• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Adderall and Tums

I'm not sure why you need to take that much. I get teva brand, and I hate XR's, can't stand them. If you like XR's that's probably why. IR's don't last as long. However, I have also noticed if you take two doses of IR, the effects last longer instead of a big dose all at once.

And, dosing IR twice is like taking 1 XR of an equivalent dosage.

You should never assume somebody else who may be about the same sise as you will have the same tolerance and have their body be able to break down the active ingredients in a similar time period as well. As you know; I have a liver ensyme (CYP450 2d6, 3a4, etc) that is hyper-active and will digest many drugs aggresively beyond anything within normal prescriber's guidelines. It is frustrating getting drugs as anything but IV will have me needing to consume more than 95% of the population out there.

And that is just it; there is a bell curve so to speak of people in terms of tolerance. I know you can use a small amount of amphetamines and be high as a kite, whereas I use 60mg/day of pure d-amphetamine XR which I usually crush anyways and just came back from 6 days off, 1 on, then 5 more off and can only get just mild stimulation. The same is true of anything, and while I agree with you that everyone should try to take the least amount possible to get the desired effects, sometimes that amount just happens to be a little more than about 90% of the population, and consequently those of us that need more medication feel like junky-scum when we know we ask for a hell of a lot more than normal doses, but that is how our bodies react.

If you are white; you stand about a 15% chance of inheriting such a liver-kidney system which will digest and metabolize certain drugs very quickly like mine. On the other hand you can also be lucky like CH here and be set for life taking no more than 30mg of Adderal a day. It is also dependent on age, sex, weight, history of alcoholism in the family, alcohol intake, liver damage, kidney function, hydration and probably a number of factors we haven't even found out about yet.

Then again, I too would recommend that anyone wishing to get the most out of there Adderal/Dexedrine/Desoxyn or whatever amphetamine preparation they now use to take an amount of stomach Ph lowering medication; tums of which is usually most pleasant followed by sodium bicarbonate. Other advice to keep tolerance to amphetamines down: use magnesium and l-tyrosine before and after use along with occasional light doses (30mg-60mg) of Dextromethorphan (cough and cold preparation) so you can "reset" the parts of your brain which hold the information about how to "attack the invader" that is the amphetamine molecule via the NDMA pathway.

Capt. Thx for the quick and informative response I've stalked bluelight for a few months daily now and I knw you know what ur talking about. It perhaps would of helped (to understand why it seems like I'm taking huge doses lol) if I had mentioned they were the corapharm(sp?) cor 135 pink pills. Aka 20mg IR that are junk. I usually take xr. I took 4 20ir pinks in 6 hrs and it felt like a half assed 30mg lol. But I do think it may have stretched the duration a bit (probably because of the last 20mg dosed after the tums). But thanks again. Glad I didn't pay for the terrible cor irs. I'd cry lol.

If you want you could PM me anytime to talk about why you could be taking such large doses and not noticing a pronounced affect. It could be the issue of liver metabolization like I talked about above, could be that you are gaining tolerance and just not taking a break from the effects. As always though if your PM doesn't work, or you are a greenlighter you can probably reach me on AIM at "FlyWithCloudNine" which is the account I use to entertain little questions from bluelight forums and to talk with mods who forget there place as the lucky few who gain no tolerance to shit! *eyes CH*

Everyone I know online, in real life, and even the dead think that Barr IR's have something wrong with them and that the XR's are much more tolerable. Its not just you, its the pharmaceutical company itself. I just know I love my Barr XR Dextroamphetamine capsules!

Last edited:
X 4 both of yours advice. Captain the brand im referencing I used the corapharm pinkies have a long List of problems and such. There's alot of discussion on these "new pink addys" that are terrible even just here on BL. Eff em lol. But thx anyways!

