Your Productions Go Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got three tracks at http://www.mp3.com/steve_elektro/
They are very old though, I have been working on a few tracks lately but now that I know alot more about what I'm doing, I'm spending heaps of time getting them right, so there is nothing at all new yet, but maybe soon.
The three on there are acid trance and acid tek.
Let us know what you think anyway, just keep in mind that they are old.

This is supposed to be a thread where you review each other's music, not just expect your stuff to be reviewed... :|

Like I said earlier, you might find that people are more interested in having a listen to your stuff if you write a few comments on something of theirs.

hedtwin: Finally got your choons, so here are my reviews.

"My spirit has fallen, a remix": MMM, MMM. I love this intro. In fact, there isn't a lot I don't like about the song. If I could comment on anything, it'd be the drum samples. Have a look around for some nice dubby kicks and hats, and I reckon it'd make this song something in my permanent playlist. :)

"What R U Getting From It v2": OUCH, volumes... even at low volumes this track farts like no tomorrow. Have you ever done much to do with mastering before? 'Cause I can hear is what seems like unwanted digital distortion till that nasty chunky bass at the start drops out.
Once it's actually in the guts of the track, it's got a rather nice flow.. almost symphonic in nature. Nice filter cuts and breakdown.
I'd be able to enjoy it a lot more if the volumes and distortion were sorted out me thinks. If you are willing to spend some money, get a pair of good headphones or a good set of monitors, 'cause they'll make a world of difference to your music. :)

"new fl lets play": I like the beat, but the percussion seems a bit light on for my likes. The steel drums also sound slightly out of key, not matching the stab...
The scratching and vocal samples really work with the track, but when the second load of kicks and snares comes in, the drums take over and leave the vocals in the back of the mix.. seems a bit overpowering. Again, have a fiddle with your mastering.

Hope this is helpful. =D And come on nephil! Where's the links to your stuff, huh? :p

Si Ingwe

Si Ingwe: I'm listening to your RAMI track. It is not something I would usually listen to (I'm more on the prog side), so I don't think I'm qualified for giving you advice/opinions.

It's deffinetly a peak time track. I like the 'explosion' around 5:07 mark.

Overall, I think it's very good - sounds professional. A bit too quick for my taste, but, as said earlier, I'm just an old geizeer that likes to listen to his stuff that's under 130bpm =D

Non-electronic music

Ok, I'm looking for some constructive criticism on some of my recent performances. I'm not a producer, and I don't care for electronica, really, so unless a regular band posts in here, please don't expect any reviews from me, unfortunately.

mp3s

That's the link. The first band is my main project, we're relocating to Chicago in July to try and get things off the ground. The tracks were recorded live from a venue in town with a couple stereo mics (SM58s, I believe, not the greatest choice), so some of the instruments may be tough to discern well although all instruments were miked. I'm mainly looking for feedback on this stuff.

The second set of mp3s are from a jazz quintet I played in, the mics were a couple of overhead condensers (unsure of the model) with the drums being unmiked.

I'm the drummer in both cases. :)

I'd just like to say thanks to Dante and hedtwin for their feedback. That's the kind of constructive criticism I've been looking for. U guys r asking all the right questions. Much appreciated . :)

In fact, it's inspired me to go sample shopping tonight.

BTW hedtwin, I just listened to your track 'My Spirit Has Fallen' and it's quite a beautiful piece of music. I love the dreamy melody and the whispers. And the drums are nice and minimal.
Do u plan to elaborate on this track? Cos it just seems to come to an end too soon. But what's there is quality stuff.

Cheers

heya, to all those using fruityloops - how do you convert a track into an mp3? is there software that is required? cuz i've got 4 or 5 fruityloops tracks in progress & would really like to hear what other people think.

i was fortunate enough to be able to demo one of them at our club, it got a good reaction from the crowd =D which is the only real indicator i have.

any advice much appreciated!

dr seuss said:
heya, to all those using fruityloops - how do you convert a track into an mp3? is there software that is required? cuz i've got 4 or 5 fruityloops tracks in progress & would really like to hear what other people think.

i was fortunate enough to be able to demo one of them at our club, it got a good reaction from the crowd =D which is the only real indicator i have.

any advice much appreciated!
Just go to File -> Export -> MP3
Then choose your quality and press go to render.

PM me if you have any probs.

DANTE:
I think the sound of most of the tracks I checked out appear way too “dry”, supposedly due of the somewhat lacking use effects. The bassline on "Heated" is wicked! As for the "bac_a1" and "Minimalisticated" tracks - these are the crazy shit! Kinda reminds me of the banging brand of techno that Speedy J or possibly Chris Liebing are producing and playing. If you haven’t checked it out, I urge you to pick up a copy of Speedy J’s "Loudboxer" album, if you haven’t already done so, for some inspiration or whatever. But nevertheless, the distorted sound would of those tracks would probably kick the living shit out of the punters in a German techno club. Now, for the In the dark track, I would recommend you to try to put some fatter pads in the background to make the sound fuller.

