Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

new worthwhile ethnobotanicals?

genaro

Bluelighter
I'd like to experiment with new ethnobotanicals, meaning worthwhile ones

Valuable ethnobotanicals include:

Marijuana (of course!)
Ayahuasca (DMT plants such as psychotria, mimosa, yopo and the like and IMAO plants such as harmala and caapi)
Mescaline cactii (peyote, san pedro, peruvian torch, and other trichocerus species)
Psilocybin mushrooms
LSA seeds (morning glory, HBWR and ololiuqui)
Salvia divinorum
Iboga
Amanita muscaria (not that worthwhile but I thought I should mention it as it is definitely active)
Poppies & "opium like" plants (such as kratom, blue lotus, wild lettuce...)
Stimulating plants (such as khat, coca, ephedra, guarana..)
And let's add solanaceae plants (such as datura, brugmansia and such ) because even if these are very dangerous and quite unpleasant stuff that I wouldn't recommend to anyone, one must agree that these are still very effective stuff.

Now, does any of you have PERSONAL experience with other valuable ethnobotanicals ?
...not plants that I mentionned, not dmt plants, something really new.

I ask this questions because lots of plants descibed as "psychedelic" or "hallucinogen" turn out to be some weak uninteresting stuff or even toxic material and I'd like to know about people's own experiences with more or less unexplored plants.

What about kanna, kava, sinicuichi, coleus, lagochilus inebrians, leonotis leonorus, unripe mulberries, yohimbe, calamus, galanga, damiana, voacanga, tabernaemontana, scirpus atrovirens, silene capensis (aka xhosa dream root) and many other rare ethnobotanicals ? (the list can be quite long, just check the book "plants of the gods")

Please post if you are able to affirm that any rare ethnobotanical is VALUABLE or NOT VALUABLE.
And briefly descibe the effect: dosage and route of ingestion? stimulant? relaxant? Inebriant? euphoriant? hallucinogen? deliriant? affects dreams? any spiritual/psychedelic potential? any recreational potential? any discomfort or toxic side effects?

Last edited:
From your list, I have tried Yohimbe simply because I found it OTC in a drug store when I visited the US.

I found that it did not do anything re: erection or libido, and had mild at best effects on the mind.

I guess coffee would be more convenient ;).

I haven't tried much, but from what I have read Kratom is very nice based on peoples opinion. Never tried, but it is a stimulant and a depressant and some people report that it feels similar to opiates and that the hangover is almost similar to alcohol. I myself should experiment on more botanical entheogens. Salvia was a mindfuck for me, and nutmeg was not that good. Valerian root is pretty relaxing and helps me sleep at night. My favorite is of course marijuana. ;)

Nutmeg (fresh nuts, grinded):
20g orally-> sedative (but there can be some stimulation), mild hallucinogen (quite poorly visual), little recreational potential, very little psychedelic potential, somewhat uncomfortable (dry mouth, disorientation), side effects: speedy heart beat, irregular heart beat, elevated blood pressure, bad headache, also said to be toxic to the liver. Dangerous, not recommended.

Mamillara Microcarpa var. Grahamii :
one small fresh catii (5cm tall, 4cm diameter) was dried, crushed and smoked in a pipe. Some moderate ophoria and stimulation was noted, a weak threshold (not so sure of it but I felt there was some phenethylamine touch associated with this threshold). Could be interesting trying higher dosages I think, seems to me there's some real psychedelic potential behind this one.
Possibly psychoactive Mammilara species include M.Senilis, M.micromeris, M.Microcarpia, M.Heyderii, M.Grahamii, M.craigii...

Cytisus Scoparius (aka Scotch Broom):
I made a quid out of a few fresh green stems (the ones from the top of the plant), chewed it for 5minutes (= sublingual absorption), beeing careful not to swallow any juice (as brooms are said to be poisonous if swallowed). Doesn't taste good.
Definite effects which lasted for about 1 hour: it gave me a mild "stone" but with no ophoria, feel quite relaxed and somewhat sleepy (sedative effect), head feels a bit heavy and confused, slight disorientation, slight headache at some point, slight nausea, my vision seemed very slightly increased/clearer than usual (colors may appear very slightly vivified, or better say they look slightly "clearer"...but this isn't much noticiable). I also tried smoking 0.5g of dried yellow flowers mixed with tobacco (as a joint), gave me similar effects but a little weaker (sedation/relaxation still quite present), and there was no nausea. That was a pleasant experience as I was walking in the woods and in the need of some high when I found these broom bush growing wild and suddenly reminded that I had read somewhere that this was active in some way, that was a nice surprise to me but I don't think I would repeat the experience. No recreational potential but this is a good relaxant and brooms grow wild everywhere (better use it smoked as it's completely safe this way). Warning: never swallow any as it is quite poisonous orally (toxicity is similar to nicotine).

