• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

new worthwhile ethnobotanicals?

I wouldn't mix big doses of kava with too much depressants...a friend of mine passed out for one full hour on kava extract (very sedative stuff) + lots of alcohol

the first time I ate kava I just took a bottle of the stuff from a wallgreens. It was in capsules, dry, brown, and a mild smell. I ate the bottle and had one of the most pleasurable trips of my life laying in bed with music.

Then I bought good stuff, extract, everything from everywhere and it came brown and potent smelling, and never got any worthwhile effects. Wallgreens stopped carrying it.

Damina definately does something when you use ALOT and use it as a tea.
But I cant't say the effects are that pleasant. It felt like it was pretty bad on the body at this dosage.
Induced some very weird dream like semi-conscious states and then made me unable to sleep the rest of the night.

genaro said:
What about kanna, kava, sinicuichi, coleus, lagochilus inebrians, leonotis leonorus, unripe mulberries, yohimbe, calamus, galanga, damiana, voacanga, tabernaemontana, scirpus atrovirens, silene capensis (aka xhosa dream root) and many other rare ethnobotanicals ? (the list can be quite long, just check the book "plants of the gods")

It sounds like you have a certain threshold of experience that you are specifically looking for from a plant/substance. It would help if you better defined that first, but I can tell you which plants/substances I have worked with.

Kanna I tried several times, once as a 10x powder. The 10x powder gave a slight euphoric buzz in my chest when I snorted a good pinch of the 10x. Kava I love. I have tried it in many forms, and have no real preferred form. I think they all work, each a bit slight different than the other. Sinicuichi is also a favorite of mine, but only as a 10x extraction, which I smoked to a great effect. I just love the buzz I used to get from it. It would make me burst out into spontaneuos bouts of dancing. It often reminded me of a mix between the dpt freebase high and a weed high. Wild dagga was ok. The best part is the flower tops for me. It produces a short but nice buzz somewhere between tobacco and weed. The rest of the plant I find unusable due to the taste. Calamus I have had mixed results with and can't really say if what I experienced was worthwhile. Damniana is sorta relaxxing as a tea. And it is supposed to act as an aphrodesiac on girls. I can never get one to drink it tho. ;) I have also found that several of the lotus' to be very useful, as well as kratom.

Several of the plants I listed had subtle effects, but they are there and if you are open to them these plants can be useful additions to your garden if you develope a relationship with the plant and learn what it can offer you. Not everything worthwhile in life is going to hit you over the head to let you know it's worth.

Not everything worthwhile in life is going to hit you over the head to let you know it's worth.

sure, that's why I enjoyed datura flowers smoke even if it's a weak subbtle high.
thanks alot for your anwser, that was really interesting.

Interesting thread. I am planning on acquiring some calamus root and dagga flowers.

And yes, catnip is worthless and tastes like burning hay:(

Also, Genaro's post about Mammillaria was interesting. I actually bought one of these (and what I think is San Pedro) at a nursery, but I just thought it looked nice. Maybe someday I will have to do something with it. Plants of the Gods says that most species contain hordenine and at least one species contains n-methyl-3,4-dimethoxy-phenylethylamine. Any knowledge of these chemicals would really help this thread.

Ugh! Calamus root... don't bother. That's a nasty, nasty plant. Very nauseating and painful in the stomach, with very little actual mental effect. Not only is it a waste, but you'll wish you hadn't taken it. At least that's my experience.

And for me, dagga flowers did absolutely nothing. But then again I'm a daily marijuana smoker so I may have been unable to notice anything. However, I'm usually very able to distinguish subtle buzzes.

fastandbulbous said:
I've tried yohimbe (C. yohimbe) total alkaloid extract (mostly yohimbine - from using ethanol/water mixture) and it is a quasi-psychedelic in that it does produce a mild psychedelic/stimulant type effect, but it has definite pros & cons. The pro would be touch and propioception enhancement and the con would be increased tendancy towards anxiety or manic behaviour. I'd say yohimbe/yohimbine and either a low dose of GHB/GBL (1g/0.7ml) or benzo would produce a much more effective aphrodisiac type effect.

It can give some aspects of psychedelic visuals, but not classic geometric type figures (my wife was left with an intense starburst filter type effect with anything bright). As for timing, when it comes to aphrodisiac use - drink tea/swallow capsules at the same time. When I tried it, I took mine about 5 mins before my wife and we just couldn't synchronize our moments of 'chemical lust'.

