Your Productions Go Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I havent been reviewing anyone's music here, but I've been too busy getting my tunes together. I have just finished them, and I would like some feedback on them. http://artists.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/astral_connection/index-1.html
the new ones are K diaries(psy-trance) and drummerboy(experimental/funky), and these are the ones I'd like reviewed please. If you review mine, I'll give a listen to yours for sure...
cheers

review for Dante, Chalk & SteveElektro

I'm a little behind since I've just started reading this thread and listening to people's music, and I'm going to be ALL OVER THE PLACE for the reviewing (page one to page three to page one to page 2 and so on)... so bear with me. Either myself or my partner in crime (CptHowdy) will be posting links to our work soon.

Dante:

Distorte- As a stand alone song, the first 27 seconds would bore me to hit the "forward" button to the next track... but as a cut in a mix I'm sure I wouldn't even notice. Your control of the distorted sounds was fine, nothing too muddled as to take away from the sound. It's a powerful piece.

Hot Carl- Nothing negative to say about this one, I enjoyed it a lot.

In The Dark- Sounds incomplete, like your still working on it... you seem to be missing the hook. I know it's trance, but you've got to hook them with something. I don't know if the abrupt ending is on purpose or it's actually unfinished...

Heated- I like the percussive intro... Nice build-up in the first half of the song... then it didn't seem to go anywhere, aside from a few additional percussion sounds. However, for an old school techno sound, I like this tune.

Chalk:

Dust- Very groovy ambient piece... nice, original sounding bytes. I like the absence of drums (and minimal percussion) here and there. Me Like!

Gulp- Head bobbin good, I like the guitar licks in there a lot. :) Nice changes too. I'd remix it with a little more POWER though, more PUNCH... can't explain what that means, it's just a feeling, you dig?

I'd like to take more time in the future and download more of your stuff, I just don't have the time!

SteveElektro:

Bad Intent (Original Mix)- This is my kind of EDM, I fucking loved it. Great sound, nice build-ups, nothing dissapointed me. Excellent work, what does your studio consist of? Whatever you got, I want some of it. ;)

More to come.

Last edited:
review for JohanK, Suess & astralplur

JohanK:
Linear thoughts- Very well produced, I enjoyed this track a lot. Damned good music, I have nothing negative to say about this. I like the layers... good job with the chorus effects. Smooth ending, I like the fade-out. As of this post, it is still "unrated", I gave you a 4 out of 5!

Things that matter- It's just my personal opinion, but I think your changes are coming a little late with this one... I didn't like the high hat that comes in around 2:30... other than that, it's a groovy tune.

Suess:
uweto- You began with some timing issues, but as the song progressed it all cleared up. Nice psytrance... maybe a little long though... there was a point where I lost track and thought I'd moved on to another song, but then it all came back to me. Overall a great job, especially on fruity loops (I can't stand that software). Nice, clean soundbyte... maybe a little over-use of the same one, but I liked it... fit well.

astralplur:
Civilization- The first minute of this cut made me feel very out of sync... it progressed nicely though. Nice placement of the sounbytes, however I could barely hear them, and definitely can't place them... the "shortcut" and "mushrooms" bytes were great. For what you call psytrance/DnB, it lacks the "aggressiveness" for lack of a better word, that I would expect from that kind of combo.

floatation- Nice ambient piece. At about 2:20 I started to feel a little unbalanced listening to this... like some of the sounds are out of sync. Could just be my ear, but it seems to clear up around 2:45/50. Overall good job... I like ambient, and make up quite a bit of it myself.

Last edited:
Web: Cheers for the feedback, I'll be getting some of your stuff soon :)

You might be interested (or horrified) to know that all I use is FruityLoops... such a powerful live performance piece of software. And I don't really finish tracks anymore these days, as much as I set up ideas like distorte, and rip em up live... so much more interesting IMHO.

Dante- That is quite interesting... I never could quite get the hang of the software, got completely frustrated, and beleted it. Presently my favorite toy is Acid Pro 4... someday when I make a million bucks I'll have a more versatile "studio". ;)

Man, have a look at FL Studio 4.1... it's farken awesome. Improved soo much since a few years back. IMHO, better than Reason. Just don't use default samples! :p

www.flstudio.com

hey web,
have you got a website where i could check out some of your stuff?
also, i think you should hear the other two tracks on the site, as the ones you heard are mad old, and I ended up just getting lazy by the end of them, I'm sure theres a lot of stuff 'out of sync' in it as you said, but my newer ones are much better produced, or so i feel.....

astralplur- My partner is working on a site now, should have something in a couple of days. I will give the other music a listen and let you know how I feel.

Dante, I'm pretty much using just fruity loops as well, the lastest one is pretty swish aint it? One thing i noticed they've changed is the "Copy whole pattern" option, i found this well useful and now all of a sudden it's gone!

While we're on the subject of fruity loops..... I want to know from any of you lot using it what Plugin's your using and why you like them. WHats your favourite. Also how technical are you getting in FL?

