of codeine to morphine to quite a noticeable extent.

DXM is also a CYP2D6 substrate, and in this case, I wouldn't take any but a very small dose with codeine, as it will inhibit the metabolism of DXM, if taken after the codeine, and inhibit the demethylation of codeine, if taken before.

Gaz_hmmmm said:
...Grapefruit juice works for morphine, diamorphine (Heroin) and from what it seems all opi's! Though I'm not sure about methadone...

Different views about that for sure. In my opinion Bicarbonate of soda and grapefruitjuice and possibly cat's claw, are all working.

Papaverace said:

Limpet_Chicken said:
Taking promethazine with codeine, be sure to wait for the codeine to fully come on, as promethazine is a CYP-P4502D6 substrate, and will inhibit metabolism of codeine to morphine to quite a noticeable extent.

DXM is also a CYP2D6 substrate, and in this case, I wouldn't take any but a very small dose with codeine, as it will inhibit the metabolism of DXM, if taken after the codeine, and inhibit the demethylation of codeine, if taken before.

Thanks for the info, but could you please put that in words so that a non chemist could understand it? I would love to update the thread and use that info in the original post but...i cant understand a fuckin word of it past CYP-.....=D

It seems like youre a really knowledgeable person but sometimes forget that not everone else has the schooling you did or knoweldge of that shit...I for one have no fuckin clue what a substrate is, much less a CYP-P4502D6 substrate. or what demethylation is, etc. im sure other people on the site do know but i think its safe to say the average person dont and my goal here is to give useful easy to understand information so....ya know...

help a sista out...:)

Lacey K, you have grapefruit juice listed under codeine, but according to the link posted (http://opioids.com/opiates/index.html), "Tagamet and grapefruit juice will weaken codeine substantially."

edit:
While searching some old threads, I found another interesting comment:

"With Codeine, you want a CYP2D6 inducer and a CYP3A4 inhibitor. Most CYP2D6 inducers (what you want) are also CYP3A4 inducers (what you do not want...).
These substances don't potentiate Codeine...
Carbamazepine is a CYP2D6 inducer, so more Codeine is converted to Morphine
BUT is is also a strong CYP3A4 inducer, so it clears the Codeine/Morphine very quickly from your system..."

Codeine has to be converted to morphine. However, the substances that help convert codeine to morphine also get the morphine out of your system faster????

Last edited:
Just to bump the thread once more, here is another interesting comment I came up with when searching "morphine potentiate" on google:

"Any acidifying agents here is not recommended Acidifying agents such as citric acid found in grapefruit juice. In fact, the opposite is recommended. That is-alkylnizing agents such as those found in Tums/Rolaids along with CIMETADINE/Tagament not Pepcid AC Bro. Pepcid is not an alkylnizing agent neither is Cimetadine, but the way Cimetadine suppresses acid production jives really well with the metabolizing of opiates/opiods and thus, potentiates the action thereof and increases(doubles or more) the half-life of such metabolites.

Benedryl I know for a fact DOES NOT potentiate opiates/opiods. You know why it even ever came to be discussed that the youngins at Erowid weren't/aren't aware of?? It came onto the scene as a way to take tar heroin and using Bendryl and a coffee grinder you could produce a snortable form of tar chiva. So somehow it got crossed over into pharmaceutical opiates/opiods and through urban mythologicals and legends has found it's place where it is today in this present day and age."

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...ntiate+morphine+buzz&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5

redeemer said:
Grape fruit juice helps codeine metabolize into morphine instead of the inactive nor-codeine, the same concept happens with dihydrocodeine, hydrocodone and perhaps more, can't remember right now. It's preferred to make the juice yourself out of white grape fruits and including as much pulp as you can since a lot of the desirable enzymes are in that part of the grapefruit.

After finding out about this I never do the aforementioned opiates without grape fruit juice, I feel like I'm wasting some of the high if I don't (which I infact am).

From searching threads from the past, I have read quite a few of negregesic's comments, and he tends to know his stuff, saying that grapefruit juice basically wastes codeine and while it increases affects of opiates, codeine is the one exception.

Aight...im too fucked up to fix the chart now but that sounds like the jury is still out on some of this shit....So anyone else got any other interesting shit , mabye that we aint heard of before? also cant wait to see what our moderator *coughparadoxcyclecough* does with this bitch

Peace

this is a REALLY REALLY nice thread. i hope that the stuff about the grapefruit juice is true cuz im gonna try that tommorow. and the day after that, im going to try it with vodka. i FUCKING love oxycodone. I dont know if anyone else likes this drug as much as i do, but why does it make you feel so good? i never really figured this out. anyway, what i was gonna say is you guys forgot about the main thing, XANAX. I never tried grapefruit juice but xanax or any other benzodiazapine is crazyyyy with oxy.

[#NMDA antagonists
(cat's claw, ketamine, DXM, etc....)

Yeah, i'm sure using ketamine with opiates would get you higher, but you would be wasting the opiate buzz surely???
whenever i have done k i've lost about 3-4 hours, then woke up junk sick.

im wondering if xanax helps you feel better for the high as in more fucked up or if it actually allows the chemicals in opiates to be processed better so that you feel more

Cuz of course alcohol, weed, xanax, all that shit is gonna make you feel higher so in that way yes theyre potentiating, but do they actually make the opiate itself more enhanced or do they just make you feel higher cuz youre fucked up on multiple things at once...get what im sayin about the difference?

From all I gathered from searching old threads, most of the potentiators of morphine and other opiates are bad for taking with codeine. Other than that, there seems to be a lot of disagreement on when to take them.
Some say to drink the grapefruit juice 45 minutes prior to taking opiates. Others say to drink them afterwards. I searched and searched and could not find anything close to a definite answer. Some posts even suggested that the substances that are good to take with codeine are bad with morphine, and since codeine has to be converted to morphine, it's a wash, and you basically end up getting more codeine converted to morphine but the morphine leaves your system faster. Unfortunately I couldn't find any type of FAQ on here that covers this. A lot of guys on BL who seem to always know the most on the subject were in disagreement.

^Well i wish even one of em would post in here! :)

Theres some well known mega-knowledge posters on this board and i really wish they asses would come post in this thread and give us some knowledge (ha did anyone else laugh when they read that cuz havin someone "giving knowledge" means somethin a lil different to them) ;)

My favorite potentiators would have to be ketamine or xanax.

Ok, here is how it goes:

Grapefruit flavonids inhibit CYP3A4 enzymes. That means that they "stop it from working", and what it is doing is metabolizing products, changing them into forms that will leave the body (in urine).

http://www.ualberta.ca/~csps/JPPS4(3)/S.Wanwimolruk/grapefruit.htm

This is why any inhibitor of metabolic enzymes will cause average plasma concentrations to rise.

Some opiates are metabolized by the enzymes to more potent other opiates. However, it is not the 3A4 type that does this, but 2D6.

But it is questionable whether the high will correspond with the plasma concentration rise, because the high is many times experienced in correlation to the peak plasma concentration, which will not change if the elimination (metabolism) is slowed down, because 1) the inhibition is never complete, 2) the peaking is stoped by distribution into the tissues (from the plasma) even if no elimination happens at all.

Many substances that make the high feel better also don't "potentiate" really, as in cause any better pharmacological response to the opiate, but instead "synergize" with the high-response, like old-school anti-histamines that can get into the CNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.