• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Do Not Snort Suboxone No Matter What

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theoretically you should be able to snort suboxone without worrying about the naloxone because its going into your body in the same manner. By dissolving the tablet as directed the drug is being absorbed through the thin membranes and capilaries underneath you tounge and then into the bloodstream. This method obviously does not release the naloxone. It works doesnt it.
If you were to snort the suboxone, then drugs are being absorbed through the muceous membranes in your nose. Same Idea. There is alot less surface area for dissolving in a dry nose than a wet mouth. so in theory it is the same way of absorbtion, through a cellular membrane. I think it would actually take longer to feel the effects of snorting the suboxone because it has more powder to dissolve in less surface area. Also slowed by powder cloggin together if not ground up fine enough. Common sense wise......its not worth the work. Plus is tastes better than pink methadone. (Disgusting)

As far as the naloxone goes, it is only active if put directly into a muscle or directly into the bloodstream. So if that makes sense, as long as your not using a needle to inject the suboxone you can A:) shove it up your ass (very thin membranes down there could be exciting) j/k. B:) Snort the pill which could be nasty with all the clogging, or maybe not. And C:) simply let the fucker dissolve under your tounge as directed.
If you read all the official readings from suboxone.com or credible sources they all state that the naloxone is added to prevent intreveinous misuse. I have yet to see any reliable sight include snorting exclusivly as a reason for the addition nalaxone.

It is getting in your system pretty quickly the prescribed way as it is. Its effects can be felt in 20 min, pretty close time wise to snorting a short acting opiate ie..oxy, roxi. As opposed to taking those same short acting opiates orally and waiting the hour +/- 15 min. It is getting in the bloodstream much quicker, almost as quick as intranasally.

My guess is that more people don't snort it because if not broken up fine enough, it gets clogged, and some might fall back out. Again, just seems like it's not worth it. With the citric acid used in the flavoring I bet that could sting a little bit too. Finally there is less or at least no more surface area in the nose to be dissolved than there is through nose. So unless you have a hoover for a nose and chop up your pills using your blender, then the fastest and easiest way to get the buprenorphrine in your system is take it how your supposed to. I have heard subutex, with less total substance could be done intranasally. Not quite sure if it still would be that much better. Being an addict it sucks not being able to snort it though. Drug use is not just about taking drugs but the process or ritual you do to prepare the drugs each time. Its a whole lifestyle you have to change. Thats why quitting drugs can be SO FUCKING HARD.

I would love for anyone to respond if I am completly wrong about something. I hate posting false information, but with a basic understanding of chemistry and biology it seems what I have written should make sense.
Love to hear anyone's 2 cents. I am really to curious as to what other people might think about the reasons behind these too often asked about questions. I always trying to learn more.

One more thing. Buprenorphine has a higher affinity for the mu receptor than naloxone does anyways. So if you were to get high as shit on subutex, or suboxone, a narcan challange would be completly inneffective. I know this somehow has something to do with inactivity of the nalaxone also. If the nalaxone was to get to the receptor first the bupe would not work, but that is not the case with suboxone, so injecting straight into the blood stream would be the only way the naloxone could possible get thieir beforehand. I know this for a fact because when I was using Oxy my dad (being a doctor) had access to unlimited vials of Narcan. This is how he would test me to see if I was using any drugs. It really sucked nuts. Well until I got my hands on some suboxone and took 16mg one night. I was high as shit, hardly keep my eyes open, it felt beautiful. My dad saw how obviously much "fun" I was having and decided it was narcan time. OH MY GOD I THOUGHT, NOT AGAIN. I told him I had been smoking some pot and thats why my eyes were red in hopes that he would pass on naloxone. Nope, he wen't and grabbed the vial, prepped the spot and jammed it right into my left shoulder. I.M really hurts like a son of a bitch...................but not so badly that time, because I was under the influence of painkillers of course. But the anxiety of super withdrawal is almost unbearable. It usually took about 3 min to start getting this dizzy, and for the yawning to start. When Narcan comes on, it comes on quick. OH MY GOD. But after 6 min I still hadn't felt anything, 14 min still nothing, and 20 min.....holy fucking shit I've somehow outsmarted my dad. I soon after found out why the narc challange didn't work. I had destroyed the most powerful, evil, terrifying weapon to any opiate addicts enemy. In this case good old Dr. Dad. It was beautiful. So if you ever think your going to have to take a narcan challange, make sure you take the bupe before hand, or it will be useless. I also found verification for this on a couple of websites if you don't believe me. Fuck Off Narcan SUPERBOXONE is here.