Last edited:
I've tried yohimbe (C. yohimbe) total alkaloid extract (mostly yohimbine - from using ethanol/water mixture) and it is a quasi-psychedelic in that it does produce a mild psychedelic/stimulant type effect, but it has definite pros & cons. The pro would be touch and propioception enhancement and the con would be increased tendancy towards anxiety or manic behaviour. I'd say yohimbe/yohimbine and either a low dose of GHB/GBL (1g/0.7ml) or benzo would produce a much more effective aphrodisiac type effect.

It can give some aspects of psychedelic visuals, but not classic geometric type figures (my wife was left with an intense starburst filter type effect with anything bright). As for timing, when it comes to aphrodisiac use - drink tea/swallow capsules at the same time. When I tried it, I took mine about 5 mins before my wife and we just couldn't synchronize our moments of 'chemical lust'.

It did produce a very real but bizzare dream filled night afterwards (reminiscent of harmaline); I don't know if it's the rainforest association (Africa instead of S. America), but my dream was very vivid and was about a large powerful mammal. As I said, I don't know if the S American link of jaguars to yage type drinks influenced it a lot, but my memory of the dream is as vivid as those described for yage.

Yohimbe....stimulant and mild psychedelic effect. Very physically unpleasant.

Catnip....inactive

Damina....inactive

kava....soporofic and euphoric effect but very variable from batch to batch. ONly form that ever really worked was ordering fresh root from the Pacific.

Where I live, yohimbine can be found as a non-prescription drug at any pharmacy.

To blowmonkey: yeah, awfully similar....so strange the same person posted the other thread uh?

Anyway it seems we're getting lots of interesting answers (especially as people talk from personal experience)...could be a useful remake of the previous thread.

Do you want me to tell you a secret Blowmonkey? I can tell you a secret but you must first promise you won't close this thread if I tell u my secret...here's my secret: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=172257&highlight=iboga hahahaha ;-)

...sounds like utterly disgraceful provocation of gratuitous nature but it's not...or maybe it is...but there's no evil in it :)

Last edited:
to mgs: yeah my kava resin extract (supposed to be 60% kavalactones) was nothing but sedative, disapointed me. But I heard many reports of people saying that good quality kava root is nice...did good quality kava have any spiritual potential in your own experience?

Me and some of my mates noticed that damiana had mild (as in very mild) sedative effects, but thinking about that now I suspect it might have been a placebo effect.. The stuff is good for a substitute of tobacco in joints, if you are not a smoker. It has a pleasant taste and its smoke is mild.

genaro said:
to mgs: yeah my kava resin extract (supposed to be 60% kavalactones) was nothing but sedative, disapointed me. But I heard many reports of people saying that good quality kava root is nice...did good quality kava have any spiritual potential in your own experience?

It produces a rather talkative and euphoric state for me. My girlfriend enjoys feeding me kava...I guess to her it is like making me drunk (I detest alcohol and never drink.)

Perhaps in the right setting, good kava could have some interesting empatheogenic properties...but no better or worse than drinking a hell of a lot of coffee (which also makes me giddy and talkaltive.)

Deadwing said:
Even opium hey?

I've tried Poppy Seed Tea and Kratom. Both swam me deep into a state of vegetative sickness.:|

Kava was just uninteresting.:p

Muscaria: sweating, heaving, palpitations. 8o

Ephedrine was truly an evil experience, Nazi Speed.:X

LSA had unacceptable levels of nausea.:eek:

Nutmeg ruined a perfectly good Wednesday afternoon in 1992. :(

Salvia, I think, is without heart. :\

But Psilocybin Cubensis and Cannabis.....They can come round for tea anytime. %)

genaro said:
Do you want me to tell you a secret Blowmonkey?

Your threads aren't a secret from me or anyone. I have noticed from the beginning that you make threads a little too easily (that means, without thinking)..

I cannot close anything outside of my forum, but if it makes you feel better, if I could, I would.

Kratom is very worthwhile... I like it more than real opiates.

Yohimbe I find to be a horrible, horrible plant that feels very "dirty stimulating" and extremely jittery. Apparently some people are affected better by it, but I'll never touch that shit again.

Ephedra I used to love, but after absuing it for a while I now find it to be extremely dirty feeling once the first couple of hours are done. it's great at first, and ends up with terrible side effects.

kava has never done much for me. it's quite subtle and feels somehow "wrong" in my head.

i cant really think of anything that hasnt already been covered,
ckeck out this thread in db -discussion on saffron

How 'bout a combination? Kava extract with valerian extract produces a fairly nice semi-euphoric yet semi-sleepy state... not entirely unlike cannabis, but still not even close... only thing to compare it to though.