I'm using the patterns (obviously) the FX, various plugins (DX10, triangle II, Osc, wasp ect) and then using the playlist to get some kind of organisation, but i find it better to export ALL the sounds and re-make it in a program that allows more control on individual layers. Sonar lets you use envelops for volume and pan etc which is quite handy. Im not sure if you can do this in FL4.1?

And one more thing.

What other features in FL do you use that i might not be aware of. theres so many little boxes you can light up and i dont know what half of them do!!

Chalk

Well, I play live using FLStudio, so I can't really export anything out of it... I'm sure I'd be able to route the audio through Cubase or something if I wanted to get uber-wanky, but to be perfectly honest, I don't see the point. I get the sound that I want out of FL, so why use anything else? :)

Besides, the more CPU I'm not using, the better for live performance. Means I can do more shit and not worry about it locking up or skipping. :)

And no, I don't use the live mode to play live, it's a crazy hybrid thing I made up a few years back, mainly using channel mutes and pattern changes... too hard to explain. :p

[edit]oh yeah, just another little teaser clip of a track... dantelate290703.mp3

Steve Elektro - Bad Intent: I really like the acid lines and synths.. awesome composition, mebbe the synth that hits on the 7th and 8th beat of an 8 beat loop could be a bit nastier ;)

I didn't like the percussion as much.. could do with a touch more variation, but that's just my personal preference. I haven't admittedly listened to a lot of acid techno, so I don't really know if it's supposed to be based on melodic structure or percussive structure.

All up though, I'd go off pretty hard to it. :)

Last edited:
Hey guyz!!

My new release is now online. It's a remix of my mate neptunes track Predator. Much harder more agressive mix then the original. Very hennes and cold meets scot project. (or so i've been told)

check it out @ http://www.rateofrecurrence.tk

direct link : http://files.mp3.com.au/download.as...e=MP3&ReferURL=

also while your there check out some of my other releases:

deluge of trance (original vocal mix) < hit number 1 on the mp3.com.au charts
yes i do (synapse 4 mix)
evacuate (original mix)

Dante, thanks for the feedback.
I had a listen to that little bit of your track, its sounds mad!
That key change is hell nice, tell us when it's finished, I'd like to hear the whole track.

Also, I shall have a much harder track up soon, a gnome had meth last nite and stayed up working on something that's been on the backburner for a while.
Yay for meth
=D

i'm with dante, new fruity loops is insanely good. I dunno if its better than reason, because i can't for the life of me work out how to make patterns in reason 8( .

I use loads of different synths that i have either downloaded or got crackz of. I've got Absynth, FM7, and a shit load of freeware synths. I recommend everyone tries the junglist synth, nice cheesy jungle bass sounds :).

You can get pretty technical on fruityloops if you try, i think the best thing about fruityloops is the automation, you can automate so much stuff on it, synths don't seem to automate, which is annoying, but i suppose they take some time to synth the new sounds or something, one day hopefully that kind of stuff would be possible. Sorry, got of the subject a little bit there.

There are so many amazingly good features built into fruity loops and i reckon the only real way to learn them all is to just play around on it all the time, i think its the little things that do it for me. Things like the button on the menu on each sample window that can make that sample automatically switch to a free effects channel, and things like the mixer built into the FX window on the new version. unfortunately i can't use that because i don't have the full version, which is really beginning to annoy me now, let me tell you.

dante: I fucking love that evil synth on that new track. What did you use?

^^ Fuityloops? Synths do automate dude, from memory, you gotta click on the top left little icon on the synth window, and then you should be able to click an option that says "edit events" and that lets you change the events for a knob in the pattern you have selected.
You should also be able to link a controller to any of the synth's knobs, which will allow you to do it in real time.

And I agree, the junglist is an excellent VST synth for dark bass sounds!

Anyway, I have a new track on my site!
The track is called Underground (Original Mix) and it's a 145bpm acid stomper, so please have a listen people, and tell me what you think!!!
www.mp3.com.au/steveelektro/

Anyone in Australia able to help me get a copy of some programs for making the beats? Like FLstudio and whatever else the kiddies are using, its just that i dont have the ability to download dese programs coz of a firewall but would happily pay in many ways (....no not THAT way) to ensure a copy of a few progs....if you think we can do a deal lemme know *wink*

for the good of the dance music award at the arias!! :D

Sup everyone. I uploaded a new song called the "Funeral Song" on mp3.com/jihan. The song was written shortly after watching the movie, "The Requiem for a Dream". I experimented quite a bit w/ the beats and paid particular attention to its relationship to the entire music.

yeah, some synths automate, but not all, and thats what annoys me. All the built in ones do i think, but alot of freeware/ shareware ones don't and i don't beleive absynth or FM7 do either. Its well annoying.

Last edited:
dante: Whats this method of using fruityloops live you are talking about? i usually just alter synth sounds, add new melodies and best and play around with effect and the actual sequencing of the track myself. I'd be interested to hear how you do it.

finally...

...these bitches is retired...

Last edited:
C'mon kidz, I know you were waiting on something juicy... let's hear what you think, bad or good.

One more song up for scrutiny... Childhood Lost, same link.

Status
Not open for further replies.