Last edited:
I can't imagine wasting time trying to get a ghost-of-a-buzz snorting suboxone. Like most people who are scripted suboxone, I take it BECAUSE IT WAS THE ONLY WAY I COULD GET OFF OPIATES. I don't take suboxone to get a buzz.

If I wanted a buzz I'd go back to popping Norcos. Or I'd pick up my smack habit where I left it five years ago.

i snorted the stuff just fine.

i did eventually get BAD headaches/migraines(and i NEVER got migraines in my life before this) from the suboxone and got off the stuff.
moved to methadone; nuff said.

Your father is breaking the law, injecting you with narcan. I don't believe you...the story is just too crazy...If my father tried to do that to me, the police would be involved. I'd seriously recommend telling your father that the next time he tries to pull that, he will lose his medical license.

IHateOpiophobes said:
Theoretically you should be able to snort suboxone without worrying about the naloxone because its going into your body in the same manner. By dissolving the tablet as directed the drug is being absorbed through the thin membranes and capilaries underneath you tounge and then into the bloodstream. This method obviously does not release the naloxone. It works doesnt it.
If you were to snort the suboxone, then drugs are being absorbed through the muceous membranes in your nose. Same Idea. There is alot less surface area for dissolving in a dry nose than a wet mouth. so in theory it is the same way of absorbtion, through a cellular membrane. I think it would actually take longer to feel the effects of snorting the suboxone because it has more powder to dissolve in less surface area. Also slowed by powder cloggin together if not ground up fine enough. Common sense wise......its not worth the work. Plus is tastes better than pink methadone. (Disgusting)

As far as the naloxone goes, it is only active if put directly into a muscle or directly into the bloodstream. So if that makes sense, as long as your not using a needle to inject the suboxone you can A:) shove it up your ass (very thin membranes down there could be exciting) j/k. B:) Snort the pill which could be nasty with all the clogging, or maybe not. And C:) simply let the fucker dissolve under your tounge as directed.
If you read all the official readings from suboxone.com or credible sources they all state that the naloxone is added to prevent intreveinous misuse. I have yet to see any reliable sight include snorting exclusivly as a reason for the addition nalaxone.

It is getting in your system pretty quickly the prescribed way as it is. Its effects can be felt in 20 min, pretty close time wise to snorting a short acting opiate ie..oxy, roxi. As opposed to taking those same short acting opiates orally and waiting the hour +/- 15 min. It is getting in the bloodstream much quicker, almost as quick as intranasally.

My guess is that more people don't snort it because if not broken up fine enough, it gets clogged, and some might fall back out. Again, just seems like it's not worth it. With the citric acid used in the flavoring I bet that could sting a little bit too. Finally there is less or at least no more surface area in the nose to be dissolved than there is through nose. So unless you have a hoover for a nose and chop up your pills using your blender, then the fastest and easiest way to get the buprenorphrine in your system is take it how your supposed to. I have heard subutex, with less total substance could be done intranasally. Not quite sure if it still would be that much better. Being an addict it sucks not being able to snort it though. Drug use is not just about taking drugs but the process or ritual you do to prepare the drugs each time. Its a whole lifestyle you have to change. Thats why quitting drugs can be SO FUCKING HARD.

I would love for anyone to respond if I am completly wrong about something. I hate posting false information, but with a basic understanding of chemistry and biology it seems what I have written should make sense.
Love to hear anyone's 2 cents. I am really to curious as to what other people might think about the reasons behind these too often asked about questions. I always trying to learn more.

