• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

new worthwhile ethnobotanicals?

Xorkoth-this may sound a bit callous but your reaction is actually kind of interesting. It almost sounds like you didn't have an adverse reaction per se, but it seems the effect of sinicuichi were greatly magnified for you. I know this is unlikely but have you tried smaller doses? I know, I know, "Of course not you fool..."

there is a tree that contains alkoloids simular to iboga called voacanga africana

Nah, I didn't try it again after my experience. I couldn't put myself through that again willingly, and there's a decent chance I would if I tried. It was a lot more horrible than my experience report seems to suggest, and at least half of it was thinking I had fucked up my hearing forever. As a music lover, that would have been devastating. Of course now I know that wouldn't be the case, but still, the pain was unreal.

genaro said:
I'd like to experiment with new ethnobotanicals, meaning worthwhile ones

Valuable ethnobotanicals include:

Marijuana (of course!)
Ayahuasca (DMT plants such as psychotria, mimosa, yopo and the like and IMAO plants such as harmala and caapi)
Mescaline cactii (peyote, san pedro, peruvian torch, and other trichocerus species)
Psilocybin mushrooms
LSA seeds (morning glory, HBWR and ololiuqui)
Salvia divinorum
Iboga
Amanita muscaria (not that worthwhile but I thought I should mention it as it is definitely active)
Poppies & "opium like" plants (such as kratom, blue lotus, wild lettuce...)
Stimulating plants (such as khat, coca, ephedra, guarana..)
And let's add solanaceae plants (such as datura, brugmansia and such ) because even if these are very dangerous and quite unpleasant stuff that I wouldn't recommend to anyone, one must agree that these are still very effective stuff.

Now, does any of you have PERSONAL experience with other valuable ethnobotanicals ?
...not plants that I mentionned, not dmt plants, something really new.

I ask this questions because lots of plants descibed as "psychedelic" or "hallucinogen" turn out to be some weak uninteresting stuff or even toxic material and I'd like to know about people's own experiences with more or less unexplored plants.

What about kanna, kava, sinicuichi, coleus, lagochilus inebrians, leonotis leonorus, unripe mulberries, yohimbe, calamus, galanga, damiana, voacanga, tabernaemontana, scirpus atrovirens, silene capensis (aka xhosa dream root) and many other rare ethnobotanicals ? (the list can be quite long, just check the book "plants of the gods")

Please post if you are able to affirm that any rare ethnobotanical is VALUABLE or NOT VALUABLE.
And briefly descibe the effect: dosage and route of ingestion? stimulant? relaxant? Inebriant? euphoriant? hallucinogen? deliriant? affects dreams? any spiritual/psychedelic potential? any recreational potential? any discomfort or toxic side effects?

I've experiemnted with various ethnobotanical products- acacia maidenii extracts (DMT-no need to explain) Salvia divinorum, marijuna etc . . . Some of the other ones I've used are:

Damiana- Smoked, usually with cannabis, it seems to help potentiate some of the visusal aspects of weed, and a bit more euphoria. As a tea, it is mildly relaxing, works the same with cannabis, and definitely enhances dreams. I find it VALUABLE as it replaces tobacco in my mix, tastes nice when smoked and drunk- but really has only mild psychoactive effects.

Mugwort- similar to above, more dream enhancement though. Also used as a dream pillow. VALUABLE

Lions Tail- euphoria inducing herb, green with orange flowers. Short lasting efects that are quite mild. I've only smoked it- it seems to decrease some of the more sleepy/dopey effects of weed, but tastes shit.

Passionflower- good for mixing, makes a relaxing tea. Also works as a mild MAOI so it can increase the effects of tranquiliser drugs (people claim it can also increase the effects of psychedleics as all MAOI's do, but I don't really agree).

