• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

who's an amateur photographer here?? show your wares!!

I've only had my hands on a digital camera for one night (and it's not even mine!), so if there's a word for whatever becomes before amateur then that's me ;) Doodle's stuff is the bomb.

Sunset from my balcony, level adjustment done in Photoshop to enhance the colours.
IMG_2514d.jpg

Wilting frangipani.
IMG_2537.jpg

Firstly, the photos already posted are simply stunning, and i'm afraid mine don't even begin to compare... having said that, i love taking photos and enjoy sharing the things i find beautiful. That's the wonderful thing about photos, it gives you such an amazing insight into what the individual finds so beautiful/interesting/important enough to them that they take the time to capture that instant forever.

I'm a very amateur photographer, i wouldn't even call myself a "photographer", expect that i enjoy taking photos (not in the fact tha i really know what i'm doing:

The side of the Mehino shipwreck at Fraser Island:

FraserIslandNewYears2005-2006053.jpg

One of the tracks through Bribie Island:
IMG_1143.jpg

Tidal lake on Bribie Island:

IMG_1156.jpg

Taken at the De Bortoli Vineyard, Yarra Valley, VIC:

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

These were taken in my grandparents garden:

Camellia

IMG_0882.jpg

Bromiliad:

IMG_0895.jpg

berries of some kind:

IMG_0866.jpg

Full Moon:

IMG_0788.jpg

This was taken years ago, on my old manual instamatic, sunrise from my balcony. I love this one, it was an absolute fluke an there's no photoshopping.

sunriseatpembrokestreet.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome Samadhi!!! Especially love the first water 'ripple' one!

I took this when i went back to Brisbane last week. It's about 5pm on the Brisbane river...taken on the ferry.
citycatsun.jpg

yay brisbane! that's an awesome photo.

meanwhile i'm ropeable... i was took the best photo of my life by accident on friday, meaning to just get the sunset when i was on a train, but a tree came into shot and was directly in the middle, blocking out the sun, it looked really cool.

then i deleted it off my camera by accident.

:X

Great shot! Simple yet awesome.

What's the black shadow in the top right corner?

haha no its from the border. that oen looks better with the frame i think.

samadhi said:
This was taken years ago, on my old manual instamatic, sunrise from my balcony. I love this one, it was an absolute fluke an there's no photoshopping.

sunriseatpembrokestreet.jpg

Film just picks up colours better.
Even if you compare the best digital SLR you can find, and the best manual SLR - the manual will always come out better. :)
I can't tell you exactly why, i'm sure i could ask my tutor and he'd be able to give me some hardkore explaination about the chemical processes of transfering light onto a negative and so on, but i'm happy just to know that there will always be a use for traditional techniques and processes. And that hopefully there will always be people to appreciate them.

And that is why i believe that digital photography will never take the place of film.

[/random photogeek rant]

^ i totally agree bloss :)

to my (admittedly untrained) eye, film photos always seem to have so much more depth than digital....i heart them!

pl4yerOne....beaut park bench shot. Sooo crisp, and yeah.. borders rock!

BloSs0m said:
Film just picks up colours better.
Even if you compare the best digital SLR you can find, and the best manual SLR - the manual will always come out better. :)
I can't tell you exactly why, i'm sure i could ask my tutor and he'd be able to give me some hardkore explaination about the chemical processes of transfering light onto a negative and so on, but i'm happy just to know that there will always be a use for traditional techniques and processes. And that hopefully there will always be people to appreciate them.

And that is why i believe that digital photography will never take the place of film.

[/random photogeek rant]

That's one of the reasons I've held off for so long on buying a digicam and why I'm still pretty torn on the issue. I'm currently using my dad's digi and have been wanting for awhile to get a DSLR. My biggest dilemma with my old film automatic was the amount of film I went through, which I fear would be even worse with a film SLR... especially when learning how to use all the settings. We did have an old film SLR here which unfortunately died several years ago :( My little daydream is to one day own my own house which has a dark room in which I can do my own prints cos I loved doing that in year 12 design classes. Getting a decent camera and learning how to use it has been on my to do list for so long now... just a matter of putting a little more money aside. I think at this stage though I'll be getting a DSLR and will see how I go with that.

Anyway, at the moment I've just been playing around with lighting and taking photos without flash. Here's one (Thanks to ozbreaker for letting his oggs pose for this shot ;)):

Oggs_09a.jpg

Also, was wondering if those using Digital SLR cameras would mind posting some details about the camera they are using, pros/cons, approx price range etc. There's a few I've been checking out, including the Canon 350D, but wanted to get some user feedback.

There are some really beautiful photos in this thread!

the Pentax ist ds is a good digital slr for its price.

I'm hoping to get one on my way home- it has a changeable lense <3

My film slr is a pentax MZ50- a bit older but still a great camera to play around with.

picture0032do.jpg

newimage1qz.jpg

These are from the Sydney Harbour Bridge the other night...I really like the lighting, the only thing I'm disappointed about is that I didn't realise how much movement there is standing on the bridge...so even when I was standing completely still the camera was still moving too much to stop it being blurry. Or maybe I'm just crap. ;)

Oh yeah, and I've got an Olympus FE-110...I don't really know anything about cameras though, I pretty much just brought it cause it was cheap.. :)

Katmeow, I've got a Canon 350D (body only) with a 17-85mm f4-5.6 Image Stabilising lens. You can buy an enthustiast kit which has this combo.

Pro's
Low noise, heavily featured with both manual and creative mode settings, pictures like glass up until ISO400, it's a go anywhere lens, image stabilising helps improve the bad shots, low priced d-SLR, plenty of accessories.

Con's
Canon menu's are rather fiddley. Lens has some noiceable barrel distortion for close up subjects at 17mm, not a very fast lens at f4. The lens is not an L series (obvious).

Note:
* Unless needed, invert the lens flare hood (optional) so that it prevents dust from getting in between gaps in the zoom barrels in the lens. I had placed my lens flare hood on order for many, many weeks before it arrived and now I have dust inside it.
* Be careful not to buy too many EF-S lenses as the new Canon 5D now demands EF lenses.

i was going to post some images - but i'll just link my website instead. link

re canon and lenses - this is to do with the sensor size. consumer digitals (and some pros) have a sensor that is smaller than 35mm film. as a result some lenses are designed only for those cameras. lenses designed for the larger sensor, and film, will work on both.

i'm in 2nd year at RMIT B.Arts (photography). loving every minute of it.

^^Cool photos Lucas!! Hope your forays into the photography field are fruitful!

Thanks for the info raving loony :)

Raz, you're doing better than me... unless I've got something to rest the camera on, there's no point taking pics without the flash - it just ends up a complete blur!

trees2.jpg

I took this one in St Kilda.

This is one of Georgia from this afternoon that I quite liked:

gfeet.jpg