One more thing. Buprenorphine has a higher affinity for the mu receptor than naloxone does anyways. So if you were to get high as shit on subutex, or suboxone, a narcan challange would be completly inneffective. I know this somehow has something to do with inactivity of the nalaxone also. If the nalaxone was to get to the receptor first the bupe would not work, but that is not the case with suboxone, so injecting straight into the blood stream would be the only way the naloxone could possible get thieir beforehand. I know this for a fact because when I was using Oxy my dad (being a doctor) had access to unlimited vials of Narcan. This is how he would test me to see if I was using any drugs. It really sucked nuts. Well until I got my hands on some suboxone and took 16mg one night. I was high as shit, hardly keep my eyes open, it felt beautiful. My dad saw how obviously much "fun" I was having and decided it was narcan time. OH MY GOD I THOUGHT, NOT AGAIN. I told him I had been smoking some pot and thats why my eyes were red in hopes that he would pass on naloxone. Nope, he wen't and grabbed the vial, prepped the spot and jammed it right into my left shoulder. I.M really hurts like a son of a bitch...................but not so badly that time, because I was under the influence of painkillers of course. But the anxiety of super withdrawal is almost unbearable. It usually took about 3 min to start getting this dizzy, and for the yawning to start. When Narcan comes on, it comes on quick. OH MY GOD. But after 6 min I still hadn't felt anything, 14 min still nothing, and 20 min.....holy fucking shit I've somehow outsmarted my dad. I soon after found out why the narc challange didn't work. I had destroyed the most powerful, evil, terrifying weapon to any opiate addicts enemy. In this case good old Dr. Dad. It was beautiful. So if you ever think your going to have to take a narcan challange, make sure you take the bupe before hand, or it will be useless. I also found verification for this on a couple of websites if you don't believe me. Fuck Off Narcan SUPERBOXONE is here.

Inrvizion said:
SEE ABOVE, SNORTING SUBOXONE IS STUPID AND IT WILL LEAD TO DISPLEASURE AND THE OPPOSITE EFFECT THAT YOU WERE LOOKING FOR. Bupe is not exactly the same as suboxone, they are similair but different formulations, you may be able to snort bupe and get off, but there is no way to snort suboxone and have it give you the desired effect. 'nuff said.:X

What a dumbfuck thing to say. His statement is NOT true. Please close this post.

Inrvizion said:
no it does not work better than sublingual, the bioavailability is quite high for sublingual administration and once again suboxone is not bupe, don't compare your experiences with the 2 because it is similair yet different, while some can snort suboxone, it is still idiotic as sooo many people have had horrid experiences with it, and once again the preffered, best, and only good, method of administration for subs is sublingual, maybe that's why they call it SUBoxone, go figure, they make a drug to get you off of one that you are putting up your nose (usually), they are not going to design it so that you can easily put this kick med up your nose, they are going to design it to be most effective when taken as prescribed, which is the whole reason you are so addicted to oxy in the first place and need suboxone (you didn't take it as prescribed, or you took it without a prescription at all) Not trying to say it's impossible to snort sub and have it work, just that it's really stupid and not worth it.... Peace.

Suboxone IS bupe. Bupe+Naloxone. Jesus fuckin christ. Think before you speak.

It is 100& true. It sucked.....I would't call the police on him. It unorthodox but no illegel. Sware to god it happened.

Sorry if you didn't think it didn't happen...don't know what to tell ya. I wouldn't make up something like that.

I didn't have to do it but I didn't take the shot then everything that he payed for (Which was alot) was down the drain.

The most effective method of administering buprenorphine is through injection.
That is why the original formulation which is still the most widely used formulation, is Buprenex. It is an injectible version of buprenorphine. It is meant to be injected. Thats the way its done. There is nothing sinister about it.
and thats the final word on the subject
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/buprenorphine.htm

Listen, I've been prescribed Suboxone for about a year now, and I have tried every single thing people will tell you not to do with suboxone. In theory, sure, it all makes perfect sense, but in real life none of it holds up. For every thread out there telling you not to snort or shoot it, I have done both 5 times and I am still here to do it again.

Inrvizion said:
SEE ABOVE, SNORTING SUBOXONE IS STUPID AND IT WILL LEAD TO DISPLEASURE AND THE OPPOSITE EFFECT THAT YOU WERE LOOKING FOR. Bupe is not exactly the same as suboxone, they are similair but different formulations, you may be able to snort bupe and get off, but there is no way to snort suboxone and have it give you the desired effect. 'nuff said.:X

You don't know your head from your own ass. I snorted it yesterday
Nuff said.

^
I snorted it 5 minutes ago (seriously). I agree, he does not know his head from his ass.

