• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

trazodone during opiate withdrawal...?

r0yaLty

Greenlighter
i just got some trazodones and was wondering if they help sleeping during opiate withdrawal? lunesta didnt work and halcion was reallllllly great i thought but it wasnt my script so i couldnt get too much of it and now im left with these...and i just wanted to know if they are worth it before i went on with it...thanks for any help.8)

If you had a small habit with pills or something then it will help you. But, if you have a big habit like myself then it wont do much but make you feel a tiny bit better physically. How many mg pills do u have? Some people think that its good to taper with but ive never tried it myself.

I had a big oxycontin/xanax/dope habit and these really helped me during withdrawl. When I quit I was dosing 700mg+ oxycontin a day. To be considered weak by a lot of people I know (I don't know why) Trazadone kicked my ass. I would be out cold 30-45mins after I took it most nights after the first 5 or six days of withdrawl. I was on high doses of it, and was told that because of the size of my habit, it still might not help, but it definitely did. Halcion helped most of my friends with sleep, but I never really slept on it...go figure.

Desyrel is a tricyclic antidepressant, similar to Elavil (amitriptyline), and Anafranil (Chlomipramine). It has a sedative nature that is often used to induce sleep, It is very effective for about 45 minutes after ingestation, but wears off quickly. One of the drawbacks with Desyrel(trazodone) is that it is known to cause priapism in males, this is typically found in doses higher than 150mg.

It should help you to fall asleep, but the RLS that often accompanies opioid withdrawal will keep you from having very good sleep. Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril) might be a better suggestion, or even a good combination to help you find some sleep during your struggle with the "sickness"

Yea I consider Trazadone a decent med to use for opiate detox, by itself it might help a little bit. 50-100mg hits quick like 15-1/2 hour and sleeping comes quick, but in mid w/d like day 1-3 it is pretty hard to get to sleep even with heavy hitter sleepers [seroquel, Zyprexa, risperdal]. Trazadone used with a cocktail of other opiate detox drugs has worked for me in the past [clonadine, benzos, muscle relaxers, sleepers, compazine, lomotil, etc, etc.]

Depending on your habit sleep is hard to accomplish the first few days, but Trazadone is better than nothing and it will definetly help after the initial w/d to get your sleep cycle a bit more regular. A nice thing about trazadone is you really dont build a tolerence to it unless your using it for month on end, some ppl complain about the negative effects it has on your dick, I believe some say it gives you a hard-on non stop but that never was the case for me.

If you are on your 2-3rd day and sleep doesnt seem possible try 100-200mgs and you should be out.

IMO Seroquel, Zyprexa and Risperdal are not indicated in this case. Two of those are anti psychotics and one is an anti manic agent. All are very very powerful medications.

A combination of Klonopin/Clonidine works good IME. Perhaps even Chlordiazepoxide/Clonidine would be more effective. The only thing that is going to totally alleviate the symptoms is to give the body what it wants, more opioids.

the thing about trazodone is that even though it's sleep inducing qualities are apparent, theres also some severe paraesthesia and hot and cold flashes involved during the night.. so you wake up a lot and you also have very vivid, horrible dreams.

if youre looking for sleep which you cant get because of withdrawal, try an AP like zyprexa, seroquel, or anythign mentioned above. for RLS if you have it, a requip script is easy to procure as well as a neuontin or lyrica script.. the last one especially working excellently for my benzo withdrawal a month back.

Valium said:
the thing about trazodone is that even though it's sleep inducing qualities are apparent, theres also some severe paraesthesia and hot and cold flashes involved during the night.. so you wake up a lot and you also have very vivid, horrible dreams.

if youre looking for sleep which you cant get because of withdrawal, try an AP like zyprexa, seroquel, or anythign mentioned above. for RLS if you have it, a requip script is easy to procure as well as a neuontin or lyrica script.. the last one especially working excellently for my benzo withdrawal a month back.

Just wanted to compare my experience, to show both sides of things. The trazadone sleep inducing qualities for me were not only apparent, but extreme. I never experienced any severe parathesis or hot and cold fashes during the night (other than the flashes accompanying the opiate withdrawl, which would be present with or without the trazadone during withdrawl).

I sometimes woke up once maybe twice at the most during the night, and when I was woken, I would be back asleep within minutes. Soem nights I wouldn't be woken at all. Also, never experienced any horrible, or even negative dreams while taking trazadone. Honestly, I do remember having a few vivid dreams while taking trazadone, but most of the time I dreamed I wouldn't even remebr it the next day.