• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Drug/Legal issues impacting school/job

CreativeRandom

Ex-Bluelighter
When you apply and the college asks about your legal history...

Should you lie? How far can they look into your record, and what can they not access? My juvenile record is a bit dirty...

I have no idea what I am talking about: so remember that.

lie, if its as bad as you say they probably won't accept you anyway....what do you have to lose?

again, I have NO CLUE what I am talking about.

so don't listen to me

For God's sake do not lie. This is the worst piece of advice imaginable. Be up front about everything, and more likely than not you will be ok.

if its your juvenile record, won't that be cleared soon anyway? (im assuming since ur going to college) can they even check back to your juvenile record? i didnt think so but dont quote me on that. the reason i say this is because this chick i know got caught with coke when she was 17 and she's going to the same college i am now.

The thing is, colleges, to a certain extent, expect kids at some point or another to fuck up. As long as your record isn't littered with felonies, than colleges will probably not care.

However, it's when you start covering things up that Colleges, and employers, really start raising eyebrows, because this points directly to your current character.

Possession of alcohol age 16

(Felony) possession of marijuana (1/2oz-5lbs) with intent to distribute.

Petty larceny 17

Quite a rampage.

From Virginia. I believe the law here is that if a minor is convicted of a felony at the age of 14 or older, that felony and all previous convictions will be available to the public.

I am going to try to get a background check.

By the way the college I'm looking most at right now is Virginia Tech. James Madison University is popular as well as considered high up so I may consider that. Basically, any school in the same caliber of VT. I am pretty confident I can get into VT.

Also considering UVA. I don't know if I could get in or not, but it would be damn close.

Can anyone suggest a college forum with alot of traffic? I'm having a hard time getting responses here (it being a drug site) and PrisonTalk.com, while useful, doesn't have that much traffic.

Or should I talk to a lawyer or something? I don't know if talking about lying on an application to a school counselor would be a good idea.

In college with Felonies

Did anyone in here successfully get into college with a felony on their record, or on their juvenile record?

Or any particular criminal records at all?

Or have friends with records that are in?

Wondering how colleges take it. Please also describe the college of the criminal by SAT/GPA average or maybe additional info like ranking on Newsweek's best colleges.

Excuse my ignorance, but does having a criminal record make it difficult to get into universities in America? Or is it a decision that's made by each institution on a case-by-case basis? I do remember an act that strips students of financial aid if they're convicted of a drug offence, but surely they can't stop you attending college at all.

If it is the latter, I don't see why you can't just ask them. Send them an email if you don't want to speak to them directly - I doubt you'd be obliged to give them your name so requesting information on their admission policies is hardly going to affect your own application.

FAFSA drug conviction, then rehab issue

Actually, if you have a drug-related offense, and you use a FAFSA, there is a line where the question is "have you ever been convicted of a drug offense", and the applicant answers yes, the next question is "has you attended a rehab since your conviction?", and you answer yes, then you're good to go.
If your criminal sentence includes bars against receiving aid for school as a part of it, then you're fucked, prolly.
Peace.

This guy told me that since I had a felony conviction I wouldn't be able to recieve financial assistance regardless of whether I go to a rehab and that I wouldn't be able to buy firearms.

^true. Under the Higher Education Act, people with drug convictions are not eligible for financial aid.

Lying about a criminal record on a school application is risky, though in some circumstances more risky than others. I've spent time working for the admissions office at a major university. I know that at UT at Austin, not every appliant was checked versus any sort of criminal history report, but that varied widely according to which programs a student was applying to and whether the student was an undergraduate or graduate applicant. In programs where the vetting process and admissions requirements are somewhat higher, the probability of a check naturally grew. Graduate applicants to both the college of engineering and the college of natural sciences were always checked because those students so often worked in labs and on projects of such a sensitive nature.

There are a few factors to consider. How large is the university? The larger the university, the less likely that your criminal history will be checked. Trust, if every student at a university the size of UT was subjected to a criminal history review, the costs would be stupifying. How "sensitive" is the program to which you're applying? If chances are the department at the university in question does a lot of corporate or government contracting, the greater the probability that a check would be required. Finally, does the state in which your university stands require a check by law? I could swear that a couple of western states actually do require a check by law. I also know that several states do require a background check in order to qualify for financial aid.

In summary, my experience has been that yes, backgrounds were checked, but the circumstances varied. My recommendation is that you be honest. If there are any questions that arise, be prepared to be open and completely truthful. An honest applicant stands a much better chance at admission under any circumstance than one who chooses to omit any piece of information.

Good luck. I hope I've helped a bit.

Arrest record...

...is it true you can't get into grad school with an arrest on your record, especially drugs (even if it's simple possession)?

I mean, I've got a 3.5 GPA (hoping to raise it, though I have a class or two that might give me some problems this semester), no job yet (don't feel like working at McDonald's), but I plan on getting an internship and doing lab work... would it still be possible to get into grad school if I were to get anything on my record?

I don't really think so...I don't recall them asking anything about it. Now, you may have problems getting financial aid, but I would think that would be the biggest issue.

Are you planning on getting things on your record? ;)

if you have an arrest, make sure you know exactly whats going on with that. i have an arrest for possession but because i completed all my programs, screenings, community service and all that shit, it was reduced from a "conviction" to a "charge". on my grad school application, it asked "were you ever CONVICTED of anything". so i could legally say no and get in. i dont think that anyone can ask you if youve ever been "charged" with anything.

if you have a conviction and know it, i dont think we can help you. i would say they cant ask you that, but they asked me. it could be because im in medicine that they dont want a criminal with a degree. i dunno. just go get an application/declaration and see if it says anything.

good luck

^^^
Isn't that a misdemeanor? Usually a criminal record check only turns up felonies (or ami wrong?)