I've been snorting suboxone for months and have NEVER had a withdrawal brought on from the Naloxone.

cuegis said:
The most effective method of administering buprenorphine is through injection.
That is why the original formulation which is still the most widely used formulation, is Buprenex. It is an injectible version of buprenorphine. It is meant to be injected. Thats the way its done. There is nothing sinister about it.
and thats the final word on the subject
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic2/buprenorphine.htm

I can't stand buprenex.

One of the first times I tried to kick heroin, 6 or 7 years ago, I used to buy buprenex ampules from a junkie friend of mine who was in a clinical trial at a hospital here. (He used the money to cop H of course). I injected the buprenex IM (not IV) by poking myself in the butt, on the same schedule that my friend's doctor had proposed for him. I forget how many ampules I injected daily, or how often, but it was NOT a pleasant experience. Within a couple of weeks of injecting buprenex I completely lost my sense of smell, and strange lumps formed in various parts of my body. These and other symptoms vanished completely a couple of weeks after I quit the buprenex.

The real downer was that by injecting buprenex I managed to habituate myself to needle use. I had always been terrified of needles, and I had always snorted or smoked my heroin before that. Needless to say when I quit the buprenex and went back to heroin, I was shooting up in no time.

Eventually I quit heroin via in-patient rehab. Currently I am on 6mg per day of suboxone, which I personally find vastly more effective than my buprenex experiment proved to be. At least for me sublingual is the way to go.

Carl Landrover said:
I could have sworn I've seen several posts that had people saying they were snorting sub without a problem.

yes "Subutex" not "Suboxone" same exact thing minus the naloxone

geographic99

i totally believe all that you are saying... i know that this is your experience, and this is how it went down...
but, i do think that what happened to you is not the "typical" experience...
as far as the physical symptoms, i definately beilieve you, but, i just have not heard of these before...you know that with drugs everyone can react differently...

as for the needle aspect...i'm just guessing here, but i think the reason why the fda did not approve Buprenex (injectible) for opiate addiction is probably for this very reason....

i got much higher from snorting my suboxone ! and i do mean much ! proper good high , eyes going , really relaxed,

ktx49 said:
i snorted the stuff just fine.

i did eventually get BAD headaches/migraines(and i NEVER got migraines in my life before this) from the suboxone and got off the stuff.
moved to methadone; nuff said.

that honestly sucks to be you man. Methadone is not only "THE 5 BILLION pound gorrilla", it's as i presume you obviously know is a full fucking on pure agonist. That makes it like you're taking a shit load of some kind of "super oxy combined with hydrocodone" or something. I was on allmost 300mg of that fucking shit for almost 2 years. I was a total fucking zombie on it....like pretty much everyone on methadone, whether they want to admit it or not. (well sometimes people cant even tell themselves, but others around them can see/hear them slurring speach, comming acrossed as retarded, (lol sorry), etc.
Then again methadone did save my life...for the time being i was on it. I switched to suboxone for A LOT of reasons. It has been hands down all around better then methadone for me. "we" call it the mircale drug. One of the reasons i switched from methdone to suboxone (other then having to drive/get a rride to the stupid fucking clinic every morning and worrying about missing getting there if i ever slept in, fucking being CHAINED to the clinic), was because methadone actually almost ended up killing me....the whole MMT lifestyle in general...because you get to have your daily FIX of a full on pure agonist,...and one of the best full on agonists at that. And on top of that you can get as high as you want (while on methadone, on other opiates like H, oxys, etc),...well as high as you want until you OD and die, since methadone alone is an insainely crazy CNS depressent....get high as you want all day long...vs. suboxone where doing anything would throw a lot of people into withdrawls. For me it doesn't throw me into withdrawls when on some other opiate, but it turns things out so i'd have to shot or even snort 5-8bags of H vs ONE. So as you can obviously see, one couldnt even afford to live the junkie lifestyle if they were on suboxone all the time, aka BMT. (that is if you are fortunate enough to have health insurance that will cover it, let alone have health insurance, or "simply" have the cash to pay the full non-insurance covering price.
All that said and done, there are more people on methadone (MMT) maintinance and it is without a doubt better for them to be on then suboxone, because some people simply IMO NEED to be on a full on agonist 24/7...and legally and all that jazz so they can actually be another friendly functional member of society. I find suboxone can be stimulating at times, but in a good way, at least for me, and that's an aspect that actually makes it better for me then methadone, because on methadone i'd be more prone to laying on the couch all day and dozing off or watching TV, (and talking slow and shit), whereas with suboxone, i get motivated to actually do shit?....and to actually live a life. Again though, suboxone isnt for everyone, just like methadone isn't. You obviously have to find out for yourself in the end of it all....although researching shit, and reading all the posts here on BL couldnt hurt. DURH!8)
But just keep in mind it's VERY easy to detox and to withdrawl off suboxone(bupe) when i feel like doing some norcos or something or a few bags of snorted H. You couldnt do that with methadone....well some people can, but trust me they don't enjoy it...so good luck on that front! :!