Kava- very relaxing, either drunk with milk or chewed. I've found it has softened the effects of LSD trips (in a valuable way). A nice muscle relaxant. I enjoy drinkinhg a heaped teaspoon or more ina shot of baileys, it seems to go nicely with a bit of alchohol. Slightly nauseating, but highly valuable. A genuine anti-anxiety natural product that appears to have very few side effects (except from habitual overuse).

California poppy- alledged to have an 'opium' like effect (it really doesnt) when smoked, and more sedtaing when drunk as a tea. I find that it does little.

Sorry to dig this up... but I've obtained some kanna powder from a good source. I was wondering from someone with experience what the best way to ingest this is, and what a good dose is as well. I have heard that insufflation of the powder is good, but I'm a bit leary of putting plant material up my nose. I'd prefer to try it orally, but does it work well that way?

Thanks! :) I feel like there was another ethnobotanicals thread somewhere that would have been better to dig up but I can't seem to find it.

^yo! i've tried various ways of using kanna.. it's said that the traditional use is to stick a pinch in your bottom lip, i used this method first, sucked on a quid while i washed boats at work, it was pretty enjoyable.. work went by great/fast, came off to me as a good mood enhancer

i tried snorting it also, didn't get much of anything from this as it was a real annoying experience, felt like a bunch of hay caught up in my nose and i ended up blowing my nose for the next 30min trying to get it all out, seems as if the effective doses weigh too much for insufflation to be very effective, unless you can withstand lots of material in your nose.. or perhaps splitting the dose out into small portions to then snort.. that i did not try though

smoking didn't do much of anything except the usual light-headedness that can probably just be attributed to inhaling smoke

swallowing quantities in the same weight as the chewing quid seemed to produce almost the same effects.. though it lasted no where near the same amount of time.. seems as if when you chew a quid you span out the alkaloids getting absorbed more efficiently over a longer period of time..

effects are subtle at first but you'll notice quite easily if you keep an eye out, good general senses of well being and and overall sense of "contentness" with whatever activity you may be doing, the stuff doesn't taste bad at all once you get the material into a ball like chewing gum, i'd try out that method and the normal oral way

Cool, I was directed to a thread at eDot to peruse and pretty much arrived at the conclusion that I should try it sublingually with a tiny quid. So I will! I'm hoping it will be a nice thing to give me a boost at work on an as-needed basis... sometimes I start to feel pretty down in the middle of the day at work, and that's where I run into troubles sometimes.

one of my favorite botanicals right now (well its actually a mix) is the spice gold smoking blend and all the spice-a-likes.
A very pleasurable high thats similar to marijuana.
poppies are great too
as are kratom, hbwr, mgs, trich cacti

blue lotus (nelumbo, not nymphea), leonotis nepetafolia and leoneurus, scelentium tortousum (and another variety I cant think of off hand) acorus calamus, anadenathera snuffs, tricho cacti, pedicularis species and many other ethnobotanicals are worth while. It seems many people get old or poor quality samples; freshness is key with all ethnos...

Salvia is a mind fuck but deff a worthwhile one if only once. It was the first drug I ever took PERIOD. Here's my trip report of my first time http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=370332

Also if you've never done it here's a video that'll give you a good idea of what a breakthrough trip is like. The video is actually about DMT but it's very similar to a salvia breakthrough. http://youtube.com/watch?v=736NKsK86UkThis is by far the best visual representation of my first breakthrough that i've ever seen

Last edited:
egor said:
blue lotus (nelumbo, not nymphea), leonotis nepetafolia and leoneurus, scelentium tortousum (and another variety I cant think of off hand) acorus calamus, anadenathera snuffs, tricho cacti, pedicularis species and many other ethnobotanicals are worth while. It seems many people get old or poor quality samples; freshness is key with all ethnos...

i DEFINATLY second the pedicularis species, specifically elephant's head (groenlandica) and indian warrier (densiflora), find a good fresh source for these buds and you'll get some potent muscle relaxation

one of my favorite ethno's alongside kratom, it's effects are easily noticeable and comfortably worthwhile

Kratom feels great. Be careful with this one folks: it can be addictive AND it will be illegal if people start abusing it.

