• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Adderall -- minimizing the tolerance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mag Supplement Q

Quick question about the magnesium supplements, how much chelated magnesium gluconate by Rugby should i take daily to try to reduce my tolerance to addy or keep it where it is? I've got some mixed answers looking through threads and Im trying to get a clear answer before I start pounding magnesium. The pills are each 27mg but one guy said he was taking 500mg Chelated magnesium daily which would be a ton of pills so any help is appreciated.(no dosing instructions on bottle)

Ok, this looks like the right place to ask this...

Normally, I take ~40mg speed rarely (spread over the day = ghetto adderall lol), when I have a lot to do or just feel like achieving a lot. However, as it's finals week this situation is every day. Currently I'm taking them it on alternate days, as in my mind this will prevent it fucking with my sleep too much, or me needing to increase the dose, which is the wrong path to be going down,

Is there any sense to this?

My main point is: how long does tolerance take to build up with amphetamine based drugs? And will this 'alternate day' theory help?

Thanks chaps

^ depends of course... . I'd say Heavy usage.. a matter of months... Off/on usage years. It took me years and years to get to the point where I am today. ~ 60-120mgs daily with monthly 5-6 day breaks.

I am up to about 400-500mgs of adderall a day. It's a ridiculous amount, I know. But I also have dexedrine, which I love. So I switch off. I am prescribed 60mgs a day, but it just doesn't cut it so I crush and snort.

Your skin must be dry

amphetamine tolerance builds faster than light

i started using amphetamine (adderall) for fun at 50 to 70 mgs now today ive taken over 600mgs and feel the effects less than when i started at 60mgs. i think the way to go is to use less or none on days when you dont need to concentrate ive actually heard you wont build a tolerance if you go two days on and two off, but you have to keep the dose the same never increase anyways a decrease wont hurt.

wow 600 mgs ^ I doubt that i"ve even gotten close to that in a day.

Ill say it again people.... take lots of breaks. For at least a few days at a time. Another trick (assuming you have DXM tripped before) is taking a day or two off; then a like 330 mg DXM trip; and then a day or two later you should notice your adderall sensitivity is back down where it needs to be

tbh magnesium hasnt stopped tolerance build up , but has instead slowed it down .

However - off topic if i may :) - i have found magnesium to lower my weed tolerance alot (along with melatonin i was taking each night over the past week )

i was prescribed 5 mg, then 10 the next week, then 20mg the next week, then 20 twice a day the next week, then some XRS the next week that i'd crush up and snort. my husband and i split 900mgs in a three day binge and we weren't even high just awake. and before that i hadn't done adderall in forever. the tolerance stays with you, it sucks

Adderall tolerance (and stimulant tolerance in general) does not work in the same way that other drugs do.
Part of amphetamine (adderall) tolerance is simply due to both mental and physical exhaustion. I.e., a person staying up all night continuously taking doses of amphetamine finds that at 7 am the next day, the dose they just took isn't doing anything. However, cessation of use for a few days (or even a few weeks) usually fixes this problem.

Long term amphetamine tolerance, however, is caused by amphetamine physically changing a person's brain chemistry (sometimes permanently), such that they not only can no longer experience euphoria from their 'regular' amphetamine dose, but also have a higher threshold for pleasure in their day to day life even without drugs.

This long term tolerance usually coincides with permanent psychiatric disorders; making amphetamines a very dangerous, devastating, and life ruining drug when it comes to long term use.

However, it is not all bad news for an amphetamine user; a simple act of "mind over matter" can itself cure amphetamine tolerance. If an individual is able to learn how to alter their mind's own expectations, they can manipulate their brain chemistry and alter the effectiveness of their amphetamine. This leads to the strange result of a user being able to increase euphoria simply by "expecting" it -this inadvertently causes a correlation with mood; if a person is in a good mood ( have had quality sleep, are relaxed, are physically healthy, etc), they will notice better results from amphetamine use.

This also provokes questions as to whether or not the "body load" (the negative physical effects of amphetamine) plays any role in tolerance. For example, any amphetamine formulations containing the levo isomer (such as adderall xr) would produce more of a body load and therefore increase tolerance more than amphetamine formulations where the levo isomer is absent. Perhaps the brain establishes a correlation between the negative physical effects (which are damaging to the body) and the positive psychological effects (euphoria, alertness, etc) and therefore cancels out the positive effects to try and prevent the negative effects. Perhaps the brain even sabotages its own reward system simply to try and avoid the physical damage that amphetamine causes.

Yet another theory would be that since amphetamine activates reward pathways, the brain requires a higher source of pleasure in order for the same level of euphoria to be felt again - thereby requiring a higher dose.