Then again, I too would recommend that anyone wishing to get the most out of there Adderal/Dexedrine/Desoxyn or whatever amphetamine preparation they now use to take an amount of stomach Ph lowering medication; tums of which is usually most pleasant followed by sodium bicarbonate. Other advice to keep tolerance to amphetamines down: use magnesium and l-tyrosine before and after use along with occasional light doses (30mg-60mg) of Dextromethorphan (cough and cold preparation) so you can "reset" the parts of your brain which hold the information about how to "attack the invader" that is the amphetamine molecule via the NDMA pathway.
Well put.

Everyone I know online, in real life, and even the dead think that Barr IR's have something wrong with them and that the XR's are much more tolerable. Its not just you, its the pharmaceutical company itself. I just know I love my Barr XR Dextroamphetamine capsules!
That's why I go for the teva brand.

sorry to bump... but..

What about insufflation? Would taking an antacid make a difference if one was insufflating them? I mean, I know that the whole point of insufflating them would be to have it all absorb into mucous membranes, but im sure there's a lot of active ingredient in the "drip". Am I wrong about that?

Also, Does taking Tums have any effect on Blood or urine PH levels?

Zraw, you only need a small amount of baking soda.

In my opinion, keep in mind, I have only tried this once, but antacids merely potentiate the negative effects of amphetamines, rather than the good ones. Other people support my claim.

I will probably try this again in the future, but I wasn't wowed by the results at all. I did this with Adderall, though, maybe Dexedrine is different. Being that, Dexedrine is the "smoother" of the two.

This is simply not true. Your plasma level of amphetamines probably just passed the pleasant range into the range where side effects take over. My experience has been a even increase of all effects. Dexedrine is indeed better as you need a far higher dose for the side effects to become intolerable.

To the poster above, drinking water will dilute your urine and make it less acidic but there are specific prescription drugs that lower blood and urine pH.

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but is it also possible to put baking soda in a gelcap? Or has it really to be in water to be effective?

baking soda doesn't do shit for me... and it tastes like ass...

go for a 5 min run, you will see it working immediately.... also take a shit before you take it, and have some food 3-4 hours in. 4 years of experience. also no caffeine AT ALL with it or you get depression on the comedown for some reason (for me)
"have some food 3-4 hours in". Do you mean it should be taken on an empty stomach? And if baking soda doesn't do shit for you - what does? Tums or mb smth else?

How well do some of the methods work like eating Tums or baking soda if you already take a GERD medication like Prilosec?

Previously stated but still important. Basifying agents don't help you focus more or better, they amplify the amplified. In my experience taking two tums before an addie usually results in strained focus, agitation, restlessness and anger. Which isn't exactly what I'm looking for, plus if done too often can affect tolerance. Better to balance ph levels through natural means such as proper diet, but each to their own.

The tums/baking soda/rolaids etc serve the purpose of increasing the pH of the stomach and GI, aiding in a higher BA/peak plasma level of the drug, as the solubility and permeability of things like amphetamine are higher in an alkaline/basic environment.

As someone else said, I think any perceived bad effects you are experiencing are due to the side-effect of the actual drug itself.. You've just reached the dose (or blood concentration) where you are experiencing more of the unwanted side-effects.

There's been plenty of studies done showing how the peak plasma level of drugs are increased after consumption of some sort of alkalinizing agent (like tums) to increase pH of the environment (if drug has higher solubility in higher pH, that is. Otherwise, it may be decreased). Actually just read one on opioids taken sublingually, for example methadone Cmax jumped from 30 something percent to like 75% when pH was raised from 6.5 to 8.5. Pretty incredible.

Ahh, here is the article I read. Short and sweet about SL opioids and how pH effects BA.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2458208

Im sure there's something for amphetamine, though..
IDK. dont feel like looking any longer, haha this article is talking more about the drugs it adversely effects, but it still shows and explains how stomach pH leads to differences in absorption/bioavailability/efficacy.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/mp400256h

Here's this though:

"The oral bioavailability of amphetamine varies with gastrointestinal pH;[144] it is well absorbed from the gut, and bioavailability is typically over 75% for dextroamphetamine.[2] Amphetamine is a weak base with a pKa of 9–10;[4] consequently, when the pH is basic, more of the drug is in its lipid soluble free base form, and more is absorbed through the lipid-rich cell membranes of the gut epithelium.[4][144] Conversely, an acidic pH means the drug is predominantly in a water-soluble cationic (salt) form, and less is absorbed.[4]"

