• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Drug/Legal issues impacting school/job

I'm working on getting my degree to be a mental health counselor. Given my obvious job title, I think having an addiction would be quite hypocritical of me when I most likely will assisting clients to deal with their own addictions. Fortunently my drug\alcohal use is very tame and addiction is not something I've had to face myself and I really hope I never do. Now, cigerettes on the other hand... 8)

You psych(ologist?)(iatrist?) is wrong though, for sure! Plenty of "closet" addicts work in every kind of job!!! I don't know why she thinks its so impossible for a teacher to also be an addict. Is it ethical? Well, thats up for debate. Does it happen?? Sure. And many people have no idea.

Could you work a job such as a teacher or a scientist while addicted to opiates? Sure, you could, and there are people who do.

Morally, should you work a job like those while addicted to opiates? That's where it gets complicated.

Again, it depends on how bad the addiction is - are you just taking Vicodin tabs nightly, or are you mainlining H multiple times a day? Completing your higher-education program in due course, while addicted to opiates, should at least give you an idea about how difficult it would be to continue such in the real world.

Her line about teachers with addiction is a flat-out lie. I once knew a woman who taught 2nd grade/year two, and was a huge cokehead - she even admitted to using it in the school. (I learned this the day I met her - at last call, I told her she didn't look so good, and inquired about if she had to work in the morning. She then told me her job. My jaw dropped. She said "No, it's fine. I'll just do a little blow before homeroom. The kids love me when I'm on it." ) Did it affect how successful she was as a teacher? I don't know - I never saw her in action. I know her personal life, and how she conducted it, was a mess, though. I will be discreet, but I've also met several high-functioning people who use opiates (or other hard drugs) and continue to hold onto white collar jobs.

Opiates, as compared to other habitual drugs, would obviously be the hardest challenge to use habitually in a fast-paced white-collar enviornment (er, I say it is a tie with alcohol). Most other addictive drugs, such as coke or speed, can be taken in a performance-enhancing way, and then you're just a wreck outside of the workday. You don't hear much about opiates being performance-enchancing - instead, they seem to be a means to slow life down/escape the daily grind. Think about it - if heroin were legal, the "do not drive or opperate heavy machinery" warning on the label would be very in-your-face. And for good reason (just as it is on alcohol bottles).

Also, remember that opiate addiction is one that is a tough one concerning growing tolerance and overall worsening of conditions the longer one uses. So there is a difference beteween becoming a teacher as an opiate addict and having a succesful career as a teacher while all along using opiates.

Not to derail your thread into a "is it morally okay to use opiates in certain fields of work" discussion, but honestly I would not want an opiate addict teaching my children. Functioning or not, I just don't think drugs should be used around children, or recently used before being around children. Same goes for scientist positions where you have the potential to slip up and hurt yourself and/or others very badly. I know that not all scientist jobs are physically dangerous, but my same moral policy would apply to those jobs where your actions directly affect others' safety.

Also, note that a lot of teaching jobs (aside from professional level) drug test, as do many companies which emply scientists, so be alert to this.

Last edited:
I am in school for my bachelor's majoring in the psychology of substance abuse.
i think of my drug use as something that will end up being helpful for my career. maybe that's wrong and fucked up, but i don't care. i feel like a major reason i use drugs is for research; i am curious about how drugs effect people in both the long and short term and i don't feel satisfied just by reading about it.
i want to experience a lot of drugs, at least once, first hand and if i happen to find something i like i have no problem continuing to use it as long as i can keep it under control.

I am a chemical engineer and have been using OC for 11 years, the last 4 of which have been on a daily basis. It has no effect on my motivation and I am currently at the top of my career.

We had a principal at a local elementary school get busted for selling meth out of his office. They finally got him to admit he'd been doing it for like 5 years or so. I think the other people in the office were just stupid though, how could you not notice a meth head in your midst for 5 years? This was in Pennsylvania

I knew a couple of preschool teachers who would do lines of meth in the kid's bathroom at work. Sickening. Someone even told the boss and nothing was done about it.

i know several white collar BLers who use drugs occasionally and still do their job well. but they know how to limit their usage so it does not interfere with their professional life. tho i imagine it would be hard to regulate usage if one was addicted to opiates.

I don't think it's very hard to function on opiates. If they were legal, then everyone could afford to be an addict, and we'd be putting a dent in funding for organized crime lol

Fuckit, tell them somethin, anything. start at mcdonalds. just work if you can anywhere, a place that wont ask for no explanations.

I got the same problem, except i also got a felony conviction for distribution of drugs, so at least they cant fuck you over with a background check. consider urself lucky yo....

considering that a sub-nodding dose does not detract from one's ability to function, especially if one uses as "maintenance" or medically, i see no ethical issues

thanks for the responses :p

I'm going for my B.A. in psych (which I'm afraid that I'm not going to be able to do anything with once I'm done without getting my Masters, and that would well, kill me...anyway) but I abuse my prescription painkillers. I tend to stay more on the "legal" side. I don't know if I could get away with it in practice or not.
On the topic of practicing professionals with addictions, I learned the other day that 1 in 6 nurses have a problem with alcohol and/or drugs.

You could say you started a successful dog walking company or something that wouldn't take a lot of skill and wouldn't have a lot of proof behind it. Then you don't appear to have any skills you lack, and you have a credible excuse. You worked by yourself and didn't advertise, so there are no records of your past service.

Personally I would really struggle to keep a straight face while presenting a fake story about starting a successful dog walking business haha

So I left my Job a few years ago.
I had been there for a few years and was doing well.
Then I started dealing drugs on the side to make a bit of extra cash - before I knew it, I was making stupid amounts of money so I decided to walk out on my job.
I have been out of society ever since, leading an antisocial existence for all this time.
My life consists of nothing but drug use and getting money.
I have even been too afraid to visit family members because I will look like a failure when they ask me 'what are you doing with yourself these days'?
I need to get my life back and to move away from the shithole of drug dealing.
The problem is - how do I explain to people in my job interviews what I have been doing for the past 3 years?
There's an unexplainable gap in my life and it's holding me back from re-entering society.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thankyou.

Fuck society. But that's just ME

For you...I'd say you should tel lthem half the truth. Tell them you been in the importing exporting buisness ;)

Until they ask for references. I've had some odds and ends jobs similar to dog walking (dog sitting) to earn extra cash amongst other hobbies that I have that earned me some money, and I have had people ask for references.

Fake references have always worked for me. Mind you, I'm not exactly applying for brain surgeon jobs either.

Say you were fulfilling a childhood dream of something creative. Like "I always wanted to write a novel, and I finally had enough money saved up that I could devote all my time to it, so I quit my job and wrote for 3 years, I'm shopping the manuscript around, but it's hard to get picked up as a first time author" Something like that would work, it shows passion and discipline as well as filling the gap. You could replace writer with painting, music, anything else really.

If they like you and think you are good for the position then they will hire you. I've gone into job interviews and told them (not shitting you) as a response to over half of their questions "I have no experience at all so I don't think I can answer that question" to which they responded "Yep, that's true!" lol. As long as you make a good impression, show enthusiasm, and look and act respectable, you're good to go. References are the last thing anybody worries about. You have none and you had "a 3 year break where you took time for yourself." Put your past behind you and put it in your head that you want the job you are after and that is your goal. Forget about dealing and everything associated with it and don't worry about that part of your life tripping you up because simply worrying about it like you are is going to trip you up more than it ever will.

Just say you took time off to help with family problems (sickness, divorce, death, ie.)

I just tell them I was experiencing humanity

Why else would I have multiple year gaps throughout my work history