There also seems to be a ceiling effect in play (especially with levo isomer formulations) where a higher dose will no longer produce more positive effects and instead only increases negative ones. I myself, being an avid user of adderall xr, never found my dose going higher than 120mg before all I was doing was increasing negative physical effects.
Having used amphetamine on a very frequent basis for the past 2 and a half years, my 'regular' dose is still 90mg (I take a 30mg xr, wait 10 minutes then take another 30mg, then wait 45 minutes to an hour before taking a third 30mg; I find that my amphetamine kicks in the smoothest this way)
Still, the 'glow' I experienced from first using amphetamine (being able to get high off 20mg xr) has never again returned, even after long breaks; however, decent euphoria is still always achievable with less than 100mg so long as circumstances are right.

There also seems to be a ceiling effect in play (especially with levo isomer formulations) where a higher dose will no longer produce more positive effects and instead only increases negative ones. I myself, being an avid user of adderall xr, never found my dose going higher than 120mg before all I was doing was increasing negative physical effects.
Having used amphetamine on a very frequent basis for the past 2 and a half years, my 'regular' dose is still 90mg (I take a 30mg xr, wait 10 minutes then take another 30mg, then wait 45 minutes to an hour before taking a third 30mg; I find that my amphetamine kicks in the smoothest this way)
Still, the 'glow' I experienced from first using amphetamine (being able to get high off 20mg xr) has never again returned, even after long breaks; however, decent euphoria is still always achievable with less than 100mg so long as circumstances are right.

I notice a ceiling effect with Adderall as well and its also usually at 120mg. Taking a dose any higher won't produce euphoria any greater than if I just took 120mg.

What I don't understand is why do I get higher from Adderall than with Dexedrine. I was just switched from Adderall XR to Dexedrine spansules and I want to go right back onto the Adderall. I think the levo isomer gives me extra pep after a couple hours of consumption. A certain burst of energy. While Dexedrine is smoother and the comedown isn't as bad it lacks that energy. Also the Dexedrine doesn't last nearly as long. I know that I'm the minority. I'm planning on switching back onto the Adderall, but the regular kind which is the most effective for me besides the Desoxyn.

I notice a ceiling effect with Adderall as well and its also usually at 120mg. Taking a dose any higher won't produce euphoria any greater than if I just took 120mg.

What I don't understand is why do I get higher from Adderall than with Dexedrine. I was just switched from Adderall XR to Dexedrine spansules and I want to go right back onto the Adderall. I think the levo isomer gives me extra pep after a couple hours of consumption. A certain burst of energy. While Dexedrine is smoother and the comedown isn't as bad it lacks that energy. Also the Dexedrine doesn't last nearly as long. I know that I'm the minority. I'm planning on switching back onto the Adderall, but the regular kind which is the most effective for me besides the Desoxyn.
The levo isomer is almost completely worthless, and would seem to have only been included in the adderall xr formulation to combat abuse. If the Levo isomer were absent, I would imagine that 5 day long binges and otherwise going apeshit with redosing would be much more easily achievable.

The reason Dexedrine doesn't seem as good as adderall xr (I've noticed this too) is simply because adderall xr comes on slower - your body doesn't have a giant body load being dropped on it all at once like with instant release dexamphetamine.

The grouping together of various amphetamine salts with varying metabolic rates into one formulation (adderall xr) was almost genius -- you essentially get the duration of methamphetamine with the "hard tweak" of dexamphetamine (as opposed to the smooth, soft, lovey, euphoric tweak of meth), making it less of a recreational drug and more of a tool.

Someone I know if perscribed to SEVENTY FIVE mg of adderall a day!! I don't see how their heart hasnt shut down. They have been on it since the 4th grade and they are now a junior in college. If they don't take it they can't get out of bed. I personally HATE adderall. even if I eat with it my stomach and joints still kill me and the next day I feel like shit!
I don't see why you would say something so cruel. Why wouldn't they die? Maybe they need medication management, and maybe they don't get issues with it like you, but who knows. I'm just a random.

Hey Bananas&Oranges, how the hell are ya? Still on the Dex?

Whatever it may be, for me, the Adderall is more recreational than Dexedrine and I plan on going right back onto it. I switched from 30mg of the XR onto 30mg of the spansules and thought that I'd feel it more because Adderall is 75% as pure but nope. In fact it lacked that feeling of energy I had gotten from the Adderall. Certainly isn't placebo.

Unfortunately, amphetamine salts or Adderall does build rapid tolerance. I have been taking them for 3 years and suddenly built a tolerance after 6 or 7 months.
The body remembers and knows a quicker and quicker way to break it down each time.

I started taking Magnesium about 4 or 5 months ago and noticed that it helped somewhat. It provides for longer effectiveness, I guess.

^hi there, welcome to BL and BDD! Thanks for your advice, it is appreciated :) however, it is best to comment on current threads rather than bump old ones, as things move fast here and the OP is unlikely to come back and check.

I'm going to close this thread, but if you have any queries shoot me a pm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.