• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Do you still get good grades, while using drugs?

If drugs effect your grades in anyway I really feel you shouldn't be using them. I'm a user and I make B's. I also made B's when I wasn't a user. It's all about self control.

Yeah, I left highschool with a 3.7 having been a tweaker my senior year. Currently at the beginning of my sophmore year at college on academic probation with shit for a GPA and I haven't taken a course yet that I wasn't capable of acing. I turned out a 31 on my ACT while tweaked and a 30 sober. All I did my freshman year was smoke pot and whatever else was affordable/offered.

I also procrastinate regardless of sobriety to an extreme degree (ex: starting a 7 page paper 4 hours before it is due). I think my procrastination is most likely caused by the fact that since meth life seems relatively uneventful and unexciting; so I wait for the last second on everything and put myself into impossible situations to bring some excitement manifested as tension/pressure in my day to day life. So yeah, drugs definately hurt the academic aspirations.

IN high school I started doing drugs and still maintained A's and B's. I got a 31 on my ACT on drugs too. Im in my soph year at college now and I kind of let drugs take precedence oer my studies towards the end of the year last year. but I think that you can still do drugs and make school work out, you just have to make sure you keep your priorities straight and never lose your motivation.

remember if you do good in college and get a realy high paying job you can do LOTS of drugs!!!and go more places! (at least thats my theory)

brothermarcus said:
druqks/partying meant terrible grades for me, but they were only part of the equation at the time... i was making bad choices all around.

partying g.p.a. - 1.17
non-partying g.p.a. - 3.78

lmao mine is almost identical

non-partying 3.6
partying 1.7

this semester I'm going to try and balance the two a little better and hopefully stay above a 3.0

I drink a few times a week, smoke pot a few times a week.

I don't take pills at all during the semester, but I take trips whenever I can get my hands on them.

Last semester I got three high distinctions and a distinction.

My average is slightly above distinction.

Conclusion: You can take drugs and get good marks, you just have to work hard. Of course, you usually have to work hard to get good marks anyway.

Take drugs for fun, not to avoid schoolwork.

Yeah drugs effect the quality of work I produce during the working semester.. It's weird I haven't stopped doing drugs just changed to ones that are potentially more benificial to my uni work.

Instead of speed or coffee I now take modafinil - that stuff is awesome if you need to stare at books or a computer screen for up to 6hrs with no break.

Instead of pot I take a valium or xanax before going to bed.. not too much just enough to take the edge off and give me a good night sleep with no benzo hangova in the morning (though I may have purposfully knocked myself out with the stuff on the odd occasion as soon as a major assignment is handed in, a little award for a job well done ;) )

I can still do the big weekends but I have to be real picky about when to have them. If I have one a week before shit is due it's a recepie for hadcore mind trauma, and fucks my memory good.

I've learnt pot is a killer! When I used to smoke all the time and still get good grades I always thought it wasn't affecting my work. Now that I smoke only occassionally I can actually think fast and talk coherently in class! Pot just chills you out way too much

The periods of my life where I was using coke/meth a lot showed a significant drop in my GPA. Late in my junior year in high school I came out of my two year funk and started putting the pieces of my life back together.

I'm taking a very difficult courseload at the moment, while managing fairly good grades (with the exception of a calculus grade that can be explained away).

I think it really has to do with your attitude and your drugs of choice more than anything.

all i can say is that my gpa was just above 0.0 while i was doing drugs and now that im not (due to probation etc) my gpa for this last summer was 3.4, and it looks like it will be higher than that if things keep going the way they are this fall.

I started smoking weed when I'd finished with my AA and started on my BA. Oddly enough, I actually raised my cumulative GPA of 3.68 from community college to a 3.75 overall during this period of time. I even graduated Summa Cum Laude, to boot. Damned evil weed ruining my life and shattering any chances I may have had to succeed!

I've made Dean's List a few times at college, despite smoking many blunts. Even though smoking has helped me cope with college life it has made me stoned in general, even when I'm not smoking. I guess it matters how you feel about school and what you wish to get out of the experience. This semester I've been smoking less and my motivation has gone down. School isn't my thing these days though. I would rather do some conservation work...something that feels real to me.

i smoke about 6 times a week and use opiates regularly and i still manage to keep a 3.2 GPA.

Yes. I have a 3.9+ GPA at a well-respected university. I am a daily cannabis smoker and use psychedelics on average 8-10 experiences a year. Without cannabis to alleviate stress, I would definitely have a harder time maintaining this standard. That is just me, it seems like the opposite for most people.

Remember, association brings about assimilation. If you're hanging out with a bunch of burnouts you too will likely become similar and vice-versa. Good friends, "positive" lifestyle are conducive to good grades. But there are times when one has to do it one-deep also. If you want something bad enough - in this case, top grades - and you're willing to work for it, you're going to see success. Headspace people!

For me I had a 4.0 GPA before drugs, and even while I did practically every drug in existence.

That all changed once I started IVing heroin. A few months with that, needing to make 4 hour trips to pick up, and I was dealing.... and now I'm a dropout. When WDs are setting in, class doesn't seem to matter....

I can relate to this the most. Except I didn't use IV. Luckily I only totally fucked up 1 semester, and am back on track now. I had a 3.7 but then due to this past semester it's now 2.8.

I feel like I can take on anything in the world now that I'm sober. :D Currently training to be a Math Teacher and trying to get into my State's top education program.

I'm generally lazy so my grades have never been to good...

Man, I should get my shit together. I have exams tomorrow, i've studied hard and hopefully i'll do well. I'll consider going sober depending on how I feel in the morning. ;P

Some of the smartest people I have ever met have been drug users. One friend has explained different parts of quantum mechanics and philosophy to me as we smoke heroin and crack together. Other friends of mine have dropped out of school or get fired from their jobs regularly due to drugs. Its all about being a 'functional user'. Dont loose your priorities and goal. Drugs can make you feel content while doing nothing. Just remember that there is more to life. (But drugs are great, dont forget to use them either! :)

When I started blazing as a freshman, it had a very detrimental effect on my grades. After tripping on acid, I feels it has awakened a latent intellect inside me, however I've become markedly more apathetic and my grades continue to suffer. I still get Bs in AP classes but I know I could be doing so much better.

I'm not sure about all of you but I could only concentrate on my work when I was high on THC. [Not stoned out of my skull but a relaxed peaceful high]

For some reason I can't tune into my work if it doesn't interest me when i'm sober but after a few bong rips I want to do buckle down and get it done.

Whenever I get super busy I just do opiates once a week. Nothing else. Its easy to stay sober when I know at the end of the week I can get high. Its impossible for me to go full speed much more than 7 days anyway. I probably get more done with that little break.

Drinking and smoking pot probably contributed most to any difficulty I had in undergrad. I have a 3.8 in grad school and am over half way done.

I never noticed much cognitive difference between doing or not doing drugs. Other than ketamine, I don't often do drugs commonly associated with cognitive damage except for the occasional drink. After cutting way down on the amount and frequency I drink I feel much more motivated and intelligent. It had a way bigger positive effect than quiting pot did.

Plenty of lsd, dmt, and rc's. Those don't seem to have much effect though.

I'm not sure about all of you but I could only concentrate on my work when I was high on THC. [Not stoned out of my skull but a relaxed peaceful high]

For some reason I can't tune into my work if it doesn't interest me when i'm sober but after a few bong rips I want to do buckle down and get it done.

Same here. I love me a nice j before studying.

Dude, my grades rocked (college level) while I was using ....I had never had such good grades before. I ended up in the medical field and well, my grades were most surely effected by my using once that started.....anyway