^Its already illegal in fucken Australia; but then everything is, except drinking yourself to death. Thats actually encouraged ;)

I'm a pretty 'heavy' user of sedative herbs, such as passionflower, catnip, valerian, melissa, chammomile, scullcap etc. drunk as a tea a few times throughout the day. I don't notice strong effects per se, more just a simple calmness. Goes down nicely with a bit of weed, though I've stopped that for now (the weed).

Personally, I don't really bother with useless ethnobotanical herbs; unless they are extracts and active (obviously) its pointless. Largely, I'd say things like damiana are more culturally bound in effects, then pharmacologically. At least, I find it quite useless, except for the vague effects I mentioned earlier, which are almost nil.

Al_S_Dee said:
Kratom feels great. Be careful with this one folks: it can be addictive AND it will be illegal if people start abusing it.

Indeed... kratom is the only thing I've ever been actually addicted to... I go in and out of that, and have for 4 years. I've used plenty of opiates of all kinds, and kratom is the only one I can't ever just leave alone.

nealcassady said:
i DEFINATLY second the pedicularis species, specifically elephant's head (groenlandica) and indian warrier (densiflora), find a good fresh source for these buds and you'll get some potent muscle relaxation

one of my favorite ethno's alongside kratom, it's effects are easily noticeable and comfortably worthwhile

Have you done any trials with pedicularis procera??

Nice buzzing and analgesia, very worthwhile; I prefer the flowers and an extract to densiflora;)

genaro said:
I'd like to experiment with new ethnobotanicals, meaning worthwhile ones

Valuable ethnobotanicals include:

Marijuana (of course!)
Ayahuasca (DMT plants such as psychotria, mimosa, yopo and the like and IMAO plants such as harmala and caapi)
Mescaline cactii (peyote, san pedro, peruvian torch, and other trichocerus species)
Psilocybin mushrooms
LSA seeds (morning glory, HBWR and ololiuqui)
Salvia divinorum
Iboga
Amanita muscaria (not that worthwhile but I thought I should mention it as it is definitely active)
Poppies & "opium like" plants (such as kratom, blue lotus, wild lettuce...)
Stimulating plants (such as khat, coca, ephedra, guarana..)
And let's add solanaceae plants (such as datura, brugmansia and such ) because even if these are very dangerous and quite unpleasant stuff that I wouldn't recommend to anyone, one must agree that these are still very effective stuff.

Now, does any of you have PERSONAL experience with other valuable ethnobotanicals ?
...not plants that I mentionned, not dmt plants, something really new.

I ask this questions because lots of plants descibed as "psychedelic" or "hallucinogen" turn out to be some weak uninteresting stuff or even toxic material and I'd like to know about people's own experiences with more or less unexplored plants.

What about kanna, kava, sinicuichi, coleus, lagochilus inebrians, leonotis leonorus, unripe mulberries, yohimbe, calamus, galanga, damiana, voacanga, tabernaemontana, scirpus atrovirens, silene capensis (aka xhosa dream root) and many other rare ethnobotanicals ? (the list can be quite long, just check the book "plants of the gods")

Please post if you are able to affirm that any rare ethnobotanical is VALUABLE or NOT VALUABLE.
And briefly descibe the effect: dosage and route of ingestion? stimulant? relaxant? Inebriant? euphoriant? hallucinogen? deliriant? affects dreams? any spiritual/psychedelic potential? any recreational potential? any discomfort or toxic side effects?

I've tried lagolichus inebriens in extract form: a green oily substance that needs to be scraped out of the bag. One gram brewed as tea seemed to have an effect, on a comedown from mephedrone - it felt like a mild sedative that went well with weed. But on a combination of drugs, it could WELL have been placebo. I was too fucked up to note the tast.

Tried it again with a friend - or rather, was going to, but the tea, once brewed, proved to be utterly undrinkable. Foul, no matter how much sugar we put in - also stank of mentholated vegetarian ass. Repulsive. We poured it down the sink.

Kanna's weird - mild inebriating sedative and serotinergic fuckaround. It's a tantalising effect, which doesn't make sense: anxious but detached from the anxiety, with an elusive body buzz somewhere between guarana and hash. Said to have a reverse tolerance: continued use enhances the effects. But it's too creepy to take on a daily basis, for me at least. It's a downer, but not exactly relaxing.

So far as ingestion's concerned, the raw herb or extracts brew as a tea, which is pleasant-tasting as ethnos go. The strong extracts can b capped and swallowed. DO NOT buy it in snuff form unless you enjoy snorting dirt. And don't take it for a 5-HTP effect on X comedowns - its action's pretty raw, and you can feel incipient serotonin sydrome slowburning up, like hives.

Only tried kava once, on kratom, dumping 5g or so of 30% lactone powder into half a tub of Ben & Jerry's an some chocolate milk. STILL tasted bitter as hell. I think it added a little extra sedation, but was too zoned on 'thom FST to be sure.

Wild lettuce and Blue Lotus are subtle to a pointless extent.
Sinicuichi seems to cause frequent and painful allergic reactions.

Sorry to be so negative, but I have nothing good to report on the above. Kratom, cacti and the like are quite anoter story.

I've used kanna twice in the past 3 days... I agree with your assessment. It's kind of weird. Gave me a subtle head tension that never developed into an ache or anything. Gave me a slightly stimulating, slightly sedating buzz. I'll try it again when I'm having another bad day. But considering I feel pretty great today, I'll leave my receptors alone for a while.

a while ago i picked up some calea, skullcap, damiana, wild dagga and blue lotus... I found that a finely ground mixture of all of them twisted in a J was a very smoothing smoke... especially mixed with that dirty brick weed, man I hate that shit!! Individually I only noticed effects from the dream herb.. its possible that it caused all the effects when smoking the mixture. One night though I smoked about 2 two gram spliffs and made a tea with about 3.5 grams.. like always I passed out immediatly.. I'm never one to fight sleep, when I woke to urinate 3 hours later I was at an odd +1.5 walking to the bathroom I was very delusional.. the walls and ceiling were breathing and urinating was painfully euphoric.. does that make sense?? I was very suprised how the effects werent going away!! but again I immediatly passed back into a deep sleep.... always good dreams though!!

in fact I think I may go pick up some ethnos soon.. thanks for this thread!!

egor said:
Have you done any trials with pedicularis procera??

Nice buzzing and analgesia, very worthwhile; I prefer the flowers and an extract to densiflora;)

nope.. not by itself, i'll be able to try it soon in the near future.. i have tried it once though in the form of an extract that included:
P. densiflora
P. procera
P. racemosa
P. groenlandica
P. bracteosa

really smooth smoke.. i'm kinda drawn more towards the regular old dried flowers though, i've never really been into the extracts as i love rolling up joints of these species.. cognac papers with densiflora is great, the flavors go together pretty nicely

i seem to get a bit more out of p. groenlandica in effects compared to p. densiflora but theres something odd/pollen-y smelling about my p. groen that has me liking densiflora a bit more, densiflora's also got much more of a "fuller" flavor than the other too.. much more thicker smoke that makes it easier to smoke in joints

Xorkoth said:
I've used kanna twice in the past 3 days... I agree with your assessment. It's kind of weird. Gave me a subtle head tension that never developed into an ache or anything. Gave me a slightly stimulating, slightly sedating buzz. I'll try it again when I'm having another bad day. But considering I feel pretty great today, I'll leave my receptors alone for a while.

I had have similar experiences. For me I had this floaty head feeling, kind of as if I was wearing a really tight hat over my head all day and then finally took it off...or something.

I did have a buzz though for about 30 mins. I snorted kanna powder to feel those effects. Eating didn't have any noticeable effects.