• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

DXM - Semi Exp - Coricidin Is Bad Shit- Read Please!

KingZero

Bluelighter
Okay, I don't even know how to describe this, because Horrible doesn't even come close. I'll start from the beginning-

This happened almost exactly one month ago March 26th of 2006. Me and my brother Christopher like to trip on DXM but couldn't get a ride to the store to get any, I had knowledge that coricidin was stupid and I always have thought so but I got so addicted to it because I think it's more intense than pure DXM, my brother thinks the same so we were both looking for robo to try again... Well after failing at that I found some coricidin that I had from a long time ago, but they weren't expired so we thought what the hell. Note that my brother had taken 240mg of Avinza which is Morphine in a time release capsule about 24 hours before this, but the effects were completely worn off. Back to the report- We dosed March 25 at around 6:00pm we each took 16 tablets to just buzz off of... around 9:00pm we each took 16 more so we hit 32 tablets and the high got pretty intense on my part, and he was obviously tripping hard as hell also... this is where it's really sketchy... and hard to remember... I remember taking more boosters every now and then, but I don't remember my brother taking any. At this point I noticed something strange was going on with him, he sounded really different than normal, and his face was like blank white and somewhat green... So I got worried and told him to go and tell my Mom he had overdosed since that was what I was thinking had happened, but he refused... He told me that he could 56 (which he has before) and that he would be fine and that if I said anything he'd kick my ass... So I made him drink over 86oz' of water... thinking it would help. At this point I completely passed out... here's where it goes completely horrible... I woke up and went to wake up my brother, I poked him (I was still tripping HARD) and he wasn't responding, this is when I noticed his face was bright blue... I completely flipped and started throwing up and sweating, shaking, and I yelled for my Mom to call 911, I grabbed my brother and he was still warm and I could hear him gasping a little bit but doing this while tripping on a DXM peak was extremely horrifying... I put him on the floor and did CPR, until the paramedics got there, while giving him CPR his nose started to bleed and I couldn't get a pulse. He didn't make it. At the hospital his blood sugar was 477 which shocked me... there was no way it could've gone that high from something he ate, and there's no primary cause of death besides the fact that they couldn't get his heart pumping, it was completely shot out... I was just wanting some opinnion from someone else... please reply it would be much appreciated... I don't think I'll ever be the same from this, I quit the coricidin and haven't touched it since that day and I've had really hard headaches ever since... Anyone who's tripped hard on DXM would know how hard it is to find someone like that during a peak...

substancecode_dxm
methodcode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm real sorry to hear about that happening, and I'm really not trying to sound like a dick, but when people say DON'T DO CORICIDIN, they aren't saying it for shits and giggles. It really is dangerous.

This is one of the ingredients in Coricidin, incase you didn't know.
[from erowid]
Chlorpheniramine Maleate
High doses of Chlorpheniramine Maleate (CPM) can cause severe and life-threatening symptoms including seizures; shortness of breath or troubled breathing; weakness; loss of consciousness; severe dryness of mouth, nose, or throat; bleeding from skin, mouth, eyes, rectum, and vagina; and possibly death.
We have seen recommendations that no more than 24 mg of CPM be taken in a day.

Wow my condolences:( but what would posses you and tour brother to take such a large dose even though you stated that you knew it was bad?

Ive tried coricidin a few times, what the hell were u thinking first time 32 along with boosters? Hell 1 box puts me between reality 3 hours after taking it. And so I dont get flamed i have to include, dont take coricidin.

And now I have read your report and you have my sympathy man seriously. I just had a friend die from it, knew others who died from it as well....Watch out and dont take it.

I'm not going to lecture you on making bad decisions...it's in the past and you obviously have suffered a great deal and learned from it.

My condolences though, I'm extremely sorry about your brother. :(

Thanks for the sympathy, a few things to reply to--- " what the hell were u thinking first time 32 along with boosters? Hell 1 box puts me between reality 3 hours after taking it. And so I dont get flamed i have to include, dont take coricidin." It wasn't our first time, we both had huge tolerances and the thing was we knew it was bad but we were so addicted to it, and also at the time I was really depressed and so was he so we didn't exactly care the thought of death didn't cross either of our minds, that's what pushed us to do it. I'm really bothered by the fact that I weigh less than him, I took more than him, and I had less of a tolerance than him, and I lived... I don't know... I like to think these things happen for a reason...

