• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Caffeine

Gaz_hmmmm

Bluelighter
Are there any caffeine related chem's that are recreational at all?

If not, would it be possible to play around with caffeine to make something pleasurable at all like amphetamine? :\

The only thing remotely related to caffeine that I can think of that is recreational is fenethylline, and we can argue that this is closer to amphetamine than it is to caffeine. Caffeine works primarily through the adynosyl receptors, which don't seem to be too happy (or sad). Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can shed more light on it.

^^ What about theophylline and theobromine? They are pretty similar to caffeine, maybe not as recreational though.

They are very similar to caffeine (I think theobromine feels the least horrible, and I find it somewhat sedating in some ways). I rarely drink highly caffinated drinks - generally only hot chocolate or occasionally tea. Caffeine actually feels bad for me.

I doubt it... I mean, adenosine ligands don't modulate conditioned place preference... well some people report they do[1], I'm not sure... but selective adenosine a1 antagonists might be a bit better [2].

J. Alfred Prufrock said:
Has fenethylline ever turned up in pill testing?

I do not think it exists in any mentionable quantities in North America.

This is supposedly popular in eastern europe and the middle east, though none of my acquaintances in either area have ever heard of it (to be fair, none of them are drug users).

In any case, apparently it is sold in pills as fenethylline or "captagon" in these areas (ie. not as "ecstasy").

What I wonder is whether it gets metabolized into Meth + Caffeine or Ethamphetamine + Theophyline? In both cases it would be interesting, since Ethamphetamine is rather rare and since pure Methamphetamine is almost unknown in these areas.

iirc, theophylline is highly toxic in doses higher than the therapeutical dose, which is additionally different in every single human being... so trying to use it for recreational purposes should be kind of dangerous.

I've heard that theobromine is much weaker than caffeine on a per-unit basis...

Both theobromine and theophylline would be crap rec drugs IMO. However, fenethylline should be relatively easy to synthesize.

Jamshyd said:
I do not think it exists in any mentionable quantities in North America.

This is supposedly popular in eastern europe and the middle east, though none of my acquaintances in either area have ever heard of it (to be fair, none of them are drug users).

In any case, apparently it is sold in pills as fenethylline or "captagon" in these areas (ie. not as "ecstasy").

What I wonder is whether it gets metabolized into Meth + Caffeine or Ethamphetamine + Theophyline? In both cases it would be interesting, since Ethamphetamine is rather rare and since pure Methamphetamine is almost unknown in these areas.

It's metabolised into amphetamine and theophylline: http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/shulgin.futuredrugs.html

I would be surprised if the psychopharmacological effects were discernable from amphetamine...

Last edited:
It probably is no different from the amphetamine structure in it.

However, I am still puzzled, where do the two carbon atoms linking the two go if the end products are Amphetamine and Theophyline?

---

As for the topic at hand, for those who seem confused:

Cafeine: Is found at high concentration is Coffee and Kola nut.
Theopheline: Is found in tea at moderate concentrations, whith a lower concentration of caffeine.
Theobromine: Is found in chocolate (Theobroma cacao), along with smaller concentrations of Caffeine and Theophyline.
Yerba Mate contains high concentration of all three, I believe.

I could be wrong, of course.

there are several other purines that are closely related to caffeine, like pentofylline.
these are pure phosphodiesterase-inhibitors and show no activity to adenosin-receptors.
but don't ask me wether this does feel recreational in any way.

If anyone discovers anything further about this fenethylline, please post. it sounds quite intriguing.

And I agree that the methylxanthines, especially caffeine, are crap. Very nasty, dirty stimulation.

anyone ever noticed that caffeine resembles uric acid (principle component of avian urine)? Maybe that's why it makes you feel like shit. ;)

^ I suspect the phosphodiesterase inhibition is the nasty bit. Probably responsible for the shakes.

This is slightly off topic but the shakes/tremors that come with most sympathomimetic drugs -- what are they from?

something to do with beta receptors in sympathomimetics; but I'm not convinced caffiene acts by the same mechanism.

I like to drink a coffee with a spliff if i have a heavy indica strain because it stops me from sleeping but doesn't ruin cannabis (like speed does)

i know hydrocodone, like norco, or vicodins, contain caffeine. If you take enough of it before bedtime its hard to sleep. Stupid pharmys and their fillers.