Nah seriously man, good luck on methadone. I hope it helps you out for the time being until you're finally able to live opiate free. Peace,
-DM

The bioavailability is MUCH higher when you consume it intranasally opposed to sublingually. I only use small doses of suboxone, so snorting it really doesn't taste bad or burn at all. I'll give you examples of the bioavailability through different routes of administration:

Originally Posted by jasoncrest
Buprenorphine bioavailabilities:

intravenous: 98%-100%

intranasal: 50%
"Studies of buprenorphine bioavailability have also examined the [...] intranasal (bioavailability, 48
"The bioavailability of buprenorphine, HCl (BPP) in sheep after nasal administration of two formulations has been studied. 0.9 mg BPP in 150 microl was administered nasally and compared to 0.6 mg i.v. The test solutions were formulated with 30% polyethylene glycol 300 (PEG 300) and 5% dextrose, respectively. The bioavailability for PEG 300 was 70% (S.D.+/-27%, n=6), whereas the bioavailability for 5% dextrose was 89% (S.D.+/-23%, n=6)."
"Mean intranasal bioavailability was 48.2 +/- 8.35% (mean +/- s.e.m.) of the intravenous value"

intramuscular: 68%
"The observed mean intramuscular bioavailability was 68%"
"Studies of buprenorphine bioavailability have also examined the intramuscular (bioavailability, 50%–100"

intrarectal: 54%
"bioavailability of the drug was found to be: [... ]intrarectal (54..."
"Relative to the 100% bioavailability from the intraarterial route the mean bioavailabilities were [...] intrarectal, 54%..."

sublingual: ~30%
"Buprenorphine is well absorbed sublingually, with 60% to 70% of the bioavailability of intravenous doses"
"Study results indicate that bioavailability of sublingual buprenorphine is approximately 30%"
"Literature on bioavailability of sublingual buprenorphine presents variable numbers ranging from. 19–58% of the administered dose."
"Relative to the 100% bioavailability from the intraarterial route the mean bioavailabilities were [...] sublingual, 13%"

oral: 10%
"the oral bioavailability for buprenorphine is state to be 10%"
"due to extensive first-pass metabolism, buprenorphine has very poor oral bioavailability (10% of the intravenous route) if swallowed"

intrahepatoportal: 49%

intraduodenal: 9.7%

From experience, low doses snorted provide me with what I'm looking for out of suboxone (I have no access to subutex unfortunately). I get a little stimulant feeling for about 2-4 hrs depending on the dose, and other than that just an all around warm feeling. Sometimes I get headaches, but it's not that frequent, and not all too bad meaning I can get through the headache like I would any other minor headache. Usually eating something, or drinking milk helps the headaches for whatever reason.

I strongly disagree with the author of this thread though. Snorting suboxone, yes suboxone, is a much better ROA for me, and has a higher bio availability!

IHateOpiophobes said:
It is 100& true. It sucked.....I would't call the police on him. It unorthodox but no illegel. Sware to god it happened.

Sorry if you didn't think it didn't happen...don't know what to tell ya. I wouldn't make up something like that.

I didn't have to do it but I didn't take the shot then everything that he payed for (Which was alot) was down the drain.

So instead of giving you a simple urine test, he shot you up with a very serious and potentially dangerous substance to see if you were instantly thrown into withdrawl?

Either he's the biggest douche bag asshole reckless doctor on earth or you are feeding us a line of bullshit.

^Maybe that was his form of punishment for using, it would make sense to a degree. I believe it, have no reason not to.

OP snorting sub is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.