[2] "Pharmacology". Dextroamphetamine. DrugBank. University of Alberta. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
[4] "Adderall XR Prescribing Information" (PDF). United States Food and Drug Administration. Shire US Inc. December 2013. pp. 12–13. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
[144] "Adderall XR Prescribing Information" (PDF). United States Food and Drug Administration. Shire US Inc. December 2013. pp. 8–10. Retrieved 30 December 2013.

The nature of tums/sodium bicarbonate is to help with absorption from the gut and lower intestine to squeeze out a few more percent of the drug to actually reach your bloodstream and affect you.

The theory that it "only amplifies the bad effects" would make more sense if we were talking about an enzyme inhibitor (or even inducer), as most drugs get metabolized into different drugs, some of them inactive, some of them more potent or desirable, and some absolutely necessary. For example, we rely on the metabolism of codeine into morphine to get any effect from taking codeine.

Regardless, altering the pH is only going to increase the overall effects and not affect any of its metabolites disproportionately. Basically, it's about the same as dosing just a little higher with a normal gut pH, besides the specifics. So if you think you feel more uncomfortable effects when you take tums before dosing, then you may have just found your threshold of risk/reward (or pain/pleasure, something along the lines of that haha) where the negatives start outweighing, or at least becoming recognizable, among the good/euphoric effects.

Last edited:
^ You misunderstood my post, a bit. Baking soda indeed potentiates Adderall, but in all the wrong ways, (It's just my experience). It does make it last longer, but it makes the nasty side effects more pronounced. Again, I only tried it once, but other people do support my claim. Nasty side effects, such as, nervousness, jitters, etc.

In regards to XR, I'm not familiar with it. I would think, after initially basifying the acid in your stomach, and the pill has absorbed, it would be pointless to take more of the Baking later on. This is only my conclusion with Adderall IR. XR, it may make some sense. Try it, what do you have to lose? Baking soda is harmless.

Experiment: Try Baking Soda before you dose your XR, and after the 4 hour wave, redose the Baking Soda, and let me know how it goes. GL

I had the same experience, but I tried tums, and only once. I guess it depends on what you're using the adderall for, if you want to pull and all nighter and save some money or stretch your stash, then sure, I guess it works. For adhd treatment though, its far from ideal. I used my normal 60mg xr and it didn't seem to make the effect that much stronger, if at all (I didn't really notice anything) but it did keep me up all night which doesn't normally happen with that dose, I even took benzos. I would try it with ir but wouldn't try it again with xr.

Baking soda, like stated, seems to increase, for lack of a better word " side effects ". I dont notice much ADHD improvement when taken with dextroamphetamine, but slightly more punch and longer duration. Baking soda is not ideal to use all the time. If you do, be drinking plenty of water for the hydration and to flush the kidneys and bladder.

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting here on BL I’ve read lots of posts here over the years but just now decided to post because of my experience with adderall and baking soda/antacids. So I’ve been prescribed adderall 15mg XR for ADHD and I Only take it about every 2-4 a week and usually take 30mg at a time. since my second dose I always drank a little bit more then half a teaspoon of baking soda mixed in 6 OZ of water and I’ve been doing this for the last 3 months, I did not think it actually potentated adderall as much as it really did I thought I was just keeping my tolerance low with magnesium but today when I wanted to take my adderall I noticed I ran out of baking soda so I thought “oh well I’ll take it without baking soda” and I took my dose and waited 40 minuets and I was feeling very light effects from adderall like I took half my 15 mg dose, usually after taking 30mg I would be speeding and feeling good 40 minuets later so I decided to take another one, 40 minuets later I knew the 3rd pill was taking effect but it definitely was not as strong as it would of been if I took it with baking soda. So my conclusion is baking soda actually does potentate adderall and increase the BA by a lot.