• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy HPPD Thread

Stop using any kind of reacrational drug if its too much of a problem and eat healthy + all that shiznaz. I can't really understand what your describing but it sounds a lot like it might just be static. Google it, its been there your whole life its just very common for people who have tripped to mistake this for HPPD or going insane as static is a lot clearer after tripping.

I think you roll on mdma too? (your name is obvious :D ) MDMA causes HPPD too...
Abstinence from all psychedelics/amphetamines etc. (in fact drugs) is the only solution.
You'd better try sleeping regularly 8 hours minimum. Also start exercising.
If things don't improve that way, you'd better seek medical help.

Did LSD permanently damage my vision?

For about 7 months now my vision hasn't been normal. Everything is static-y,flashy and sparky/grainy. The walls around me always seem to stretch and objects seem to breathe. At first it happened a few times throughout the day and for the past 5 months it's been continuous. no breaks. I used to do a lot of LSD earlier in 2011 and what I see looks a lot like the visuals I would get when I would trip. My psychiatrist said there has been no evidence connecting it to LSD and he thinks it's anxiety. I disagree because my anxiety is normal now. He also said it'll probably go away by December. To make sure it wasnt anything serious he had me get a MRI and an EEG and both came back negative. I also had my opthamologist do a bunch of eye exams and he didnt find anything either. So now I'm just really worried because both doctors admitted they had no clue and it hasn't gotten any better.

HPPD if anything.

I have a ridiculous amount of spotting / trails / static in my vision. Just how it goes - there's a risk / trade-off for everything you put in your body. Time and abstinence from use of drugs is all that CAN make it better (not will, can). I've read something about the racetam chemicals reducing floaters, whatever that actually means. It's something worth researching.

I just posted this in another thread like minutes ago...

According to the American Psychiatric Association's DSM-IV-TR (2000), the "essential feature" of Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder (HPPD) is "...the transient recurrence of disturbances in perception that are reminiscent of those experienced during one or more earlier Hallucinogen Intoxications."

I saw the other post, I posted a new one cus it's specific to my symptoms. I prefer you didnt because neither of us would get real answers if it was merged.

Read the DSM-IV, that is your answer.

If you've been doing a lot of LSD recently, you are getting recurring hallucinations from the LSD experiences while sober, all signs point to HPPD.

My 2pence? Try not to worry about it. It can be disconcerting at first, but it seems to go away in time. Im sure it's from the acid. Marijuana is notorious for the static vision (minor psychosis). At least they're just pseudo-hallucination/s. it won't hurt you.

Last time i did a proper LSD trip was years ago and i still notice the static, patterns and breathing objects if i concentrate hard enough :(

thanks everyone, il try to not let it bother me. I just want wanted to know what caused it and so far you've been much more insightful than the docs.

wow frying about 6-10 times a year and no static crazy post visual stuff -- what kind of L did you eat? and how much?

My psychiatrist said there has been no evidence connecting it to LSD and he thinks it's anxiety. I disagree because my anxiety is normal now.

So now I'm just really worried

^ Worrying and anxiety are one and the same. Your doctor is probably speaking a lot of sense, if you're worried about these visual disturbances you'll find it hard/impossible for them to go away as your mind will only amplify them further.

One time after one of my trips the enhanced vision the trip provided led to me noticing the floaters in my eye more, so I got this weird shining flowing effect in the bottom left hand corner of one of my eyes. I thought it was HPPD and I was really scared, it got more and more intense with each day. Then I went to see my opthalmologist, and they told me all that had happened was I became more aware of it and by focusing on it I made the problem seem worse - they told me to just ignore it as if it wasn't there.

So I did, a day or two later it was completely gone and hasn't come back :)

HPPD is a very real thing, but in my experience most people who report having HPPD don't. They simply either: A) Tripped recently so still have some lingering visuals (this is not HPPD, HPPD is when the visuals do not go away), or B) Their trip made them notice one of their visual defects more, and through focusing on it they're not allowing it to go away.

Try ignoring it for a while and see if that helps. Also, since it's possible that it is HPPD, you should avoid any drugs - including cigarettes, alcohol, cannabis, and even caffeine, for at least a few weeks. Eat healthy, exercise, stay hydrated - and you should see improvement :)

Unfortunately if you're on any medication for your anxiety this could be the cause of the issue or could make it worse, but stopping medication abruptly just for that reason would be a bad idea - if you are on any medication you should talk to your doctor and see if changing it might help.

Just remember that LSD changes your perception and this is one of the ways in which it does it. A good period off psychedelics (including weed as it contributes) will solve this unless it is HPPD/something else.

The fastest way to make improvements in your condition is pretty basic stuff really. Trying to eat healthy, have the best sleep hygiene you can, positive attitude, and exercise. And abstinence from any kind of drug that we like to talk about here at PD. If you're not doing all these things every single day , don't stress about it, since stress is what we're trying to eliminate. Just make an effort to do these things more often. Over the next few weeks and months, you'll notice everything is working better, and your brain will have a better chance and getting fully "back to normal".

If I had that problem, I would aim to stop using all drugs entirely for at least a year to see if that helped. No alcohol, no weed, no caffeine... nothing at all. And if I didn't already have a very healthy diet and excellent exercise habits, I would begin to incorporate those in my life. Sober existence is fun too, I wouldn't take it as a buzzkill. Everything happens for a reason, and I think you will grow in certain respects from having this happen to you.

Do you guys think repeated use, or high dosage is likely to cause these visual disturbances?

Is it something you noticed worsening gradually over time, or was it like a really strong trip that left your mind a little more flexible?

I ask this because I am interested in upping my dosage next time, haha.

I don't know anyone else who uses LSD. What I'm personally aiming for is 2 - 3 times per year. Does that seem reasonable and safe? I've done mushrooms around 30 times, and have never had any problems from them.

I would agree, stop taking any drugs for a year or so, and presumably they will go away. Even drugs that seem less potent such as weed, caffeine, nicotine, and even certain foods can potentate and even elongate a trip or afterglow. I definitely know the feeling of having lingering visuals, I had a point where I still felt like I was tripping frequently for a while. Try eating carrots and other food that's good for your eyes and making sure you aren't malnutritioned, as this can happen if you trip a lot for some people (I lost 30 pounds the first few months I started tripping as such). If nothing else, just meditate and put your intentions into it, it's a tricky thing to gauge. P:
Hope this helps!
Omnz

thank you for your answers, I appreciate the help.

@rocknroll702 it was the standard blotter acid with prints and I usually took 3 tabs

@Jesusgreen thank you for the advice, over the past 7 months I made a lot of changes/tried different things (got off my anxiety meds/ignored the visuals for weeks at a time but they were always there when I looked around/didn't take acid for 8 months/got more sleep) nothing worked :(

@rave_itsrealfun!!! I'm the only person I know with this problem so probably not, but to be on the safe side you should keep it at a minimal. 2-3 times a year should be fine.

And no it happened gradually, I did acid almost every weekend from January to April of 2011 then I stopped, I didn't notice the visual distortions until 3 months later in July, I didn't do any acid again until this January since staying away from drugs wasn't working, and cus I miss tripping lol.

I'm definitely working on a healthier lifestyle but I honestly don't think I can give up the drugs. I went for a period of 3 months without touching anything, even alcohol and marijuana, but nothing changed. I don't really mind the perceptual changes as much as I minded the uncertainty of not knowing what caused it, but now I have a better idea, which is really comforting, so thank you all once again. :)

I can understand how that can seem troubling and even scary if you never heard about HPPD before. I got symptoms towards that effect in the past when I tripped almost weekly but I have a feeling about it that part of the way my perception is changed is more or less permanent, the same goes figuratively about the way I see the world - like philosophically or metaphysically. I know that's not the same of course. But I was never bothered by it and actually I like it as a sort of reminder that everything can be trippy or psychedelic and it's integrated in me now. I consider that a gift or privilege although free-minded thinking also gives me difficulties when it comes to structurizing my lifestyle and methods at work. Anyway it's not HPPD unless one is bothered by it because a disorder indicates troubles with functioning a person or their environment complains about. Of course if it's mild it is much easier to learn to accept it. I hope you can come to terms with it or even appreciate a part of it, all the best to you!

Hopefully you don't mind if I merge this into the Big & Dandy HPPD Thread. You are only two posts past greenlighter status so I'd thought I would take it easy and announce it.

Please for your own comfort check our Psychedelic Index and the Beginners FAQ to find your way around with much more ease. :) Links are below in my signature.