^Im very sorry to hear of this even man seriously lol I shouldnt have prolly put that in my post. I do know of people that use coricidin as their DXM source and trust me, they go through 2 1/2 boxes (telling u what they do, something I will never attempt) each trip.

Yeah, don't worry about it... It was stupid, I knew we shouldn't have resorted to coricidin as a DXM source and we did because we didn't care, neither of us EVER thought one or both of us would die... So you have nothing to apologize for, it's sad and I've learned so much from it, it basically opened a whole new side of me.

I'm sorry man, stay healthy and good luck with everything.

I know it's cliche, but you should probably talk to someone about this, your family at the very least, a greif counselor or something would probably help too.

I've taken coricidin a couple times, and felt terrible each time because I knew I was rolling the dice.

Had a recent friend found dead after she took coricidin, someone else i know had their brother die from coricidin. Dont really have any other friends dead from any other drugs either, that tells the good chance of risk with coricidin. But dying from something like that is not meant to be ;s

Very sorry to hear about your brother... I can't even imagine what that must be like. I'd just like to add to the anti-Coricidin sentiment. I took Coricidin about 10 times over a summer years ago, at doses of no more than 8 pills (yes, only 8, I can't imagine 24). The last experience was a very rough and frightening trip, and afterwards, I felt stupid and depressed for months, like my brain had been fried. Now, I am extremely intolerant to any amount of DXM and my body reacts quite negatively to drowsy antihistamines. I mean, I took 20mg of DXM (low therapeutic dose) in cough syrup for a cold two years ago, which was 2 or 3 years after my coricidin days, and I was depressed, apathetic, and unable to think about anything in detail for a good 14-16 hours. Not to mention the creepy-ass body buzz. Needless to say, I don't take any amount of it for any reason anymore.

^ i'm the same can't even stand to look at cough & cold medicines any more. I only took coricidin once with two friends and it was 20 a whole box. It's something I and him will never forget. It was really frightening and i thought i was gona loose it when i woke up in the morning still tripping. Not to mention I couldn't piss for a whole day, I thought it had fried my bladder. Something I never wana experience ever again. My condolonces and r.i.p. to your bro..

Thanks for the comments everyone. Today the Medical Examiner reports came in and here's what the lady said - The levels of the DXM and CPM (antihistamine) were so high that even if the Morphine wouldn't have been in his system he still would've died... His heart was shot out, and his brain was pretty hammered also from past use... The primary cause of death was Heart Failure and Lung problems (they were more specific but it's really hard to explain)- This really put my Dad at ease because he's the one who's on Morphine for chronic pain because he has to have surgery, right now he's on methadone treatment to get off of it and he felt really guilty because my brother took his Morphine... It's good to know he didn't contribute to it... And also I went to the doctor and I have partial damage to the frontal lobe of my brain luckily it's not permanent... And the other day I took 2 benadryls for extremely bad allergies and something weird happened, it like doped me out and I've taken 4 before for allergies and gotten no physical effects but the other day it made me loopy... Strange...

would you like this moved to the dark side? i suspect the good people in tds would offer some useful thoughts on this saddening matter.

KingZero - My condolences for the loss of your brother. The time for lecturing and such has unfortunately passed, so all there is left to say is that I'm sorry for your loss.

I also think that it's incrediby brave for you to post this here. It mus have been difficult, but its very good that you decided to post this here if not for yourself, than as a warning for others. I would refer anyone who is thinking of using Coricidin recreationally to this thread.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss. I know it doesn't seem like it, but it will get easier. I'll echo the sentiment of another poster and suggest that you consider some grief counseling to help you through this.

Take care.

for the benadryl making you loopy... its also a sleep aid. i think you will be ok.

Yeah, I'm seeing a counselor, who lost a lot of friends to it so he sort of understands, I posted this thread for people to be warned, that when it says on drug websites and the media says "That shit isn't to be messed around with" they fucking mean it, I was stupid enough to ignore it I hope no one else does after reading this because it can happen to anyone... Not to mention I had a friend go partially blind after bleeding from the eyeballs after dosing coricidin so don't do it. (I found out the bleeding eye thing after my brother died, if I would've known before hand we wouldn't have done it that night.)

So you actually confirmed frontal lobe damage? I've always suspected I sustained minor to moderate brain damage during my Coricidin use... :\

I hope you can gain some measure of peace that your posting here has probably deterred at least a few kids from taking Coricidin, if not more.