Actually, if it’s ok for you, I would like a shot at remixing "Minimalisticated" – I think that could turn out to be quite interesting. What kind of equipment do you use? Software, hardware..?

But like I said, you could benefit from using a bit more effects such as reverb or delay in your productions to make them seem more “alive”. That’s the best tip I can give you. Keep up the good work!

ASTRAL CONNECTION:
Strange music indeed. I can’t seem to find a steady rhythm in neither of the two tracks I downloaded ("Caterpillar Beach" and "Civilization"). Don’t get me wrong, arrhytmia (as well as disharmony) can be cool put in the right context, but in this format, to me, it just doesn’t seem right. I find it very demanding to listen too, and let me be the first to say, I love IDM and weird electronica of all sorts. But nevertheless, I have to second what hedtwin said, that it sounds a little bit too random. And what you were saying about mixing psytrance and D&B, which one of the two tracks is that?

HEDTWIN:
The "My spirit has fallen" track kinda reminds me of Jean Michel Jarre, only except the synthetic drums. To be honest, I think that I would find the track twice as nice if you had just left the rhythmic part out of it. But, if you feel that you really need a beat on this track, I would advise you to change the extremely synthetic-sounding drums with some more organic sounding drums. I think that making the whole track a bit more dirty is also a good idea. Otherwise, it’s a nice, weird and floating track.

Same thing goes for the "what r u getting from it v2" track, too synthetic drum sounds. And yes, I must admit, I really have a problem with that. As far as the "New fl lets play" is concerned, I don’t like it at all. Maybe it’s because I am utter tired of listening to the same old FruityLoops samples one more time, I don’t know.

CHRISTIAN PUNCH:
I know it’s already been said, but you really need to lay off the standard Fruity samples. Basically that’s what I have to say, this really isn’t my style. Although To the hardcore kinda reminds me of the gabber that I listened to a couple of years ago. ;)

JIHAN:
Yes! "The Fleeting Water Waves"! Beautful track! Nice effect use and composition, although the high-pitched piano in the middle sounds kinda.. I don’t know.. Off. Try using a Rhodes piano or something instead, I think that would fit well into a dreaming track like this. Nice pads! This is really some good shit. Same goes for "The Unknown", the song has kind of a mystic vibe going on, but I suppose that’s why it has that name. :D

I really can’t think of anything else that’s wrong with these tracks other than what I’ve already mentioned. Keep up the good work!

STEVE ELEKTRO:
Your stuff really reminds me of anything on Tracid Traxxx or any other kind of German hard-/acidtrance label, not excactly my style any more, but I find your stuff almost as good as anything released on these labels. "General Theory" was definitely your best track out of the three on your site, what kind of equipment do you use? The 303 bassline is awesome! :)

Some links to sites where samples can be downloaded:
www.analoguesamples.com
www.djsamples.com
www.dogbeats.co.uk
www.samplearena.com

Now, I wanna see some reviews of my stuff! ;)

JohanK

"Linear Thoughts": very nice percussion arrangement straight from the get go, but I found myself wanting some more variation... i suppose i prefer my percussion to be a bit busier, and take more control of the song. The bassline, synth lines and stabs are beautiful, and it's a very well produced track.

Spose it's just a personal preference stopping me from saying this is exceptional. If you were keen, I'd love to have a chance to make a bit more of a harder version of this track :)

I'd have no hassles in allowing you to remix Minimalisticated either, I'll PM you to organise. it =D I actually use FruityLoops with a number of VST instruments and plugins, and play live with the same setup.. and it's funny you should mention Speedy J and Chris Liebing, I love them both, saw Speedy here in Australia in March.. I've now got a signed copy of "Loudboxer". :)

If you wanted to, you could check out some of the clips and tracks at www.c-tek.org/dante/ as well, as those are short samples of much newer Live PA songs. Especially check out "distorte", a brand new thing i just knocked up that I'll definately be tweaking at my next gig next week. :)

"Refunktion": Man, this is one of the styles I'm really into at the moment, really nice underwater sounding synth stabs with differing percussion to just the constant 4/4... Nearly reminding me of some Steve Stoll I've got lying around. :)

Again, I'm a bit hung up on the percussion though, it's got a nice chunky sound to it, but I really do like the harder percussive style. And again, that's the only thing, a personal preference... want me to give this one a shot too? ;)

Sorry I couldn't download any more, I've gotta be really careful with my net usage... can't afford new music hardware when you accrue stupid internet bills :p

I will beging to listen to everyone's track... and giving my in depth personal opinion and review :) so watch out now... sorry i haven't came in earlier and checked anyone out.. but I didnt even know this existed..