It did produce a very real but bizzare dream filled night afterwards (reminiscent of harmaline); I don't know if it's the rainforest association (Africa instead of S. America), but my dream was very vivid and was about a large powerful mammal. As I said, I don't know if the S American link of jaguars to yage type drinks influenced it a lot, but my memory of the dream is as vivid as those described for yage.

My experiences with yohimbe exactly. I take 25 or so drops under the tongue in the morning and again in the afternoon to keep school interesting.

Check out the saffron thread in BD.

Just acquired some lion's tail from my local zoo. Yes, it is psychoactive, but not worth trying. My sinuses closed almost instantly, and I eventually felt mental effects that are pretty much everything I don't like in weed (with the exception of paranoia and increased heart rate, as neither of these occured). I just felt really stupid. Couldn't focus on homework or anything else for that matter. Just a really blaa feeling. Kinda like alcohol without the fun. Possible vasodilation as well, but again, not very enjoyable.

BTW, I felt stupid for about 8 hours after smoking a bowl. This may be a problem especially if you smoke too much expecting to get "high". No motor coordination problems or tracking difficulties though. My wife didn't get much out of it, but she has a high tolerance to almost any drug.

I can feel noticable psychoactive effects from ginko biloba (i think it's similar to a low dose of mescaline, but lighter), gotu kola (pertty trippy), catnip (relaxation), kava (weird, in higher doses i can see similarities to mescaline as well), passion flower (fairly sedative) and damiana (which after smoking some with girls, it seems apparent that the effect is definitely stronger with them). With combining I trip out pretty decently on ginko + gotu, or passion flower + catnip.

I have one question...

What dosages of mescaline have you explored?

If you're asking that in pertainance to my saying those herbs are similar to mescaline, i need to stress a low dose, very low.

But I've done a good amount, i had san pedro skin powder and have done like 80 g. and took 2 pills (approx. 350 mg.) 4 hrs apart.

I've yet to explore any truly low doses of mescaline.

Very interesting... I used to take dotu kola daily and definitely noticed subtle effects at times, mostly a stimulation and euphoria while in nature and exercising at the same time.

So does anyone have experience with silene capensis? Evidently it's an extremely potent african dream-inducing root. Several reports claim it's much more effective than calea, but it's very expensive.

I have found kanna powder to be effective when a small pinch is snorted. I never got to try out any extract of kanna tho.

I have taken kava in an extracted yellow paste only, and had a nice time with it.

3g of Sinicuichi 10X made for a wickedly foul tasting tea (very strong taste), but the smoke was tolerable and effects were noticed.

I found wild dagga to be completely ineffective, and was a pain in the ass to clean the thorny buds for smoking.

Blue lotus was an absolute favorite of mine for a long time. I would make an extract that I would smoke in small amounts similar to opium, or would dissolve a small ball in a cup of hot lemon water. I would get a mild- moderate buzz (in comparison to something like MJ) that would be sedating and kind of happy-go-lucky as described by a close friend who would frequently indulge with me.

I know I have tried others, but these are the only ones you wanted to know about.

my experiences:

kanna: effective mood elevator when smoked.

wild dagga: no effects. used a 10x extract (smoked, tea)

sinicuichi: no effects. tried it many years ago, can't remember how much was used or method of use.

blue lotus: I'm one of the minority of users that finds this stuff worthless. I've used tea (made from fresh flowers and stamens), extract, and two different tinctures. Tried it at various doses, with and without alcohol. No effects I couldn't attribute to placebo. But yeah a lot of people like it.

lagochillus: I was looking forward to trying this one, but it was totally inneffective. Made a thread about it here

prickly poppy: worthless

kava: definitely works, but if you take too much it can give an alcohol-like hangover. I'd rather just drink alcohol personally.

I ordered some supposedly high-quality saffron after reading that saffron thread, but the site I ordered from takes FOREVER to ship. I'll post a report though after trying it.

Rennie. Available from Boots the chemist. BE CAREFUL. Rennie is for experienced psychonauts only.

Beware of sinicuichi. Some people seem to have an adverse reaction to it, which causes extreme muscle pain and flu-like symptoms. I am one of those people, and I had the worst reaction I've ever heard of. The short experience report is here on Erowid:

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=40382

It was the most drawn-out and painful experience of my life, in all honesty. This includes breaking bones. It happened a number of years ago but was published last year.

The pain lasted for two full days (which had not passed yet when I wrote the report), and on the third day I decided to drink some kratom, which completely cleared it all up within 20 minutes. Now kratom is a worthwhile herb. The lowered pitch of music lasted for almost 4 days and I began to think I'd never hear properly again. It was making me seriously depressed for a while because no music sounded at all right. The sound effects reminded me of DiPT only much weaker and less dischordant.

Last edited: