Completed [GBR] Long-term effects of ketamine use

How exactly would you go about doing urine samples for subjects that were outside of the UK?

^
Ideally, the study will take place at University College London (off Tottenham Court Road).

Looks like this is for people in the UK (London, specifically) only.

This is legit - I was a participant in a study at this university several years ago. I'd encourage anyone who is able to, to sign up for this.

Good luck Justin, hope you find some willing participants.

Oh ok thanks for clarifying that. I didn't read that far down in the post.

Was gonna volunteer myself, but I guess I can't.

i'm going to make this a sticky so it doesn't fall off the page.

i'd participate but i'm not in london :(

good luck and post the results up when finished, i'd be very interested in seeing them.

Hi,

Thanks for your interest. Yes, unfortunately the study is only accessible for people who live in or near London (UK). It would be great to be able to do it online, but there are methodological problems with that.

If anyone has any questions that they want to ask, either about the study, or in relation to confidentiality, please ask.

Thanks for reading,

Justin

hmm, come to think of it, this may be better suited for European and African Drug Discussion as you'll find lots more possible participants. i'll leave a copy here just in case, though :)

~*geNeRaTiOn E*~ said:
hmm, come to think of it, this may be better suited for European and African Drug Discussion as you'll find lots more possible participants. i'll leave a copy here just in case, though :)

Thank you!

Hi,

This seems very interesting and i wish you good luck with it.
But i just cant see how you will be comparing both groups?

will both groups be administered drugs before the tasks with one group including some k? and compared to placebo?

otherwise i cant see how the results may be relevant. unless your placebo group are such a close demographic match for the drug useing groups, which is probably impossible to find since the placebo i assume will be non users.

And even if you just want to find the differances without placebo as baseline, id still think drug administration, then monitoring during and for a few days after will give you most accurate results on k use effects.

i know i sound very pessimistic but let me explain myself, i know quite a few people who are regular users and some love k and some hate k.

and there are very successfull healthy groups from both crowds and also looser drop outs who just wanna get high in life with zero ambition for anything. this leeds me to believe there is a lot more going on in in these people brains AND lives than their choice of drug and how it affects them.

lastly, a friend of mine once spent a whole month in the gym doing a couple of bumps each time he went, and he actually improved his stats and didnt feel any negatives, while i on the other hand dont trust my brain-muscle connection while on k.

something to think about,

good luck :)

djremix said:
Hi,

This seems very interesting and i wish you good luck with it.
But i just cant see how you will be comparing both groups?

will both groups be administered drugs before the tasks with one group including some k? and compared to placebo?

otherwise i cant see how the results may be relevant. unless your placebo group are such a close demographic match for the drug useing groups, which is probably impossible to find since the placebo i assume will be non users.

And even if you just want to find the differances without placebo as baseline, id still think drug administration, then monitoring during and for a few days after will give you most accurate results on k use effects.

i know i sound very pessimistic but let me explain myself, i know quite a few people who are regular users and some love k and some hate k.

and there are very successfull healthy groups from both crowds and also looser drop outs who just wanna get high in life with zero ambition for anything. this leeds me to believe there is a lot more going on in in these people brains AND lives than their choice of drug and how it affects them.

lastly, a friend of mine once spent a whole month in the gym doing a couple of bumps each time he went, and he actually improved his stats and didnt feel any negatives, while i on the other hand dont trust my brain-muscle connection while on k.

something to think about,

good luck :)

Hi,

I'm comparing three groups of people:

1. people who use k
2. people who use drugs (but not k)
3. peope who don't use drugs.

We hope to be able to match the groups on gender, age, years in education, and possibly pre-morbid IQ. Although this isn't perfect, it does remove some of the obvious confounding variables.

People aren't being given any drugs when they take part in the study, we're just seeing if there is a differnce in each group's performance on different tests, and their personal experiences. Previous controlled studies have given drug-niave people some k and monitored them at the time and three days later - that gives us an idea about what to look for and what to expect now that we are looking at people who use it recreationally.

I hope this answers some of your queries.

Cheers, Justin

PS. If anyone who fits group 2 or 3 is interested in taking part, please contact me!

Justin Grayer said:
Hi,

I'm comparing three groups of people:

1. people who use k
2. people who use drugs (but not k)
3. peope who don't use drugs.

We hope to be able to match the groups on gender, age, years in education, and possibly pre-morbid IQ. Although this isn't perfect, it does remove some of the obvious confounding variables.

People aren't being given any drugs when they take part in the study, we're just seeing if there is a differnce in each group's performance on different tests, and their personal experiences. Previous controlled studies have given drug-niave people some k and monitored them at the time and three days later - that gives us an idea about what to look for and what to expect now that we are looking at people who use it recreationally.

I hope this answers some of your queries.

Cheers, Justin

PS. If anyone who fits group 2 or 3 is interested in taking part, please contact me!

does it matter when the last time they used was(if any?) or will both 1st 2nd group be drug free for a week maybe?

sorry just asking.

djremix said:
does it matter when the last time they used was(if any?) or will both 1st 2nd group be drug free for a week maybe?

sorry just asking.

it is something that might have an impact. in the drug history we ask people how long it has been since using different drugs, so we can statistically control for this if we need to.

anyone want to take part - it's pretty slow at the moment, so any volunteers would be great.

Cheers,

Justin

Hope you find enough people for the study. I'd volunteer but i'm in the U.S.ofA.

Never used ketamine..? Paid UCL thesis

Hi Everyone,

You may have seen the thread on the European and African Drug Discussion board about my thesis into the effects of ketamine on semantic memory and personal experiences...

If anyone is interested in takig part, I still need...

1. About 5 people who do not and have not used drugs (a few puffs of cannabis more than two years ago is alright), and

2. About 8 people who use drugs (but not ketamine) about twice a month and have done for at least one year.

Participation is confidential, takes about 1hr 30 min (for non-drug users) or 1hr 45min (for people who do use drugs) and you will be paid 15 pounds sterling. You will complete word based computer tasks, questionnaires, give a drug history and a urine sample.

The study can take place at UCL (central London) or at your home (depending on distance and cost), and can take place during day time or evenings.

If you would like anymore information please contact me via PM or [email protected]

Thank you for reading,

Justin

I'm in.

'About 8 people who use drugs (but not ketamine) about twice a month and have done for at least one year.
'

I'd prefer to do it from home.