Thankyou very much for the review, its always good to get friendly critisism. To be honest with you i haven't relaly got a clue what mastering is :p. I kind of like the farty bass at the begining of that track myself, just kind of what i like doing at the moment, i imagine i will eventually tire of it though, and when i do, i'll try and get a hang of this mastering thingy :).

I completely agree about the drums on "my spirit has fallen. Been thinking that for a while, just not find the rigth kind of thing for it yet, so it stays as it is till i get a hold of something i think works :). However, i do think it definetly needs the drums, i do have a version on my pc somewhere that is without drums and i don't reckon ts as good. Mite upload it at some time.

And as for the other one, as i said i don't think its all that great, its only up for my mates benefit really. I agree that its too fruityloops and all the steel drum things are out of tune, and i don't think i will bother doing anything to it really, but then again maybe i will, you never know.

I'm off to get pissed for my mates b/d now, so i don't have time to listen and review everyones tracks, but all in good time!

^^ I just tried but you can't post links to tracks on mp3.com, when you rightclick and save as, you just get an m3u file! ...grrrrr:X

Anyways, I'll review peoples stuff real soon, so expect a page from me =D

www.mp3.com/steve_elektro/

This is something I made in a couple of hours. I still need to play around with each single sound, but you'll get a general idea of the track. I suppose you can classify this as prog. breaks.

I just want to see what you people think of it so far, if the direction I'm taking is the right one.

Just Right click and 'Save as...'
Here's the track

Thanks in advance!

thanks steve :)

i have registered & uploaded to iuma, but it will take a coupla days so i will post again when it's ready!!! =D

will be reviewing other people's work when i am finished my exams & have access to something other than dialup...

cheers!

"If you want your music critically reviewed, then take the initiative and review someone else's music."
-sorry bout that, i woulda been on here long ago listening to all this stuff, but i was away in hungary, working in the sun %). damn, i love it there, i was so sad to come back to rainy old london.

anyways, SEUSS: im just listening to ueto now, and i like the bass. hhhmmmm, it seems like choppy, like its got a choppy style to it. it gets prety repetitive, and i find myself losing interest in it. i like the hi hats in the song. and the little melody around 9 minutes. i find it hard to judge, due to the length of it. there are parts which i remember i liked, and parts which didnt sound too great for me.
sorry if this wasnt too helpful, i just got back from hungary today, pretty tired.

peace

Heya Dante, just stumbled across this place.... seen you over at ITM...

Greetings to everyone, the names Matt. I write techno, tech house, house, breaks and dnb.... and everything inbetween, I try not to be too genre specific.

I'm away from my studio right now but when I have a monitoring system in front of me i'll be checking out everyones music, you can even request a listen if you like, I dont mind.

I'll leave you with a track for now...

http://dopamine.fat-man.net/recher.mp3

It's a deep slamming tech house thumper, quite slow but chunky.

Hope you like it.

I'll be back soon with some reviews of my own...

Cheers,

Matt.
www.djdopamine.com

Here's some links to some of our releases on Nocturnal, Musique Multimedia, Olive Records, and Faded Muzik. All of them are either out now, or will be out by mid summer.

High Caliber - The Funk Box EP
www.nocturnalrecordings.com check the press section
out now, charted and/or played by Rhythm Masters, Judge Jules, Joey Beltram, and Tall Paul as well as others.

here are the links:

Funk Box

Filter Fuck

Stuckmode

High Caliber - The Saturday Night EP
www.musiqueshoppe.com
out now

Saturday Night Flava

and i actually don't have the link to the b-side "Groove Tonight" but its up on www.musiqueshoppe.com just look for high caliber the saturday night ep on there and listen to the sample.

High Caliber Remix for Mark Almaria
coming out on Alex Peace's Faded Muzik this summer

Get Down (High Caliber Remix)

High Caliber - Soul Glow EP
www.oliverecords.com
coming this summer

Step Circuit

Soul Glow

Everlast

Third World Funk

thats everything thats signed right now. we're shopping over 20 tracks off right now...so we should have some more tracks coming out soon. i'll post more once they are signed.

if any cd djs want download links to play these tracks out...email me at [email protected]

if you have any problems with the links working...try back later. let me know if its working for you. i'm having issues with it. it might take you to a top 40 page and then say the link is fucked up. so try later.

Last edited:
Just a quicky, did you actually produce any of those tracks yourself? This is a thread designed for producers to get feedback from fellow producers, and that really just seems like an advertising post... 8)

dopamine: I've got your track, but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet unfortunately... will do so, and write a review soon :)

if people don't have anything else better to do, you could check out some of these clips :)

This one is a little live performance I recorded after some spliffage, hard and distorted...

http://www.c-tek.org/dante/dantedistorte150503.mp3

and this one is a crazy breaks track i've been working on recently... still in progress, just a teaser loop. :)

http://www.c-tek.org/dante/dante-breaksmp3.mp3

Status
Not open for further replies.